08. The Hidden Truth

Unintended
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

08. THE HIDDEN TRUTH

 

I finally understood what true love meant. Love meant that you care for another person’s happiness more than your own. No matter how painful the choices you face might be.

 

November 10, 2009

Choi Soojin was about to drink her coffee when another wave of nausea swept over her, making her double over then quickly covered . It had been four days since the first time she had this sickness. She placed the glass on the table and hurriedly made her way to the restroom as the wave of nausea got too strong to control.

 

She raised her head away from the cold white bowl and swallowed hard, trying to get rid herself of the off taste that seemed to have formed in . She wiped the corner of with the tissue and stared at her reflection on the mirror for a while before rocking back and forth on her heels while running a slightly shaking hand through her hair.

 

She her lips nervously then instinctively placed her left hand on her stomach. She had been thinking about the unfortunate possibility after missing her last period. She secretly searched through the internet about the symptoms women usually had when they were, you know, pregnant. She was pretty sure that Kris didn’t use any protection that night so there was always be a high possibility for her to carry his baby.

 

“Miss Choi?” The voice from behind her was filled with deep Busan accent she knew all too well.

 

“What is it, Hayoung?” She hissed without bothering to turn to face her secretary.

 

She came to a stop beside her and let out a breath. “Miss Choi, are you all right? I saw you double over earlier…” She asked, concern presented in her voice.

 

That’s it. She didn’t know if she was all right or not. She was too terrified to find out the truth. She let out a frustrated sigh while searching for something to explain that herself don’t even understand.

 

“It is my ulcer, Hayoung.” She said finally, trying as hard as she could not to look at Hayoung in the eye. “It’s been playing up again.”

 

“Are you sure, Miss?” Hayoung’s voice was softer this time and her eyes questioning.

 

“Of course.” Soojin replied firmly, raising her eyebrows condescendingly as she turned to go.

 

“I mean you couldn’t be, you know, pregnant…” Hayoung said the very last word in whisper.

 

Soojin felt her body stiffen when the word of pregnant escaped her secretary’s mouth. Was it that obvious to everyone if all the nauseas she got were caused by an unintended living thing inside her? Slowly she turned to face Hayoung and glared at her coldly, a look her secretary had grown to as ‘say it again and you’d better ready to find a new job’.

 

“No.” She replied and somewhat shocked by her own tone. Her voice was rather steady, controlled, and menacing. “I don’t think that’s possible, Hayoung.” And with that she left the restroom, heading back to her office as she felt urge to call someone.

 

 

November 12, 2009

“Look what we have here. The ice queen leaves her throne just to meet her precious best friend.” There was a mocking tone in the person’s voice. Soojin simply rolled her eyes and get up from her chair. She could see her smirk and only God knows how much she wanted to smack her head but before she could do anything, Jung Soojung suddenly pulled her into one big hug. She smiled as she wrapped her arms around her back.

 

“How are you, Jin? I swear I really want to barge in to your office because you ignored her calls. You are so mean, Jin. It has been a while since the last time we met. Don’t you miss this pretty face of mine?” Soojung complained with her baby voice then broke the hug. Soojin shook her head at her friend’s childish act. She was still the same noisy girl she had known since forever.

 

“You called me when I was attending an important meeting, Krystal.” Soojin replied and Soojung grimaced. She knew that Soojung didn’t like it when she was being called with her alias especially by people who were close with her. Jung Soojung was her best friend. She was almost like her other half and probably, no one knows her better than she did. Sadly, they couldn’t spend the time together as much as before since Soojin entered her parents’ company and Soojung started her career as a model.

 

“You did not just call me ‘Krystal’, did you?”Soojung whined.

 

“I did and you hear it, Krystal.” Soojin said playfully.

 

“Stop teasing me, Jin. So, how have you been?” Soojung leaned back against her chair then waved her hand to call the waitress.

 

“Not so good but not bad either. How about you? I bet you love Paris.”

 

“How do you know that I had just returned from Paris?” She asked with wide eyes.

 

“I’m your best friend, Jung Soojung. And also, that’s the technology had been created for.”

 

“I thought you forget our friendship since you are being all busy with the company.”

 

“Ouch, that’s hurt.” Soojin pretended to look insulted. “I only have you. How can I forget you?”

 

Soojung’s lips curled up into a smile. “I really miss the old times. When will you have time to go shopping with me again?” She propped her chin up with her elbow rested on the table.

 

“How about this weekend?” Soojin suggested.

 

“For real?” Soojung’s eyes gleamed with excitement. “Anyway, is it just me, or you look a bit pale? Aish~ you must be overworking yourself again. Soojin, you are a human. You need to rest too.”

 

Soojin raised one of her eyebrows. “I’m okay, Soojung. You don’t need to worry.”

 

“I have plenty reasons to worry, Jin. I bet you don’t even have time to find a lover for yourself. Jin, we only live once.” Soojung said with her eyes scanning the menu that made her fail to notice the sudden change in Soojin’s expression when she was mentioning about lover.

 

“I don’t think it’s necessary.” Soojin said and somehow she could hear a tinge of pain coloring her voice. “My parents had their choice already and I believe their choice is the best for me.”

 

Soojung stared at Soojin in disbelief for what she had just said. “Did you hit your head somewhere? It is you who will be tied in the marriage, not your parents! Soojin, you can’t just let your parents choose anyone they want and assume that everything will be easy in the future. After the priest announces you as husband and wife, it means you have to spend every single day of your life with him. Are you ready to live with someone you don’t love for a lifetime? Have you ever thought about the possibility of meeting your true love after you get married? You need to tell them what you want. You can’t always say yes and comply what they tell you. You are their daughter and not their robot. You sacrificed your freedom for them. You also gave up on your dreams for them. Soojin, a marriage is too much and I won’t let you throw away your happiness ever again.”

 

“But I have to do this, Soojung. If I refuse to marry with this certain man, I think my parents will ask Soorin to replace me and I can’t let it happens. Soorin is too young and I don’t want her to give up on her dreams. She won another competition last week. Do you know what she painted? It was me. She drew me. I was there when she gave her winning speech. She said that there is a girl she adores so much. She said that this girl is her inspiration. But she was sad because she never got the chance to know about her better. I know it is me she was talking about. She is the most precious thing I have, Soojung. I will do everything to make my parents let her living up her dreams.”

 

“How will you do it? By sacrificing yourself? Soojin, don’t you want to be happy?”

 

“I’m happy. Don’t ever doubt that.” Soojin looked away, avoiding Soojung’s scrutinizing gaze.

 

“Are you? You should have known how bad liar you are, Soojin. Because the last time I checked, you are not happy with your life. You are not happy with everything you have because it is not what you truly want.” Soojung replied, a one final judgment.

 

“What if I find someone I love but then my parents see him not acceptable then in the end I need to break up with him? I think it sounds worse than marrying someone I don’t know.”

 

“Oh, you have to fight for him if you really love him.”

 

“And let my parents get Soorin as my replacement? That’s too selfish, Soojung. Besides, I can learn to love that man in the future.”

 

“Why you always think only about your sister? Why you never thought about yourself? She can’t live in her ignorance forever, Jin. She needs to know what you did for her all this time. She needs to learn what pain is. She needs to learn that not everything can be happening the way she wants it to be.”

 

“If there is someone I want to make her happy, it is Soorin. This world has always been unfair to her. I don’t think she is happy to have me as her sister. She got less attention from my parents because of me. She always becomes the second choice because of me. She has never been the number one in people’s eyes because of me. I th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter