When Things Didn't Go As Planned

Lastly

Tiffany felt her head spun. Badly.

She hissed as she pushed the doorknob open, only to be greeted by the cold and scary atmosphere. She hadn’t recovered from the jetlag, but her father didn’t seem to care. He insisted to meet Tiffany immediately after she had landed. No wonder though, that wasn’t the first time.

There’s a long story behind it. Tiffany couldn’t help but reminisce every time she faced her father. Being the youngest child made her the least in receiving her mother’s love. Her mother had passed away, years ago, and it changed everything in her family. As her father paid zero attention to his children, they started drifting away from each other. They became heartless and spoiled. Tiffany wasn’t an exception.

She was rebellious, she was against everything her father wanted, until the point he sent her back to Korea because he couldn’t stand her, and vice versa. Her older siblings didn’t even care and continued life as if there was nothing happened. So she lived in Korea, all alone, by herself, with nobody took care of her, except Brian.

To think about it, she was kind of glad she met Jessica.

Jessica was so different. She was cold and harsh. Her demeanour was close to her father, so Tiffany didn’t have any guts to befriend her. But then again, they’re polar opposites. Jessica came from an orphanage. She was far from rich. She had to work part-time for living. And she was undoubtedly smart, because she got a scholarship. Meanwhile Tiffany, she just needed to lift a finger, and everything she wanted, would come to her in an instant.

And Tiffany witnessed it all. The Jessica since she was in high school until years later when she got her job and was able to buy her own car.

Her father spoiled her but then Jessica fixed her. Isn’t that enough for a reason?

“You’ve come.”

His sharp voice crushed Tiffany’s train of thought. She blinked a few times, hoping the dizziness would go away, before she closed the door and walked to her father.

“Yes, Dad.”

There he was. Her father, sitting with his back facing her, his hands were busy writing on his notes. He’s a workaholic. Sometimes Tiffany thought it’d be better if he just marry his job. He’d be happier. And Tiffany would also be.

After an awkward silence, he spun his seat to face Tiffany, put his notes on the table and crossed his arms. He gave his youngest daughter a cold stare, but Tiffany was used to it. She stared back with the exact same eyes. The warmth between them had vanished since long time ago. Tiffany had forgotten how it felt like.

“Weeks in Korea, what did you do there?”

“Meeting my friends.”

“For weeks?” He raised his eyebrows.

“Yeah.” She did the same, “Is that a problem?”

“It is because you abandon your job.”

She chuckled, “I don’t work for you, Dad. I thought you knew.”

“Tiffany.”

“What? How many times do I have to say that? I don’t work for you, this enterprise is yours. I have my own job, and no, I didn’t abandon it.”

The man inhaled a heavy breath. Arguing with Tiffany would waste his time. And his daughter was right. She has her own job, and it has nothing to do with his enterprise. Tiffany had refused her father’s will to replace him as the CEO. She didn’t want to be involved in the enterprise. He granted it, and now he regrets it.

“Fine, then. Go to your room.”

He spun his seat again and busied himself with his phone. Tiffany stared at her father’s back for a while, somehow wishing for a warm welcome hug, expecting an ‘I miss you’, hoping for at least other caring words toward her, anything from the man.

But she got nothing.

Chuckling, she exited the room with her palm on her forehead. As she shut the door close behind her, the torturing silence of the big house of Hwang family started attacking her. She realized she had been away from this damn house for quite long. She was feeling a little bit unfamiliar with this house.

How she wished she could go back to Korea right now.

Her steps were heavy until she reached her own room. She needed some rest. Her body was aching like crazy. Everything was a mess at the moment. She went home in a hurry, and she was sure her father wouldn’t let her go in anytime soon. She didn’t get a chance to say goodbye to Sunny, Sooyoung, or Yoona…

And Jessica. Damn, Jessica.

When she reached her phone to call, the dizziness had taken over her. She couldn’t take it anymore. Feeling upset, she threw her phone to nowhere and groaned as she plumped herself onto the big bed. She didn’t need much time to doze off in her sleep.

-

“She’ll be fine, Miss.”

Sooyoung bitterly smiled at the doctor as she nodded, before he made his way out of the room, followed by the nurses. After she was left alone, she heavily sighed. Her eyes landed on the sleeping figure on the bed. There was Jessica, lying unconscious with bandages all over her. Sooyoung didn’t know what to do. She was allergic to hospital since Taeyeon’s death. And now she’s here, seeing another best pal of her hurting.

Everything happened too fast. She was in her office, eating her brunch with some colleagues, before an unknown number called her and said Miss Jessica Jung was involved in a car accident. She rushed to the hospital in panic, and had calmed a little after the police and doctor explained Jessica’s condition.

The accident was caused by another car, and the culprit now had passed away. The sound of the hysterical crying earlier still could be heard clearly in Sooyoung’s head. It was all too familiar to her. The memory she didn’t want to remember, or even replayed. This time she was lucky it didn’t come from her.

Jessica was also injured, but she’d be fine, the doctor said. There were no serious damages. She only got one or two broken bones, even though there were also massive bruises and cuts. But her car, though. Sooyoung had to cringe once more as the sight of Jessica’s car she had seen earlier suddenly popped into her head.

Jessica definitely needs to buy a new one.

Slowly, she sat down beside Jessica’s bed. She put her elbows on the bed and sighed once more. The doctor also said he wasn’t sure when Jessica would wake up. Luckily she wasn’t in a comma. But still, Sooyoung was worried. She took a hold of Jessica’s cold hand, and rubbed it gently. She made a mental note to scold Jessica later. For being reckless, in the wrong time and place.

Because the injuries she got weren’t that severe, Jessica might wake up soon. And if she had enough determination to heal herself, then she’d get better quickly and wouldn’t need to stay long in the hospital. That’s good to know. Since Jessica hated hospital as much as Sooyoung did, if not more, she wouldn’t stand staying here for long.

The beeping machine that filled the deadly silent showed Sooyoung that Jessica’s heartbeat was steady. It rhymed well with her chest. Jessica was okay, she assured herself. One or two broken bones would heal soon. And about the bruises and cuts, Jessica got that a lot already. Sooyoung didn’t have to worry.

It was weird indeed. Jessica was older than her by almost a year, but Sooyoung always had this motherly side to the former. She knew Jessica needed someone to be dependent on. If such person existed, she’d live well. It was Taeyeon, but now Taeyeon had gone.

Sighing, she dropped her head roughly onto the bed, on the back of Jessica’s hand.

“Ow…”

There was a weak groan and as she felt the hand under her head moved a little, Sooyung quickly lifted her head to see Jessica was already awake.

“Sica?!”

“You… hit my hand, my summer.”

“You’re awake?!” She stood up and hovered half of her body on top of Jessica, “Like, really awake?!”

Jessica blinked a few times, before she showed a small smile, “Hi…”

“Hi?! Don’t ‘hi’ me, you idiot! I’m worried as heck and you just ‘hi’-ed me?!”

“Err… was it my fault?”

Letting out another desperate sigh, Sooyoung crushed Jessica for a tight hug, which made the latter cringed because it hurt. But she smiled and weakly tapped Sooyoung’s back, calming her summer’s shocked heart.

“I’m sorry I made you worried. But I’m okay now…”

“You better be.” Sooyoung murmured.

Smiling, Jessica pushed Sooyoung slightly away by her shoulder before she planted a kiss on Sooyoung’s cheek, and that made the latter frowned in displeased.

“What? You’re cute when you’re worried, and I’ve missed kissing you.”

Sooyoung scoffed, “You’re lucky my girlfriend isn’t here.”

Jessica only chuckled.

“Now lay still, I’m going to call the doctor.”

-

“Open your mouth.”

The said girl shoved Jessica a spoonful of hospital food to for her dinner. Jessica backed away a little, face showing disgust. She never liked those foods. And she was basically okay, anyway. Why would the doctor told her to eat these?

“What?” Jessica raised her eyebrows.

Sooyoung grunted, “Just open your mouth, God damn it!”

“Hey! No bad words allowed, my summer. There’s my Jisoon here, did you forget?” Jessica frowned as she tightened her arm around the little girl.

The room was now noisy. Sunny, Yoona, and Jisoon came. Before them there were some of Jessica’s colleagues, but they excused themselves fast because of work. All of them gathered together, with Jisoon sitting beside Jessica on bed, her back leaning on Jessica’s chest. She had been crying earlier, and it took quite a long time to calm her. And after she had stopped crying, she kept clinging onto Jessica.

“Jisoon-ah! Tell Sica Unnie to eat!”

Jisoon giggled as she lifted her head to Jessica, “Unnie, you have to eat…”

A pout, “But I don’t like the food, what to do?”

“Still, though.” Yoona interrupted and showed Jessica her puppy eyes, “Eat, Unnie~”

Sooyoung and Sunny cringed at her voice.

“Alright.” Giving up at her two dongsaengs, Jessica turned to Sooyoung and opened , “Aahhh~”

“Seriously, you.” Sooyoung scoffed.

Jessica let out a chuckle as she started munching the not so tasty food, “By the way, Sunny, where’s Tiffany?”

Sunny’s smile faded at the question. And that made the others’ laughter also falter.

“Sunny? What is it?” Jessica asked again, still with a smile on her face after she had gulped the food.

“Uh… it’s umm… she went home.”

“Home?”

“Yeah… to LA.”

Following Sunny, Jessica lost her smile. Her shoulders sagged. The comfortable atmosphere they had earlier was gone as Jessica’s angry gaze scared the others. The famous cold, icy glare Jessica had was showing.

“She didn’t tell me.” Sunny continued, “I went to her apartment and she was gone.”

Jessica kept silent.

“I can’t call her either…”

“Maybe she has some urgent business there, you know.” Sooyoung quickly said with an awkward laughter before she fed Jessica again, “Here you go, open your mouth.”

Jessica only nodded and continued eating. She felt a tap on her shoulder and it came from Yoona.

Sunny then grabbed her phone, “I should try to call her again, I think she doesn’t know--”

“No.” Jessica extended her right hand, “Don’t tell her.”

“What, why?”

“Just don’t. Please. It’s not the news you’re supposed to get right after you got home. Let her rest.”

“Is that… okay?”

Again, Jessica kept silent.

That made the little girl curious, “Sica Unnie, are you okay?”

“I’m fine.” Hearing Jisoon’s question made her faked a smile, “Never mind, it’s okay. Now, would you please sing for me?”

“Okay!” Jisoon complied instantly.

As the youngest of them all started singing, the thoughts of Tiffany had slipped Jessica’s mind. It’s okay, she said to herself. It’s okay.

-

It was raining. Jessica narrowed her eyes.

One of her fractured bones was her left leg. She couldn’t walk freely like usual. She had to use crutches of even wheelchair that made her feel old. And it hurt like hell. She needed other people’s help because one move of her body, it ached all over.

So without her friends by her side, she could only sit on her bed, staring blankly at the rain outside through the window. The nurse had told her to sleep, but she didn’t obey.

She sighed. For the nth time already.

Today was supposed to be a good day. No, not just good, but a great day, at least for her. She had planned everything pretty much well. She had chosen her best clothing, after a quite long argument session with Yoona. She had made sure she looked perfect, at least decent. She had washed her car, because it’s white and kind of dirty. And damn, she had also bought a bouquet of flowers. And it was pink.

How could she end up in a hospital?

This wasn’t on the plan.

She wanted to blame herself, at first. Even though the accident wasn’t her fault, but still, she was reckless. She could’ve stopped being paranoid and focused to the road instead. If she did, she might able to avoid that car. And this wouldn’t happen.

But now a part of her was also blaming Tiffany.

Why the hell did she leave? Okay, if she left, she could’ve told her first. Say, if the accident didn’t happen, if Jessica could make it, she’d see nothing but Tiffany’s empty apartment. It’s just the same, isn’t it?

Whatever. Jessica shrugged and slowly leaned her back. She was upset enough to refuse to talk to Tiffany. Whatever, whatever, whatever.

“Hey!”

She startled when she heard a loud voice followed with a bang on her door. It was Yuri.

“Oh God, Kwon Yul. This is hospital, for God’s sake!” She said with her palm on her chest.

Yuri only chuckled and walked to the sick woman, “Sneaking in a hospital wasn’t that difficult, though. And I came in the right time, yes? Your friends are already gone. They wouldn’t like seeing me.”

Jessica’s expression softened, “You shouldn’t mind them. You’re my friend too, Yul. I’m glad you came.”

“That’s good to know. And I bought you flowers!” Yuri showed the white rose’s bouquet in her hand, “I’m such a romantic, aren’t I?”

“Thanks. Yeah, you are.” Jessica nodded.

The tan woman then put the flowers on the table before she sat across Jessica, on the bed, “So, what happened? You don’t look good, man.”

Jessica bitterly laughed as she extended her sore arms, showing Yuri her condition, and also asking for a hug. The younger woman smiled and slowly crawled to Jessica, hugging her carefully. Jessica hugged her back and closed her eyes. Yuri’s warmth was something else she couldn’t describe.

“Err… can we just let go now. I’m afraid I might break one of your bones.” Yuri mumbled.

“Alright.” Jessica nodded and let go of the hug, “I’m fine. Just some usual light injuries.”

“Okay… but how about the-- I mean, your girl. Where is she? Isn’t she supposed to be here?”

“No.” Jessica shook her head with a pout, “She went home.”

“Ah, she already left. I want to meet her, though. When did she--”

“Home, I mean,” Jessica interrupted, “her homeland. Los Angeles.”

Yuri frowned. She needed a couple of seconds to comprehend that.

“Wait, what?”

“Yeah…”

“That can’t be!” She exclaimed, “I mean, what?! Did she reject you or what?!”

“No. She didn’t tell anybody. She just left. Shoo~” Jessica swung her fingers in the air, “And I’m really upset right now.”

Jessica puffed a breath and slightly flew her bangs. Yuri exhaled a breath seeing how upset her friend was. Well, things didn’t turn out as planned, it seemed. Being upset is normal. Yuri understood.

“Hey.” She scooted closer to Jessica, “I understand you’re upset. It’s okay, just be upset for now. It won’t hurt.”

“Yeah, I guess so.” Jessica grabbed Yuri’s arm and pulled her closer, “Can you stay tonight? It’s kind of lonely being in here. I hate hospital.”

“Sure, if that’s what you want. Because this stupid is sick and upset--”

Jessica slapped Yuri’s shoulder, “Hey, respect me sometimes! I’m still older than you!”

“Whatever, Unnie.” Yuri rolled her eyes, “Now sleep. Isn’t that your favourite thing to do, you bummer? Come on, sleep.”

As Yuri positioned them both as comfortable as they could, with Yuri hugging Jessica from behind, both of them started drifting off to dreamland. Jessica closed her eyes, the sound of rain pouring and Yuri’s steady heartbeat helped her in calming down. She was surely glad she had Yuri. Even though she was different from her other friends, she was more than able to make her feel better.

For now.

****

My thoughts and prayers for the victims of ferry accident. Wish the best for them.

And happy birthday, my Jessi baby. Loveyouu <333