Chapter 27

We Belong Together

Kyungsoo was greeted by a tingly feeling crawling on his skin. He gently sat up from their bed and slowly examined the room to identify that feeling. Beside him is his husband, Jongin, sleeping peacefully with his mouth hanged open and his arm around Kyungsoo's waist. Though waking up next to Jongin gave him the feeling of contentment and happiness, the tingly feeling had won over his body and started to make him queasy.

Is there something excited going to happen today? Or, another nightmare will visit them again? Is he just nervous for his check-up later? Or, is he just hungry?

He was still staring at the wall, trying to decipher the riddle of his feelings, when he felt wet between his legs. With eyes void of emotion, Kyungsoo looked down and saw a crimson mess, decorating his pajamas and the bed. Seeing the blood covering his hands, he just calmly lifted Jongin's arm around him and walked over to their bathroom.

Void. Empty. Nothing. That is what Kyungsoo feels as he stared at his reflection on the mirror. There are no questions circling in his mind nor panic rising in his throat. Gently sighing, he packed up all his necessities in a large satchel while the blood continues to flow on his legs.

"Kyungsoo!" his husband shouted from the outside. Kyungsoo turned to the door, staring at his husband's fear-stricken face, with a toothbrush in his hand.

Fear. Shock. Puzzled. That is what Jongin feels when he saw their bed covered with blood and found his pregnant husband bleeding between his legs. "What are you doing?" he shrieked.

As if Jongin's shout opened the box of his emotions, Kyungsoo felt it. It hit him like a train and he fell on the bathroom floor by the pain of it. There it is, the agony of childbirth.

"Ouch," Kyungsoo whispered as he held his large belly.

"For 's sake!" his husband shouted as he ran towards Kyungsoo and carried him to their car.

"Wait. The satchel! You forgot to bring the satchel!" Kyungsoo shouted as Jongin ran to the car, not even closing the main door. "You forgot to close the damn door!"

Jongin paid no heed on Kyungsoo's eccentric commands. He needs to bring Kyungsoo to the hospital, first, to ensure his and their son's safety. Then, maybe, after that, they can visit the psychiatrist.

Insanity. That is what they feel as the car speeds up on the road with Kyungsoo's yells and Jongin's loud heartbeat joining the symphony.

 

 

Bringing Sehun to the business trip will be a great hassle. After the occurences the night before and Seunggi and Lauren's absence in their house, Minseok was left with no choice but to include Sehun's clothes, toothbrush, favorite blanket and Lulu (a deer plush toy that Luhan once brought for the toddler) in his suitcase. There is a lot of things going in his head right now. Why is Seunggi and Lauren still not in their house? I haven't done Luhan's schedule. I forgot to list the names of the people who will attend the meeting. What is Jongdae's news that he is about to tell me tomorrow? I haven't heard anything about Jongin and Kyungsoo. And, what is Sehun doing under the bed?

With that last thought crossing his mind, Minseok stood up from his seat and abandoned the disarray clothes on the floor to pull Sehun from the bed. 

"My baby, what are you doing down there? I've told you a lot of times that Mr. Boogeyman doesn't want to be disturbed when he is sleeping. He will come and take you if you don't come out from there." Minseok patiently said, waiting for his son to scramble out. But, oddly, the bed remained still and Sehun didn't come out with the mere thought of a monster.

"Sehun?" he once again called as he kneeled on the floor and peeked underneath. There, he found his son, staring at him with scared eyes yet his body is still frozen in that position.

"Mr. Boogeyman should take Sehun away. Sehun made Appa Seunggi mad. Sehun made Lauren Noona cry. I am a bad kid. Bad kids should be eaten by monsters," the kid recited.

For years of observing children, Minseok learned that children are selfish. As babies, they can get what they want with just a shrill cry and their wish will be either a milk in their mouth and a gentle pat on their back. So, when those little words escaped from his son, it was then Minseok realized how grave must Sehun must felt for thinking about what happened yesterday. It has engraved a deep cut of blame on Sehun's mind and a scratch of maturity. And, like a loving parent, Minseok is willing to undo the bandage on his heart just to have Sehun clean from the harshness of reality.

"No, Sehun. You didn't make them sad." Minseok tells him.

"Then, why is Appa Seunggi and Lauren Noona not home yet? Did they leave Sehun because I'm a bad boy?" There is a hiccup in the end of the sentence that made Minseok's heart breaks.

"Sehun, that is not your fault." he convinces the little boy earnestly. Although he had known the boy ever since he was a baby, Minseok tries to tone down the explanation into sentences that can be understood by the toddler. The grave situation of infidelity, broken marriage and cruel parents are words that Minseok crumbles into soft sentences. Sehun may be a part of that world but for now, he is Minseok's little boy. "Your Appa Seunggi is not mad at you but at himself." 

It was a vague explanation. Minseok prays that the little boy will not press more of the matter and soon, Sehun emerges from the bed with dirt on his face and a frown on his lips.

