02. No Way Out

Unintended
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

02. NO WAY OUT

 

God must hate me, He cursed me for eternity 
God must hate me, maybe you should pray for me 
I'm breaking down and you can't save me     

 

4 years later... 

CHOI SOOJIN 
May 06, 1985 - Nov 27, 2009 

 

Her tombstone was made from granite and the cold marble only reminded him of the last glance she shot him. There were many bouquets of flowers on her cemetery because today was marked as the 4th year of her death. As the younger sister of Soojin, Soorin did it as a habit to visit her graveyard every year and being widely known as her husband, Kris had no choice but coming to the cemetery together with Soorin. It wasn't because he didn't want to come. He just didn't get used to with the idea of coming there together with the younger sister. 

 

Soorin had never been really close to her sister before. Their parents sent her to an exclusive boarding school in New York while Soojin went to London for her education. She knew that since the beginning her sister was prepared to take over their family business and she was grateful for that because she didn't really get into business. She always wanted to be a fashion designer. However, sometimes she would feel that her parents only cared about her sister. Choi Soojin was always on top of their priority and somehow Soorin felt like being a wallflower. 

 

Every time she went online, she could see her sister's name all over the internet because of her prominent achievements in her young age. Soojin was even graduated as the youngest student from University of Cambridge with perfect GPA, making Choi Soorin was nothing compared to her flawless sister. Media always mentioned only Soojin as the daughter of the Choi and nobody cared how much it hurt her. 

 

But four years ago, when the news of Soojin's death reached her ears, she couldn't help but crying. Although they only met several time before Soojin departed to London, her death somehow tore her inside. It might be her chance to quit being the wallflower, to stop living in Soojin's shadow, but blood was thicker than water and Soorin regretted it for not spending more time with her before, for not knowing her better like a sister should be. 

 

Then two years ago, their father called her back to Korea. She didn't know why he wanted her back all of the sudden. Of course, she should have guessed. Her parents didn't see her capable to take over the businesses so the only way to keep it was merging with another powerful company and it had the same meaning with put her into a business marriage so that her future husband could take care of their family businesses. What a brilliant idea. 

 

"Kris." Soorin called her husband but she didn't expect him to give her any response. Not yet. "Have you met my sister?" 

 

There was a long silence and Soorin thought Kris wouldn't answer her but he did. "Yes." 

 

"What do you think about her?" She couldn't stop herself from asking him another question. 

 

She is perfection. She is a revelation. His inner self snapped.

 

"She is young, bright, and determinant. She is strong and brave. A woman who doesn't give up easily. A woman who will fight for what she thinks is right. She is stubborn and careless sometimes. She is mild but not easily broken. She is endearing also formidable. She is simply amazing." And it was probably the longest answer Kris had ever given her. 

 

Soorin quickly lifted her gaze to see Kris, to prove that it was really pure admiration she heard in his voice when the certain man was talking about Soojin. Kris was now gazing at Soojin photo on the tombstone. His eyes were no longer cold. They were soft and a bit longingly. Soorin creased her brows at the unexpected view. 

 

Oh, what was that for?  

 

"Were you close with her?" She challenged herself to ask him one more question. 

 

"She is a good friend. Her perspective is quite different from others and it is nice to talk with her." Again, Kris gave her another answer and the way he walked about Soojin was so natural, so at ease, and opposing the harsh tone she always received from him every time she asked him something. 

 

Another thing Soorin noticed here was Kris used all present tenses in his sentences as if Choi Soojin was still alive. Soorin continued to stare at him, amazed by the solemnity in his words about her sister while Kris still fixed his gaze at the tombstone. Soorin tilted her head to one side as she tried to get into his mind but she did it a little too longer than necessary until Kris noticed that she was watching him. 

 

"It's not polite to stare." And there it was again; his cold tone was back in his voice. 

 

"Why you never talk to me nicely?" She whined. 

 

"Because there is no need to." He replied monotonously. 

 

"I'm your wife!" 

 

"Like I care." 

 

"And you had just talked about my sister as if she was the most important person in your life!" 

 

"Isn't she important to you?" Kris snapped. His voice dripped with concealed rage. 

 

"No! I barely know her and I'm so ing tired being a wallflower. What's nice from having a flawless sister and you need to live in her shadow all the time?" Soorin replied almost immediately and she reflexively covered when she realized what she had just said. 


"Do you hate her?" His voice was menacingly quiet. 

 

"No! I just-" 

 

"I don't need your explanation." He cut her off frostily and with that Kris turned around and walked away, leaving Soorin with many question ran through her mind. 

 

"Why does he react as if eonni was special to him?" Soorin found herself blurting out a quest

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter