11. Persistence

Unintended
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

11. PERSISTENCE

 

Maybe I hope too much. Maybe I dream too much. Or maybe I love too much to just give up on you.  

 

SOORIN

I stare sulkily at my phone. Sehun acts so damn weird for the past few hours. When we accidentally met at the restaurant this morning, he immediately looked at another direction, pretending as if he didn’t see me then walked away. I tried to call him but he never answered. I sent him texts, but I got no replies. And now, I can’t even reach him because he turns off his phone. What’s up with this guy? Is he avoiding me? But why? I don’t remember if I ever offended him with my words or else.

 

I’m walking across the hotel lobby when a familiar figure with his usual grumpy face approaches me. What does he want this time? I’m sorry but everything relates to Kim Jongin always makes me think negatively. Both of his hands are shoved into his pockets and he keeps his expression impassive. He stops a meter away from me then brings his gaze to look me in the eyes.

 

“What do you want?” I ask, a bit offended, while raising my eyebrows.

 

“I’m not approaching you to start another fight. Please don’t get me wrong.” He holds his hands up in the air. His tone was rather soft, not like usual, making me start questioning about the sudden change in the way he talked to me.

 

“Is there anything you need to say to me?” I finally give in and drop the icy tone off my voice.

 

“That sounds better.” Jongin flashes me his boyish grin.

 

“What?” I look quizzically at him.

 

“Your tone. I like this one better. The tone you usually use when you are talking to Sehun, it sounds nicer.” He replies with his smile still lingering on his lips. He gestures me to follow him to sit on the sofa in the corner. When we are walking, I can feel some stares are fixed to our direction.

 

“Spill it. You must have something important to tell me. Because the last time I checked, you hate me so there is no way you become so suspiciously friendly if you have nothing to do with me.”

 

“Ouch. That’s hurt.” Jongin pretends to look upset. I my eyebrows amusingly. “How many times I have to tell you that I don’t hate you, Soorin? I know that I’m always rude to you but it is because you have never been nice towards me as well. Look, we cannot fight forever. We are not in high school anymore. Both of us are growing up. Don’t you think it will be better if we are being friends?”

 

“Are you being serious?” I shoot him my skeptical look.

 

He clears his throat. “I’m actually thinking about Sehun’s words. That friend of mine is not someone who can get along with people easily. If he can be friend with you then you must be really nice in his eyes though the rest of us think inversely about you. You have to know that Sehun always defends you when we start talking about how annoying you are. He always says that we should try to get to know you better if we really want to see the real you.”

 

Is he being honest now? I mean, I never asked Sehun to help me to change his friends’ opinion about me because what other people think about me is not my business. But if he really does what this grumpy boy is telling to me right now, then he must be treasuring me much as his friend. But then I suddenly remember that the blonde-haired guy we are talking about now is trying his best to avoid me.

 

“Jongin, do you know where he is?” I ask, trying not to sound suspicious.

 

“Sehun? The last time I checked, he is sleeping in his room.” Jongin replies.

 

“Is he alright?”

 

Jongin his head to the side. “What do you mean?”

 

I my lips nervously. “I think he is mad at me.”

 

“Why would he?”

 

“I don’t know. But he ran away from me this morning and kept ignoring my call. Sehun… I think he is avoiding me but I don’t understand why he is being like this.”

 

Jongin knits his brows together, creating furrows in between. He opens his mouth, clearly trying to say something but he looks hesitant. But in the end, he finally speaks. “I think that is my mistake.”

 

“How could be that is your mistake?”

 

“Promise me you won’t be mad at me later.”

 

“It depends on how bad the mistake you did.”

 

Jongin sighed. “When we were talking about you earlier, there was a part where we were arguing each another and Sehun kept defending you. Jongdae hyung started teasing him but I took his words seriously then I asked Sehun a question without thinking twice.”

 

“What’s the question you asked him?” I raise one of my eyebrows.

