Chapter 6

Contract

 

“You haven’t even kissed her yet?”

 

Mr Lim slowly turns to look at me, positively dripping with disbelief. I immediately flip open the folder on my desk and intently scrutinize it. I’m sure it is absolutely vital I read this document at this precise time and ignore…

“Why?” He continues flabbergasted. “Do you not want to? Does she not want to?”

Ah! The Japan branch is doing well, I see. I will probably need to check about the suppliers…

“Taeyeon, the wedding reception is less than two weeks away. Are you planning on having your first kiss in front of…in front of everyone?” He plops down on the chair opposite me and runs a hand warily through his grey hair.

I swivel my seat towards the computer and open a few emails. Oh good! The research and development team have sent me their report on some of our clients. I click on it and begin to read with all the concentration I can muster.

“Are you angry at her? Is she angry at you?”

Why is he still on this topic?

“Did the two of you have an argument?” He persists.

He’s not going to stop anytime soon, is he? I sigh.

“Do you not find her ually attractive?”

“What? No – I mean, I do find her…” I take a moment to collect my thoughts and turn to face him.

“No, we haven’t had a fight. No, we aren’t angry with each other.” I glance sharply at Mr Lim.

“And?” He urges.

“And…yes, I am ually attracted to her and I want to kiss her.” I shoot back, hoping this would end the discussion.

I catch a slight movement in the corner of my eye and find Tiffany standing in the doorway looking stunned.

Excellent.

“Stephanie!” Mr Lim booms. He stands up, walks to her and gives her a friendly hug. “Come in. Come in. We were just talking about you!”

Why did he have to say that?

I clear my throat. “Tiffany, I was going to pick you up from your office.”

Tiffany’s office is in the Seoul branch of Hwang Industries which is about thirty-five minutes away. The plan was for me to go over there after work and pick her up for tonight.

Mr Lim leads Tiffany to the chair he was just occupying.

She finds her voice and replies, “Yes, well I finished work early and thought I would meet you here.”

I notice the light flush on her face. “Plus, my apartment is closer to your office so this way you don’t have to double back just to get me.” She adds.

Tiffany and I still live in our own apartments. I didn’t mind if we continued living like this but Mr Lim went on a spiel about how the public wouldn’t take too kindly about the whole thing. If you are married, you should live together and so on. Hence, Tiffany is staying at one of the apartments that her family owns in Seoul until after the reception.

Mr Lim is observing us, absolutely beaming. He opens his mouth but I swiftly cut him off.

“We should be going. Need to beat the traffic.” I grab my keys and march towards the door.

He gives me meaningful look and says, “We shall continue this discussion later.”

Not if I can help it.

 

 

Tiffany slides herself into the passenger seat of my car. She is wearing a white, mid-thigh dress and her hair is loose, cascading around her shoulders.

She gazes around the interior of my Mercedes and exclaims, “I never pegged you for a person who owns a sports car!”

I smile and start the engine. “You like?” I ask playfully.

Her hand runs along the red leather seat. “I like. I really, really like.”

“You don’t mind if we make a little stop somewhere, do you?” I want to pick something up before we go to her apartment.

“No, of course I don’t mind. Where are we going?”

I drive us to The Vault, an upscale fine dining restaurant in Northern Seoul. We walk through the glass doors to the reception area. A man neatly dressed in a suit approaches us and bows in recognition.

“Ms Kim. Ms Hwang. Come this way please.”

He guides us to a table by the fireplace. A waiter materializes by our side with two cups of hot coffee.

“Compliments of the restaurant.” He says before bowing and leaving.

Tiffany raises her eyebrows at the coffee and quips, “So do people always give you free drinks everywhere you go?”

“Mostly.” I shrug non-committedly.  

“What are we doing here?” She asks, studying the extravagant surroundings.

