27. Realization

Unintended
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

27. REALIZATION

 

Not because he was perfect or because you were, but because your combines flaws were arranged in a way that allowed two separate things to hinge together.

 

I can make her happy.

 

I can make her forget him.

 

I can make her love me.

 

Chanyeol played those words in his mind repeatedly as he paced back and forth in his room. It’s tomorrow. The day he had been waiting since forever. The day Choi Soojin would be legally his and he didn’t need to worry that someone might come and steal her from him. It’s tomorrow. The preparation had been completed. Everything was going to be as perfect as he expected. Tomorrow was going to be unforgettable. Then there was nothing to worry about, right?

 

His head shot up when he heard the door to his apartment cracked open. Baekhyun sauntered casually inside his apartment, looking back at Chanyeol as he made his way to the tall guy’s direction. He plopped down himself onto the couch even before Chanyeol beckoned him to do so. Chanyeol called him this morning and asked him to come to his place. As Chanyeol‘s friend, he couldn’t say no especially when his friend had no idea that he actually knew about the whole things behind his marriage with Soojin.

 

“So, what do you want to say to me?” Baekhyun initiated a conversation.

 

Chanyeol put the two cans of Cola he grabbed from the fridge on the table before he took a sit and looked at his friend. “I need you to do me a favor.” He replied.

 

Baekhyun opened the can and took a sip before he shot Chanyeol a look. “What’s the favor?”

 

“I need you to be the best man tomorrow.” Chanyeol said simply.

 

Baekhyun almost choked.

 

“I thought you’ve got the best man already.” Baekhyun pretended to look gullible. Of course, he knew that it’s Kris who was primarily wanted to be the best man and it was Soojin herself who asked Kris.

 

“We did but then he told us that he can’t make it.”

 

Baekhyun hardly could stop himself from rolling his eyes. Of course, he can’t make it. How could you expect a man who loves your soon-to-be bride with all his heart to be the best man in your wedding day?  He sulked mentally. Baekhyun remembered that they were friends. But it didn’t mean he would stay on Chanyeol’s side especially when he knew that his friend did wrong.

 

“And as my best friend, I want you to be the best man tomorrow.” Chanyeol continued.

 

“Did he not explain the reason why he suddenly decided not to attend your marriage?”

 

“He is Soojin’s friend. I don’t know him. Soojin only told me that her friend could not make it tomorrow and she asked me if I have a friend who can be the best man.” Chanyeol shrugged.

 

“Park Chanyeol, when will you stop acting innocent in front of me?” Baekhyun couldn’t hold it any longer. He clenched his fist tightly as he tried to control his anger.

 

“What do you mean, Baek?”

 

“I work at Wu Corporation and Kris Wu is my boss. I guess I have never mentioned it to you before.” He gritted his teeth.

 

“And why do you suddenly tell me about it? You can work wherever you want. It is not like I will forbid you to work there just because Wu Corporation is my brother-in-law’s company’s biggest rival.” Chanyeol replied calmly.

 

“I told you to stop acting innocent in front of me, Yeol.” Baekhyun said tiredly. “Do you really think that I know nothing what’s exactly happening between you and Soojin?”

 

“What are you trying to say, Baek?” Chanyeol tensed.

 

“Why don’t you tell me yourself? You say we are best friends, right?”

 

“What did he tell you?” Chanyeol hissed coldly.

 

“He didn’t tell me anything.” Baekhyun shook his head. “Are you surprised because I know the truth? Do you really think you can hide it forever? Yeol, this is not you. The Park Chanyeol I know will not do this to the woman he loves.”

 

“Just shut up, Baek. I don’t need your lecture here.” Chanyeol looked away.

 

“You know that Soojin loves Kris, don’t you?”

 

“It won’t last forever. I can make her love me.”

 

“Do you really think so?” Baekhyun laughed mockingly. “Yeol, I believe you know that four years is not a short time. You stayed for her when Kris did not. You were there for her when Kris was not. You took care of her and her son when Kris didn’t even know that she is alive. If she thought that you were the best for her, she would have learned to love you. But you see it yourself that she still can’t get over him. I guess it explains everything, Yeol.”

 

“I can make her forget him. Just wait and see.”

 

“How sure are you? Even though Kris was not around, she still can’t forget him. That’s the fact you can’t just ignore, Yeol. Now he is close to her and maybe they will meet each other almost every day because of their son. Then how could you expect her to forget him? You will just torture her and I won’t be surprised if someday she will hate you for what you did to her.”

 

“It is not like she doesn’t know that Kris will still divorce her sister if she is married to me. She knows it and she still chooses me. She wants to give me a chance.”

 

“Park Chanyeol, we are talking about a marriage here in case you forget!” Baekhyun raised his voice, suddenly losing his patience. “If the reason is just to give you a chance, a marriage is definitely too much. You can learn to love someone without marrying them first. If in the end you can’t love this person then you have to accept that maybe you’re not meant to be together but if you manage to love this person then you can continue to the next stage.

