22. The Best Man

Unintended
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

22. THE BEST MAN

 

The voice sang on, “I am ready, I am ready, I am fine. I am fine, I am fine, I am fine.” I played it again. I was not fine.

 

SOORIN

It has been two days since the last time I saw Sehun. He ignores my calls and doesn’t even bother to reply my message. He must be staying at Luhan’s apartment like he told me. I know Sehun will be all safe and sound by I can’t stop thinking about him because I made him madly upset. It is not like I don’t appreciate his feeling for me but I can’t lie to myself. I have been thinking about learning to love him, to think of him as more than just a friend, but it is harder than I thought.

 

The news about Soojin eonni’s marriage with Park Chanyeol spreads like fire. Every time I turn on the television, I can see the hype. Does she really agree to marry him? If she really does and she does it for me then I bet Kris will hate me to the eternity when he finds out. Didn’t I tell her to think about her son? Why is she so stubborn? I know that their marriage will give me the advantage as it can help me to save my marriage. If eonni is tied to someone else then Kris will have no chance to be with her. This is exactly what I secretly wish but I don’t want this to happen this way.

 

People who know about the real situation will think that I’m the antagonist here; separating the two protagonists for my own sake. Me and my sister are standing on two different sides. My happy ending is her sad ending and vice versa. We both unfortunately fall for the same man but at this point, my sister is luckier than me because the man loves her too which is so unfortunate for me since I’m the one who is married to him. Other important point here is surely the fact that they have a son together. At this point, everyone will think that I’m the one who is supposed to give in especially if they know the whole truth and how Kris ended up with me instead my sister.

 

Surely I know that if I keep being selfish, I’m not just hurting my sister here but also my nephew who needs his father more than me. Soojin eonni might say that he is perfectly fine without Kris but I guess it is because he doesn’t know that Kris is his father. What if someday he finds out that Kris is his father but his father is married to his aunt? Isn’t it weird? And if it happens, Daehyun is going to hate me and Kris forever. At this point, I definitely hurt Kris as well. I cringe at the thought. I must do something.

 

The door swings open, revealing Sehun who just walks directly to the kitchen without giving me a single glance. His hair tousled and I can tell that he is not wearing his clothes. It must be Luhan’s clothes he is wearing because he didn’t bring anything when he left this place two days ago. Hesitantly, I follow him to the kitchen. He pours the water into a glass then sits down on one of the bar stools. I drag myself closer to him but my throat simply goes dry and I can’t find a single word to say.

 

“Did Soojin noona call you?” It is Sehun who initiates to break the dead silence between us. I glance up at him. He is now staring blankly at the empty glass on his hand.

 

“Why would she?” I reply as I sit on the stool next to him.

 

“Because you are her sister and definitely the only one family member of her who knows about the real situation.” Sarcasm fills in his voice. “She must tell you something especially about the reason why she agrees to marry Park Chanyeol when we all know that the one she loves is Kris hyung. She is even teamed up with him to create this mess. How could she hurt someone she loves so much if it is not because she wants to protect someone else she loves even more than she loves herself?” He adds sharply and I know he is referring to me all the way.

 

“Did you just say that eonni is teamed up with Park Chanyeol and they revealed about her existence deliberately? That is not possible.” I shake my head in disbelief.

 

“Didn’t she tell you that you don’t need to divorce Kris hyung because she is not getting back together with him and she even encouraged you to fight for your love? Then why is that not possible? You are probably her reason to do that. Doesn’t she always sacrifice herself for your happiness?”

 

Sehun’s words come to me like a hard slap.

 

“Don’t put all the blame on me!” I yell at him. Does he really think that I want my sister to do this for me? As much as I wish for her to marry someone else so Kris will stop chasing her but this is exactly not what I want to be happening. I still have a heart.

 

“What did you say to her?” He asks in a low voice.

 

“What?” I can’t decipher the purpose behind his question.

 

“Did you beg her to leave him? Did you just say ‘yes, I will’ when she encouraged you to fight for Kris hyung? Did you not try to convince her to stop thinking about giving in because you are the one who is supposed to walk out of the picture?”

 

“How could you think so low of me?” I hiss coldly.

 

“Do I insult you? Hey, you don’t need to feel offended if you didn’t do what I said.” He scoffs.

 

I look away as the memory of me and Soojin eonni talked in my room appears in my mind. I might not do anything like Sehun mentioned earlier but I didn’t say anything either to refuse her implicit offer. In fact, I said nothing. I just remained silent until she reached out her hand to grab my hands and gave them a gentle squeeze while whispering to me that she only wants me to be happy.

 

She probably thought that my silence means that I’m going to fight for Kris like she suggested me. I gaze up at Sehun and when our eyes meet, I can see frustration smoldering his eyes but before I can say anything to reply him, I hear my phone ringing, indicating an incoming call. Feeling curious, I quickly leave the kitchen, heading back to the living room to pick up the call. It is my mom.

 

“Have you heard the news about your sister?” She asks straightforwardly.

 

“Yes and the picture you saw in the newspaper was even taken on the same day I accidentally met her.” I answer dryly.

 

“H-how could you meet her?”

 

“I was having a trip to Jeju with Kris and his friends. It just happened, mom. Long story. And if you wonder, eonni told me that you know that she is actually alive and she has a son now.”

 

“Where are you now, Soorin?”

 

“I’m staying at Sehun’s apartment because I can’t enter our house since the reporters blocking the gate.” I say frankly. “Kris is with me.” I quickly add. I don’t want my mother bombard me with questions if she knows that I’m not with my husband since he is busy finding a way to protect my sister and their son. From the corner of my eyes I can see Sehun leaning back against the wall and he grunts when he heard me lying to my mother.

 

“I’m sorry for hiding everything from you, Soorin.” She says apologetically. “I should have told you the truth. You also have the right to know that it was your sister who was supposed to marry with Kris in the first place but since he treats you well, I guess it is not a big problem anymore.”

 

I roll my eyes. Yes, I always tell our parents that Kris always treats me well and somehow I manage to make them believe my words although he never shows his affection towards me when we were having a dinner with our parents. I simply told them that it is because Kris isn’t good in showing his feeling through his action and since he said nothing, our parents were easily convinced.

 

“Soorin, I want you and Kris to come to our house tonight.”

 

“Mom, I don’t think it is the right time to have a family dinner. The news affects the company and Kris is working on it.” I try to make an excuse. There is a brief silence before she replies me.

 

“Soojin called me this morning and she told me that she is going to come tonight with Park Chanyeol to discuss about their marriage with us.”

 

“What?” I can’t believe my ears. Is this really her plan in case Kris finds out that she is alive since she knows that Kris is going to divorce me because he will try to get her back? Does she really have to do this? She is going too far.

 

“She doesn’t know how to invite you so she requested me to ask you to come. Just come, will you? I believe Kris won’t mind it since the effect isn’t that bad and the market price of the shares is going back to normal now.” My mother continues. I throw my gaze at Sehun who is knitting his eyebrows right now as he stares at me.

 

“I need to ask Kris. I will call you later. Bye, mom.” I reply then hit the end call icon. Sehun keeps his mouth shut but continues watching me with his questioning look.

 

“She is coming home.” I barely manage to say it clearly because my voice is too shaky. “And she is coming with Park Chanyeol. My mother told me that they are going to discuss about their marriage and she wanted me to come. Sehun, what should I do?”

 

Sehun is taken aback by the info but quickly recovered. He leaves his spot and walks toward me. His gaze softens as he lifts up my chin to make me look at him in the eyes.

 

“I’m not the person who has the right to tell you what you should do. Of course I can be selfish by saying that you should tell your parents about the truth and you will have no choice but divorcing hyung. But will you be happy if it happens? I guess no. It is okay if I have to endure the pain. It is hurt as hell and that’s why I can’t let you feel this pain. I don’t want to put you in another misery because of my selfishness, Soorin, so do whatever you feel right. I’m sorry if I was rude to you earlier. I just can’t help it. The thought of losing you pressured me.”

 

For a single second I feel shame of myself. It is obvious that I hurt him so much but why does he not want me to feel the same? How could Sehun be so selfless like Soojin eonni? Do I even deserve their kindness? I always think about myself but they always consider my happiness.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter