-25

Take My Breath Away

 Chapter Twenty-Five

"The one whom started dancing since she was four. That fire is back."
26th of January 2015

 

“Woah, why do you look so red?” Mr. Kang asked in minor shock as he sat down nearby the door. Kai stormed in and hurriedly took off his jacket, tossing it somewhere across the room before walking around in circles. He was downing a whole bottle of cold water and all Hee Young could do was hold back a laugh as she closed the door behind her of one of the private dance practice rooms that she, Kai and Mr. Kang had the key to. She shrugged and put her bag down, placing it beside Kai’s as he definitely looked like he needed help.

Mr. Kang could only look at Kai as he huff in and out heavy breaths, finding it hard to even breathe as he glanced at Mr. Kang who looked so clueless. Kai used his head to violently point at Hee Young, “Ask her.” And in the next second, he was back to downing the whole bottle of cold water he hurriedly bought from the convenient store nearby.

Mr. Kang looked at Hee Young who crouched down in front of him with a grin, “I may have ordered something out of his league to eat.”

The man snorted when Hee Young sat down with that look of hers – she seemed happy, for once.

“Which is?”

“I think it was the spicy curry noodles?”

Mr. Kang found it odd – he had eaten that before and it wasn’t that spicy-

“With bird’s eye chili for extra flavor.”

Mr. Kang snorted, lightly flicking her forehead, “You’re horrible.”

Hee Young shrugged, “As so I’ve been told.”

Mr. Kang then quickly changed topics, leaning back against the wall with a question, “Hey, I texted you asking where the two of you were. Need I ask why I didn’t get a reply?”

She pointed over her shoulder with her thumb, “Guess who took my phone?”

Mr. Kang couldn’t help but just burst out into a small laugh, “The two of you are unpredictable.”

Before Hee Young could reply, the vicious opening of the door and the hard slamming of it had interrupted her. Mr. Kang glanced to the door and then back at her, “Should we even wonder?”

She shook her head with a disapproval look, “I bet he either just needs more water or he needs to release it.”

In the midst of the silence, Hee Young had decided to get up and stretch. Kai may be full from all the water now but she could tell her food had digested not too long ago. She moved around in the room, randomly recalling some moves she had practiced once in a while whenever she danced freestyle. Whether it was just popping, locking or slight ballet influence in her dance moves – it looked effortless.

Mr. Kang stood up from the floor and whistled, catching her attention. She halted her movement and turned her head, meeting with his eyes. His smile was rather unreadable but once he said, “That girl is back.” She could somehow tell where he was going.

“What girl?”

He smiled and pointed at the only girl in the room, “The one whom started dancing since she was four. That fire is back.”

Hee Young glanced down on her bracelet and shook her head, looking up to give Mr. Kang a decent smile, “It was never gone in the first place.”

 

 


 

 

 

“How are the two of you so in sync?” Kai asked out loud, sitting down by the side after he had returned from both the convenient store (after purchasing another bottle of cold water) along with a trip to the toilet. Mr. Kang snorted, sensing the sudden attention given in Kai’s voice. The latter looked over his shoulder to lock gazes with the younger guy, smiling, “I bet it doesn’t take a lot for you to know that she was one of my best.”

She scoffed a bit as the familiar part came up and she followed the choreography along with it, “Bull,”

The two guys averted their attention back to her and all Kai could see was that confidence in her gaze when she said, “I still am.”

Kai tilted his head to the side, taking note of something that well… probably he’ll only do.

She’s confident when she’s alone with Mr. Kang and him but with everyone else, it’s like she freezes out of nervousness. It shouldn’t even be a problem for her if she’s one of Mr. Kang’s best, no? She seems like she could do more than anyone can imagine – and she knows she’s able to do that but clearly, something wasn’t right here.

Something was bugging her mind each time she’d step forward in public.

And as her rightful partner, whether she likes it or not, he’s going to find out.

 

 

 


 

 

“Alright, time for another trust exercise!” Mr. Kang clapped as he stood up from the floor, turning around to see Kai and Hee Young practically leaning against one another. Not that they planned it or had that in mind but clearly, they were worn out. Their shirts were drenched in their own sweat and the fact that they’ve even changed shirts once already, it meant something. Kai kicked his own leg, shaking his head and partially getting his sweat on Hee Young but she didn’t care.

She was too tired to actually give a damn.

“We’ve been dancing for five hours! Are you trying to break our legs?!”

Mr. Kang frowned and crouched in front of them, “Aw… are my two best students finding this tough?”

Hee Young lifted her hand weakly and pointed it at Mr. Kang whilst looking at Kai, “I hate it when he does this .”

Kai found it a mutual understanding, nodding his head as he gave her a high five in return, “Yeah. He belittles us like we’re five year olds or some sort of-“

“You guys are pathetic.”

It wasn’t up until a minute that the two complaining earlier had got up after minor difficulty and Kai was the first to snap, “Alright old man – what freaking exercise?”

Hee Young then raised her hand to point it at Mr. Kang again, “I’m not coming for practice tomorrow. I’ve got a test to study for.”

Kai raised a hand mindlessly, “Me as well.”

Mr. Kang nodded and then in the next, he shook his head, “Don’t kid around with me – tests are not starting until next week.”

Somehow, Mr. Kang found it hilarious when the both of them mumbled a soft, “So close…”

Mr. Kang then walked around the both of them, putting them into position as he said, “C’mon! Just one more miserable exercise and you can go eat!”

The two wished they could somehow rejoice on the thought but Mr. Kang just had to add in, “As long as you show up for class tomorrow.”

“Every damn time he tells us something good, there has to be something else that ruins it.” Kai grumbled, shaking his head as he remained facing the wall with his back greeting Hee Young.

Hee Young wanted to say something but Mr. Kang added in this, “Oh, and need I mention that you two would need to spend a lot of time together as you two would star in the final dance performance at the end of the year. Ah, it’ll possibly take up some time during your semester break.”

Hee Young let out a huff and used her knee to lightly nudge Kai’s back, “You’re jinxing everything.”

Kai laughed tiredly and glanced over his shoulder, “Not my fault I can read the future.”

“Alright kids!” Mr. Kang clapped his hands once, silencing the two bickering kids in the room before lowering his hand down. “Kai, fall back and let her catch you.”

Kai nearly choked on his saliva as he glanced back at her before looking at Mr. Kang, “She? Catch me? Do you want me to break a bone?”

“Maybe a few,” She coughed whilst spitting out a few words before she looked away as if she hadn’t said anything. Kai jabbed over his shoulder, his thumb pointing at her directly, “You see that woman? She’s not going to catch!”

Mr. Kang slapped Kai’s arm and then his expression was stern, “Fall, back.”

Kai shook his head with a groan, “You’ll pay for my medical bill anyway…”

“Yah, princess, catch me.” Kai said out loud as he faced forward, relaxing his body as the distance between the two were evident. Half of Kai told him that she would catch him because they were partners and they finally had some mutual understanding. But the other half doubted her – what if she purposely allowed him to fall and possibly he’d injure his back? Then she’d have another whole excuse to leave this class finally when he got her to join back once again.

However, it seems like he was proven wrong for even thinking too far when he closed his eyes and fell back only to expect the worse… when she had caught him perfectly in her arms. She had to exert a lot of strength considering he let it all out in falling back and she wanted to make sure he’d not hurt himself. As sarcastic, cold and ridiculous she could be – this was never one of her ideas to hurt someone.

A gasp left his parted lips when he could obviously feel her warmth radiating through him – he was in her embrace. His eyes snapped open and he looked up, only to see her looking down on him with a blank look. He didn’t know what was wrong with his body coordination but he couldn’t get up – as if he was paralyzed. She remained holding onto him, supporting his weight from the floor as she smirked at him when she could see how he doubted her, “Didn’t think I’d catch, huh?”

Kai shook his head; unable to speak at the sudden warmth he was able to feel from someone usually so cold.

However, he found his voice when she snapped at him, “Yah, get off. You’re not exactly light.”

He hastily got up and spun around, lifting a finger to point it at her face, “You actually caught me.”

She patted her arms and knees, shaking her head before she lifted her chin to look at Mr. Kang, “Are we done yet?”

Mr. Kang took a second to think but really, he didn’t need to. Instead, he was rather impressed on how the two managed to get along. It did remind him of the past and it’s… it’s rather such a shame that Kai couldn’t remember who Hee Young was.

“M-Mr. Kang…” Jongin called out as he looked around in the room he wasn’t familiar with. There were a few recognizable faces in here but there was just one that looked unfamiliar to him. It was a girl, standing by the door and Jongin took notice at the way she stared into his eyes. It urged him to say something and instead of calling out for her name, he only asked, “W-Who’s that girl over there?” He asked, sitting up on the bed as he looked at her properly. She stood there by the door, unfazed as she wasn’t too sure on what to do. She was here with Mr. Kang and he was the one who would send her home as well.

“J-Jongin, what do you mean? C-Can you tell us what you remember?”

Jongin frowned a bit and he felt the pressure building up. It was a lot for a thirteen year old boy to take in after facing an accident. The latter shook his head as he stammered, trying to recall what had happened.

“I… All I remember was going for dance practice as usual and… Noona came to fetch me from practice and the next thing I know… I’m here.”

Some people stiffened at the mention of his older sister but they solely focused on his wellbeing at the moment. However, Jongin couldn’t even finish explaining what he was going through when the door had creaked open and in the next, it was closed. He lifted his chin up to notice that girl a moment ago had disappeared and for the life of him, he couldn’t remember who she was. His lips parted to ask for her name but Mr. Kang simply wished Jongin quick recovery before the man went out to look for the girl who left without a word. Jongin had the urge to find out but it easily slipped his mind when his parents enveloped him into their embrace – trying to find the right time to break down the news to him as well; he had his problems as of now.

“H-Hee Young! Where are you going?!” Mr. Kang hissed, chasing after the girl who was running away a moment ago but now she stopped by the corridor, her hands covering her face. Mr. Kang felt devastated but at the same time he didn’t know what to do. There’s only so much pictures and explanations could do but if that doesn’t work, there’s no confirmation if Jongin could come to remember who she was. He seems to remember everything else… apart from her. It’s like she was a part of his mind that managed to escape – that managed to get erased in the accident.

“He doesn’t remember me.” She breathed out, shaking her head as she could feel Mr. Kang bending down. He placed a hand on her head and the other by her arm, “W-We can try to remind him. We’ll try day by day. We can show him pictures!”

She shook her head and sighed, “I don’t want to try.”

Mr. Kang’s shoulders fell and so did his face, “W-What do you mean you don’t want to try?”

Hee Young looked up to Mr. Kang, showing her tear filled eyes, “What if he doesn’t remember me?”

Mr. Kang sighed and moved both hands to grip onto her shoulders, shaking her out of her senses, “He’s your best friend! The both of you have been dancing ever since you both could walk – are you telling me don’t even want to try?!”

The girl simply shook her head with the tears rolling down her cheeks, closing her eyes as she breathed out a weak but firm, “No.”

“Class starts in the afternoon tomorrow. Get a lot of rest and show up on time.”

The two gave a nod and Mr. Kang was already on the way out the door when he stopped, turning around to ask with a smile, “Ah! Are the both of you rushing to anywhere?”

The two glanced at one another, before a reply left their lips.

“Yes,”

“No,”

Mr. Kang could almost laugh based on the opposite attraction between the two. Kai turned to look at Hee Young with a raised eyebrow at the mention of her answer and she did the same for him.

“If not, then would you like to join me and my wife for dinner? She cooked, can you believe that?”

Before Hee Young or Kai could answer, the creaking of the door opened and a voice spoke, “So this is how you talk behind my back, hm?”

Hee Young and Kai both bowed out of respect at the teacher showing up; Mrs. Lim.

“I was complimenting you?”

Mrs. Lim laughed, smacking her husband by the shoulder, “Nice save – at least you tried.”

Mr. Kang laughed along and the two smiled out of courtesy. Hee Young shrugged and glanced at Kai, “Whatever he says goes.”

Kai seemed flattered as he placed a hand in front of his chest, “Me? You’re giving me the authority to decide?”

She raised an elbow, threatening to hit him, “Don’t push it.”

