In Denial No More

The LEE Family

 

“Everyone we have an announcement!” Jangwoo shouted while holding the hands of his wife.

Hongki then ran towards the two and said excitedly, “Noona, you’re really pregnant? We’re having a baby in the house soon?”

“Yah! How did you know she was pregnant?” Jangwoo asked his brother. Just then he saw Jonghyun giving Jaejin money while the latter said, “I told you.” IU then ran towards them and hugged Eunjung. “Unnie, I hope it’s a girl. This family is filled with stupid boys, it’s about time a girl will be born in this family again.” Eunjung then hugged IU and said, “I totally understand what you mean.”

“Yah! What’s with this family? Does everyone knows that my wife is pregnant?” He asked his siblings.

 “I did!” Jaejin raised his hand.

“I was suspicious. Noona was always pigging out lately.” Hongki said earning a slap from Eunjung. “I never pig out.” She said.

“Actually you do noona. I was a bit alarmed with the amount of food you’re eating lately. Hongki and I would look at you thinking where all those foods go.” Jonghyun said making Eunjung pout.

“Yah! Don’t upset my wife. It’s not good for the baby.” Jangwoo told Jonghyun.

“Can you blame me? I’m feeding two people now.” Eunjung defended herself.

“Or three.” IU said. “Remember unnie, twins run in our family. Though our twins are really weird, They don’t look alike and their heights are also very different.” She continued as she held out her tongue to Hongki.

“Yah! Lee Jieun. Don’t make fun of my height. You’re my sister remember. We both belong to the short side of our family.” Hongki said with satisfaction making everyone laugh except for his precious cute sister.

“Let’s celebrate tonight. I’ll treat everyone to dinner.” Jangwoo told everyone making everyone clap their hands and shout.

“Hyung can I bring Yoona?” Jonghyun asked. “Of course. She’s a part of this family.” Jangwoo smiled at his brother who was very pleased with his last statement.

“Can I bring my girlfriend too?” Asked Jaejin.

“Of course she’s coming. She’s my bestfriend.” IU told Jaejin.

“By the way, IU can you ask Minhwan to come too?” Eunjung said.

“Why is that punk coming?” Jangwoo asked his wife.

“’Coz everytime you’re busy with something when I need your help that sweet boy would always help me out. So I say he’s coming tonight.” Eunjung said with finality. Jangwoo knew better than to upset his wife so he just stayed silent.

“Who are you bringing tonight Hongkiya?” Eunjung asked.

“No one.” Hongki said.

“Not even your flavour of the month?” Jangwoo asked.

“Nope.” Hongki answered.

“And why is that we never meet your girlfriends?” Eunjung asked. “Are you ashamed of your family?”

“Noona, I’m very proud of this family and that’s the reason why I don’t bring them here. The girl I’d be introducing to you would be the girl I’d marry. So, no dates tonight.” Hongki explained.

“Then can you ask Shinhye to come tonight?” Eunjung then noted the change in Hongki’s face. It became somewhat disappointed with a hint of pain. Then when Hongki realized that Eunjung was looking at him, he looked away and said, “I’ll try. Lately she’s been busy with her boyfriend. I’ll message her. By the way, I’ll be going to the records store. I’ll see you guys tonight.” He then went out of the house before anyone can say anything.

“What’s wrong with him?” Jangwoo asked.

“Oppa, let’s just say, he’s in denial.” IU told her brother.

 

 

Hongki knew that something is very wrong with him. Lately he became moodier. Recently his jokes are not funny anymore. He’d find himself locked up in his room staring in the ceiling. It’s as if life became very boring to him. At practice Yonghwa would always scold him when they sing the fast songs. He kept telling him that his songs should be sang with more life. And every time they would sing their sad songs he would notice the girls will have tears in their eyes every after performance.

Just then someone put his arms around his neck. He looked and found out that it was his twin brother. “Why are you here? Don’t you have a date with your girlfriend? Because lately that’s all you do aside from school and practice.”

“Nope I don’t have a date with her this morning since we will be seeing each other tonight. Besides, I think my brother needs me more right now.” Jonghyun smiled with all his dimples to his brother.

“What do you mean by that? I can’t seem to think of anything that has a need of you.” He told his twin.

“Whatever. It’s been a long time since we had our twin time together. Come on, let’s go to that record store you said you were going to. By the way, you’re going the wrong way. Can you still honestly tell me that you don’t need me?” Jonghyun asked as he pulled Hongki to go back the other way. Hongki then smiled and said, “Fine, lead the way hyung!”

 

The twins went to eat lunch after they spend an hour on the record store looking for new releases from their favourite bands. While eating, they checked out the girls that were inside the restaurant. Hongki then realized that his brother was a hopeless romantic. Hongki had showed him numerous girls but still no one can match Yoona’s beauty according to Jonghyun. Yoona’s still the iest, prettiest and hottest girl alive as said by Jonghyun. Then a girl entered the door and it reminded them of their bestfriend. The two boys became silent. Jonghyun looked at Hongki who was staring at the girl.

“That girl is pretty. But something is still lacking. I just can’t pinpoint what.” Hongki suddenly said.

“I know.” Jonghyun said as he sipped his juice.

“And what is that?” Hongki asked still looking at the girl.

“Her name is not Park Shinhye.” Jonghyun said staring at Hongki.

Hongki then looked at his brother. They stared at each other as if reading each other. “I miss her too.” Jonghyun told Hongki. Hongki then look away and took a bite from his donut. “Whatever you’re saying.” He said.

“Don’t even try to deny it. If anyone knows you completely, it’s me. You can never lie to me so don’t even try doing it.” Jonghyun said.

Hongki then looked at his brother. “I’m not lying. I can never do that to you even if I want to. I really don’t know what you’re talking about ‘coz I too don’t know what’s happening to me lately.”

“You like her.” Jonghyun told his brother.

“I like who?”

“You know who.”

“I really don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Of course you do. But because you’re an idiot, you keep on denying it to yourself that you finally found the girl that you really like. I didn’t know how it happened since she’s like our own sister and our bestfriend and since you two fight all the time.” Jonghyun explained.

“I still don’t know what you’re talking about.” Hongki insisted.

“Okay let me make it simple. You, Lee Hongki my twin brother likes our bestfriend, Park Shinhye.” Hongki then looked at him as if he lost his mind.”

“Don’t look at me like that. I know what I’m talking about. Would like me to explain?” Jonghyun asked his brother.

“Okay fine, I’ll indulge you. Say your stupid theory.” Hongki said.

“Then I shall begin my analysis. Have you ever told a girlfriend all your secrets?”

“No.”

“Why?”

“Why should I? I never found a girl worthy of my secrets.”

“Then who’s the first person you think about when you want to tell something important.”

“You.”

“Let me rephrase that. Who’s the first girl you think about to share those significant and non-significant instances of your stupid life?”

Hongki thought about it. Then he looked at his brother. “Of course I’ll think about Shinhye, she’s my bestfriend. We share everything. There’s nothing we hide from each other. I’ve even seen her .”

Jonghyun’s eyes almost popped out when he heard Hongki’s last statement. “Yah! Get rid of that ugly thought from head right now. Even you have seen her when we were kids!” Hongki said and Jonghyun immediately understood.

“Have you ever thought of sharing those secrets with IU our sister?” Jonghyun asked.

“Of course not. She’s our sister for crying out loud. Honestly, do you want me to tell IU everything?” Hongki asked his brother.

“Of course not unless you’re that sick. But that’s the point. You can tell Shinhye anything. Even the worst thing you did, you tell her everything. Heck, you tell her more than you tell me. Some of the things you do I only got to know because she tells me. True, she’s also my bestfriend but the truth is you two are closer.” Jonghyun explained.

“Still, she’s just a friend. That’s what friends do.” Hongki insisted.

“Okay fine I admit you’re right about that. But let me ask you something, why is it that since Shinhye had a boyfriend you became moodier and you sulk more?” Jonghyun asked.

“I don’t sulk.”

“Oh yeah you do.”

“I do not.”

“Yes you do and all of us can prove it. Though you’re a very good singer lately, your sad songs are more effective now that ever. It’s as if you’re telling your  very own story.”

“But that’s what singers should do. To relate with the story. You and Jaejin are not the only genius in our family you know.” Hongki boasted.

“Stupid Hongki! Why can’t you just realize it that you like Shinhye?”

“Of course I like her she’s my friend. Admit defeat. You know I’m right.” Hongki then gave a silly smile to his twin brother.

In exasperation Jonghyun looked out of the window then he saw something. A smile crept to his handsome face. “Hongkiya look outside.” Hongki who still has a silly smile on his face suddenly frowned at what Jonghyun showed him. “I think I’m still right and you’re still denying it.”

