Traditions and Habits

The LEE Family

"We're back!" Shouted the excited Jangwoo as he and his wife entered their house. The couple was welcomed with the usual in-their-own-world atmosphere in the house. Jaejin was in his corner reading a book, IU lying on the sofa while talking to someone on the phone, Jonghyun with earphones while tinkering with his guitar and Hongki on the carpet surrounded with lots of food while watching TV.

"Hyung, noona!" Hongki shouted excitedly making more mess as he stood up to welcome the couple. Jonghyun put down his guitar, Jaejin set aside his book and IU said goodbye to whoever was on the other line.

Hongki ran towards Jangwoo but to Jangwoo's surprise his brother ran directly towards his wife and hugged her. "Noona, I missed you." His brother said while hugging his wife.

"You didn't miss me Hongki, you missed my cooking." Eunjung said while his husband pulled his brother away from her.

"Noona, you equals food and food is very important to me. When you guys have decided to extend I was so mad. You should've left hyung behind." Hongki said and Jangwoo hit him hard on the head. "Ouch!" he cried.

"Hongki, get away from my wife. Let her rest. She's quite tired." Jangwoo said and Hongki gave him a malicious smile. "Yah, watch it." Jangwoo then pushed Hongki away.

It's now IU's turn to hug Eunjung. "Unnie, I missed you. Oppa's right, you should've left Jangwoo oppa behind and come back to us."

"I missed you too Jieun. But it was my idea to extend the honeymoon, It was so beautiful there and so warm." Eunjung told her sister-in-law.

Jaejin then hugged Eunjung after IU. "Noona, welcome to our home. If ever hyung mistreats you, don't hesitate to come to us, we will protect you." He said.

"What are you talking about Jaejin? Why would I do that?" Jangwoo shouted at his brother.

"Because you always mistreat us hyung." Jonghyun said and hugged Eunjung too.

"Yah! Why are all of you just hugged Eunjung? Didn't you missed me too?" Jangwoo asked his siblings.

"No." They all said at the same time making Eunjung laughed out loud.

 

As soon as they were settled down, Eunjung called everyone back to the living room with their presents from the honeymoon. Eunjung gave all them souvenir shirts, ethnic bracelets, white gold necklaces and keychains. Everyone loved it except for the twins.

"Noona really? Couple shirt for me and Jonghyun? What are we? 7?" Hongki said while looking at the identical shirts that was given to him and his twin brother. Everyone laughed then Eunjung produced another shirts for them. "I knew you'd be reacting this way, actually, these are your shirts" she said handing him the other shirts, "those shirts are actually mine and Jangwoo. I was just playing with you two. You're hyung told me that since you were kids, you two hated it when you have to wear identical clothes." Eunjung said making everyone laugh again.

"I knew you were just playing with us." Jonghyun said non-chalantly.

"And how did you know that?" Hongki challenged his brother.

"Because the size that noona gave you was smaller than mine. It won't even fit you. All you concern about was the design and forgot to even check if it will fit you." Jonghyun explained and Hongki checked the shirt and knew his brother was right.

"Guys I want you to check out the necklaces." Eunjung said and everyone got their respective necklaces and looked at it.

"If you look at it closely, it has two strings" she said as she took out her own. "Actually, this necklace is for couples. The pendant has a magnet that holds the two halves together. If one day you finally found the person you want to spend your life with, give the other half to that person. Let's just say let's make this 5 pairs of necklaces a family heirloom and tradition." Eunjung said earning smiles from all the five siblings.

"Unnie, did you buy this in the Philippines?" IU asked as she checked out the necklace.

"No, I had this custom made here a month before the wedding. I want to bring something new to our family and this is what came to mind. If you check, each pendant has a "Lee" engraved into it. Being part of this family made me really happy, this is my token of thanks for accepting me." Eunjung said and Jangwoo can't contain his pride for his wife anymore so he openly kissed her in front of everyone.

"Oh please, you're honeymoon is over and if ever you want to extend it again, please do it in your own room." Hongki said but it seems that the couple didn't hear him and just continued their kissing. Everyone then got up and left the couple who was making out in their living room.

 

"Oppa." IU said as she knocked on Jaejin's open door. Jaejin who was sitting in his study table looked up and smiled at his sister and invited her in. As soon as IU sat down she saw the necklace that Eunjung gave to Jaejin and checked it.

"It's really pretty huh?" She said and Jaejin just smiled at her.

"Are you planning on giving this to someone anytime soon?" She then looked at his brother who was reading a book.

"No. I remember noona specifically said to give it to someone I want to spend the rest of my life and right now, it's the last thing on my mind." He told his sister without even taking his eyes off of the book.

"I see. So does it also mean that you're not serious with Suzy? That she'll be just another one of those girlfriends if ever you got the courage to finally confess to her?" Jaejin then gaped at his sister latest question. Jaejin stared at his sister and she stared back at him.

"How did you know that I like Suzy?" He asked his sister.

"Oppa please, I'm not 7 anymore. Why else would you tag along us and not study if you're not interested in one of my friends. I don't think you have a thing for Minhwan or is it him that you like?" IU asked.

"Yah, I'm a man and I like girls." Jaejin said.

"Fine, so it only leaves Suzy. And oppa, I see how you look at my friend and how you take care of her." She said without taking her eyes off of Jaejin.

"And what do you know about those kinds of look?" Jaejin inquired.

"Oppa, I've had my share of confessions so I know okay?" she informed him.

"Confessions? You mean Minhwan's not the only guy who confessed to you?" Shouted at her. IU knew her brother's about to erupt but another brother erupted first.

"Give me the names of those guys who confessed to you!" Jonghyun said as he came running inside Jaejin's room. Obviously he heard the shout that Jaejin made. Soon Hongki also came running and Jangwoo too. IU was starting to panic for all her brothers were talking all at the same time. She tried to talk, to stop them but to no avail. They just kept on talking and even started planning on what they will do to those boys. Then she can't take it anymore so she began to shout on top of her lungs, "SHUT UP STUPID OPPAS!"

Everyone was shocked with IU's outburst and became silent. The silence was broken with Eunjung's laughter who was standing just outside Jaejin's door. She then went inside and sat beside IU then one by one she looked at the boys. "Your sister's right. I know you just want to protect her but don't you think you're going overboard? Even planning to scare those boys off? Do you want to make your sister an old maid?"

"No. Of course not. We let Minhwan woo her." Hongki said but immediately regretted when he remembered that Jangwoo doesn't know about it just yet.

"Minhwan too? From now on you two are not allowed to be alone together." Jangwoo said but shut up when Eunjung shot him a menacing look.

"Don't worry hyung, we trust Minhwan. He knows us better than anyone else so he won't mess with us." Jonghyun then said and Hongki and Jaejin nodded in agreement. Jangwoo sighed deeply and knew he they were right. "So aside from Minhwan, who else confessed?" Jangwoo insisted.

"You don't need to know. I have rejected them all because I knew you guys would react this way. As for Minhwan, he's still my best friend and he knows I'm still not planning to have a boyfriend. Dealing with you four stupid oppa's is hard enough as it is." IU said tiredly and Eunjung comforted her by making her head rest on her shoulders.

"You guys should be proud because boys like your sister." Eunjung told them.

"Of course they will like her. She's perfect." Jangwoo told his wife.

"Noona, it's not that we're not proud of that fact, it's just that not all boys are like me, Jaejin and Jangwoo hyung, most boys are like Hongki." Jonghyun said making Jaejin laugh but immediately laughed when he saw how Hongki reacted with his twins remark.

"Now what did I do?" Hongki said.

"You change girlfriends like you're changing clothes." Jaejin said then immediately hid behind Jonghyun's back.

"That's not my fault. I like girls and they like me back. I don't want to treat them like how Jonghyun treated Yoona and now look where he is right now with her, nowhere." Hongki said and Jonghyun almost punched him but Jangwoo warned Jonghyun with just a look so the younger boy contained his anger.

IU can't take it anymore. Suddenly she felt all her strength left her. She slowly stood up and began bowing to everyone in the room. "Good night. I'll be sleeping in my room if you need me." With that she left everyone in the room.

