05. Tenacity

Unintended
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

05. TENACITY

    I can write the saddest poem of all tonight To think I don’t have her. To think I’ve lost her To hear the immense of night, more immense without her And the poem falls to the soul as dew to grass

 

Luhan’s apartment was like Kris’ 2nd house. It was spacious and luxury, dominated with black and white. He didn’t need to ring the bell because he knew the combination Luhan used as his passcode. Luhan was watching television in the living room when Kris arrived. He simply turned his head for a while before continue watching as Kris plopped down himself on the couch beside him.

 

“What is it again this time?” Luhan asked without looking at the younger guy.

 

“My parents should understand that this marriage doesn’t work.” Kris replied absently, leaning back against the couch. He fixed his gaze at the television but his mind was wandering around.

 

“Why did you not just call the wedding off since the beginning if you really don’t want to marry her?” Luhan said, grabbing the remote control to change the channel.

 

“And let my companies turn into dust? Hell no.”Kris spat harshly.

 

“You chose it yourself, Yifan. So stop complaining.” Luhan sighed.

 

“I’m not complaining. I’m just wondering how my parents can believe that love will blossom between me and Soorin when they don’t even love each other after spending 32 years as husband and wife.”Kris unconsciously raised his voice.

 

“At least they have you to be their successor.” Luhan shrugged.

 

“Oh, you’re not helping.” Kris rolled his eyes. “But yes, they expect a grandchild from me.”

 

“They told you so?”

 

“Soorin came to tell me that they want a grandchild from us.”

 

“Is that the reason she came to your office this afternoon?”

 

Kris nodded. “And I didn’t get it why she even bothered to tell me about this when she already knew that I don’t want to have a child from this marriage.”

 

“What did you say to her?”

 

“I told her that she can get pregnant with whoever she wants because I don’t really care.”

 

“Did she slap you?”

 

“No, but she poured a glass of water to my face.”

 

“Well, you deserved it.”

 

“And why you suddenly stand on her side?”

 

“I’m not siding on anyone here. But you’ve gone too far, Kris. She is a woman and you should think from her point of view before talking like that. No matter how much you hate it, she is still your wife and you should have more respect on her.”

 

“I’m not coming here to hear your lecture, Luhan.” Kris looked away.

 

“I’m not lecturing you, Kris. But no one knows what will happen a week or a month later from now. I just don’t want you to regret in the future. You will never realize what you’ve already had until you miss it, Kris.”

 

But Kris didn’t think about Soorin when Luhan said it. His mind simply recalled the memories he had about Soojin and his heart clenched every time he remembered about the chance he had but he unwisely threw it away and when he was brave enough to face the reality, everything slipped out of his grip without warning.

 

It’s because when Soojin’s gone, she took his heart away with her. Kris Wu had nothing left to love again. His feeling went numb. And all that’s left was only sorrow and regret. He didn’t even know how he could manage to live until today because the certain someone who used to be his reason to be a better person was no longer breathing the same air with him.

 

“I guess I understand the meaning of regret better than anyone else, Luhan.”

 

“Oh, really? I doubt it. How can you understand something you have never felt?”

 

Kris turned his head to look at his friend. He wanted to say something but he couldn’t do it. He remained silent then tore his gaze apart from him, staring blankly at the television. Luhan saw it. He saw the disagreement in Kris’ eyes. He knew that Kris wanted to tell him something but he didn’t feel it necessary so he stopped himself from doing so. But it raised the inquisitiveness in Luhan’s heart as the thought he always tried to ignore suddenly sneaked into his mind.

 

“I know this sounds ridiculous but I have this feeling that you have been keeping a secret from me for a few years, Kris.” The pretty Chinese guy talked out of the blue. “Do you remember the night when you asked me if someone would forgive you after you did something bad to them?”

 

Kris turned his head to the side and when his gaze met Luhan’s, his heart suddenly began to race. He didn’t answer when Luhan asked him how bad it could be. He didn’t tell Luhan anything about Choi Soojin. He didn’t tell Luhan about his feeling for her. A secret should stay as a secret but now that Luhan was directly asking him about it, Kris didn’t know if he should tell him the truth or not.

 

“You looked devastated that night, Kris. I didn’t probe you because I thought you were not ready to share it with me. I’m waiting but apparently you are still not ready. You changed a lot. You become more quiet and distant. Kris, you can pretend like nothing happens to everyone but you can’t lie to me. I know something happened. I know there is something you didn’t tell me that night and you keep it as a secret until now.”

 

Kris stared at Luhan but he didn’t say anything. He remained silent as his mind battled. Luhan sighed heavily, shifting his gaze back to the television but he didn’t feel like watching anymore. He kept himself from bringing up this topic because he decided that it was only his silly thought or if it’s true that Kris was hiding something from him, he secretly believed that he would tell him someday. But in the end, he lost his patience because the younger guy didn’t give him any hint that he would open up his mind to him.

 

“You didn’t answer my question either.” Kris finally spoke.

 

Luhan looked at him. “You didn’t even tell me how bad the first mistake you did and how the second mistake could be even worse.”

 

“Ask me the same question you asked me that night.” Kris challenged him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter