Chapter 16

We Belong Together

Four years later ...

The soft creaks and groans of the wooden floor created a sound around the quiet room. In the middle of the room is Minseok trying his hard not to create another protest from the floor as he made his way to the bed. Although the bed is unoccupied, he knew better that a pretty creature is hiding beneath the canopy, refusing to get out from the confines of the darkness provided by the furniture.

Impatient by how Minseok walks, the wooden floor betrayed him by creating a loud squeak, making the man rolled his eyes as he watched the bed moved a little. Tired of playing pretend, the man put the little shirt on his shoulders and tapped impatiently at the floor as he glared at the bed.

"Sehun, get out of there. You'll going to get yourself in a mess." the father reprimanded as he crossed his arms.

"No! I don wanna," an adorable protest came from the bed.

Smiling to himself of how cute his son is, Minseok thinks of a way of how to get the boy out of the bed. Really, of all places Sehun can hide, why did he chose the underneath of the bed? Probably, to annoy his clean freak father or to show his father what he learned from Jongdae's pet cat, Snow. Stupid Jongdae and his stupid cat, Minseok thought when he remembered how his son lapped the milk from Snow's own platter.

"Fine. Get hide in there," the father said. "Just remember, Boogey-man doesn't want little childrens hiding in his place. He gets mad and will eat that person whole." 

The father positioned himself infront of the bed, his arms wide open as the little boy scampered out of the bed and into his daddy's arms. Wails and cries of daddy don't let him get me erupted from Sehun's lips as fat tears escaped from his eyes. Minseok felt guilty in what he have done and try to soothe the boy as he made way to the boy's room.

"Now, now, Sehun. Don't cry. Daddy will protect you from Boogey-man. Do you trust Daddy?" Minseok asked as he swiped the little boy's bangs away from his eyes. Maybe, he should give his son a haircut.

Sehun nodded his head feverishly, his little hands were wringing his father's shirt.

"Then, be a good boy. We're going to the daycare, okay?" he said, watching how his son pouted at that but remained obedient for fear of the Boogey-man. 

Minseok smied at his son's cute pout before kissing it away. The boy's usual bored eyes turned all-round as he stared at his father. The round doe eyes turned into moon crescents shaped as Sehun let out a little giggle when his father hoisted him up from the ground.

He brought the toddler to the shower, scrubbing the boy clean from dirt he got from hiding under the bed, seemingly deaf from Sehun's whines of not liking the bath since Snow doesn't take a bath. After wrapping the little boy with a dry towel, Minseok dressed the boy with clothes and combed his hair as he listened to his son's stories of his friend Paku, Jongin and Kyungsoo's dog, and Snow not getting along. At one point, he was perplexed why Sehun's friends were consisted of animals but he let it go as he combed the boy's soft hair.

Now, this is Minseok's favorite time of the morning, combing and fixing Sehun's hair. The toddler's hair were as soft as feather and the father likes to cupped his palm on his son's head to feel the warmth of the boy. He always swiped the bangs to other side, keeping the hairs out of Sehun's eyes. But since his son's hair is quite long, he decided to do his son's hair into an apple stem. 

Gathering the baby hair at the top, he expertly wrapped the stem with a bauble as the toddler babbles about breakfast. As soon as he finished, he stared at his son's pretty little forehead and put a kiss on it. Surely, Sehun will grow to become a handsome man, seeing how cute he smiles at his father right now.

"What is for breakfatth, daddy?" Sehun asked, his lisp evident as he bounced on his seat, wanting to be let down.

Minseok brought the little boy on the floor and watched how his son ran to the kitchen, his upper body leaning forward a bit too much to Minseok's horror. Sighing at his son's quirk, the father followed Sehun to the kitchen and was greeted by a boy jumping from the floor, trying to grasp the box of cereals from the cabinet.

"Sehun, what did I tell you about jumping in the kitchen?" Minseok reprimanded as he stilled the excited little boy before reaching for the box of cereals. The little boy didn't even hear his father's words as he quickly climbed on his chair, grasping his spoon as he stared at the box of goodies with star in his eyes.