"How can someone be mad of himself?" the little boy asks. 

Minseok carefully brings the boy on his lap, ignoring the blue shirt that has a streak of dust on the front, and kisses the upset child. "People do get mad at themselves because of something they have done on the past. For example, you eat Daddy's cake because you're hungry. Daddy will have nothing to eat now and because of that, he gets hungry. What will you feel then, Sehun?"

Sehun looks down on the floor to think and looks up to his father with a pout on his lips. "I'll be angry with Sehun because he made Daddy hungry."

"There you go, Sehun. If someone is angry, it doesn't mean that he is angry at someone. There will be a time that he will be angry at himself for something he had done in the past. And just like anyone, a person needs time to forgive himself."

At once, Sehun stays quiet and Minseok worries that the explanation is too deep for his son to undestand. Yet, Sehun looks up at him with the brightest smile he can muster.

"Okay, Daddy. I'll wait for Appa Seunggi to be happy again."

"That's my boy." Minseok says before kissing the boy's head and ushering him to the bathroom to clean him again.

After an hour of scrubbing the little boy's soft skin and showering him with kisses, Sehun is as cheerful and as clean as ever. He watches his father amusedly walking back and forth inside the room, whispering to himself and shoving things in a big bag. Now that he notices the big blue bag, Sehun remembers his Daddy's words that the big blue bag will be used only when they are to leave the house for days.

"Daddy?" he calls, clutching the soft plushie in his hands. 

"Yes, my love," his father answers, still in the other room yet close enough to hear Sehun's feeble words.

"Are we going somewhere?" 

Minseok emerges from the room with a towel, toothbrushes and toothpaste in his hands. He smiles at his son before nodding at him in reply. After zipping the bag close, he crouches down to his son's level and explains to him why they have to leave the house. 

"I have to work for two days, Sehunnie. And since Appa Seunggi and Lauren are not home yet, I have to bring you with me at work. Remember those times when Uncle Baekhyun plays hide-and-seek with you while I work?" Sehun responds with an eager nod. "Unfortunately, Uncle Baekhyun is not comign with us--"

"Why?" Sehun whines. All the eagerness in his little body has dissipated into melancholy after learning of his quirky uncle's absence.

"He has work somewhere else," Minseok places both his hands on his son's shoulders and rubs his nose against his little one. Sehun can be a brat when he is not in the mood and right now, Minseok is not eager to entertain his son's attitude. Too bad, Sehun already acted upon it and starts to sway his little body along with his mood.

In haste, Minseok quickly overturns the situation by exclaiming, "But, Uncle Luhan will be there to play with you." Crap. 

That seems to do the trick since Sehun straightens up and his eyes shine like stars at the mention of his dearest uncle. 

"Really, Daddy?"

Minseok winces in his words. He wants to take back it all and never let Sehun gets close to his other father. But, without a bribe, Sehun will be difficult to handle in the future. So, he nods as an answer. 

"Can you be a big boy for me, Sehun? While I'm away from work, you will stay with a friend of Daddy, okay?"

"Okay, Daddy."

 

 

Minseok is a strong man but with a luggage in one hand and a toddler in his other arm, he can't help but catch his breath for every step. He grimaces at the thought of assisting Luhan with his own luggage too when he already has two in each arm. Sehun is still in his episode, not wanting to walk with his own feet and embracing Minseok's neck as if he is afraid to let go. Minseok has an inkling that the roars of the plane is the one scaring his boy.

"Baby, can we walk now?" he asks, already reaching his limit as he places the luggage on the floor of the lobby.

Sehun responds with a shake of his head and a kicking with his legs. "No! Don wanna."

Their flight is already in ten minutes and he still has to get their boarding pass. Just when he is about to scold Sehun, someone called his name cheerfully. Both father and son turn to the source of the noise and found Luhan sprinting towards him. Lo and behold, Sehun abruptly wiggles his way out of his father's embrace and run towards his favorite uncle. Luhan opens his arms at the toddler and chuckles as soon as the boy's body comes into his embrace. Sehun just tucks his head under Luhan's chin and begins his gloomy chatter about his day.

Minseok watches Luhan nods at every word of his son as he rubs consolingly at the toddler's back. He rolls his eyes at the theatrics that Sehun is displaying infront of Luhan and he can hear a word or two about him being a meanie and daddy want to feed me to the planes. Taking the luggage with his hand, he leaves the sight of the two to search for their terminal gate.

"What are you searching for?" his boss asks, still taming Sehun's tantrum.

"Our terminal gate," Minseok answers briefly.

"Silly," Luhan chuckles as he takes the luggage from Minseok's hand easily. "We're using my private jet. Normal flights take too long to fly. We're only going to Jeju, not the United States."

Minseok didn't say a thing at all, bothered by the way his heart is beating with Luhan carrying his bag and whispering sweet things to tame Sehun. He sighs shortly before regaining his composure.

Better end this fast. 

 


author's note:

so, i came back from the dead. 

sorry for the short update.