Pain

The LEE Family

Hongki felt that one week of waiting dragged as if it was 10 years instead of a week. He did his best avoiding Shinhye. Most of the times he would just go straight home after school when the band doesn’t have to practice or if ever the boys would be able to convince him to go out, he’d make sure they’d go to places where he knew Shinhye will never go to. Several times Jonghyun would try to talk to him about her but even before he could form a second sentence, he’d begged his brother to keep his ideas to himself. At first Jonghyun would try to insist and when he does that Hongki would just get out away from his brother.

In spite of the wait, Hongki somehow felt that all his waiting would pay off in the end. He knows Shinhye loves him. He also knows that Shinhye loves Wonbin in her own way but still he didn’t feel threatened by it. He kept on repeating the tale that Shinhye told him and it would always reassure him that she too loves him.

It was 2nd day to the last of the hell week. In two days, Hongki would be able to show himself to Shinhye again and they will be able to talk again and hopefully after the day ends, they will become a couple. But just like life, nothing is certain.

The group was in their studio waiting for their leader to make an appearance. Hongki who is obviously excited about the coming day is very restless so he decided to channel his energy with the drum set. He took the sticks from Minhwan and started playing random beats. Much to the other three boys surprised, Hongki was quite skilled. Jonghyun then said, “Don’t tell you got yourself a new drumset in that lair of yours, that’s why you know how to play drums.”

Hongki smiled and said, “Nope but I play with the drums everytime I come here early.” The three boys just shook their heads.

Then the door burst open and their long-awaited leader came in happily. “Guess what happened?” Yonghwa told them making the other’s more puzzled than before.

“What?” Jaejin asked.

“Guess!” Yonghwa insisted.

“Ahhh… You and Seohyun noona’s getting married soon?” Minhwan asked.

“Yah! If that’s the case then I would have kissed all of you already.” Yonghwa answered.

“Hyung just tell us what it is. I don’t think anyone of us has an idea what happened.” Jonghyun said without any real interest in the subject. Yonghwa sighed with his reaction.

“JYP called me and said he would love us to be the opening act for the concert of 2PM in Japan!” Yonghwa exclaimed.

Somehow the boys can’t believe it. They all gaped at Yonghwa who kept on nodding his head. Then everything went crazy. The boys caught on Yonghwa’s excitement and now everyone of them is talking at the same time. Everyone was obviously very excited with the good news.

“But hyung, when are we leaving for Japan and how long are we staying there? How about school?” Jaejin asked.

“Somehow I knew you’d ask that.” Yonghwa told Jaejin. “So I took the liberty of talking to Jangwoo hyung if he would let you guys go and he said since the exams are over, it would be okay. So I went to the school and told them about it and the college knew that it’s a good opportunity for us so they will send us the month long lesson and we just need to email them our assignments every week and when we come back they will give us special exams for the ones that we will be able to miss.” Yonghwa explained. Then Minhwan was about to say something but Yonghwa said, “The same goes with you too. I’ve talked to your professors too.”

Everyone jumped up and down. They were very excited.

“So it will be a month long tour with 2PM and school’s okay with it. That’s good so when are we leaving?” Jonghyun asked.

“Two days from now. Since we don’t have class tomorrow, everyone can say goodbye to their girlfriends and families. It will be a month away from everyone dear to us.” Yonghwa said.

Jonghyun then looked at Hongki who suddenly turned very pale. “Hyung, can’t I just go there a day later?” Hongki asked when he finally found his voice.

“You can’t. JYP’s paying for our plane fare and it would be very rude if you do that.” Yonghwa said knowing fully about Hongki’s hell week. “But you still have tomorrow to talk to her. Just cut your week shorter, I think she’ll understand that. Knowing Shinhye, she’d be very happy for us and she would hate it if she’s the reason why JYP will get mad at us.” Yonghwa continued and smiled when Hongki nodded.

After their meeting, Hongki decided to not wait anymore but go directly to Shinhye’s house. Since he knew Jaejin’s going there too to talk to Suzy, he and his younger brother went together.

But as soon as they reach the house, Hongki’s world began to crumble. “Oppa, Unnie’s not here right now. She just went on camping with some friends and they will be staying there two more days.” Suzy told Hongki.

“I see.” Hongki said. “Where is this place? I’ll go there tonight.”

“I’m sorry Oppa. I don’t know where it is since Unnie too didn’t know where they will be going.” Suzy answered.

“Hyung, why don’t you try calling her?” Jaejin suggested.

Hongki immediately dialled Shinhye’s number and was relieved when it rang. But soon he gets giddy when she didn’t answered his call. He tried for three times and when he was about to try calling again, a maid came out handing Suzy a phone. “Miss, this phone kept on ringing.” The maid said.

Suzy took the phone and looked sadly at Hongki. “Oppa, stop calling her, this is her phone. She left it here.”

Hongki almost threw his phone away out of disappointment. “Do you know who she went camping with?” He asked Suzy and Suzy began to fidget and looked anxiously at Jaejin. Jaejin looked at her confused but after a while realized why Suzy was acting that way and just said, “No!” Suzy then nodded knowing Jaejin understood her. Then they both looked at Hongki.

Hongki got worried with the look that they were giving him. He knew whatever is behind that look is very bad news. “Who is she with?” He again asked somehow dreading to know the answer.

Suzy then again looked and Jaejin as if asking him if she should tell or not and her boyfriend put his arms around her as if assuring her that it’s alright to tell. “Wonbin Oppa.” Suzy finally said.

Somehow deep inside Hongki knew that it would be the answer to his question but still he didn’t expect how painful those words can be. He thought he was cut in half by a chainsaw and that his heart was crushed with Thor’s hammer. Suddenly he felt very tired and bid goodbye to his brother and Suzy.

 

IU and Eunjung can’t seem to stop preparing the boys’ clothes and stuff for the trip. Eunjung was in charge of the boys’ wardrobe while IU’s taking care of their basic necessities. The two girls were very helpful to the boys since Jonghyun and Jaejin are both busy spending quality time with their respective girlfriends.

Since it was only Hongki and Minhwan who doesn’t have girlfriends in the group, the two were made to go to JYP to get their tickets and itineraries. Minhwan tried to cheer Hongki up but he failed in every attempt. Finally in the end, he gave up.

 

The boys didn’t realize how busy they will become as soon as they stepped on Japanese soil. As soon as their plane landed, they were accompanied to their hotel rooms and were told that in an hour, they will need to go to the concert venue to practice.

The boys hurriedly prepare for the practice and true enough after an hour they were brought to the concert venue. They immediately set up their instruments and soon they were beginning to practice. It took them 3 hours to practice and by the time they were through every one was dead tired. Yonghwa then called Seohyun and his parents. Jaejin, called Suzy and IU. Jonghyun called Yoona and Jangwoo. Minhwan called his mom and also IU. Hongki called Shinhye. But still no one answered Shinhye’s phone.

 

Everyday Hongki would call Shinhye and after 3 days of trying, finally Shinhye answered. “Hongkiya! I missed you guys. How’s Japan?” She said as soon as she answered the call.

“Japan’s fine. I miss you too. Why are you not answering my calls?” Hongki asked.

Shinhye then hesitated on the other line but she knows that the best way to deal with Hongki is by being honest so she said, “The camping was extended. The campsite was very beautiful. I really hope that one day I can bring you guys there. For sure Jangwoo oppa would love that place.”

Then there was silence as if both of them were waiting for the other to say something first. Hongki knew it’s now or never. “So, have you decided?” Again another pause. Each second that pass makes more Hongki more anxious then he heard Shinhye took a very long sigh.

“Hongkiya, you do know that you’re one of the most important persons in my life right?” Shinhye asked. Hongki grunted in response. Shinhye continued, “You also know that it would kill me if ever I will lose you right?”

“But you will never ever lose me Shinhye. You know that?” Hongki said.

“Honestly I don’t. Life is very unpredictable especially if you’re in it. I thought about everything a lot. I came to realize that I do love you and I still love you.” Hongki hearing these words smiled widely but he knew Shinhye has a lot more to say so he kept quiet.

“But I don’t think I’m ready to go on a relationship with you just yet.” Shinhye then said.

“Why?” Hongki could only ask.

“’Coz majority of me is scared that if ever we take on the next level we would destroy our wonderful friendship. I’m scared what jealousy can do to us. I’m a very jealous girl and you’re one handsome friendly guy. I would hate it if I will see you cozy with another girl.

“But the main reason why I’m still not ready is because you’re a keeper. If ever I’ll make you my boyfriend now, I won’t be able to have any other boyfriends. I want to experience more from life. I’m an aspiring actress, I need a lot of experiences to draw different types of emotions. I know it’s a very selfish reason that would make me look like a flirt but this is what I feel right now and you know I never lie to you and this is the real reason.” Shinhye finished.

Hongki was silent. He can’t seem to know what to say. He knew Shinhye’s free spirit and he knew she was right that if ever the two of them starts to go out, it would lessen her chances to experience more stuff with other people. The pain started to crawl up again and he’s starting to hate the feeling. He then said, “You do know that if ever you let go of me now, you and I might never ever be together do you? What if a girl appears and she can make me smile again, are you sure that you won’t regret this decision of yours?”

“Of course I’ll regret it. I know that during this crazy period of mine you might find someone else to love and it will cause me great pain but I really need to do this. I’m sorry if I’m so selfish right now and I know after this call I will fall down and cry my heart out. But I can’t be with you right now. Not just right now.” Hongki heard every pain in Shinhye’s voice. Why is it that he can never force himself to her like he can with other girls? Maybe he really just love her too much.

“Shinhye I love you and I will let you go. But know this, I am also not someone who would promise you that I will wait for you until you’re ready. If ever someone appears and she was able to make my heart beat again I’ll go to her and woo her the way I’m doing right now. I won’t let you ruin my chances also with other girls. Do you know that?” Hongki asked. Trying to  scare her a bit.

“I know that and how I pray that it will never happen. I told you I’m very selfish and crazy right now.” Shinhye said. Hongki just closed his eyes shut. He knew no amount of threat will change her mind. He knew that when she makes up her mind, there’s no point of changing it. He then asked, “Are you together with Wonbin again?”

Another sigh came out of Shinhye, “Do you really need to know about it?” She asked.

“Yes.”

“Yes, we’re together again.”

“Are you in-love with him?”

“I told you I love him in my own way. He also knows about this crazy period of mine and he’s okay with it. He just said that he’d do his best so that I will never ever let him go.”

“Can you just do that with me instead of him?”

“No. I love you too much. If you’re in his position I will never ever let go of you and that will be my problem.”

“I see… So, I guess I better go now. See you when I get back in Korea. I don’t think I can call anytime soon, I’m still in pain. But I wish you all the luck.”

“… Hongkiya?”

“Yes?”

“Are you still my best friend?”

“Of course. Nothing can change that but please, give me time to get back to my usual self.”

“Sure… I love you Hongki.”

“I know.  But that type of love is not what I want right now.” He then hung up.

 

Hongki was thankful that his days in Japan were very busy to the point of exhaustion everyday. As soon as everyone goes home, they’d go straight to bed to sleep. The other guys would only be able to text or call their girlfriends in the morning right before they start another busy day.

The busy day made Hongki temporarily forget Shinhye and the pain until one day when they were checking some  entertainment news on the net.

“Oh Wonbin is Not Single Anymore!” The headline said.

Jaejin then read the article and Jonghyun kept his eye on Hongki all the time. Somehow he was shocked that his brother was taking everything just fine. After Jaejin read the article Minhwan asked, “Hongki hyung, do you know anything about this?” Hongki nodded.

“Since when?” Yonghwa asked.

“Third day here in Japan.” Hongki answered unaffectedly.

“And you didn’t tell me about it?” Jonghyun asked.

“I thought she’d tell you herself.” Hongki said.

“Are you okay with it?” Jaejin finally asked the question he dreads.

“No. But you all know her. When she makes up her mind, there’s no way of changing it.” Jonghyun then went beside his brother and hugged him. He knew his brother must be in a lot of pain lately and he was oblivious of it. “I’m sorry. You should’ve told me. I could’ve helped you somehow.” Jonghyun said.

Hongki broke away from his brother and said. “No it’s okay. We’ve been very busy lately and that helped a lot.”

“Then let’s go out.” Yonghwa told the boys. “Wooyoung told me of a Korean bar here in Japan. He said we should check it out. The acts there are quite good. Let’s have a break from our busy routine and have some fun and relax.”

“I like that.” Hongki said with a smile.

 

An hour later the boys found themselves inside the bar Yonghwa was talking about. They immediately ordered Korean dishes and they were so happy that the food was so good as if they’re in Korea at that moment. Just then a singer entered the stage and began to sing.

With a heart that should forget

Closing the door to my empty room

Your scent still lingers

Filling the empty room

 

I lay down and look at the ceiling like this

In front of my eyes a mirage of your figure appears

When I turn to forget you

Wordlessly the dew drops fall from my eyes

 

Inside memories from times that have gone by

If I could forget them it would be done

By why am I still awake on this long night

Again unable to forget you?

When the awaited beam of dawn comes

Within my room that is larger than yesterday

On my illuminated window

I write and erase – “I love you”

 

The countless stars in the night sky

Even though each is beautiful

There is one bright star within my heart

Just one – that is you

 

When the awaited beam of dawn comes

Within my room that is larger than yesterday

On my illuminated window

I write and erase – “I love you”

 

As soon as the girl started singing, all the boys began to look at her. Somehow Hongki was enchanted with the girl. He knew it was not because of the way she looked but the way she sang the song was as if she was reading what’s in his heart and saying it aloud and expressing it for him.

The crowd went wild. Yonghwa, Jonghyun, Jaejin and Minhwan even gave her a standing ovation. It was only Hongki who was stuck in his seat.

 

A/N: I know some of you might be very mad at me right now. It's just that I had another crazy idea that I would want to  do. I'm sorry to everyone who's expecting them to be together. Some might hate me because I made Shinhye seem like a very bad person here. But I also want you to know that though what they have is the greatest love, still it will hinder their dreams and they are both youth full of dreams to fulfill. I hope you understand my reason why they can't be together. But don't worry, something is going to happen that will cause a domino effect on everyone in the story. Please anticipate it.

As for the song I used in this story, I came across it when I watched the King of Kings episode of Immortal Song 2 where Hongki participated in but sadly lost to. THis is the the winning piece as sang by Kang Minkyung of Davichi and I say, she deserved the win. She was really good. Here's the like, please do check it out and you will understand what I'm talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvGvT50DkrQ&feature=related