Minseok narrowed his eyes at his son who is weirdly worshipping a box of cereal. Shrugging his thoughts away, he poured a generous amount of fruity loops in his son's bowl, smiling at how his son's eyes shined like stars. Sehun brought a hand on his bowl, picking a loop from the rest and put it into his mouth. Tasting the sweetness of his favorite cereal, Sehun smiled at his father as he wriggled his shoulders excitedly. Biting a smile, Minseok poured milk on the bowl and watched his son digged in his breakfast.

As soon as he finished his cup of coffee, the toddler screamed a done! and Minseok found himself staring at his son who has a proud smile and a milk moustache. Gathering the boy to his arms, he helped the younger brush his teeth with an electric toothbrush that Junmyeon had gifted for the younger. Saliva dripping from his son's mouth while Sehun placed the toothbrush on his mouth and let the thing brush his teeth.

After a series of no, sehun, that's not how you do it and of no, sehun, you don't swallow the toothpaste, Sehun emerged from the bathroom with a big grin and a tired-looking father. Kneeling in the same level of his son, Minseok put the inhaler on his son's neck, instructing the boy once again with its use.

"Sehun, if there is a tickling feeling against your chest, remember to use this," the father patiently explained as he showed the blue inhaler attached to a string. "What did Daddy told you?"

Sehun nodded obediently as he took the inhaler between his pudgy hands and showed his father of himself inhaling the thing correctly. Minseok sent him a proud smile before kissing his cheeks. After helping the boy with his bag, the father put on his shoes to take the excited boy to the daycare.

A merry song had fallen out of Sehun's lips as he skipped on his feet, making his father smiled at how cute his son is. Little hands wrapped around his calloused hand warmed Minseok's whole being as he listened to his son's song. When they finally arrived to the daycare, Sehun tugged his father's hand and placed a kiss on his cheeks when the older bent down.

"I love you, Daddy."

"I love you too, Sehun."

 

 

"Aren't you supposed to be finding a new job?" Jongdae calmly asked through his cup of cappucinno, eyeing the elder who is busy serving his order.

"Aren't you supposed to be in Japan?" Minseok said, placing the plate of sandwich infront of Jongdae. His customer rolled his eyes at him before setting the cup on the table.

"I'm serious, Minseok. Why are not you searching for a new job?" he asked, tearing the sandwich in an attempt of anger. "This stupid diner doesn't pay you right. A tip here and there will not be sufficient for you and Sehun."

The waiter just let out a sigh before answering his bestfriend. "I can't, Jongdae. Only this diner allows me to work at nine o'clock in the morning to three o’clock of the afternoon. That is enough time for me to take Sehun home from the daycare.”

“Hyung, there are other jobs that can let you get home early.” The other man reasoned out.

“Ohh, those jobs? Well, let’s just say that they don’t allow people like me in their company,” Minseok shot back, irritation rising up to his veins.

“People like you?”

“Yes. They don’t allow young fathers like me to work there since they are irresponsible enough to let themselves get pregnant during their teens.” The waiter recited as if it is a cute little poem that he used to read for Sehun.

 “But, you finished your degree in our university,” Jongdae reasoned out incredously. “I mean, our university is a well-known school for engineering. How come they didn’t hire you?”

Minseok massaged his temples at the stress of their topic. Although he doesn’t want to admit it, his grades were excellent that it can par with Jongdae’s transcript record.

“Jongdae, a university’s reputation is different to the student’s reputation. Even if I graduated as the best student in that school, I will be still deemed as an irresponsible one since I let myself get pregnant.” The waiter explained. “Anyway, I’m contented with this job. Though this diner only pays me minimally, atleast I get to see Sehun. He’s the most important thing in my life now.”

Jongdae remained silent as he stared at his friend’s eyes. He knew that Minseok is happy and content with his life now with his son but this is the real world. And, the real world revolved around money and fees. His bestfriend will not survive with a minimal wage and a son who will be in kindergarten soon. The economy will crash Minseok’s life if he didn’t find a new job.

Before he can speak what is in his mind, his phone rang, demanding Jongdae to divert his attention to his work. Taking the device from his pocket to see the caller, he let out a groan of dismay as he hesitantly swiped the answer call.

“H-hello?”

Where the hell are you? Aren’t you supposed to be at work now?”

“Woah there, woman. I still have three minutes of break.” Jongdae retaliated, making Minseok smiled in amusement at the conversation he was having.

Is that how you speak to your boss? I can fire you if I want. So, watch your tongue, .

“Stop with the threats, woman. If you fire me, the company will go down with me. I would like to remind you that I’m the best engineer in the corporation.” Jongdae responded in fury as he glared at the laughing Minseok.

Big words, Jongdae! In case you are forgetting something, I’m the best engineer in this company. With a master’s degree in my course, surely, I am on the top. Besides, you’re talking to your boss.”

“Ohh, really? I can strip you off from that title, woman! I can—“

Five minutes is over. Go back to work, Mr. Kim. Or, I’ll report you to the Big Boss.” The lady on the other line said, her smooth voice caressing Jongdae’s ears with honey and poison.

As soon as the line ended, Jongdae almost throw his new phone on the wall. If not for a laughing Minseok, the new phone he had purchased will probably be in the remains of the garbage. Kicking the other’s shin under the table, he casted a glare to the elder before finishing his sandwich.

“I like your chemistry with your boss,” Minseok teased as he cleaned up the table across Jongdae.

“Yeah. Continue teasing me with that woman and you will find yourself in the garbage dump,” his friend shot back as he glared at the waiter’s back. Ignoring the amused chuckle coming from Minseok, Jongdae chose to finish his cup of cappuccino before standing up from his seat. “Anyway, I need to go to work now. Goodbye, hyung.”

“Goodbye, Jongdae. Tell Erika, I said hi,” Minseok said cheerfully, earning a grunt from the other man.

The bell of the diner chimed, indicating that Jongdae has finally taken his leave. Minseok busied himself cleaning the tables and picking up the plates from the table to get wash. On his way to the kitchen, his boss emerged from his office and called for him. Abandoning the tray on the kitchen sink, Minseok scurried to his boss’ office, occasionally fixing his shirt.

“Yes, sir?” he quietly asked after knocking on the door.

“Come here, Minseok.” His boss said, waving over the seat unoccupied infront of him.

Minseok did what the man said. And, as he looked up, he spotted an envelope on the table that made him closed his eyes in apprehension.

“Mr. Kim, you have been a goo—“

“Sir, I’m sorry to interrupt you. But, I know what is this letter for and though I am disappointed with where is this leading, I want to know my flaws in my job. I hope to hear it and maybe, we can talk about it.” Minseok earnestly said.

He had avoided this confrontation once. And, good thing, his boss listened to him and decided to give him some more time. But, right now, it can’t be done.

“I’m sorry, Minseok.” His boss said, making Minseok looked up with alarmed eyes. “I know that you are a good worker. You are hardworking and patient with our customers. There are no flaws in you. The problem here is in me and my bank account. I have received a message from the bank, demanding to take this diner. I’m sorry, Minseok, but I think you need to find a new job now.”

There are many things that Minseok can do with the small amount of money inside the envelope. He can start a new business with the help of his friends. Or, he can just buy a new set of clothes for Sehun since the boy has outgrown his baby clothes. But, instead of taking and opening the envelope pushed on his direction, Minseok give it back to his boss with a smile on his face.

“It’s okay, Mr. Kang. I think you need it more. Don’t worry about me. I can find a new job.” He said, placing the envelope infront of his boss.

Mr. Kang was stunned by Minseok’s decisions. After asking if the younger is fine with it, Mr. Kang hesitantly took the envelope and expressed his gratitude to Minseok by bowing it. He quietly ushered Minseok out of the office, taking the apron that the younger handed to him.

“I’m really sorry, Minseok. I hope you find a new job that could pay you earnestly. Have a good life.” Mr. Kang said.

Minseok bowed before him before thanking his former boss. After arranging his things inside his bag, he walked towards the door and just stared at the diner he had worked for two years. With a sigh escaping his lips, he decided to walk to the daycare to pick Sehun.

Tomorrow, he will start to search for a new job.

 

 

The rain was pelting down at the whole city, staining the glass windows with droplets of water. The sound of the rain drumming against the walls and windows of the building become the music to his ears. The scenery calmed the storm raging inside of him. Closing his eyes, he remembered the memories that had happened years back.

A knock from the door snapped him out of his past and brought him back to reality. Quickly spinning his chair to face the door, he called out a come in for the person. His secretary entered the room with folders in her arms and a cup of coffee in the other. After placing the necessities on the table, the girl turned to him and bowed to him.

“Sir, Mrs. Lu is here.” The girl said.

Waving the girl with a permission to go, Luhan was left alone with his own devices as he sipped the hot beverage on the cup. Tasting the bitterness of the coffee, he set it down with discontent. He was about to ask for the girl to make another coffee when the door opened with a silent click.

“A bitter coffee once again?” Yoona asked as she smiled in amusement at how her husband’s face distorted in disgust.

A smile reached Luhan’s face before he stood up from his seat to open his arms for his wife. Yoona raised a brow at him mockingly before entering the embrace.

“How are you?” Yoona asked as she pushed herself from Luhan gently. “Have you been eating well? You’re not skipping meals, aren’t you?”

Luhan let out a laugh before he patted the woman’s head, earning him a glare from the woman. “Don’t worry, Yoong. I’m doing fine. How did the fashion show ended?” he asked as he led the woman to sofa inside his office.

“Everything ended well. Our sales happened to rose up. Thanks to Paris Hilton.” Yoona cheerfully informed, earning a chuckle from her husband.

Their chatter ranged from restaurants to weather, calming the stress inside Luhan’s heart. And, like how a rainbow left the bright sky, the clouds started to cover it with a threat of a rainfall.

“Is Yixing fine now?” Yoona asked, making Luhan tensed at the sudden reminder of the fatal accident that happened to his friend.

“He is fine now. He continue working at our entertainment company by composing songs. The thing is… he forgot a huge part in his life.” The young CEO explained as he rubbed his temples.

“What part of his life?” his wife asked warily. “He has been bedridden because of comatose for three years. How come he can work immediately?”

“The doctor said he is fine now. All fractures on his bones have been healed. But, he forgot the part where he become an idol, a singer and a famous dancer of our group. I told our President and our manager to not crack anything. It will help Yixing to go on with his life.”

Yoona nodded at that as she thought over what happened to Yixing four years ago. “What about the investigation? Did it progress anything?”

Luhan let out a sigh as he falls back to the softness of the furniture he was sitting on. “I’m afraid not, Yoona. The investigators told me that it will be hard to figure out who are the culprits of the accident. It happened four years ago. After I returned from the airport unsuccessfully, our manager informed me about the car accident that happened to Yixing. The police were deciding of dropping the inquiry but I slashed at them.”

Seeing how Luhan gets worked up by the idea, Yoona brought a hand to him and patted his shoulders. “Don’t worry, Luhan. This case will be solved soon. Yixing will soon remember the past.”

Luhan nodded at her words, clutching at the little words of hope. “And, I can find out what really happened four years ago.”

Yoona wanted to tell to her husband what really happened years ago. Though Yixing knew a huge part in the incident, the key to the mystery in Luhan’s life was in her hands. But, her mother’s threat of killing her daughter scared her more than anything in the world. The Im’s has a tight leash around her neck and this prevents her to tell the truth to Luhan.

Instead of letting her family win the battle, Yoona did her part of telling plans and actions that could help Luhan discover what really happened four years ago. Atleast, with that little help she put, Yoona can redeem herself of her cowardice.

“Luhan,” she called out. Her husband answered with a hum, his thoughts were elsewhere. “I decided to open up a small company for our design outfits in Korea. And, I want you to go with me.”

Atleast, with little steps, she and Luhan can step inside the world they were dreaming to live in.  

 

 

“I found you a job.” Jongdae said through his phone as he balanced the papers and stapler in his arms.

“If this is a job where I need to leave Sehun for hours, then I’m not ta—“

“Don’t be immature, hyung. You need money. Sehun will soon enter a kindergarten school and that costs a lot of money. You need a job.” His friend nagged through the phone.

Although the sight of Sehun playing with his ball among the green grass relaxes him, the tone and words of his friend irritated him more. Turning his back towards the toddler, Minseok shot a glare to Japan’s direction, wishing for that glare to travel to the other country to plague his friend.

