Haunting Past

The LEE Family

''Yah! What's wrong with you today? You've been sighing non-stop today. Did you and oppa had a fight?'' IU asked Suzy as soon as lunch break started.

''Don't mind her. It will pass.'' Minhwan said while munching his food.

''Do you know what's happening to her?'' IU asked the boy.

''Of course I do. I'm her best friend after all.'' Minhwan said as a matter of fact.

''And what am I?'' IU was beginning to sound very irritated.

Minhwan just then put his spoon down and began to stare at IU making the girl blush and this made his smile grow wider. ''You young miss, is my most favorite girl. The prettiest, the cutest and the most beautiful and I am so in love with you.''

IU blushed more but this cheesiness made Suzy woke up from her thoughts and began to hit Minhwan hard on the head.

''Yah! What was that for?'' Minhwan asked angrily.

''That's for being too cheezy. Eversince you knew IU got jealous, you've become like Yonghwa oppa. Stop it, it's so gross!'' Suzy said making IU laugh.

''Stop hitting him and start answering my questions. What's wrong with you and why does Minhwan knows about it?'' IU asked.

''That's what happens when you don't come in our practices. You miss a lot of things especially you miss how hot I can be behind my drums.'' Minhwan said cockily.

IU then smiled at him sweetly and said, ''And whose fault is it why I missed your last practice?''

Just then Minhwan too began to blush making Suzy look at them with so much curiousity. ''Yah! What happened between you two?''

IU then realized her mistake and began to act innocently. ''What do you mean? Nothing happened. Yah! Don't change the subject and answer my question first.'' IU demanded.

''Fine I'll answer your question but promise me first that you will answer my question too!'' Suzy insisted.

''Fine!'' IU shouted.

''Girls, it's okay, I can just tell you what you both want to know.'' Minhwan offered but Suzy punched him on the stomach while IU hit his head.

After a few minutes...

"Oppa brought a girl to their band's practice and so what? Don't tell me you're jealous?'' IU asked Suzy.

''I won't be if he had told me ahead of time why he's bringing her there.'' Suzy said defensively.

''Did he explain himself to you why?''

''He did.''

''Then what's the problem?''

''The girl flirted with him the whole time they were practicing and when oppa introduced me to her as his girlfriend she smirked at me as if saying that he's too good for me.''

''Did you tell oppa this?''

''Of course I did but he just said that I only imagined it.''

''But why was she there?''

''Because she's a friend. But that was the first time I saw her.''

IU was quite shocked with his brother's reason. It was a known fact that only family, girlfriends and bestfriends are the only people allowed to watch the band practice and mere friends especially fans are never allowed.

''So who's this girl?'' IU asked.

''Someone named Nicole and she just transferred to his school?''

''Nicole? Sounds familiar... HAH! Nicole!'' IU shouted as if she knows who the girl is.

''You know her?'' Suzy asked.

''Of course she does. Nicole noona's hyung's first love after all.'' Minhwan explained out of the blue making Suzy look at him hurt and IU seeing this automatically hit him hard on the head.

''Yah! What's the big deal? Why did you hit me?'' Minhwan asked IU. IU then pointed to Suzy and it was only then that Minhwan realized his mistake.

''Is that true? When did it happen?'' Suzy asked while staring into space. She then looked at IU who kept silent. ''Silence means yes.'' Suzy finally said.

"Remember the two years you were in America? Well, just before you left, Nicole unnie transferred here from America. She became bestfriends with Seohyun unnie and thus became good friends with oppa and Yoona unnie. There was another guy in the group named Jinwoon. Soon Nicole unnie became the closest to oppa. Their relationship was a bit confusing. Both know they like each other but they weren't really together together. By the way, weren't the unnies at the practice that day?''

''They weren't. They had exams that day. And why is it that the twins weren't excited to see her again?'' Suzy asked.

''Because they weren't close to her. She was here for only a year and a half and you know the twins, though they're famous, they pretty much keep to themselves. And they're on a different grade." IU explained.

''Are you too close to her?'' Suzy asked her.

''Yes I am but I'm closer to you since you're my bestfriend. Don't worry, oppa loves you. It was just puppy love with them.'' IU answered.

''Why do you think Jaejin oppa didn't tell me about her?" Suzy continued to ask.

"I don't know. Have you ever asked him about his past?" IU asked.

"Nope. I was pretty much convinced that I was his first." Suzy answered.

"You are his first. As IU told you, what they had was not really official. It was just an understanding and before their relationship was taken to the next level, Nicole noona moved back to America." Minhwan said.

"Don't worry, believe in oppa. I know that he loves you. Even though she is his first love, still, she's the past and you're the present." IU said hoping that her words will comfort her friend.

"Yes believe in Jaejin hyung. Don't worry, even if there wasn’t really a closure between them, for sure he's all yours now." Minhwan added.

"No closure? What do you mean?" Suzy asked.

"Well, Nicole noona just all of a sudden moved out. She didn't told anyone that she was leaving until the day they were going away. It was a big blow to hyung that time. But don't worry, as I've said, he's all yours." Minhwan answered.

IU wanted to hit Minhwan hard because his last words made Suzy anxious again. She too remembered what happened that day and as she remembers her oppa that time, she began to worry so she tried to change the subject. "'Do you want to know why I wasn't in the practice?''

 

''That was really Nicole? Wow, she's so hot now.'' Hongki said while the boys were watching tv that night.

''Yah! Don't even think about it. She's your brother's ex. That's just gross.'' Jonghyun said while munching some popcorns.

''Hyung please stop it. She's not my ex. It was just a mutual understanding that we liked each other. And besides we were just kids then.'' Jaejin said while texting his girlfriend who seemed to be not talking to him since that practice day.

''You mean little Nikki's back?'' Jangwoo said as he dipped his hands on the bowl of popcorn.

"Oh yes she is hyung and she's smoking hot!'' Hongki said while earning a whack in the head by Jonghyun and Jaejin glaring at him.

''Don't tell me you still like her?'' Hongki asked Jaejin.

Jaejin then sat up straight at stared at the TV, ''Of course not. And besides I have Suzy now.'' He said nervously. Just then his head was hit and he turned around and found his sister looking at him angrily.

''Don't you even dare hurt my friend or else Hongki oppa will be my favorite oppa.''

With that IU ran up to her room.

Jaejin immediately ran after his sister. He found her inside her room with her arms crossed and looking at him with disappointment.

''Before you think of anything let me say this first, I'm not cheating on Suzy.'' he said and then sat down beside her.

''Oppa I know you. You're always confident on your answers but earlier you were not. Are your feelings for unnie coming back?''

''No it's not but honestly I was very happy to see her again. She was my bestfriend afterall. True she's my ex and her being that means she's special to me.''

''But what if she comes back to get you again? Where does my Suzy stands?''

''I don't think that's the reason why she came back.''

''But what if it is?''

''It's not.'' Jaejin said as if convincing himself.

 

The next day much to IU's surprise, Nicole was waiting for her by their school gate.

''Unnie!! Is it really you?'' IU was surprised how Nicole had changed. Hongki oppa was right she was hot and very beautiful. Nicole then ran to her and the two hugged as if squeezing the life from each other.

Just then, Minhwan and Suzy came and Suzy was shocked as to how close the two girls were. IU then said, ''Unnie, I guess you've met Suzy.''

Nicole then smiled at Suzy and said, ''Do you guys want to eat out with me? I missed my dongsaeng and I don't want to let go of her yet.''

IU sensed the awkwardness and tried to ease it, ''Unnie let's just go..''

''No it's okay.'' Suzy interrupt, ''You guys just go ahead. Oppa's picking me up today'' Suzy said.

''Jinnie's coming?'' Nicole asked and Suzy nodded. ''That's even better, we can all just hang out.''

Just then two arms began to hug Suzy and she was very surprised but realizing who the arms belong to, she began to hug those arms too. ''I missed you.'' She heard him say softly to her.

Jaejin then looked at the group and said, ''Nicole, you can take those lovebirds but leave this one here with me.'' He said as he kissed Suzy's cheeks.

''Yah oppa! PDA's not allowed here, you might get her in trouble.'' IU said.

''Then we better go now. Have fun guys coz I know we will.'' With that Jaejin pulled Suzy away from them.

All the while, Minhwan was looking at Nicole and saw the hurt in her eyes.

 

"So, when did you come back?" IU asked Nicole as they were eating their ice cream. Minhwan was silently eating his own ice cream but he's observing the two girls.

"Last week. I convinced my parents to send me back here. I'm planning on enrolling on the next school term." Nicole answered.

"Really noona? Why would you want to study here?" Minhwan asked. He's becoming uneasy by the moment.

"Just because…" Nicole said with a mysterious smile on her face. "By the way, I saw Seohyun yesterday with her boyfriend, all I can say is he's so hot."

"Weren't you introduced to him when you went to their practice?" IU asked.

"Jaejin introduced me to him as the leader of the band. He forgot to say the fact that Yonghwa is Seohyun's boyfriend so when I saw Seohyun, I was surprised that he's her boyfriend. But he's really hot." Nicole said.

"Yonghwa oppa's your type?" IU asked.

Nicole laughed. "No he's not. I'm just appreciating him. I haven't changed my ideal."

"The Jaejin type?" Minhwan asked and stared at Nicole. Nicole stared back and smile then said, "By the way Minhwan, don't you have a band practice today? I've heard from Seohyun that she's going there today. Won't you be late?"

Minhwan knew that Nicole's dismissing him. He then smiled and stood up. "IU aren't you going to watch?" He asked but before IU can answer, Nicole said, "I hope you will spend more time with me today IU. I really missed you."

IU then looked at Minhwan and stood up. "Unnie, can you please wait for me, I'll just have a word with Minhwan outside." With that IU dragged Minhwan outside the ice cream shop.

"What's wrong?" IU asked.

"She still likes hyung and I just don't want to see my bestfriend hurt."

"Well for your information, Suzy's my bestfriend too, oppa's my brother and unnie is a good friend."

"But what if she asks you to help her get hyung back?"

"I don't think she will. She's too smart for that. Just go or you will be late and your hyungs will get mad at you. If Suzy's not going to ask, don't tell her I'm with unnie."

"And if she asks?"

"Tell her the truth."

"Can I have a good luck kiss?"

"No."

With that, IU left a very disappointed Minhwan and went back inside the shop.

 

"Can I ask you something?" Nicole said as soon as IU sat down. IU nodded so Nicole continued, "Who's Suzy?"

"She's my bestfriend and as you know oppa's girlfriend." IU answered proudly.

"Have I met her before?" Nicole asked.

"No. When you came here, her family moved to America."

"I see. Jaejin really likes her?"

"Yes he does. He's been carrying a torch for her for two years before he got the courage to confess. He even sang a solo on a concert just to prove to her he loves her."

"Really? He sang a solo? Jaejin sang a solo?"

"Yes he really did. We both know it's his biggest fear, to sing solo, but he overcome it because Suzy asked him to."

"Wow, I guess he really likes her huh."

"No unnie. He loves her."

Nicole then looked at IU and IU looked back at her. "Why are you asking me questions about Jaejin oppa and Suzy? Do you still like my oppa?" IU asked without blinking.

Nicole smiled at her question and said. "I'd be honest with you. When my parents told me we were moving, the reason why I didn't tell anyone we were leaving was because until the last day I was trying to convince my parents to let me stay here. And when I was in the US, I did my best to prove to them that I'm a responsible person and when I gained their trust, I convinced them to send me back."
 

"What's so special here?" IU asked and she's getting nervous at what Nicole's going to say.

Nicole then smiled, looked at IU in the eye and said, "A guy named Lee Jaejin."

 

After FNC's practice, Jaejin was about to bring Suzy home when they heard Nicole calling out to them. IU was walking beside her and Suzy noted that something's bothering her friend. She then went to IU and whispered, "Something wrong?"

IU then looked at her friend and said, "No. How was the practice. Where's Minhwan?"

"He's still inside with the twins. They're told by Yonghwa oppa to clean up." Suzy answered.

"Why are you looking for Minhwan?" Jaejin asked.

"We just need to talk about something. Oppa, take care of my bestfriend. Okay?" IU asked. She then looked at Nicole who was smiling at her.

"By the way Jaejin, is Seohyun and Yoona unnie still inside?" Nicole asked.

"You just missed Seohyun. She already went out with Yonghwa hyung but Yoona's still inside waiting for Jonghyun hyung."

"Jonghyun? Lee Jonghyun? Yoona finally snagged him?" Nicole asked very amused.

"Yes. They're together. It's quite an interesting story. Ask her about it. I need to go now. I still need to bring Suzy home. Bye." Jaejin said and with that he took Suzy's hand and the two of them left IU and Nicole.

 

All the way to Suzy's house both of them were silent while walking. Though Jaejin's not letting go of her hand Suzy feels that something was off. When Jaejin was about to leave her she called out, "Oppa, can we talk?"

Jaejin then looked back and smiled at her and nodded. They went to the nearest park and when they were finally sitting on the swings Suzy began to talk. "Why didn't you tell me about Nicole?"

Jaejin was quiet then finally he looked at her. "Because the topic of our past relationships never came up. When you came I started heal and forget her."

"Was it really painful? What she did to you?"

"Can I really talk to you about her? Won't I hurt you if we talk about her?" Jaejin asked sincerely.

Suzy looked at her feet. "I really want to know who she is to you oppa. I want to know everything but I won't force you to tell me if you don't want to."

Jaejin then took her hand and began talking, "I met Nicole through Seohyun. They were best friends. Somehow the two of us just clicked. We were the complete opposites of each other. We were like yin and yang. No one really confessed. I just knew I like her and she knows it and she likes me and I know it. We just knew without anyone saying it. On the day I was planning to make it official between us, she left. She just called for a group meeting and told us that she's leaving. I was devastated, I was full of regrets because I wasn't able to tell her what I really feel.  Then you came. You reminded me of her. You were playful and nice and I started to get interested. At first I thought I liked you because you two were similar but as we got closer I realized you were very different from her. Thinking about it, I don't even know why you reminded me of her. You're too different from her and that's when I began to fall in love with you. You made me feel complete. When I'm with you, I become a better person. I realized that I need you in my life."

"But what if she wants to get you back oppa? Will you go to her?" Suzy asked full of worry.

Just then Jaejin stood up in front of Suzy and he held her chin and made her look into his eyes. "I love you Suzy. Don't ever doubt that." Then he hugged her.

Suzy was relieved at his answer at the same time she realized that he didn't really answered her question.

 

Meanwhile at the bands practice room…

"Unnie!!!" Nicole called out to Yoona.

"Nicole!!! Finally I'm seeing you. I missed you. Look at you. You're so pretty." Yoona exclaimed.

"Unnie, I missed you too. I can see you're finally happy. You've become prettier too. You've finally got your guy huh?" Nicole teased Yoona.

"Yes, and he loves me so much… You'll get jealous when you see us. So what made you come back?" Yoona asked.

"Unnie, about that, I need your help with something." Nicole then said.

"Tell me. What do you need help with?" Yoona asked as they both sat down.

"Help me get Jaejin back."

 

AN: Bear with this chapter, It's unedited and very raw. I wrote half of this on my phone two weeks ago. I hope it's okay to you guys. Sorry if I'm not updating lately, suffering from writer's block. I really hope I'd be able to update soon... Thanks for the subscribing. Please leave some comments...