I take a quick sip of the delicious coffee and reply, “I didn’t want to go to your apartment empty handed so I called in a favour. The owner of this restaurant is an old friend of mine and – “

One of the diners – a lady – totters up to our table, interrupting me. She appears to be in her late fifties and is wearing a large feathery hat – which resembles a dead black bird, dangerously tipping off her head.

She clasps her hands together in glee and cries. “I hope you don’t mind me intruding, but I just have to say what a lovely couple the two of you make!”

“Thank you. That’s very kind of you.” Tiffany smiles sweetly.

“I have been admiring the two of you on the news and in the magazines.” The woman leans closer and I get a strong whiff of gin. “I was telling my husband how wonderful it is to see people in love! Ah, here he comes now!”

A well distinguished gentleman walks towards us – then right past our table. From behind him, a young man who looks in his early-twenties strolls up and takes the woman’s hand.

Oh…wow.

“Hello!” He greets us pleasantly. He turns to his wife and says, “We should go darling our car is ready.”

The alcohol has apparently made it impossible for her to hear. She continues dreamily, “I met Toby on holiday in Singapore. He was waiting on my table in these really tight shorts.”

She giggles then whispers scandalously, “Really tight! It was his beautiful buns that caught my eye!”

I hear a spurt of muffled laughter and see Tiffany guiltily reaching for her napkin.

“So, what made you fall in love?” She peers at me expectantly.

I nod my head and deadpan, “Same. Her beautiful buns.”

Ouch! Under the table, Tiffany’s foot made contact with my shin. The muscles in my face are straining to keep my expression straight.

“Isn’t that wonderful!” She declares delightedly. She has clearly indulged in one too many of her favourite tipple. “Come Toby! Stop bothering these two now!” She gives him an admonishing tap on the shoulder, as though it was him who was doing all the talking.

“Pleasure meeting both of you.” Toby says with a wave. As they walk out of the restaurant, the woman’s hand slyly s her husband’s left cheek.

Tiffany’s eyes meet mine and we hastily stifle our laughter. She starts dabbing at her eyes with her napkin.

“Wow.” I reach for my coffee and take another sip.

“Yaah! So the true reason of why you married me finally reveals itself.” Tiffany accuses.

I nod my head seriously. "It's true. I just want your body."

The moment those words leave my lips, I remember what was said in the office. My eyes dart to Tiffany who seems to be thinking the exact same thing. Damn! 

."Ehhem. Excuse me, Ms Kim. Ms Hwang."

The main in the suit returns with a large parcel wrapped in gold silk. He rests it on the table and says, “Here is the specially ordered beef from our exclusive butcher. Most expensive cuts and the best quality!”

“Thank you.” I reply. The beef that this restaurant uses is sourced from a private butcher. The meat is of prime class and not available for general public purchase. Only top restaurants who can afford this beef can obtain it. My friend, who so happens to own a few highly successful restaurants managed to get me six sets of this beef – each set costing five hundred USD.

“Please allow me to carry this for you to your car when you are ready.” He offers.

I glance at my watch. “We should go. Don't want to be late."

 

 

The drive to Tiffany’s apartment is filled with light banter interspersed with comfortable silences. She tells me about her family and her childhood. I share some stories as well – though mine are significantly less family orientated.

“How are you feeling?” She asks as we reach the building.

“Fine.” Which is the truth. I'm feeling strangely calm. It is the same feeling I get right before I delve into cut throat business negotiations. I pop open the boot and get the beef sets out.

We make our way up the lift and arrive at the door of her penthouse apartment. I barely hear what she’s saying as she keys in the door code. My mind is elsewhere, formulating the perfect strategy. Because in business, one needs to have a solid tactical plan.

Tiffany opens the door and we are immediately engulfed by cheers of welcome.

“Tiffany!”

“They are here!”

“My yeodongsaeng!”

I take a deep breath. About eight people are staring at us with smiling faces. Tonight I need to be on the ball.

Because tonight, I am having dinner with the Hwangs.