“And, who will I entrust my son with?” Minseok asked. “Kyungsoo is taking a rest because of his pregnancy. And you know that Jongin is not a good choice since he is in a stage where he panicked whenever his husband ask for water. Surely, you’re not going to recommend your brother since Junmyeon is probably flying to Greece for a photoshoot.”

“We’ll think of that later. The important thing in here is for you to get a job.” The phone told him.

Minseok weighed the options of taking the job and declining it. Even though he wants to spend time with his adorable son, he needs a job in order to pay for the necessity they needed. After weeks of having no job, Minseok found himself staring at the empty refrigerator and a sobbing son, asking for food. And if not for Jongin inviting them over their house, his son has probably died because of hunger.

“Fine. What is this job you’re talking about?”

“There is a newly built business company in Gangnam. They were demanding for workers and I think it will be a great opportunity for you to work there since it pays a huge amount of money. I don’t know about the hours of work but we can work on that after you entered the company.”

“What about Sehun?” Minseok asked, completely ignoring the money that will be placed on his table. “Where could I entrust him?”

“Just ask for the Lee’s to take care of him. You knew that they were good people and Sehun adores them.” Jongdae offered.

The young father bit his lips, thinking of the proposition that his friend had proposed. “I don’t know, Jongdae. The Lee’s sometimes leave their house for hours and I don’t want Sehun missing… Sehun is missing!”

“What?” Jongdae spluttered in surprise, scattering the papers he had gathered to the floor because of the tone that Minseok had produced.

“Se-Sehun, my b-baby, is missing!” Minseok panicked as he searched for the park to search for his son. Slightly pushing the people on his way, the father can’t find his bubbly son who was holding a red ball.

“What? Where are you? I would go--… Ohh, I forgot I’m in Japan,” Jongdae said in confusion. And, if Minseok was not facing a dilemma, he would have laughed off Jongdae’s stupidity.

“I’ll talk to you later, Jongdae.” Minseok said as he tiptoed to see his son among the sea of people.

“Okay, don’t panic, hyung. You know that hyperventilating is not good for you.” His friend advised before the beep tone cut the line between them.

Taking a deep breath, Minseok tried to calm his breathing as he searched for his son. But to no avail, the father found himself panicking as his one and only calmness has gone missing among the crowd.

 

 

The colorful balloons that the man was holding caught Sehun’s attention. Ever since his Daddy brought him a set of color crayons from work, the little boy finds himself amused by the myriads of colors floating in the sky. Abandoning the place absentmindedly, little Sehun chased the colorful balloons, wanting to get a touch of that shiny balls that were floating in the air.

Distance started to get larger as the boy ran to the direction of the floating balls in the sky. Everything was forgotten as he giggled to himself while he pinpoint the colors of each balloons. He was skipping in his feet, his red ball in hand, as the sight of the balloons get larger and larger.

There, in a beautiful garden, children the same age as him flocked around a clown who was happily distributing the balloons for the kids. The grin on Sehun’s face was wiped out immediately when he spotted the man who has a hold of the beautiful floating balls. It was a clown, the terrifying man that bothered Sehun when he attended a party once. Fear started to worm his way to his little body. Sehun turned his back to seek comfort to his Daddy, only to find his Daddy gone.

A cry erupted from Sehun’s mouth as he asked for his Daddy, his tiny fists rubbing his petrified eyes. A pat was felt on his head and little Sehun turned around.

“What is wrong, little one? Would you like some balloon?”

Perhaps the big grin that the clown displayed was creepy enough, since Sehun started to cry louder and ran away from the horrifying man. Onlookers started to turn their attention to the crying toddler, wanting for the child to stop bothering their peaceful moment. The scrutinizing gazes thrown at him made Sehun cry more, asking for his Daddy to come.

“Why are you crying, little boy?” a man asked, making Sehun stopped momentarily to look at the man’s face. Finding the face of the man unfamiliar, Sehun’s face scrunched in distaste and he decided to continue his little drama.

But, before he can let out a wail from his mouth, a hand rubbed his back comfortingly, stopping the incoming sobs from his mouth. The consoling hand on his back reminds him of his Daddy who used to do that to put Sehun to sleep. Putting his closed fists to rub on his stinging eyes, Sehun quietly muttered for his Daddy, wanting for his father to comfort him.

