130812

Last January
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongin absentmindedly bowed to everyone who said their condolences to him. It was his parents’ funeral, but he felt like he was out of place. Some were people who he had never met before, some were people he didn't recognize and so on. 

"So what are your future plans after this?" His uncle approached him and pat him on the shoulder. Before Jongin could answer, his step aunt intervened, "You can live with us if you want and back to hometown. We have always seen you as our own son"

Jongin had to fight back a scoff. He nodded politely and said, "I'd figure it out," and then excused himself. He would go back later when all of this people are gone from the place. Being here only made him feel suffocated more and more. His soul had already been begging for fresh air and a taste of nicotine.

Before he exited the room, he gazed around the room one more time. He saw a middle aged woman he never knew, sobbing hysterically in front his parents cremated body. 

"This is just so fake," he mumbled under his breath and just so suddenly, he had this urge to laugh.

Why do people care when it's too late?

Where were all of them when his parents were still alive? 

Jongin shook his head lightly and exited the room. "Where is the smoking room?" Jongin asked the suster who passed by. 

"You are allowed to smoke on basement or rooftop." 

"Thanks," Jongin replied and decided the rooftop would be nice. He walked towards the lift but then changed his mind and took the stairs instead. He need more time alone.

He felt the fresh air surround him as soon as he opened the rooftop door, feeling relaxed and weights were lifted from his shoulder for the first time. Jongin hummed his favourite song while his hand took out his cigarette from his tuxedo's pocket.

He lit his cigarette and then sat at a corner of the rooftop. His head propped on the barrier. Jongin loosened his tie and yawned. He had yet to sleep at all, after his parents’ car accident. He still needed to hold another funeral at his parents’ hometown the next day. More people he didn't know would show up. And that meant more fake tears. More things to take care.

"This going to be last time I attend funerals" Jongin promised himself and threw away his cigarette before he fell into a deep slumber.


Jongin woke up when he heard someone’s footsteps. He rubbed his eyes and his shoulder tensed when his vision became clear. A man wearing hospital patients outfit stood so close to the end of rooftop. There was a large gap between the barrier. One more step and the said man would fly freely into the ground before death. 

Jongin was already fed up with his parents’ death. He didn't need to see another death take place in front of his eyes. Maybe he couldn't stop his parents’ death because after all, the accident was inevitable. He couldn't rewind the past to make his parents alive.

However, he could save this man.

Jongin got up, trying to not generate any sound. He held his breath as he approached the man from behind. The man seems unaware of Jongin’s presence. He couldn't see the man's face since he was facing the latter’s b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter