Chapter 16

Contract

 

Living together with Tiffany is the next logical step in our relationship. It’s strange but I’m actually quite excited. It helps that we get along so well too.

Once the night dwindles down, people begin to leave. A limousine arrives to take us to the apartment. I’m just about to slide in next to Tiffany when someone grabs my shoulder.

It’s Mr Lim and his expression is very grave. This looks like trouble.

In a low voice he says, “Taeyeon, you will have to come with me. There is an emergency meeting.”

Surprised, I murmur back, “What? Where?”

“I managed to get a conference room in the hotel. You’ll have to come alone.” He stresses on the alone and briefly glances in Tiffany’s direction.

This doesn’t sit well with me.

I turn back and say, “Tiffany, you head on without me. There are some people I have to meet.”

Tiffany looks at me with concern. “Shall I come with you?”

“No it’s okay. No use both of us being tired out.” I give her a reassuring smile. “I’ll see you at home.”

Mr Lim waves goodbye to Tiffany and walks with me back to the hotel lobby.

“I didn’t want them to do this tonight. Fools.” He says, almost to himself as we board the lift. Mr Lim rarely gets angry so something bad must have happened.

“What’s going on?” We are the only two ones in the lift.

“Only a handful of us know about this. But then Mr Chae had to drunkenly blurt it out to one of the investors and now we have these idiots panicking.” He says angrily. He runs a hand through his hair in frustration. His bow tie is slightly skewed.

I exhale and repeat calmly, “Mr Lim, what happened? Why are we having an emergency meeting?”

The doors of the lift open and a few random hotel guests enter the lift.

Mr Lim sighs and says, “Later.” Meaning ‘not when there are people around.’

We exit the lift and walk briskly along a corridor. Unfortunately, throughout the walk from the lift to the entrance of the boardroom, there seemed to be a scattering of people. Mostly hotel guests but some staff as well.

“I guess you will find out in there, Taeyeon.” He says regretfully as he pushes open the door.

A full on commotion is taking place when we enter.  Several people in their evening wear are all arguing around an oblong mahogany table. I recognize them as senior board members and key investors. Speaking of which –

“This is full of bulgogi!” Mr Kang exclaims furiously. His comb over has flopped off his bald patch and is hanging precariously over his left ear.

“I thought the time span for something like that was six months or a year?” Another upset voice pipes up.

“Apparently they are taking the starting time as from when we began to pursue the acquirement of Hwang Industries which was precisely twelve months ago.” Mr Lim answers.

“That’s ludicrous!” Mr Park, a senior board member, slams a hand on the table.

“Ludicrous or not, they have found a judge willing to take this to court. And I’m not surprised. This would be an extremely high profile case. Would make any judge famous within a day.” Mr Lim says with a frown of distaste on his face.

I approach the head of the table and sit down. “Somebody please explain this to me. Right now.”

This is the first time I have spoken. Everyone turns and looks at me.

Mr Park glances expectantly at Mr Lim.

Mr Lim sighs and faces me with a slightly commiserative expression.

“Ms Kim”, He begins. The room is deathly silent. “There is a third party contesting the validity of the contract – the LME Corporation. If they succeed in proving that the contract has been broken, Hwang Industries will be dissolved and Kim Corporation will take a financial hit. They will then be able to dominate the market.”

Mr Lim glances at me meaningfully and adds, “One of their board of directors is related to Peter Lee.”

Something rings a bell. I know that name from somewhere. I’m sure I do.

“The same man who brought down Hwang Industries?” I ask. Mr Lim nods.

“This is a blatant conspiracy to bring down the competitors!” Mr Park exclaims. “Such disgraceful behaviour!”

“But the terms of the contract has been upheld. I don’t see how this would last a second in court.” I frown.

Mr Lim shakes his head. “We are not talking about the contract signed between you and Ms Hwang.”

“What other contract is there?” I have an uneasy feeling at the pit of my stomach.

“The marital contract applied to every citizen.” Mr Lim explains. “They are claiming that the marriage between the two of you is a fallacy and should be automatically annulled.”

I scoff. “And how are they making that claim?”

“Someone has leaked vital information. We don’t know who but they have a credible source.”

“What does this source say that suggests the marriage should be annulled?”

Mr Lim clears his throat. “By general marital law, any marriage not consummated within twelve months can be annulled.”

I almost want to laugh at this ridiculousness.

“They are ignoring the fact that Stephanie and I have only known each other for a few months?”

“Like I said, they are taking the beginning point as the time we started the acquirement procedures for Hwang Industries.”

“Exactly twelve months ago.” I say hollowly.

“Clever little kimbaps, aren’t they?” Mr Kang interjects. His face is all red and puffy.

“And based on your opinion, how likely it is that this case will go our way?” I look at Mr Lim who sighs deeply and takes a seat.

“Given their judge of choice, I’d say a fifty-fifty percent chance.”

What? That is too high of a risk. The sinking feeling I had just doubled.

I close my eyes for a moment to collect my thoughts.

“So correct me if I’m wrong.” I begin. “They have a legitimate insider who can provide undisputed evidence in court that Stephanie and I have not consummated our marriage during the legal time limit.”

“Yes.” Mr Lim says simply.

“Unless…” Mr Park says with a glimmer of hope.

I glance around the room. Everyone is facing me.

This is beyond unbelievable.

And a tad awkward.

“No.” I reply curtly.

The room dissolves into heated discussions again.

I exhale sharply and walk a few paces to calm myself. Mr Lim joins me at the corner of the room, away from everyone else.

“How long have you known.” I ask.

“Three weeks.”

“And you didn’t think to tell me?”

“I didn’t want it to hinder your progress.”

“My progress?” I echo in disbelief. “Clearly knowing would have hastened it.”

“I’m not talking about physical  advancement. I’m referring to your relationship. I know you Taeyeon. Had this been told to you from day one, you would have treated being with her like a job. You would have ignored any emotional growth. And that would have ultimately done damage in the long term.”

I’m quiet for a while. Maybe there is a hint of truth to what he said. 

“Mr Lim, why did you ask me to come alone? This involves both Stephanie and I. And don’t you think involving her in this will make it a far easier problem to solve?”

Mr Lim’s shoulders sag a bit as though another burden has been placed on them. “You have to understand, Taeyeon, there is a leak. Someone gave LME this highly valuable material. Someone who had access to this very personal information.”

“You can’t seriously imply Stephanie? That is ridiculous.” I say incredulously.

Mr Lim shakes his head firmly. “No. I don’t believe it is her, even for a second. But the board members have their suspicions.”

“So they are ordering me to keep her out of the loop?” I can’t keep the iciness out of my tone.

“No one can order you. But it is my legal advice not to make any enemies out of them. Oblige them in this one thing and when we find the insider, you can tell Stephanie.”

I pinch the bridge of my nose. “So what next?”

“They want to go to trial in three days, Taeyeon.” Mr Lim warns. “To make this all go away, you will have to consummate your marriage in three days.”

Okay. That doesn’t sound too bad. 

“Miss Kim?” Mrs Bae, another senior board member timidly calls me to the table.

Everyone is sitting around the table. It appears as though they have reached a conclusion to their deliberations.

Mr Park loosens his tie. “Ms Kim, if it’s okay with you, we have decided to create an emergency committee. The committee will be in charge of formulating a plan of action.”

“Wait a minute.” I lift my hand. “Define ‘plan of action’.”

Mr Park looks uneasy. “Um…a plan on how to…” His face is getting red.

“To have with Stephanie Hwang.” Mrs Bae adds helpfully.

“No.” I say horrified at the idea of strangers or worse, my members of staff, discussing my private life. “Give me two days. If the…terms of the contract are not met, we will go ahead with the committee.”

There is a few seconds of tense silence. Eventually, each board member and investor agrees to it much to my relief. Finally at four in the morning, everyone wearily leaves the meeting room. Mr Lim and I are the last two to walk out.

“If in two days, I somehow fail.” I turn to him with grim determination. “On day three, I tell Stephanie.”