Chapter 2

Contract

What occurred in the boardroom was only known by myself, Mr Hwang, the board execs, and lawyers. So naturally by lunchtime, everyone in the company knew about it.

“Did you hear what happened?!!!”

“She’s going to marry his daughter!”

“So romantic!!!”

“Ohmygawdohmygawdohmygawd”

“Yea but what if like his daughter is like ugly and weighs like two tonnes or something?!!”

“Shhhh!! She’s coming act normal!”

Mr Lim is walking by my side. Everywhere I go, I hear the excited hubbub of hot new gossip being passed around the office. My employees still had the decency to pretend to work as I passed them. But once a safe distance was obtained, I hear them faintly buzzing away. The last time there was such a scene was when I first took over the company from my father.

We head back to the boardroom where Mr Hwang is waiting for my answer. It is just four of us with the lawyer on their end included. The rest of the people have been excused. It was no longer just business, this has become extremely personal. After an hour long discussion with Mr Lim, I have now resigned myself to signing the contract. For the greater good, I reasoned…and if it doesn’t work out, there is always divorce. I sigh. My mother would kill me if I ever went through with divorce.

I sit back in my seat. Mr Hwang is looking at me expectantly. I sigh again.

“What about Stephanie? What does she say to all of this? And where is she?”

“Stephanie has given me her word that she will give this contract a chance. Like me, she wants to preserve the livelihood of our employees. She is, I believe on her way to your office.” Mr Hwang answers.

“What!” I say taken aback. I regain my composure instantly. “And to what do I owe this pleasure?

“I think there are a few questions she wanted to ask you in person before she signed the agreement.”

There is a knock on the door. Janet pops her head through and says “I’m so sorry to interrupt but there is someone in your office to see you Ms Kim. I tried to say you were in an important meeting but she was very persistent.”

Mr Hwang lets out a hearty laugh. “That’s my daughter alright!”

 

 

As I get closer to my office, I notice a crowd workers gathered in a huddle – mostly men but I spot a few women as well. They seem to be trying to peek through the binds of my office window to see whoever’s inside.  They are so engrossed in their attempts they don’t notice me. I manage to hear snippets of conversation.

“Waaah so hot!”

“Our boss is so lucky…”

“Did you check out her legs?”

I clear my throat. “Working hard I see.” It was like a three headed lion had suddenly appeared in their midst. Everyone scatters at the speed of light, almost tripping over each other. I stare with disbelief as one man tries the ‘drop and roll’ technique.

“Sorry boss!”

“Sorry Ms Kim!”

I shake my head as I enter my office. Inside, there is a young lady with her back turned towards me. She is wistfully looking out the window where the sun is shining brightly. When she hears me enter she turns around. With sunlight streaming from behind her, Stephanie Hwang is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen in my life. I take a moment to get a hold of myself.

“Stephanie, I presume? I’m Taeyeon.” I raise my hand to shake hers but she doesn't move from her spot. I lower my hand.

“Tiffany. Please call me Tiffany.” She finally says. Her gaze is intense. I feel her scrutinizing me from head to toe. I make my way to my desk and sit down. I beckon for her to have a seat opposite me.

“So what can I do for you, Tiffany?” I’m still in business mode.

She takes a seat across from me. “The both of us have landed in this frankly unbelievable situation. I wanted to know your thoughts about all of this. We are about to be married to each other and-and I have so many questions.”

I take a deep breath. “Fire away.”

“How old are you? You look eighteen to be honest..”

“I’m twenty-five!!” I bring my voice back down and repeat more calmly, “I’m twenty-five.”

“I’m twenty-five as well. Are you seeing anyone?”

“I don’t have the time. You?”

“Broke up four months ago. We just weren’t compatible. Past relationships?”

I shuffle in my seat. I understand why she wants to know more about me - seeing as we are about to get married. However, I still don't like talking about my private life.  “Two long term relationships. Both women. What about you?”

“Three. The first was a boy during high school. The following two were women. Why did your relationships not work?”

“My work life interfered with a lot of things.” I hesitate. Her back to back personal questions are making me uncomfortable. “Look Tiffany, I need to tell you something.”

She immediately stares at me, full of apprehension. I feel like she has been waiting for me to make some sort of insidious revelation. Like tell her we can’t be married because my true intent is to see her family company crumble before my eyes as I dissolve into maniacal laughter…something to that extent.

“I am extremely bad at letting people...in. I don’t do emotional fluff. I wasn’t raised that way. My family aren’t very good at this kind of thing.” I confess.

“What kind of thing?” she asks.

“Being romantic and such.” Tiffany needed to know that about me. It would avoid a lot of misunderstandings later on.

A tiny smile tugs at the corners of . “Don’t worry about that Taeyeon. Putting business aside, all I ask is that you sincerely put an effort into making this relationship work. Not just between our companies but between us. Deal?” Tiffany holds out her hand. It’s balled into a fist with just her pinkie sticking out. She looks at me expectantly.

“The ladies room is down the hall and to your left.”  I reply.

I’m confused as to why she’s frozen like that – hand still extended.

“Do you not know what this means?” She asks incredulously.

“Of course I do.” Although now I’m a bit uncertain. “It means you need to go to the ladies room. Or if you are a man with…a smaller appendage, it can be seen as a sign of insult.” I finish and smile smugly at her. See I do know!

Tiffany’s sudden outburst of laughter takes me by surprise. “No you pabo.” She grabs my hand and interlinks our pinkies. “This means we have made an unbreakable promise. So deal?” She asks again.

Aish! It’s a little childish – but sweet.

I give her my most sincere smile. “Deal.”