“Are you lost?” the man asked in which Sehun responded with a shy nod.

The man smiled at the boy’s cuteness before he carried him in his arms. Normally, if other people did that to him, Sehun will start to thrash around, demanding that person to put him down. That is the reason why his father find it difficult to search for a babysitter since Sehun is not good with people.

“Let’s find your Daddy, okay?”

Sehun just nodded at the proposal of the man, his throat sore from crying. He quietly put his head on the elder’s shoulder, liking the comfort that the man was having. The man smiled to himself before he took the ball from the toddler who was having a difficulty of carrying it.

“What’s your name, little one?” the man asked as he bounced the toddler in his arms to ebb the frustration of the little boy.

“Sehun,” he answered shyly as he fiddled with his shirt. His shyness turned to giggle when the man started to bounce him higher in his arms. “How about you? What is your name?” Sehun asked with a pout as he turned in confusion to the man.

“You should call me Uncle Xiao Lu.” The man answered as he pinched the toddler’s cheek, earning a giggle from the baby. “Now, Sehunnie, do you want an ice cream?”

With the magic words, Xiao Lu earned an eager nod from the toddler and a piece of trust from the younger.

 

 

Minseok has already spent two hours trying to find his missing son. His face was started to sweat and his eyes were started to leak tears from it. His body was tired from the running but his heart and mind screams for Sehun, pushing him to go on to search for his child.

He had called the Lee’s to ask help to search for his son. Forgetting the rudeness he had displayed for bothering their rest, Minseok sighed in relief when the family agreed to help to search for the toddler.

The young father found himself in a beautiful garden when he spotted his son eating an ice cream with his hands and giggling besides an unfamiliar stranger. The color of the sweet confection painting his little hands made Minseok cringed at the mess Sehun was making himself. But, all cleanliness was forgotten, when he shouted for the toddler’s name.

Sehun turned his head to the direction of the voice. Spotting his father running from the other side, the little boy quickly abandoned his ice cream and his companion as he stormed to his father. Little feet scurrying in hurry before he jumped in his Daddy’s embrace.

Pushing the boy gently from him, Minseok searched for any injuries in the boy’s body. When he found his son safe from any harm, Minseok brought his son to his embrace and peppered Sehun’s face with kisses.

“Where did you go, Sehun? You made me worry.” The father said, tears threateningly to come from his eyes.

“Don’t worry, Daddy. Uncle Xiao Lu bought me ice cream and he told me stories about dragons and baochis. I want to go to China, Daddy! Can we go there?” Sehun asked, clutching his father’s shirt with hopeful eyes.

“Sure, baby. Anything for you.” Minseok absentmindedly recited to please his son. “Now, where is Mr. Xiao Lu? I would like to thank him for finding you.”

“There he is, Daddy!” the toddler pointed at the man who was standing a feet away from them.

The strings of thank yous that was supposed to escape from his mouth suddenly vanished into thin air when Minseok find himself staring at the man he had abandoned four years ago. Memories of midnight coffees, rustled bedsheets, loving kisses and hushed promises started to play in Minseok’s eyes as he stared at the familiar doe eyes.

The four years of separation has frozen them on their spots. The loud chatters of the people and the chirping of the birds turned mute as they reminisce the memories they have shared together. The little words coming from Sehun was forgotten when Minseok felt the horror of facing the man who had brought danger to his life.

On the other hand, Luhan’s eyes shines brightly in happiness of seeing his lover once again. The name that he had always called out during at night quietly escaped from his lips, bringing shudders to Minseok’s body.

“Minseok, I—“

“Appa!” Sehun suddenly called out, breaking the trance between the two.   

 


author's note:

okay, the ending is quite bad. but, who cares? i hope you find this update amusing.
anyway, school is starting for me tomorrow. that means, i'll update in a slow pace.
sorry to keep you all waiting. i was too busy tending my sensitive heart after i read
an angst story of xiuhan. i cried my tears out. normally, i don't cry in fanfics but that
fic just made me cry. so, i avoided xiuhan for a day. just for a day! i can't live without them.
uhmmm..... so that's all.
see you in the next chapter. have a good day. ;)