Twist

Lastly

Everything was quiet. Dead silent. Except for that tickling voice came from the clock hanging on the wall.

It’s been quite a while since Tiffany sat there, on her dining table, doing nothing but looking at her phone in her hand. On the screen there was Jessica’s number that Sooyoung gave her earlier. But Tiffany couldn’t do anything with that. The number she had been looking for remained useless as she couldn’t build her urge to call.

Her mind had turned blank after she got home. She didn’t know what to do after this. Yes, she knows everything because Sooyoung had told her the very detail, but what now? What should she do about it? Call Jessica and say, hey, I already know from Sooyoung that you didn’t mean it, like that?

Good God.

Jessica was the only ex who had this ability on Tiffany. She was an ex but ironically, Tiffany cherished her even more than her partner, when she had one. Out of so many reasons, or lies to be exact, that she told herself when she lost a partner, the basic one was Jessica. It’s always Jessica, it’s always been her.

Tiffany wasn’t the type to take relationships seriously but that doesn’t mean she played with it either. Of course it was uncomfortable when she had a partner but all in her mind was Jessica. And that always happened. Always.

Giving up, she put her phone down and sighed. With both her elbows on the table, she exhaled a heavy breath with her palms covering her face. A part of her heart that blamed Jessica started to talk. She didn’t listen at first, trying her best to realize it wasn’t all on Jessica, but the lack of contact she had with that damn woman had made her desperate enough to blame everything on her.

You coward, what a damn coward. If it weren’t because of you, I wouldn’t be such presumptuous. I wouldn’t need to pull myself away. We wouldn’t be this far away. And even worse, I wouldn’t be feeling this guilty for a dead person!

You’re a coward, Jessica.

A ing coward.

Coward.

“Coward!”

Tiffany shouted to the emptiness as her hands banged the table hard. She stood up and kicked the chair away, before she threw herself on the bed and hid under the thick blanket. Her anger was boiling and she made a mental note to herself for at least, slap Jessica on the cheek later when they meet.

But, would they meet, though?

The thoughts made Tiffany groan and buried her face on the pillow. Okay, let’s not think about it. Let’s just sleep and forget everything.

And minutes later she was dozed off enough not to hear the buzzing voice came from her phone.

-

“She’s not answering!”

Yuri rolled her eyes when she saw how panic Jessica was. Her face even looked like she was about to cry. Jessica bit her lip and gripped her phone tight as her thoughts already flew to anywhere they could.

Tiffany didn’t answer. She didn’t answer Jessica’s call. So that means she was right! Tiffany didn’t want her anymore! Why did she even bother calling her? Did she sound like a freak? What if Tiffany wouldn’t want to talk to her again after this? What if--

Her thoughts suddenly vanished when Yuri knocked her head quite hard.

“Ouch!” Jessica frowned, rubbing her head, “What was that for?!”

“You stupid , what time is it?”

The frown disappeared, “Uh… almost two?”

“Which means she’s sleeping, !”

Correction, Jessica wasn’t just hopeless, but also clueless. When finally Yuri did in persuading her to get Tiffany back, she suddenly had an idea to call her. Before Yuri could protest, Jessica already had her phone sticking onto her ear as she kept blabbing how she begged her friend Sooyoung to give her Tiffany’s number that time. And when she got no answer, she turned panic like a total idiot.

And that was one of those rare times when Yuri sees the dumb Jessica. The usual Jessica would be smart and calculated. But it doesn’t seem to work when it comes to love. Or, when it comes to Tiffany, to be exact.

“Ah… I guess you’re right.” Jessica grinned and chuckled by herself.

“Of course I am. She’s a human, not an owl.”

“Nah, I just forgot it’s late already.” She shrugged and sighed, “I should’ve done it earlier, though…”

Yuri chuckled, “You’re so silly, indeed. Alright, forget about the past times, and plan for the future instead. You know what I mean, right?”

Jessica nodded.

“I’ll leave the plan to you. You can do whatever you want to get her back, because you know her and I don’t. But, make sure don’t do anything stupid like you just did earlier. And leave your coward self behind because woman, go get her!”

Yuri gave Jessica a fake punch on her shoulder and the latter nodded again, eyes showing strong determination.

“Alright, I will. Now, I’m going to go home and I’ll plan everything as perfect as I can! Wish me luck!”

In a speed of light, Jessica drank another shot of the Soju before she stood up, didn’t forget to place a quick kiss on Yuri’s forehead, and ran away from the rooftop.

Yuri could only chuckle at that.

-

The annoying alarm woke Tiffany. She turned it off while rubbing her eyes, lightly yawning. She hadn’t been sleeping for long, but she felt okay. Groggily, Tiffany rose from the bed and opened the curtains. The bright sun light greeted her as she narrowed her eyes. It was a sunny morning indeed.

After she opened the curtains a little bit more, she walked to the fridge to take a bottle of water. A pout was formed because her ice cream was gone. She might need to buy it today. The blame was on her because she willingly gave it to Sooyoung.

When she closed the fridge and turned around, her eyes caught her phone on the dining table. She must’ve left that there last night. Putting down the water bottle, she wiped her hands on her shorts before she reached her phone.

She unlocked it. There was a missed-call. Her eyes widened.

The screen showed Jessica’s name.

All the consciousness Tiffany was lacking suddenly regained. She shut her eyes tight before she opened it again, in case she was having a hallucination. But apparently, it was real. There was one missed-call from Jessica. Jessica called her.

Tiffany gasped as she sat down, her eyes glued on the phone screen. What is this? Is this even real? She looked at the time and it wasn’t long ago, probably close to 2AM. She chuckled and ruffled her own hair.

Was Jessica drunk?

Calling someone in that time was nonsense. Tiffany wasn’t a sleepyhead but who in the world called her ex at 2AM? She then bit her lip. Was it something important, though? It’s just funny remembering Jessica had never called her before this and when she did, it was at 2AM. Ridiculous much, Tiffany knows.

Tiffany still had her pride when she decided not to call back. She put her phone down and sighed. She didn’t want to think much. Jessica was unpredictable. If she guessed, there’s a big chance it’d turn out wrong. So she better didn’t, and takes a bath instead.

She nodded her head. Right, that’s a good idea.

Just when she was about to stand up, her phone suddenly buzzed. She gasped and almost jumped off of her seat. As her hand reached the buzzing phone, the screen showed the same name. Another gasp she let out as her heart started thumping.

Wasting no time, she took a deep breath and answered it,

“Hello?”

The voice she heard next made her drown in the bliss instantly.

-

“Ayo!”

Yoona opened Jessica’s apartment door with a loud bang and the usual greet. She came for breakfast, hopefully Jessica would share some. But she heard no answer. There was no food on the dining table either. Frowning, she headed straight into Jessica’s bedroom. The sight made her frown even more. It was a total mess.

Jessica hadn’t tidied her bed, for sure. Her belongings were everywhere. From her handbag, to her perfume, until her phone were being placed carelessly. Jessica herself was standing in front of her wardrobe. She was busy picking clothes to wear. She kept throwing the ones she didn’t think were right onto the bed.

And she didn’t realize Yoona was there.

“Unnie.”

A gasp, “Oh Geez, you surprised me.”

“What are you doing?”

“Looking for a decent cloth for me to wear…” Jessica mumbled, back in burying her head into the wardrobe.

Yoona was still frowning. What decent cloth? Every piece of cloth Jessica had was decent enough. The older woman had a good taste. She could pick the worst cloth in her wardrobe and it’d still look good on her.

“What for?”

“Uh…” Jessica pulled away from the wardrobe and looked down to her feet, “I’m going to… well… ask Tiffany to…”

The younger’s eyes lit up, “Really?! You’re getting back together?! For real?!”

“Yeah, if she accepts me, Yoong. Okay?”

“Wow!” She clapped her hands and hugged Jessica, “That’s really cool! Finally, I’ll have another Unnie!”

Jessica chuckled as she pushed Yoona away because she was suffocated enough, “Alright, now help me. What should I wear?”

“Clothes.”

“I know.” She rolled her eyes, “I mean, which one? I have to look good in front of her. I mean, I already look good but it would be perfect if I could choose some right clothes to wear, you know…”

“Hmm… just wear your usual casual clothes.”

“How if she doesn’t like it?”

“I don’t think that matters, though? You’re just going on, well, you can say a date. You’re not getting married anyway.”

“But I--”

“Alright, here we go.” Yoona pushed Jessica to the bathroom, “You go take a bath, and I’ll pick your most decent clothes to wear, okay?”