 

“By marrying Soojin, it has the same meaning with locking her in a room and she has no way to escape.  We don’t know if she can love you back or not. If she does then it’s good but if she can’t love you till the end then you just make her life miserable. Is that what you want? Don’t you want her to be happy? If you are not her happiness, why don’t you set her free so she can find her happiness?”

 

“Soojin is going to be happy with me.” Chanyeol stated stubbornly, still avoiding eye contact with Baekhyun.

 

“Have you ever asked her why she wants to marry you though she knows that Kris and her sister will still get divorced?”

 

“There is no need for me to ask her. If it’s really important, Soojin will tell me herself without me asking her.” Chanyeol shifted uncomfortably on his spot.

 

“You are afraid, aren’t you? You are afraid to hear her real reason. You are afraid to find out that she actually agrees to marry you because she thinks that she is in debt with you for everything you have given her in the past four years.”

 

“That doesn’t make sense. I did everything for free. There is no need for Soojin to feel indebted with me. Listen, Baek, I don’t need to-”

 

“Then tell her. Tell her that she doesn’t need to feel indebted with you. Tell her that she doesn’t need to marry you if the reason is just because she wants to repay you for everything you have given her. Can you do that? I guess no.”

 

“What do you want, Baek? Does Kris order you to tell me this ?” He glared at Baekhyun.

 

“Kris has nothing to do with this. Sorry to say but you are the evil here, Yeol. You are the villain in their love story. If only I knew that you planned this, I wouldn’t help you to get Seo Hyunwoo’s phone number.” Baekhyun spat coldly.

 

“I thought you are my friend but I guess I’m wrong because now you act like you are Kris’ best friend.” Chanyeol hissed harshly.

 

“I tell you this because you are my friend!” Baekhyun yelled.

 

“Then just do what a friend’s supposed to do!” Chanyeol yelled back.

 

“I’m doing it. I’m trying to open my friend’s eyes because apparently he is now blinded by his obsession to this one girl. He once told me that he’s in love with this girl. He told me that this girl is adorable. He told me that he loves to see her smile. He told me that he is going to do anything to make her happy. Too bad, he is no longer the same person I know. His love turns into obsession and now he would do anything just to make her his.”

 

“Leave now. You make my head hurt, Baek.”

 

“Why? Because you realize that I’m saying the truth?”

 

“I love her. This is not an obsession.”

 

“Then I guess you don’t understand what love is, Yeol.”

 

“I think I told you that I don’t need your lecture here. I invited you to come only to ask you if you want to be the best man. If you don’t want to then stop telling me .”

 

“You should be grateful that I’m telling you this before everything it’s too late. You will regret this in the future. Stop thinking about yourself, Yeol. I know that it will be hurt if you can’t have the person you love. But I don’t think it will make any difference since you never really own her heart. By marrying her, you may have her but it’s only her body. Her heart? It still belongs to someone else. Her mind? There is another man she thinks before she sleeps and when she wakes up in the morning. Is that what you want? Dude, that’s so pathetic.”

 

“What part of ‘stop telling me ’ you can’t understand, Baekhyun?”

 

“But I believe that you are going to think about it after I leave.” Baekhyun smirked. “Don’t worry, I will still come tomorrow as the best man if the marriage really happens but I will be really really disappointed if it does. I hope you will think it wisely, Yeol. Please give me back the Park Chanyeol I know. The person who I’m talking to right now is definitely not him.” He got up and made his way to Chanyeol who was sitting across from him to give him pats on his shoulder before he left the place.

 

 

 

SOORIN

“Do you mind to explain to your mother why you’re not telling her that her youngest daughter is no longer wedded to anyone?”

 

I open my mouth but I can’t find any words to say so I press my lips back together and stare down at my knotted fingers on my lap. You’re doomed, Soorin. How could you expect your mother won’t find out that you’re divorcing Kris? She called me to come to the company and how could I be so stupid for not expecting that she was going to talk about this topic with me?

 

“Soorin, I’m waiting for your answer.” Mom says firmly, a bit too demanding. “Don’t tell me something like ‘this is unplanned, this is just happening’ because I’m not going to believe you, little missy.” She adds and I swear I can hear a hint of amusement in her voice. I immediately glance up to check if I’m right. She fixes her gaze on me but she doesn’t look fierce at all. She looks rather calm.

 

“I had been thinking about the divorce for the past few weeks, mom. This is not unplanned. I just couldn’t find a right time to tell you. I assume that you heard it from Kyungsoo?” I reply, lifting my eyebrows.

 

She heaves a sigh. “You should tell me that you were not happy with your marriage, Soorin. You should have told me that Kris wasn’t a perfect husband like I always thought he was. Do you think I don’t care about you? I’m your mother, Soorin. I know you may think that I love your sister more than you but the truth is I love you both equally, honey. If I don’t love you, why should I try so hard to convince your father to let you pursuing your dream as a fashion designer?

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter