-04

Take My Breath Away

Chapter Four
"There's no one like her."

27th of December 2013


 

Just as Hee Young walked into the building again, a voice called her out from the back. "Hey! Wait up!" She grunted quietly, totally hating the fact she thought she could 'walk slowly on her own pace' but looks like that was the wrong decision to do so when Kai had already finished running the other half of his lap and now here he was, catching up with her as he jogged behind her. She tried to quicken her pace but she abruptly stopped when he had placed a hand on her shoulder, "Hey," He breathed out tiredly, "I told you to wait."

She simply shoved his hand away as she bored her eyes into his. He gulped and his lips nervously - it's still his habit of doing that, huh? She thought as she rolled her eyes at him, "I didn't say I'd wait." She mumbled quietly as she her heels to continue walking. Sneering at her, he walked beside her with an obvious gap between them. The last thing he wanted was for her to completely snap at him for no obvious reason but she has more than just one reason to do so - it was all his fault anyway.

That is, if he even remembers anything.

Which she highly doubt that, considering he can't even remember her.

"So... Hee Young, am I right?"

She decided to not be rude and reply him with a decent "What?"

It somehow brought a smile to his face as he walked beside her, questioning her, "How come I never see you around?"

She shook her head as they made a right turn on the hallway, just how dense is he going to be? Never seen her? Please, she's been all over the place considering she's one of the photographers here. She's been taking photos of all the events including the dance events. She's definitely seen him but he didn't see her? Man, he's even more blind that she thought. Scoffing, she put her hands into her pockets, "I was around, you just never put in effort to look around."

He scowled at her reply, but let it fade away when they came to a stop when Minseok was right ahead of them down the empty hall. "Hey, you!" Minseok pointed at Hee Young, obviously as he jogged up towards them and she hissed, clenching her fist as she went towards him with Kai foolishly following behind them. Minseok was halted the moment Hee Young was in front of him by his shoulders. "I told you not to jog - I won't be responsible for bringing you to the nurse again."

He grinned at her cheekily before he nodded once, "Yes ma'am." Hee Young took a step back, taking off her pass as she shoved it into Minseok's hands. "Don't be late again - I'm not doing this anymore. It's tiring." With that, she her heels and made sure she bumped arms against Kai's before she was the first one to make her way back to the hall. 

"I don't see what you see in her." Kai mumbled, taking off his pass to put it in Minseok's hands who accepted it without a complaint. "She's not so bad once you know her." Minseok smiled sheepishly, "Plus, she did help me and it's probably my fault for coming late."

Kai narrowed his eyes at the latter, "You like her that much?"

Snickering, Minseok shook his head, "I love her." Kai could sense the amount of pain in Minseok's voice - the cautiousness he had as he said those words. Then again, love her in what sense? "Have you confessed?" Kai was rather interested as he put his hands into his pocket, before signalling Minseok that they should walk and they followed Hee Young's trail as they too, made their way to the hall. "I can't, Kai. It's not that simple..."

The fear of losing her, the fear of what she would think, everything!

It was just so complicated.

Before Minseok could confess, a million of thoughts had ran through his mind. What if she doesn't like him back? What if things got awkward between them? What if she doesn't want to see him again and she'll never stand by his side like how she usually would? Where would he go from there? He managed to get this far with her help in photography, she stood up for him whenever someone put him down and she even saved his life by bringing him to the nurse when he nearly couldn't breathe.

She was indeed his lifesaver and he couldn't risk that.

It was all too horrifying to imagine.

And with that, Minseok had learnt to just keep it a secret. Well, not anymore to Kai, considering of how he just blabbered it all out without a thought but that was just who Minseok was. He'd let everyone know he's in love except for the one he's in love with - somewhat stupid, but somewhat smart.

Alright, it's just plain stupid.

"I can't lose her." Minseok ended up shaking his head as he chuckled at himself, "I'm patethic, huh?" Kai shook his head out of instinct, patting Minseok's back. "I'm sure there's other girls, Minseok."

Minseok nearly choked on his saliva that he coughed, causing Kai to pat his back as they were a few steps towards the doors of the hall they were supposed to enter. Minseok thanked Kai softly with a pat he gave on Kai's shoulder out of appreciation as he moved his hand to place it on the door knob, "Kai, you're wrong."

Kai tilted his head in confusion, looking down on Minseok who had said those three words. Wrong...? Kai widened his eyes a little as he wanted to ask but he knew Minseok would already tell him the clarification of what he was continuing from. "About the part where you said there are other girls," Minseok found himself receiving a pang in the heart, "You're wrong." His eyes flickered up to meet with Kai's and for some reason, Kai could see the amount of sadness glazing over his eyes but he couldn't say anything about it. "There's no one like her."

After bravely saying those words, he had twisted the door knob open to enter with Kai coming to his senses a few seconds after to enter.

 


 

The moment the session came to an end, Mrs. Chan simply smirked at everyone before she went to the board, clearly writing something that all the students would irk to see and they were downright right.

'Finish pages 89-91, place them on my table tomorrow morning'

She closed her marker before she place it down on the metal holder on the board, spinning around to retrieve her things on the table before she smirked at the students one last time, "Have a great day." And with that, she had made her leave with students cursing behind her back with an attempt to throw a paper ball at her but even with that they held it back - afraid she would eat them alive and good call they didn't, because the prinicipal had entered right after that.

Everyone held their breath the moment they realized the principal was by the door but it wasn't a bad thing - it was a good one.

The principal of their school was practically one of the best lecturers here. So if you managed to bag one of his classes, consider yourself lucky until the end of the year. "Silence, please." His humble voice spoke, earning him a silent hall in an instant. He let his lips twitch upwards as he pointed his finger at all the students before stopping at one, Hee Young.

"You, my office, now."

Hee Young practically sent daggers towards him before he chuckled to release the heavy atmosphere, "Take your time, there's no rush." After he had said that, the principal left - leaving with a few people to stare at Hee Young weirdly, wondering what she could've done wrong until the principal had to personally call her out like this because although she was cold, maybe rude sometimes (all the time actually), she was never the one to cause trouble.

Scratch that, she was the one to prevent trouble sometimes (especially for the newbies who get bullied easily).

"What did you do?" Minseok asked as he hurriedly ran down from where he was sitting, down to stand in front of Hee Young's table. She sighed and shook her head, "Don't ask me, I don't know either."

Minseok bit his lower lip, "Does Hee Min know?"

Hee Young smirked in amusement, "Do you think she does?" When she didn't hear a reply, she looked at Minseok who was now accompanied by Kai. "Someone's a rebel now, huh?" Hee Young let her lips part as she tugged her bag over her shoulder, ignoring the latter as she walked around her table, heading towards the door with Minseok following her behind. Kai scoffed, rolling his eyes as he followed behind the two of them as if they were already best friends just because of the incident earlier today. When she could feel like Minseok and Kai were going to follow her, she spun around, causing them to hold their breath in the moment she came face to face with the two of them.

She stepped to the right, where she directly looked up to Kai. "Just because I helped today, doesn't make us anywhere close as friends."

Letting his ego take the best of him, Kai glared at her, "Who said I wanted us to be friends?"

"Then why are you following me?" She countered back and he gulped, biting his tongue inside his mouth before he tugged his bag over his shoulder, glancing at Minseok. "I'll catch you around." With that, Kai gave a pat on Minseok's shoulder before he brushed past Hee Young's arm as if it was a thing between them. One minute they bump into each other, the next they're conversing after all this while and now they were bickering as if they hated each other.

"You know you don't have to be like that, Hee Young..."

"Not another word, Minseok." Hee Young had a hand up before she looked at Minseok. "Getting called on is bad enough and to deal with all of this, is adding fuel to the fire. Making him hate me is the best way for me now to keep a low profile."

Minseok gulped and wanted to say something but she had already told him that she needed to go, not letting him say his part as she left. "What if he ends up coming for you even more...?" Minseok mumbled softly, realizing he had an arm extended to hold onto her but she was gone. Because truthfully, she had already thought of that, but she was ready to take her chances.

There was no way, she would let Kai figure out she was who she was.

 


 

"You're surprisingly earlier than usual." The principal spoke up as she entered the office without a knock. Hee Young snarled inwardly, wanting to just rip his head off even though he was labeled as one of the nicest lecturers - not to her, because...

"Cut her some slack, Dong Min." Another woman's voice spoke up as she entered behind Hee Young, bringing Hee Young the chills as she backed away from the door to look at both the principal and... this woman.

"What are you doing here?" Hee Young's voice was so cold, she wished it was cold enough to freeze the two of them but she knows it would never happen. "It's been ages since I've seen you, Hee Young dear."

Hee Young swear upon her life that she'd rather cut her ears off than hear this pack of bull being thrown at her. Dear? Ages? 

Seriously?

Is she seven or eight or something?

"If there is nothing important that concerns me, I will take my leave." With that being said, Hee Young brushed past the woman's arm as she made her way out of the office. Just as she took a step out the door, "We're engaged, Hee Young-ah."

Hee Young froze on the spot, eyes widening in partial shock. It was bad enough she knew they were dating, now getting engaged? Why the hell did they choose to tell her anyway?

Clenching her fist, Hee Young looked over her shoulder to glare at the two of them.

"Do whatever you want, it doesn't concern me."

"It does," The woman spoke up as she turned around, to an eyebrow at Hee Young. "When you're my daughter."

"Maybe we should all sit down and talk-" Even the principal, was cut off when Hee Young shook her head, fist punching against the wooden door beside her, obviously letting a loud bang to be heard that shut the two up completely. Elderly or not, they meant nothing to her.

Nothing at all.

"Who is my mother?" Hee Young asked in amusement, sardonically, to be exact as she continued to let her glare pierce through them - she had always carried the same aura as her father, and the two knew that. "If you were my mother, you'd understand but you're not. He's just my principal, no one else. If you're hoping I'd call him 'father' after you two get married, I'd rather not. Don't even try to find me again, especially not Hee Min either."

After saying her point, she had left, leaving the two elderly in the room to sigh as they knew it would take a lot to convince Hee Young. Even though they knew it was pointless.