Hongki's Lair

The LEE Family

 

“Yeobo! Yeobo! Wake up!” Jangwoo heard his wife say. Immediately he sat up and looked at his wife with concern. “Is there any problem? Are you hurting somewhere?” He asked.

“I’m hungry. Can you please get me something to eat?” Eunjung asked. Jangwoo then looked at the clock and found out that it was 1:30 am in the morning. “Sure no problem. What do you want to eat?”

Eunjung then looked away and suddenly turned shy. Jangwoo was confused. It was very seldom for his wife to act shy. Then he got worried. His wife only gets shy when she wants something out of the ordinary. So with renewed courage he said, “You can ask anything. I’ll get it for you.”

Eunjung beamed. She then smiled and hugged her husband. “Yeobo, I want to eat some mangoes. Those green ones. The unripe ones. Those that will surely taste very sour. I want that. You can get that for me right?” She said full of aegyo.

Jangwoo’s mind began to think where he can buy one at such an hour. “Do you know where I can buy that?” He asked Eunjung.

“I think they will have it one of the 24 hour grocery stores near my old apartment.” She answered.

“But that’s a good 30 minutes drive. Can you still wait that long?” He again asked.

“Yes I can. I’ve been craving that for the past 2 hours. Please Yeobo I really want to eat that.” She pleaded.

Jangwoo then stood up from the bed, took his jacket and changed his pants. He took his car keys and gave Eunjung a kiss. “I’ll be right back. You can sleep and I’ll just wake you up when I get back.”

Eunjung then hugged her husband tightly. “You’re the best husband in the world.” She said then she kissed him.

 

As Jangwoo was about to go out of the house he notice someone was in the kitchen. He checked who it was and found out that it was Jonghyun. “You’re still awake?” He asked his brother.

“Yes. I just got back from Yoona’s and I’m waiting for Hongki to arrive.”

“He’s still not home?” Jangwoo questioned.

“Nope. I checked his room and he wasn’t there. But don’t worry. He’ll be home soon.” He said not wanting his brother to worry about his twin. “By the way hyung, where are you going at this hour?”

Jangwoo smiled and said. “Your noona wants to eat some green mangoes. I’m going to buy some right now.”

“Ah okay. You do know that they’re not in season right now right?” Jonghyun asked. Jangwoo sighed and nods his head. “But I still need to look for it. Pray I found some.” Jangwoo then pats his brothers back and walked towards the door. Just then the door opened and Hongki entered.

“You just came in?” Jangwoo asked. Hongki then said, “Good evening hyung.” Then he went directly upstairs to his room. Jangwoo then looked at Jonghyun who was following Hongki, “Something’s wrong with him. Fix it. I don’t like his moods lately. He’s depressing and I don’t want any depressing thing around Eunjung right now.” Jangwoo said.

“I’m on it.” Jonghyun said. “Just go on your way and look for your mangoes. You need more luck than me.”

Jangwoo then went out of the door and Jonghyun continued to follow Hongki to his room.

 

Jonghyun knocked on Hongki door and turned the knob. Hongki wasn’t inside his room. He knew he must be in the bathroom cleaning himself for the night so he decided to lie down on Hongki’s bed and wait. Soon enough Hongki came in and he lay down beside his brother. “Not in the mood to answer any questions right now. I’m tired and I want to sleep. Let’s talk tomorrow morning.” With that Hongki turned off the lights of his lamp and turned his back to his brother.

“Shinhye kept on texting me for three hours now. She kept on asking where you are and if you have come home. She even called. I asked her if there’s a problem but she didn’t answer me. Something happened between you two and I want to know what.” Jonghyun said. He waited for Hongki to answer but to his dismay he didn’t get any answers from his brother.

He then pulled Hongki’s shoulder to face him. He stopped short when he saw Hongki’s eyes full of anger. Though Hongki’s the most mischievous person he knows his brother seldom gets angry and when he does it means bad news. “Tell me. You need to let it out or else you’d get more angrier and that won’t do us any good.” He insisted.

“Get off of me. I told you I’m tired and I want to sleep. I don’t want to talk about it right now. Maybe tomorrow I’ll tell you but not right now. Believe me you would want me to cool down first before I talk.” Hongki said with finality in his voice. Jonghyun knew he needs to let it go this time so he stood up and said, “Fine, I’ll let it go this time but tomorrow as soon as you wake up, I’ll be here and you will tell me everything.”

 

The next day everyone was gathered in the dining table having breakfast except for the twins. Jaejin then saw Jonghyun coming down the stairs and noticed that his brother was frowning so early in the morning. “Hyung is there any problem?” He asked thinking something might have happened between his brother and his bestfriend.

“Has anyone of you seen Hongki?” He asked everyone.

“Nope.” Answered IU. Jangwoo and Jaejin shook their heads. “I saw him left early this morning” Eunjung said making everyone look at her.

“Did you notice something off with him when he went out?” Jonghyun asked. IU realized that there’s worry in his voice.

“I don’t know. I just saw him from our bedroom window. But I was wondering why he would leave the house that early.” Eunjung answered.

“What time was it noona?” IUasked.

“Around 5:30. My stomach was upset so I went to the bathroom. When I was about to go back to my room I notice someone walking outside so I checked it out and it was Hongki.” Eunjung said as she continues to eat her breakfast.

“Your stomach was upset? Are you okay now?” Jangwoo asked.

“Yeah, maybe it’s just morning sickness. Don’t worry. I’m fine.” She assured her husband.

“Hyung what’s wrong with Hongki hyung?” Jaejin asked.

Jonghyun noticed that everyone’s looking at him except for Eunjung who was busy eating. “Oh it’s nothing. Don’t worry about it. It’s just that we needed to talk about something this morning and I was just looking for him.” He then sat down and immediately took some food and eat so that everyone would stop asking him questions.

 

As soon as Jonghyun stepped out of the house, “What’s wrong with Oppa and Shinhye unnie?” he heard IU ask who he didn’t notice earlier.

“What made you think that something’s wrong with Hongki and Shinhye?” Jonghyun asked his only sister.

“Oppa, I’m not a kid anymore. I too would want to know if something happened to anyone of you. I’m your sister and I care about what is happening to you guys. So tell me, I want to help.” IU said seriously.

Jonghyun then looked at his sister. He then put his arms around his sister and kissed the top of her head. “You’re right. You’re not a kid anymore.” He then gave her his dimpled smile. “But tell me first why you think what’s happening to you Hongki oppa has something to do with Shinhye.”

IU then faced his brother. “Promise me first that you will let me help you.”

“I promise.” Jonghyun told his sister.

IU looked at her brother and when she’s convinced with his promise she started, “Lately I noticed oppa’s avoiding unnie and this all started when unnie started dating that Wonbin guy. It seems my Hongki oppa finally realized that he likes Shinhye unnie and he hates the fact that she’s dating someone right now. He’s sulky lately and he’s behaving weirdly. Then last night my old oppa came back. He’s laughing again and telling jokes. Then when we were on our way home, he even asked Minhwan if he can bring me home because he wants to spend more time with unnie. Then early this morning when I was about to go to the toilet, I saw you on oppa’s room and I saw the look he gave you. He was angry but not at you and the last place he went to was unnie’s house.” IU recited. “Any more questions?” She asked her brother.

Jonghyun was amused with IU’s observation. The he heard her say, “Now it’s your turn to tell me what you know so that we can know what to do with him.”

He then started with his conversation with Hongki the day before and the incident that happened that day. IU was shocked when he said Hongki kissed Shinhye. He also told her about Shinhye and Wonbin’s phone call.

“So it’s confirmed he likes her.” IU said. “But what would’ve caused him to get angry?” She asked her brother.

“Think about it IU, when was the last time you oppa got angry at you?”

“Oppa never gets angry. He gets disappointed and act mad but he’s never really angry. Honestly, I’ve never seen him angry my entire life. You, Jangwoo oppa and Jaejin oppa gets angry, but not Hongki oppa. He’s the fun in our family. If he’s really angry then this is very serious. This will be my first time seeing him angry. How about you oppa, have you seen him angry?”

Jonghyun pondered on IU’s question.  “I’ve seen him angry. But he never gets angry with people. He gets angry with himself.”

IU then looked at her brother and both knew who Hongki was angry at. He’s angry at himself. “What did he do the last time he got angry?” IU asked voice full of concern.

“He starved himself. He didn’t talk for a week. He stopped singing. He punished himself.” Jonghyun said remembering.

“We really should look for him.” IU said.

“Yes we do but first we need to talk to Shinhye so that we will know what happened last night.”

 

When they arrived at Shinhye’s house they noticed Jaejin and Suzy outside the house talking. “Oppa!” IU called out. Jaejin then waved to his brother and sister. Suzy then bowed to Jonghyun and hugged her friend. “Why are you two here?” Jaejin asked.

“We just want to talk to Shinhye. Is she here?” Jonghyun asked Suzy.

“Yes oppa. She’s inside. Do you want me to call her?” Suzy asked.

“If it’s okay with, we’ll appreciate it.” Jonghyun said.

Suzy then excused herself but not until Jaejin gave her hand a last squeeze and a smile.

“You two have a date?” IU asked Jaejin.

“Nope. I just came here to spend some time with her before I bury myself with my books later since exams are two weeks from now. By the way, why do you need to talk to noona?” Jaejin asked his siblings. IU and Jonghyun then looked at each other. Just then Suzy and Shinhye came out.

“What brings the Lee siblings to our house this early in the morning?” Asked Shinhye.

“I’m here to see my girl.” Jaejin answered who immediately grabbed Suzy’s hand possessively making the younger girl blush. Jaejin then kissed her cheeks making her blush more making the rest laugh.

“I think I know your reason. I’m asking these other two Lee kids.” Shinhye said.

“Can we talk?” Jonghyun asked her. Shinhye heard the urgency in her friends voice and nods.

“Kids we’ll leave you two and have fun.” Shinhye told the lovebirds.

As soon as they were far enough from the two, Jonghyun began asking, “What happened last night? You kept on texting me if Hongki had arrived home safely. Did something happen?”

Shinhye then looked at Jonghyun then at IU as if asking the boy if it’s okay to talk in front of his sister and he nods so she began. “Last night when we came here, Wonbin was here waiting for me. All the time we were walking he was asking this weird “what ifs” and the weirdest one was the last question he asked.”

“And what was that question?” Asked IU.

“He asked what if he told me to break up with Wonbin because he’s in love with me and that he’s the only one that can make me happy.” Jonghyun then looked at IU who slowly looked away to hide the tears in her eyes.

“What did you tell him?” Jonghyun asked.

“I laughed of course. You know how mischievous your brother can get. As if he’ll fall in love with me. I’m the opposite kind of the girl from the ones he usually dates. He then laughed back then he went to Wonbin even when I asked him not to meet him just yet. He told him something that made Wonbin worry. Then he hugged me and left. What bothered me were his eyes. It was as if he’s mad at something. It was the first time I saw him like that. That was why I kept on texting you. I tried to remember if I did something wrong but I can’t seem to remember anything. Is he okay?” Shinhye asked after her long recitation.

When Jonghyun’s about to answer Shinhye’s phone rang. “It’s Wonbin. Excuse me.” Then she distanced herself and talk to her boyfriend on the phone.

“Are you going to tell her that he was serious when he asked that question?” IU asked her brother.

“No. It should be Hongki who should tell her and not me.” Jonghyun said.

Shinhye then joined them. “Guys, I’m sorry I can’t talk to you longer. Wonbin’s coming. He said he wants to make up for what he did yesterday. I still need to prepare. Tell me if I can help you something. I really hope Hongki’s okay.”

“One last question. Where does Hongki go when he doesn’t want to be found?” Jonghyun asked.

“Easy. You know the place in the university where they say was haunted?” She asked and Jonghyun nodded. “The truth is it was Hongki who started that rumor so that no one would go there. There’s a big possibility that he’s there.”

“Why didn’t I know this?” Jonghyun asked.

“’Coz it’s where he go when he wants to hide from you.”

 

IU gasped when they entered the room. It was so pretty. The room has big windows that overlook the whole university. Hongki made a good job making the outside of the room look creepy but once inside it was the complete opposite. It was obvious that it was Hongki’s lair. The room became a bachelor’s pad complete with a table, a small refrigerator, a stove, cooking utensils, a sofa, a guitar, cd’s and dvd’s, a small lcd screen and a bed where Hongki was lying in. IU then softly walked towards her oppa and sat on the bed.

Hongki was asleep. But IU saw that her oppa’s face looked haggard. Jonghyun then took the guitar and sat at the sofa. As soon as he began to play the guitar Hongki immediately opened his eyes and saw his siblings.

“What are you guys doing here? How did you know I’m here? Did Shinhye told you?” He asked.

“You’ve outdone yourself brother. So this is where you go when you’re missing. Can Yoona and I borrow this room from time to time?” Jonghyun asked.

“No. Go find your own lair. This is my place and you’re not suppose to be here.” Hongki told his brother.

“We’re not leaving oppa. Not until you tell us everything that is bothering you. I know about your feelings towards Shinhye unnie and don’t worry your secret’s safe with me.” IU said.

“Did you tell her?” Hongki asked his brother.

“No, he didn’t tell me anything. You’re too easy to read oppa. I put the facts together and that’s how I know.” IU answered instead of Jonghyun.

“So spill! Tell us everything that’s in that small brain of yours.” Jonghyun said putting down the guitar and stared at his brother.

Hongki  looked at his brother and sister. He knew he can’t get of that situation, not when he’s come face to face to the two most stubborn siblings in his family.

“Are you mad at Shinhye because she laughed at you when you asked her that what if thingy?” Jonghyun said making Hongki look away from him.

“No. I can never get angry at her. I was angry at myself. I was stupid. I kept on denying my feelings for her then it was too late when I finally accepted my feelings. I was stupid for treating all those girls like crap. Now the girl that I really like doesn’t believe me when I told her I love her. I am a big stupid fool. It hurts like hell when she laughed after I asked her that. But I can’t blame her. It was all my fault.” Hongki’s tears began to fall. IU who was also crying then hugged her brother. Jonghyun stood up and began to pace back and forth. It was painful for him to see his happy-go-lucky brother gets mad at himself.

Hongki too hugged IU back and began to cry like a child. All his emotions began to pour out. He and his sister cried together. After what took like an eternity of crying, the two stopped. IU then wiped the tears from her oppas eyes and Hongki did the same to her. Soon the two of them were laughing because of their silliness.

“What do you plan to do now oppa?” IU asked

“I plan to stay beside her even if I’m just a friend for her. I’d protect her from his stupid fans and from my own fans as well. I’d be the best bestfriend there is but as soon as an opportunity to tell her comes, I’ll tell her everything. I’d risk our lifetime’s worth of friendship and would do my best to make her mine.” Hongki told IU.

“I will help you with your plan. I promise you that.” IU said.

“By the way dear brother, what did you tell Wonbin last night that made him worry?” Jonghyun asked.

“I just told him that I’m in love with Shinhye and as soon as he makes another mistake, I’ll take her away from him.” Hongki smirked remembering Wonbin’s reaction.

“Oppa, I’m hungry, can you cook something for me?” Asked IU.

“Sure. I have some food here. I’ll prepare something nice for you” He told IU, “and you too.” He told his twin brother. It seems that he’s okay now, Jonghyun noted.

Unknown to them Shinhye was just outside and she saw and heard everything.

 

****************************************

A/N: Another update. I hope you guys would like this update. BTW, how's the new poster? Everyone's so pretty and handsome here. It took me a longtime to choose these photos.