-

Once the young girl gave her the bouquet of flower Jessica had asked before, she couldn’t help but smile. It was pink, Tiffany’s favourite. Jessica was totally sure Tiffany would love it. And to think about it, this was the first time Jessica was going to give flower to Tiffany. She couldn’t wait for the younger woman’s reaction later.

After she paid for it, she walked away to her parked car. She buried her nose into the flower slightly, breathing in the amazing scent. No wonder why people like to give flowers to the ones they love. Jessica herself wonders why she didn’t do it before. Maybe because she wasn’t the romantic type. She was the blunt and straight-forward one. She didn’t exactly know which one was better, though.

She unlocked her car and got inside. Her smile hadn’t faded. She even had to bit her lip to prevent grinning too wide. So this how it feels being in love again, she thought. How long has it been since the last time she felt like this? Years seemed had passed too fast that she couldn’t really remember it.

Putting down the flower onto the passenger seat, Jessica checked her watch. She was a little early from the time they had promised. She was too eager to procrastinate. Each seconds passed made her heart thumped faster. She chuckled. Being in love was really something. Or more like, Tiffany was really something.

Shrugging, she the car and started driving. She promised to fetch Tiffany at her apartment. And later they would have a proper lunch. Jessica had booked seats in their usual restaurant back then. Not quite fancy, but their favourite. And after they had filled their fluttering stomachs, Jessica would…

She chuckled again. She didn’t plan that one. She’d just go with the flow.

Tapping her fingers onto the steering wheel, she was contemplating about should she call Tiffany or not. She was early and, probably Tiffany wasn’t ready yet. Okay, she better calls. Just in case if Tiffany had gone back to sleep or stuff.

Grasping her phone from her jeans pocket, she pressed the speed dial. Tiffany’s number had replaced Sooyoung’s. Humming a random song, she waited, but Tiffany didn’t answer. She frowned. Was she sleeping? Or taking a bath? Did she leave her phone somewhere? The thought that bugged Jessica the most was, did Tiffany forget?

Frowning even more, the paranoid Jessica pressed the call button again. She tried to calm herself. No need to worry, she would meet Tiffany, and things would go as what she had planned. She nodded again as she assured herself.

But the moment she re-focused to the road, there was an unknown car heading straight to hers from the opposite direction in a high speed. Jessica gasped. She stepped on the brake immediately as her hand spun the steering wheel wildly.

She was wrong. Things didn’t go as what she had expected.

In between the chaos, her phone fell down onto nowhere. And again, Tiffany didn’t answer.

-

Tiffany heard a knock on the door. She almost choked her drink. Jessica was early, way too early. Feeling nervous yet excited, she fixed herself and tried not to look too overly happy. Well, she was that happy but her pride was number one.

The knocks were getting impatient. Was Jessica that eager, though? Tiffany frowned. She yelled ‘yes’ as she quickly walked to the door and opened it.

But her smile didn’t last long. It wasn’t Jessica.

“You?”

He bowed, “Miss Hwang.”

“Yeah?” Tiffany bowed back slightly to Brian, “What is it?”

He hesitated before he said, “Miss Hwang, you have to go home now.”

“Wait, what?! Now, like right now?!”

“Y-yes…”

“No, of course!” She raised her voice, “I haven’t--”

“Miss Hwang,” He cut her, “it’s Master’s order.”

Tiffany’s mouth shut closed. Her tensed shoulder sagged as the word ‘Master’ came out. It was her father’s order. Say Tiffany was immune to everyone’s order, but her father was an exception. Once he told Tiffany to do something, Tiffany couldn’t say no. And now her father wanted her to go home, she realized she had been away for too long.

Seeing the speechless Tiffany made Brian without hesitating, walked inside to pack Tiffany’s belongings. Tiffany didn’t fight because both of them knew she couldn’t. Her hand gripped the doorknob tightly as her chest suddenly became heavy.

She couldn’t do anything. She really, really could do nothing when it comes to her father.

She just couldn’t.

Both of them didn’t realize Tiffany’s phone buzzed two times before Brian took it and turned it off, as Tiffany’s order.

And Jessica…

Tiffany closed her eyes and sighed.

Jessica could wait,

Right?

****

It's not that long, though. I hope it's okay.

And hmm about KhunFany, I'm a bit insecure but it doesn't affect my JeTi shipping soul, at all. It's a good thing, isn't it?