Hongki saw Shinhye and a disguised Wonbin walking on the other side of the street. It was obvious that they were having a good time. Hongki then looked away and continued to drink his juice.

“So, are admitting defeat?” Jonghyun asked.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Hongki said.

“You like her. It hurts to see her with someone else. You started your weird behaviour when Shinhye started dating Wonbin. Even though she told you you’re the better singer still it’s not enough. You want her by your side and you don’t want her to be with other boys. That’s what you call possessiveness.”

“I admit I’m sad. Of course I’ll be sad. I can’t just talk to her like before without thinking if it will okay with her boyfriend.”

“But nothing changed between me and Shinhye. We’re still the same. Wonbin doesn’t seem to mind.” Jonghyun said observing his brother.

“You said yourself that we’re closer than you guys are.”

“Be honest, what do you feel about their relationship.”

“I feel it’s not fair. Even though I had girlfriends, I never changed my attitude towards her. She’s still more important than them. But it was different when she had a boyfriend. She spent lesser time with me. When I want to talk most of the times she’s with him and I’ll just back away.”

“But you did that yourself. She’s still the same. You’re the one who changed.”

“I just don’t want to cause a misunderstanding between them.”

“Did she ask you to do that?”

“No.”

“Do you miss her?”

“Of course I do.”

“Aren’t you happy that she found a good guy to be her boyfriend?”

Hongki then turned silent. He can’t seem to answer that simple question. He knows he should be happy but he knows he hates it very much. Then finally he stopped denying.

“Answer my question.” Jonghyun ordered. Hongki then looked at his brother. “No.”

“Why?”

“Cause even if he’s a good guy, I am the only person that can make her really happy. She’s mine. He can’t have her.”

“At last dear brother you accepted the truth.”

“But what should I do? Even if I know I’m better for her, she’s still happy right now.”

“You can wait for them to break up.”

“Or I can just break them up.”

“And ruin your friendship with Wonbin? Plus you can’t be sure she’d come running to your arms if ever they break up. She too like you is in denial.”

“Then I’ll take your advise. I’ll wait for them to break up.”

“Another suggestion dear brother, can you please clean up your act while waiting for her? Stop having flavour of the months.  It’s something you can do to appear more sincere when the day finally comes.”

“Yes sir! Lee Jonghyun sir!”

Just then a commotion happened just outside the restaurant. The twins looked out and Hongki suddenly ran outside with Jonghyun close behind him.

On the other side of the street, fans of Blue Island recognized Wonbin and began shouting at Shinhye. Saying she’s a flirt, that she doesn’t deserve Wonbin, that Wonbin belongs to the fans.

“Oppa! Tell us is this girl your girlfriend?” One of the girls asked.

Hongki and Jonghyun waited for Wonbin to answer but the boy kept silent. Shinhye too looked at Wonbin waiting for him to answer then the fan suddenly said. “See! His silence means she’s not. She’s just throwing herself at him.” When the fan was about to attack Shinhye, Hongki suddenly out of nowhere appeared and kissed Shinhye full on the lips. When Shinhye’s about break away Hongki whispered, “Try to act as if you like what I’m doing. I’m saving your and your boyfriend’s career.” Shinhye then closed her eyes and wonder of all wonders, she can’t help but admit that Hongki’s a good kisser. Soon she and Hongki were lost in their kiss.”

Jonghyun was shocked with his brother’s impulsiveness but immediately controlled himself and stood beside Wonbin. “Just go with it. You’re new in the business. These fans are very possessive. You wouldn’t want them to attack Shinhye now would you?” Jonghyun gave a sigh of relief when he knew Wonbin got control of his anger.

And after what seems like forever, Hongki reluctantly ended the kiss. He then stared Shinhye’s eyes and gave her his 1000 kilo watt smile. Shinhye thought her friend is a really good actor for he could’ve fooled her that he’s in love with her. Hongki then looked at Wonbin and said, “Thank you for keeping my girlfriend busy.” He then turned to the fans. “I’m sorry for the confusion, but she’s mine.” He then bowed to Wonbin and everyone else and pulled Shinhye away from everyone.

 

***************************

A/N: I'm sorry for the delay is all I can say. I know some had unsubscribed to the story but thank you to all who remained and waited. Hope you will like this update. It's Hongki's time to shine!!!