 

“I asked him if he… likes you. I know it doesn’t make sense. I blurted out without even thinking. But if you were there and heard everything he said, I think you would come into the same conclusion about him developing some feelings toward you.” He explains, obviously avoiding my gaze.

 

I continue watching him. Jongin starts shifting uncomfortably on his spot. I think you would come into the same conclusion about him developing some feelings toward you. His words suddenly echoed in my mind. Sehun likes me? Is it even possible? I mean, Sehun disliked me at first and if it wasn’t because Kris forcing him to accompany me here and there during our wedding preparation, I didn’t think he would take the initiative to do it because it wasn’t even his responsibility. If later he found me nothing like his initial thought, maybe it was because I became nicer towards him since I feel comfortable when I’m with him. But for him liking me more than just a friend should be, I don’t think it’s possible.

 

“I know you may think that this is just my silly thought. But when a man and a woman spent most of time together and they got the chance to know each other better, there would always be a possibility for them or at least one of them to grow a feeling to another. Because every time Sehun talks about you, he will mention as much as he can, and the number is endless, only to make us know about how amazing you are. It is very obvious to me that he adores you, and perhaps he starts to love you too.” Jongin adds since I remain silent.

 

“He won’t like me. I’m his friend’s wife.” I argue.

 

“Nothing can stop someone to fall in love. Marriage is just a status. You cannot stop someone from loving a married person. Status is just something like age. Both status and age cannot be the barriers for two people to love each another.” He counters, stating out his point and I need to admit that he is right about this one.

 

“Then what should I do if he likes me for real?”

 

“Do you like him too?”

 

“I like Sehun but not romantically. I like him as a friend.” I say frankly.

 

“Do you love Kris hyung?” He asks and soon, the heat crept up my face and I bet Jongin suddenly chuckles because he can see how flushed my face right now. “No need to answer verbally. Your blushing cheeks explain everything.” I think I go even redder from the banter.

 

“He is my husband. There is nothing wrong if I love him.” I mutter sulkily.

 

“I don’t say it is wrong, okay? I just wonder how you can love him when he never treats you well. Soorin, don’t you think you deserve someone better than him? I’m not saying that he is bad. Screw it. Of course he is bad because he has never tried to be a good husband for you. And as a woman, I think you deserve a better man who can make you happy and love you for who you are and hyung is definitely not that man.” He pauses momentarily before he takes a deep breath as if he wants to reveal a big secret to me right now.

 

“Let me tell you a secret. I believe you are wondering why Kris hyung suddenly asked you about the necklace. The reason is because he found your sister’s necklace when he came to her cemetery and he starts to think that your sister is still alive somewhere. After you told him that your family doesn’t have the necklace because Soojin noona wore it during the accident, he has this hope in his heart that Soojin noona wasn’t really dead and that’s why he told Luhan hyung to call Minseok hyung. Minseok hyung is one of our friends and he is a detective. Kris hyung wants him to find Soojin noona for him. I’m sorry I’m telling you this but I don’t think it is right to hide this from you.

 

“Let me guess. You asked Sehun about this before but you got nothing from him since he didn’t tell you anything. If that so, please don’t blame him. He just doesn’t want you to be hurt. Sehun cares about you so much. If something happens and it involves you, he will try to do anything to make sure that you won’t get hurt. He may not tell me about this but I know him better than he can imagine. Sehun may not a talkative person but an action speaks louder than words, and he proves me through every attempt he did in order to make you happy.”

 

I bite my lower lip while trying to digest Jongin’s words and no matter how hard I try to find a good reason to deny his statement, my subconscious betrays me as my mind recalls every memory I have about Sehun. In the past two years, Sehun always be the first person I look for every time I feel sad and need someone to rely on. He always comes to find me when there is no one cares enough to ask about what I feel. He always lets me cry on his shoulder until his shirt is drenched with my tears and tells me that everything will be better when I wake up in the next morning. Although I know it’s just a paradox, he always manages to make me feel better because I don’t need to face my problems alone. I have him. But I think I’m being selfish again here. Just because Sehun never complained or sai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter