At the Park Part One

The LEE Family

 

Hongki arrived at the playground first. He was so anxious that he sat on a swing and began swinging so hard that he almost fell off of it. He then went to the slides. After a few rounds, he got tired of going up and down the slides so he went to the monkey bars and decided to sit at the top of it. A few more minutes passed and finally he saw Shinhye entering the playground. He immediately jumped from the monkey bar and knowing Shinhye that she loves swings, he went there and waited for her.

For the first time in their entire life, Hongki and Shinhye felt awkwardness between them. Both were silent for a long time until Shinhye finally said, “I missed you,” then she covered her face and Hongki realized that she was crying and it broke his heart. He immediately stood up and stood in front of Shinhye’s swing and pulled her up and hugged her.

“I missed you too stupid girl.” He was so sincere that Shinhye hugged him tighter and cried harder. Hongki pulled away from her and wiped the tears from her eyes, “But why are you crying?” he asked. Shinhye pulled him back and continued her crying which made Hongki feel more helpless so he just decided to let her cry her eye out before asking her what he wants to know.

After a few minutes of crying, Shinhye finally let go of Hongki and slowly sat down on the swing. Hongki guided her and seeing her okay he went behind her and slowly he started pushing her swing. The awkwardness gone and they were back to being Hongki and Shinhye.

After a while Shinhye began talking. “I broke up with Wonbin.” Shinhye knew that Hongki would’ve known about it by now so she decided to just start the conversation with it.

“Is it because of me?” Hongki asked but not in a narcissistic way.

In response Shinhye smiled and said, “Yes and no. Most of it because of me.”

Hongki began feeling really nervous and at the same time very happy. He knew that Shinhye still loves him but he needs to know what made her decide to break up with Wonbin and he’s not sure if he’s ready to know. He was lost in his thoughts and somehow Shinhye felt that his pushes were getting weaker so she knew that he’s feeling anxious and decided to continue. “Remember when we were kids when I told you that I wanted to become an actress?”

Hongki was surprised with her sudden change of topic but decided to just go with it and said, “How can I forget? You were so sure of yourself that you made everyone to also believe. We never doubted that you’d be a great actress someday plus the fact that you’re really talented. Why? Are you doubting yourself now?”

Shinhye was silent. Hongki got worried. He was about to say something when Shinhye said, “You know the real reason why I broke up with Wonbin?”

Hongki was getting confused with the sudden change of topic again. They were back discussing her relationship again and again he decided to follow the flow of conversation.

“Are you finally telling me the main reason why you two broke up?” He asked.

“Want to guess why?” She asked back.

Hongki thought about it and said, “Did his fans bully you again?” He was relieved when she shook her head for he was ready to beat Wonbin if ever he let his fans bully her again.

“His fans were starting to love me. They became very supportive of our relationship.” She answered.

“Did he hurt you in any way?” He was again relieved when Shinhye again shook her head.

“He was sweet until the very end. Even when I ended everything with him, he remained very understanding. I think I will never ever meet someone like him for the rest of my life.” She said and then she realized that Hongki just stopped pushing the swing. She knew he was hurt with her last statement. But she was on the roll. She needs to say everything or else she’d lose her nerves.

“I was really hurt when you really distanced yourself from me. I was expecting it but I didn’t expect the pain that will come with it. It was even more painful seeing you with your new found friend. But the most painful thing is losing my best friend.” She confessed.

“She was just a friend, nothing more, nothing less.” He defended himself though he need not do it.

“But you were really close with her. It’s like she replaced me in your heart… as your best friend.” Hongki was silent and she again felt the same pain that keeps on bothering her ever since she saw them together that night at the park.

“Did she really replace me?” She summoned all her courage when she asked that question. She was about to cry when Hongki remained silent. She stopped the swing and stood up and walked away from Hongki.

She was already crying when she felt Hongki pulled her and she cried harder when he hugged her. “You have no right to ask me such questions.” She heard Hongki say. She tried to break free but Hongki hugged her real tight. “You think you were hurt? I was dying from pain everytime I see you two walking hand in hand in the hallways of our school. Whenever I see you fangirling in his concerts, it’s like a million knives were thrown to my heart. When I see you in TV with him, I would just walk out and leave not wanting to see you smiling lovingly at him. Your pain was nowhere near to what I’m feeling.

“I missed you for so many reasons. I missed playing around with you. I missed spending time with you doing absolutely nothing. I missed you in our concerts. I missed you in our practice. I missed your unannounced visit to my house. I missed fooling around with you. I missed hanging out with you. I missed your mere presence. But most of all I missed my bestfriend.”

Shinhye then broke free from Hongki’s embrace and looked into his eyes. His eyes mirrored the pain she was feeling. She saw that Hongki’s beautiful face was wet with his tears. She touched his cheeks and wiped one tear that just fell from his eye. He closed his eyes when she kissed his tear away and then she said, “I am so sorry. I never wanted to hurt you.” Then she hugged him like there was no tomorrow.

 

After a while the two found themselves back at the swings.

“I need to hear it Hongkiya. I need to hear that she replaced me in your heart so I can finally move on.” Shinhye finally said.

Hongki then took a deep breath and said, “I admit, Minkyung is one special lady. Everyone in the family liked her. She instantly became a part of our family.” Shinhye frowned when she heard that but Hongki continued on.

“But it ended there. She’s a great girl and we clicked. We became good friends. I admit she somehow filled the void you left but she didn’t perfectly fit that space. I then realized that only you can fill it. Minkyung knows what I feel for you. I told her all my frustrations with regards to you and Wonbin. She even offered to talk some sense into you but I begged her not to do it. I don’t want to be a hindrance between you and Wonbin.

“I never thought that you two will ever break up because I know Wonbin won’t let you go. I was surprised when Jonghyun told me earlier this evening about you two. I called you immediately. I was so happy but at the same time I’m very anxious. I wanted to be the reason why you broke up but I felt that I won’t be enough reason for that to happen.”

Shinhye was silent. Hongki got nervous. Shinhye finally talk.

“The real reason why Wonbin agreed to break up with me is because he proposed to me.”

“HE DID WHAT?” Hongki was so shocked that he didn’t realized that he just shouted and unexpectedly Shinhye began laughing, so hard that she even fell from the swing but she continued on laughing.

Hongki was so confused then he put his hands on his hips and said, “Yah! Stop laughing! Stop it!” He told Shinhye but she just kept on laughing.

“What’s so funny?” Hongki asked. Shinhye finally got a grip of herself and hold up her hand asking Hongki to help her stand up. Hongki reached out his hand and pulled her. Shinhye went back to her swing and motioned to Hongki to sit down too.

“What’s so funny?” Hongki asked again.

“You are. I missed that reaction from you.” Shinhye said and began laughing again.

“Yah stop that and tell me what happened and I’ll try to control myself.” Hongki said as he gripped the chains of the swing.

“Control yourself? Why do you need to control yourself?” Shinhye asked.

“Because he has no right to ask you to marry him.” Hongki said.

“And why is that?” She asked.

“Because I’m the only who has the right to ask that question someday when I’m finally worthy to ask it.” Hongki was blushing so hard as he said it. Shinhye too blushed and began to feel electricity all over her body. She suddenly stood up and began shaking her hands and arms and feet.

“Yah! What are you doing?” Hongki asked.

“You’re too cheezy. You should distance yourself from Yonghwa oppa, you’re becoming like him. Is this how you talk with your flings?”

“I was never like this to them. I’m always cool and confident. You’re the only girl that makes me say such things.” He again blushed hard and Shinhye again began shaking her whole body as if getting electrified. She began to jump all around until Hongki said, “Stop that or else I’ll kiss you and make you senseless.”

Immediately Shinhye ran back to her swing, sat down and behaved herself.

“Why are you sulking?” Shinhye asked when she finally noticed Hongki sulking.

“You really don’t want me to kiss you?” He asked innocently.

“WHAT?” Shinhye shockingly asked.

“You immediately behaved yourself when I told you that I will kiss you. You don’t want me to kiss you?” He asked baring his heart out.

Shinhye was speechless. Hongki was so sincere with his question. She needs to do something to dodge the question.

“Back to the topic, Wonbin proposed to me though not formally. He just asked me to marry him out of the blue. He was even shocked with himself when he asked me. I was speechless. I never imagined him to ever ask such question. He immediately rescinded the question saying it was just a joke but it can be real if I will agree with him.

“I tried to ignore the question but it kept on nagging me. I realized how serious he was with me. He was so understanding with my real feelings. He even knows that I have feelings for you. He just said that he’d rather have me who still has feelings for you beside him than be without me. He loved me that much. I really tried hard to reciprocate his feelings but I guess nobody can really outshine Lee Hongki in me.

“I gathered all of my courage and finally talked to him. He was devastated but he was amicable. I told him the truth that I don’t deserve him. He deserves someone who loves him the same way he does. At first he tried to convince me not to break up with him but you know me, when I make up my mind, no one can convince me otherwise. So in the end we broke up.” Shinhye said as she ended her story.

Hongki then stood up in front of Shinhye. He then looked straight at her eyes. Shinhye can’t believe that Hongki’s eyes can still make her knees melt. He then smiled at her, she smiled back. He then said, “Can you finally be my official girlfriend until I make you my wife?”

Shinhye then smiled at Hongki’s question. She too stood up and stared at Hongki’s beautiful eyes and said, “Oh hell no.”

 

A/N: Again no worries. Part 2 is already done. I just cut it so that it won't be too long to read.