"But it's only 2pm." Hongki said not understanding why his sister wants to sleep in the middle of the day and everyone just shook their heads on how clueless he can be.

 

After an hour, Jaejin found himself hesitating in front of IU's room. He knew she's mad at him. He knew her sister has the right to get mad at him but he was just trying to protect her. So in the end he knocked and after a minute of no response inside he silently opened the door and stopped short when he found his sister who was sitting at her bed looking at him accusingly. With a bowed head he entered the room and sat on the bed.

"You can hit me as much as you want and I won't get mad." He said with head bowed low.

"Oppa, I know you mean well but sometimes you have to trust me. I'm not a kid anymore. I'm also a better judge of character. I know if the boy is sincere enough when they confessed and so far only one has done that."

"Minhwan?" Jaejin asked and IU nods. "Do you like him?" he prodded again. He waited for her to answer and when she didn't he began to get nervous. "You can tell me you know. I'm good at keeping secrets." He informed her.

IU then smiled at his brother seeing him so eager to know the answer. "What will you do if I tell you I like him?"

Jaejin then sat up straight and stared at his sister. He can't believe his precious little sister likes a boy already. "You really like him? Well I guess if it's him it will be okay since we know him and where he lives. If ever he messes up with you we would know where he'll be and we can easily deal with him."

"Is that the only reason why it's okay if it's MInhwan? Because you know where to find him if he ever messes up and not because he's the one that I like?" IU's voice starting to rise up again an indication of her getting mad again. Jaejin reminded himself that the reason he went there was to appease her so he took a deep breath and held her hands.

"Of course not. Whoever it is, if he's a person you like it only means that he's a great guy. I trust you. Promise  I will accept him and would even protect him from our unreasonable brothers." He promised and IU then hugged him. "Thank you oppa. You're really my favorite one in the whole bunch."

As they pull out from the hug Jaejin then said, "Are you okay with me liking Suzy?"

"Of course I am." IU assured Jaejin. "Who would better be my favorite oppa's girl than my bestfriend? Of course I approve of her."

"But Minhwan told me you won't like it at all." Jaejin said recalling his talk with Minhwan on the day of the wedding.

"About that, Minhwan told me about that. He said he only said that so that he can have more positive points with you and so that he can have you on his side." IU then smiled at him and Jaejin was shocked because Minhwan had him that day.

"Does Suzy knows that I like her?" He then waited for her to answer that question but IU was enjoying his uneasiness so she decided to stay quiet a bit more.

"Yah please answer me. Please don't keep me hanging. Does she know?" Jaejin kept on.

IU then smiled sweetly at her brother. "You know oppa, for a genius like you, you are too clueless when it comes to love."

"What does that mean? She knows? She likes me too?" He said full of hope but IU then lost her smile and he began to get nervous again.

"Oppa, I think you should talk to her about  this. You should confess to her. Then we'll see how she will deal with you. If she said yes, then you two will become a couple but if she said no, I'm sorry. But if I were you I will confess to her ASAP. Lately someone who is a bit more persistent than the others appeared and he's also kinda cute. He just transferred to our school this year. He's also starting to get famous as we speak. I think she's starting to like him."

"Who's he? What's his name?" Jaejin knew it was inevitable for Suzy to have suitors but when IU told him that Suzy's liking this other boy he knew he should make his move soon.

"His name is Song Seunghyun of the idol band Blue Island."

 

************************

Finally I was able to update! I'm so sorry for the delay. I'm having a writer's block but introducing this new "BLUE ISLAND" expect them to be the rival of "FnC Band" in more ways than one. I'd be introducing the other members of the band next chapter. DO anticipate it. I hope I'd be able to update as fast as I can. Actually I want to update tonight but I guess I need to work on my other story first. Sorry if this chapter deals more with family matters and the usual protective oppas but how I wish they were my oppas too... hehehehe..

Thank you to all who subscribed and commented. I'm sorry if lately I wasn't able to reply to each comments. Being a housewife can be very demanding. Hope you guys can understand my situation.