-06

Take My Breath Away

Chapter Six
"You think just because you're so damn popular, you can do whatever the hell you want?"

27th of January 2014


 

"Are you sure he knows it's you?" Minseok puffed up his cheeks, earning a slight glare from the girl opposite him. He gulped hard and nodded in defeat, "I guess he does..." Minseok let his voice trail off when he caught a glimpse of who entered the cafeteria. Panic filled him as he paled, "H-Hee Young, you might want to leave now." The girl opposite him looked over her shoulder only to take note that the guy she has been avoiding for days now had spotted her.

Damn it. He's everywhere, isn't he? She thought.

Ever since that very night that he had interrupted her dance session, she hasn't been going to the dance practice room. Because if she did, she would only spot Kai waiting there outside every night without fail - in hopes she'd come back. With that, she didn't return there anymore for a short period of time. Everywhere she went, he would be there. Wherever she would go, he would follow - it was almost impossible to avoid him.

Even the classes that they shared together, he wouldn't have the chance to go after her as their sitting positions in the hall was different. By the time the bell rang, he would try to go after her, pacing as fast as he could but he would always fail - she was always faster but seems like today she had cut some slack on avoiding him - it was simply tiring for her.

As she slammed down her cup, she crushed the empty plastic before she kicked her chair back gently just to leave Minseok on his own with a small goodbye as she tossed the crushed plastic cup into the trash can. Her feet brought her out of the cafeteria on the other end and Kai was fast enough to exit through the door he entered, walking around the cafeteria just to make sure he'd come face to face with her once he made a left turn.

He was dead right the moment he made a sharp left turn, he came face to face with her, who rolled her eyes when they met gazes. She spun back around, groaning as she tugged on her hoodie as she walked towards the library with him tracing behind her to keep up with her pace.

Now it all makes sense on how she can keep her breathing pace stable along with her body balance.

She is obviously a dancer but being the stubborn bull he was, he wanted confirmation from her.

She's a dancer that he's never seen before - it boggled his mind for days and he expected some answers now.

He's done with sitting patiently by the dance practice room she never showed up at anymore. He's done with allowing her to slip past his fingers every single time he caught a glimpse of her and the next second she'd be gone. He's done with all the little mind games she had set him on and he hates that she has him wrapped around her finger even though he knows that would be the last thing she would want.

He wants some answers here and now before he goes insane. 

All because of her.

"You owe me a few answers." He whispered lowly when he pinned her body harshly against the wall, beside the library door. Thankfully, there wasn't anyone here considering they were all in the cafeteria but Hee Young doesn't plan to wait until everyone comes out to see what a show Kai was trying to put on. Attention was something she was avoiding for years now - she isn't going to let it fall back on her shoulders again. "I don't owe you anything." She snarled, shoving his hands off before she entered the library, purposely slamming the door back in hopes it'll smack him in the face but he held a palm up to let a loud thud to be heard as he had stopped the slamming door she had gifted him with. He scoffed, "You little..." He had kept his voice down as he realized they were in a library.

He entered and closed the door before he chased after her when she was currently in between the rows of the bookshelves as he followed behind her. "Are you going to keep avoiding me?" He questioned quietly, well aware there are people staring but she could only care less. He had made sure that she could sense he was being stern even though his voice was soft.

Still, she didn't ask to be followed in the first place.

"Do you have a problem with that?" She questioned, eyes scanning past the books quick as she made a U-turn to walk through another rows of books. He shook his head, still trailing behind her close but maintaining the gap between. "And what if I do?" His voice was challenging and it echoed into her ears as she spun around, making his face come close - so close that he could analyze her features but it was blocked for a moment when her hand shot up to pull out a book to come in between their faces.

The title of the book was her response to him as the hard covered book had a black background with bright red words written,

'Deal with it'.

He simply sneered at her smart respond when she shoved the book back in. She gave him sardonic smile before she let it fall, turning back on her heels where she briefly looked through the books until she would find the section she was looking for. He too, followed behind her still, irking her even more until she hissed when she reached the section she wanted but the moment her feet had stopped moving, a hand up to reach for a book, his hand snatched for hers roughly, earning a piercing glare from her when she swore that she could tell he was done with being polite.

"Let me go." She gritted through her teeth, fist clenching and he could tell she was going to give him a nice beating if she wanted to. "Again," He breathed out sarcastically, "What if I say 'no'?"

"You-!"

"Just shut up and follow me." He deadpanned, a hand tugging her away from the shelf as he dragged her across the library, towards the study room with a few pair of eyes on them. Kai ignored the stares he got but Hee Young on the other hand, never stopped trying to break free as she grunted, pulling herself back away from Kai as much as she could but Kai was much stronger - he's a guy for God's sakes. He smirked inwardly when he could feel her wrist twisting and turning in his grip.

It's useless, Hee Young. He thought, not letting it slip past his lips when he yanked her in the moment he kicked the door open. He shoved her in relentlessly, swiftly turning around to lock the doors before he spun back around to meet with her cold gaze - he got used to it to be afraid of it.

"What do you want?" She was this close to biting his head off but first, she would rather listen to what he had to say. She could've easily knee him in the crotch again and escape but yet, she chose to stay and listen. Listen even though she know it wasn't what she wanted to do. "Answers, Hee Young." Kai answered shortly, lunging forward where he gripped onto her shoulders to dip down where he leveled their eyes together, staring into her dark orbs that had secrets hidden behind.

Secrets he'd want to find out.

And even if he would die finding out, he knew it would be the only thing he'd want. God knows what happened to Kai, or how much she effected him but she did. She filled every corner of his mind starting with her sardonic remarks, cocky and annoyed expressions she'd give him whenever she met gazes with him, that little one sided smirk she'd give whenever he knew she found his jokes in class funny - just her in general. Lay questioned whether he has feelings for her and Kai, being Kai, answered with a straight, upfront 'no'.

Guess everyone is not what they seem.

"You think just because you're so damn popular, you can do whatever the hell you want?" She snapped at him with an icy cold glare - one so cold that it was capable of freezing him but in this case, he did not waver at all as he remained firm. This time, he tried bringing his tone down, changing his pitch and the way he spoke to make sure he wouldn't come off as cocky or as arrogant as he usually would. This, however, made her start to think.

What was really going on?

"I need to know who you are." His voice was suddenly so soft, so hushed and fragile as he stared down on her, pinning her with his strong gaze that started to break when he showed how vulnerable he really was. It showed her a side of him that she had once witnessed, one that she had once observe before but now... now she didn't want to go through it anymore.

He's still the same... Her heart reminded her and as much as she didn't want to, she shoved him off with everything she had, breaking the gaze they were holding on when her head turned to the side. There was no way she was going down that road again. "You don't need to know." Her voice was much quieter now, but it didn't hold back any of her intentions as he looked at her confusedly, eyebrows furrowed as he took a step forward.

"Why?"

A simple syllable echoed in her ears, making her gulp as she shook her head with a silent message.

You don't need to know and it's best you didn't.

Her lips parted, urging herself to just spit out whatever she had or whatever she had in mind that she would want to say but she couldn't. It brought Kai's hopes rise and fall like that in a few seconds. Something still held her back tight and she resisted the urge not to say anything - not when he has no idea and just because he's going around, following her like a lost puppy, she's not going to let things go his way as to tell him. "Kwan Hee Young," He resorted in going the harsh way again, letting his voice drop an octave as he made her face him with two fingers tilting her face back to his where they locked gazes again.

However, there was this slight change in the look in her eyes. Something mixed with despair and pain - was she hurting?

He didn't know and he didn't have a clue but all he could do was stare. The questions and the interrogation he had planned out in his mind that force some answers, to get some information out of her had vanished. He just wanted to polish and restore the spark in her eyes that he knew was evident in them. It was just trapped deep down in the darkness hidden behind her eyes. His gaze softened as he swallowed hard, failing to regain conscious of himself and his surroundings when she had brushed past him, unlocking the door on her own before she closed it behind her to hurriedly leave - leaving him dumbfounded as he stood there.

He closed his eyes shut, trying his very best to remember where he had seen those pair of eyes, how or when has he felt like this before, how was it possible for him to let all his anger and frustrations fade away in a split second but nothing ever came. Not a single thought, not a single memory came to mind and it was utterly brain cracking. He let out an agitated cry, raking hands through his hair as he kicked the table beside him before he fell down onto the ground, his back leaning against the bookshelf behind him.

He was going to go nowhere with this method.

Clearly, forcing the answers out of her, following her everywhere and demanding her to answer would bring him nowhere - it seems like now he has to try something else.

 


 

"This is a very important decision, Hee Young-ah..." Hee Min's voice quavered, paling on the fact that her sister was now talking about quitting.

Quit studying? No.

Quit her part time job? No.

Then quit what, exactly...?

"I know it is." Hee Young tried to sound stable, but there was no lie that even she feared of how it'll really be like to cut dancing out from her life once and for all. It's been there with her ever since she would walk up until now - for years she has been dancing that it had became a part of her, it became her heart and soul.

To literally cut it all off, to cancel the private sessions she's been having and to stop coming to the dance practice room as well as returning the key back to Mr. Kang, she didn't know what effects could take place in either her mind or heart but she was ready to take the chance. Damage that she will receive physically or mentally, she was ready for it. As long as it'll leave her to have a smooth and clear sailing time in college - that was all that mattered to her.

Plus, it'll give her another reason to tell her mother not to come bug after her.

Minseok raised a hand, earning a nod from Hee Young: a silent permission to speak whatever he had in his mind without having the fear of being barked at. "Hee Young, you've been dancing ever since I met you - it is not a short period of time that you have been dancing..." Minseok's voice trailed off for a moment, taking a few seconds to rephrase his words when the girl sitting opposite him gave him a look - a look that meant that if he didn't cut to the chase, she would result to kick his leg underneath the table even though they were in public; to be exact, it was in the same restaurant they ate a week or two ago.

"It's not going to be easy giving up what you love all your life." Minseok stated meekly even though he knew what he was talking about considering he knows what it feels like to be loving something for years now and that, he had earned an agreement from Hee Young's sister who nodded once, "I second Minseok's comment. It's not going to be as easy as you think."

Hee Young exhaled heavily, allowing them to sense what a big decision this truly is but if it was for the sake of cutting all her problems, if it could really make Kai stop coming after her, to stop bugging her and to add another reason to why her mother wouldn't come after her to urge her to stop dancing... why not?

This was like a golden opportunity to cut off all problems but at the same time, it could strive a huge spear to poach through her heart - it was rather risky at the same time as if this was a game of Russian Roulette. Hee Young put her chopsticks down, rubbing her face in her hands tiredly, "I don't know what to do anymore..." Her voice cracked in the middle as she remained like that for a moment while Hee Min whispered something to Minseok, "You don't think that Kai might have talked to her, do you?"

Minseok raised an eyebrow and shrugged as he eyed Hee Young, "All I know is that he's been searching high and low nonstop. He doesn't stop at nothing until he gets what he wants and it seems that he is very interested in..." Minseok lifted a hand to point at the girl who was obliviously not noticing that Minseok was pointing at her. Hee Min pushed his hand down onto his lap, making him grin sheepishly but Hee Min frowned, "Hee Young-ah, you don't have to give up on dancing just because of Kai."

Hee Young gulped, freezing on the spot with her hands framing her face. She shook her head quietly, "I'm not quitting because of him..."

Hee Min scoffed, knowing her sister inside out. "Oh really? Then why do you want to quit?"

Hee Young shot up from the table, hands prying away from her face to look down on her sister. She will once again, use an excuse that will make her win things her way, "Because I hate being reminded of Young Jae every single time I dance. To see his face every single time that song comes up, to practice the routine he's been begging me to show him that he never got to see on the big stage - I hate it. I hate it to death."

The older one by the table, had no words left to say. She gulped in guilt, knowing that even though Hee Young was using Young Jae as a scapegoat to cover up the jackpot Hee Min had hit, there was no lying that Young Jae contributed to the reasons why she has been wanting to quit.

Even with that... Young Jae was also the reason why she continued.

It could either break her apart or boost her up. This time, she chose to let it break her apart as Hee Young felt guilty. Hee Min stood up weakly, a hand placed on Hee Young's shoulder despite the fact they were slightly away from one another with the table being their barrier. "H-Hee Young... it wasn't your fault."

"Yeah, I know." Hee Young's voice was monotonous and empty as she didn't mean her words. She knew that she had to say that she knows or else her sister and Minseok will go on with telling her that it wasn't her fault. That it wasn't her fault that her younger brother died when really, it wasn't her fault at all but considering she was the last person Young Jae got to see, the last person he got to talk to before he exhaled his final breath - she had made everything her fault.

Hee Young lifted her chin, making eye contact with her sister before she gently pushed her sister's hand away. "I've made my decision, unnie." Hee Young proceeded to take a step back, giving them a rare small smile before she requested, "And I hope that you two will stay by me no matter what decision I make." The two who were listening, didn't even know what to say because, what could they say? They knew that nothing could make her change her mind, nothing could possibly make her do otherwise unless that one person, was Kai.

And as much as she didn't want to admit it, Hee Young knew that.

 


 

Two knocks could be heard on the brown, wooden door. A small whisper of 'come in' had rang in her ears as she twisted the door knob open, taking a step in before she pushed the door behind, leaving a small gap before she bowed respectfully at the man in the middle of the room who was in a perfect split.

"You're surprisingly early today." He commented with a laugh, looking at her through the mirror that made her smile a little - he had reminded her of her father and that, was a very deep connection to her. With a small nod from her and a quiet atmosphere surrounding them, he had gotten up from his split, grunting a little as he walked forward to stop in front of her with a silly grin, "Don't just stand there. Stretch - we're doing a little bit of flips and turns today based on the track I've mashed up earlier this afternoon along with a few students."

The man his heels, walking back to the center of the dark dance practice room where he had gotten in position to start stretching. He stood with his feet slightly apart from one another, eyes looking at the mirror in front of him where he easily let his eyes wander elsewhere, turning his head to meet with Hee Young's gaze - he knew something was wrong.

"Hee Young?"

The girl could only shake her head with her hands playing with one another behind her back - she didn't know how to put it into words, but she had to. To get this over with now and fast would be nice but it would not be easy. "I... I have something to say."

Mr. Kang gave a silly smile, turning to make his body face hers with a gap between them as his arms crossed in front of his chest, "I'm listening." He assured her, making it even harder for her to say the words in her mind. This was all harder than she thought it would be. Getting rid of one of the things that she loved was the most nerve wrecking decision she has ever encountered to make but thinking back on how terrifying the stares she got, how quiet the atmosphere was when she made the mistake, how heart pounding that moment was when she couldn't save the person she had loved - it all came crashing down on her that it made her spit out four simple, yet painful words.

"I want to quit."

The man in the room that noticed how hard it took for her to say that, could only laugh cheekily, taking this as a whole joke as he uncrossed his arms with an evident smile, "You're joking."

How she wish she was.

"I'm not." Hee Young's voice was much more firm now as she stood up straight, her eyes locked with his as she could see that slowly, his eyes were blazing with strong protest as he let his voice drop an octave, "You're not?"

Not being intimidated, she shook her head. "I'm not joking."

The seriousness in the room was increased by tenfold as he noticed that her eyes kept a strong gaze, not backing down from her words, not laughing a little like how she would whenever she joked around with him playfully. Her feet had no intentions of moving towards him to assure him that she was merely playing around. It was all dead serious and no joke as they stared at each other like that, as a teacher and a student.

A teacher that was desperate to keep his golden star and the student who can't bear to stop learning.

"You mean to tell me that you're willing to throw away the only thing you actually love doing in life?" Mr. Kang spat the words out in disbelief, earning a brave nod from her. "If it'll get rid of all my problems on my shoulders, if it'll make my college life easier before I leave this dump," He swore that he saw a tinge of determination to quit in her eyes, "Yes." 

He had his lips parted in partial shock, eyebrows furrowing as he shook his head, "You can't possibly do it. Not you too." His voice was soft as he was suddenly afraid. Already he had lost one of his best dancers in this place. Already he had lost Kai, now he was going to lose Hee Young as well?

There was no way he was going to let that happen.

No way at all.

Hee Young is way too precious just like Kai but he chose and made his decisions too rashly. He made it based on his feelings at the moment and slowly, he got used to it, which is why he ended up like how he was today; monotonous and empty as he lived each day treating as if dancing meant nothing to him when deep down inside his heart, the passionate dancer that was once so loving about the one thing he appreciated in life was still there.

He just needed someone to show him the reason why he loved dancing in the first place.

He needed to be reminded why.

Mr. Kang didn't want Hee Young to make the same decision Kai had made. Not when she had passed through the heart breaking phase way earlier than Kai did.

"I can, Mr. Kang." She sounded so sure and so positive that things will be alright even though inside her at this second, she was breaking to pieces. Those words that she had said and this very moment were the two things she'd never thought would happen but it was all happening now.

"Hee Young, you're one of the best students I have, I will not allow you to stop." His voice was stern as he moved around her, standing in front of the door where he had successfully blocked her way out of the room. She let out a soft groan, her head falling back where her eyes rolled at the older one in the room when she turned around to frown at him, she knew that if she stayed around any longer, things will not go her way. Giving her no chance to continue with her reasoning, the man decided to persuade her the way he wanted to. "You know deep down in your heart that you love dancing more than anything. It's not just your passion, Hee Young." His hands reached up to grab her shoulders, giving her a faint shake where her head fell forward, opening her eyes to meet with his stare that made her stay still as to look back at him.

"It's your life." He breathed out quietly, hoping that he could've successfully talk her out of quitting but it seems like things went downhill and it all started to spark up when a voice spoke at the door.

"So you're a dancer," That heart racing moment had arrived when the two of them looked at the door in slight fear, the door creaked open, revealing a silhouette in which the face was not visible until the person had stepped into the room, joining them silently.

 

It was Kai.