Chapter 3

Contract

It has been a week since Tiffany and I signed the agreement. We haven’t actually had any time to properly speak to each other since then. She was whisked away to Japan to manage a branch of Hwang Industries. Having her there will smoothen the transition of them merging with Kim Corporation. Whilst I am busy in Seoul, getting updated with the ins and outs of the main branch.

I’m currently at my desk sifting through piles of paperwork. There is a half-eaten sandwich teetering on the edge of the table. I’ve just finished three meetings with different directors and company execs regarding our corporate restructuring plan. I’m due to attend another meeting with one of our chief accountants, Mr Koh but he’s late. I frown slightly – unacceptable. I reach for my phone to get Janet on the case when I hear a brisk knock at my door. That should be Mr Koh.  The door opens and  Mr Lim walks in.

“How are you getting along Taeyeon?” He only calls me Ms Kim in front of employees or clients. To be fair, anyone who has ever seen my four year old self rock a pair of oversized sunglasses and dance to the intro for Gummi Bears can call me Taeyeon. And apparently I used to pronounce it as Dummi Pears.

“I’m getting there. I just need to have a meeting with the finance department and run over a few things.” I place the documents down and look at him enquiringly.

“Ah well Taeyeon, there are a few things we need to address.”

I’m surprised. “Oh really? What is it?” I whisk up the sheets of paper I had just placed down and began studying them again. “Was it the asset valuation? The internal audit? Individual branch turnovers?”

Mr Lim quickly cuts in with a laugh. “No. Not those things. I completely trust that you have memorized every number and word. No. It’s regarding you and Stephanie.”

I immediately stop what I’m doing. “What do you mean? Is there a problem with the agreement?”

“The agreement is iron-clad.” He takes a seat. “The issue is -two owners of companies, both extremely successful in South Korea and the rest of Asia, have gotten married - to each other. To put this lightly, all major news networks are biting at the bone to get as much information as they can.”

I do not need this. I sigh. “I suppose Tiff-Stephanie and I should hold a press conference. I will get Janet to let her PA know.”

Mr Lim shakes his head. “No Taeyeon. Think about this. From an outsiders view, you have swooped in at Hwang Industries weakest hour and taken over the company. To add to that, you are somehow married to the daughter of the displaced owner. A simple press conference will not do.”

“I believe the same obligation fell upon my shoulders too, Mr Lim. It took two signatures to validate the marriage contract. Anyway, if I hadn’t swooped in, Hwang Industries would cease to be.”

He nods in agreement. “I understand Taeyeon. But you know how journalists love putting a dramatic spin on things as much as they can. You know as well as anyone how important public relations are. Bad press for you equals bad press for the company.”

He continues. “I found out that Ms Hwang is quite adored by her employees. It won’t be wise to leave them under the impression that she has been forced into an unhappy marriage.”

I scoff. “This sounds…Hollywood worthy Mr Lim. Any thought on becoming a screenwriter?” I chide. “Anyway, there is a reason why Stephanie went to Japan. It’s better for them to take the changes coming from her. Shows them she is still very much involved.”

Mr Lim reaches for my half-eaten sandwich. “Oh really? What is there to say you haven’t forced her to parade herself in front of her employees and gain their trust by deceit? The two of you haven’t even had a ceremony or exchanged rings. True there is nothing to say she is an unwilling participant, but the converse is true as well.”

“So what are you proposing?” I say with resignation.

“You and Stephanie hold a wedding reception at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Seoul. Invite a number of employees from both companies. The press has to be there as well. There should be a cake cutting ceremony with rings exchanged and to end with a speech followed by a brief Q&A session with the press.” Mr Lim finishes with gusto. He looks at me, waiting for my answer.

“Fine. Can we let Stephanie’s PA know?”

Mr Lim gives me a big smile. “Why don’t you tell her yourself Taeyeon?”

I stare at him. “Because she is in Japan, Mr Lim and I have a meeting that was supposed to happen fifteen minutes ago.”

Why does his smile get wider? “No you don’t. I cancelled the meeting, it can wait.” He slips me an airplane ticket to Tokyo – dated today.

“What? You want me to go to Japan to meet up with Tiff-Stephanie?” I say with disbelief.

“Never underestimate good PR Taeyeon. I know you haven’t had the time to notice but the press is all over that lovely wife of yours. Go to the Tokyo branch. Take her out for a meal. And for goodness sake the two of you need to go ring shopping!”

I lightly massage my temples. “Do I even want to know what you told Mr Koh?”

Mr Lim says simply, “Oh…that you have the most horrendous case of explosive diarrhoea.”

He gingerly takes a bite out of the sandwich and walks out of my office leaving me with a pained expression etched on my face.