Mrs. Lim decided for them, though, not giving either of them to decide. “How about the both of you relax for a bit first and we’ll fetch you there.”

Mrs. Lim, however, was more concerned about Hee Young. Being one out of the two teachers who truly knew about Hee Young’s condition and situation only made her care and love for Hee Young like her own. She tried to read Hee Young’s expression, smiling at her, “How about it, Hee Young?”

Kai glanced at Hee Young, noticing how she grew silent but she managed to give a nod as a response. Mrs. Lim clasped her hands in delight and grinned, “Alright! You two get going now and we’ll meet you outside.”

The two had bowed again at the parting of the couple before the two were left alone again.

 

 


 

 

 

As the two made their way down the empty halls, Kai decided to start the conversation.

“So, your parents live far from here?”

Her ears perked up upon his question and yet she chose to take a while before actually answering. She raised an eyebrow before glancing at him, noticing his stare before looking away, “What’s with that question?”

He shrugged and put his hands in his pockets, only to feel his and her phone in them; which would remind him of the conversation he had with her mother earlier on.

“Nothing. Just that, I’ve noticed Mrs. Lim’s look at you and maybe, she’s like your mother when your parents are far away?”

She let out a soft laugh, only for him to hear with a thought running through her mind; my father is long gone and way out of reach…

She swallowed and shook her head, turning her head to look at him as she said, “My mother is pretty nearby, really.”

And he just had to say, “Is that why you don’t save your mother’s number?”

She stiffened at that mention – how did he know? She stopped walking and her hand instinctively raised up, pressing it against his chest to stop him from walking, “What?”

Kai bit on his tongue, reaching up to peel her hand away, “I-I can explain,”

She turned to face him and he did the same when she looked up to him with a piercing stare, “Try me.”

He his lips nervously and reached out to pull her phone out, “Look, she called when we were having lunch-“

“And you just answer a phone call that’s not yours?”

He swallowed upon hearing how low her voice went and he backed away a bit, “H-Hey… easy with those hands…”

He saw how her hands lifted up and she started cracking her knuckles, “You fu-!” She didn’t bother finishing her sentence when he started sprinting away from her with her chasing him as they made their way towards the car Mr. Kang and Mrs. Lim were seated in. Kai shouted at the top of his lungs as the car was merely a ten minutes distance away, “Yah! I didn’t even say to her!”

“That still doesn’t give you the right to answer that call!” She shouted back, and the passersby avoided them, moving out of the way when definitely Kai kept muttering softly, “Move, move, move!”

However, as they neared the car, Kai noticed how her phone started to vibrate – an incoming call. He slowed down on his tracks, allowing her to catch up once he answered the phone, “Hello? Kai, speaking.”

Minseok’s eyes widened as he was so close to dropping his phone despite having the intention to hold it close to hear the intended person’s voice he called. He adjusted himself, straightening his back as he cleared his throat after. “K-Kai?”

“Oh,” Kai nodded, taking note of who was on the other line; he hadn’t check who was the caller, really. With Hee Young attempting to snatch her phone back, Kai was having too much fun here.

“Minseok, is that you?”

“Kai! I swear to God, you’re going to lose your fingers when I get back my phone!”

Hee Young was currently behind Kai, jumping a few times as she had her hands on his shoulders. He tried shaking her off, spinning around a few times as he managed to shake her off for a second.

“A-Ah, the both of you still practicing?”

Kai laughed too hard when Hee Young had blew her fringe away from her face and the way she had smacked him on his shoulder made it seem like she wasn’t even trying. “N-Not really but hey, we really have to go!”

“You little er!” Hee Young cursed, resorting to giving him a blow at his stomach, close to his ribcage before she managed to snatch her phone from Hee Young. Kai fell to the ground with a huff, clutching onto his stomach with a groan and he closed his eyes soon after. She sighed upon retrieving her phone once again in her possession before she quickly said to Minseok, “Sorry, Min! He had my phone the whole day and I’ll talk to you later, alright? Talk to you soon!”

“W-Wait! I wanted to-! Oh… what’s the point…” He sighed, closing his eyes then on after with his hands shoving his phone away on the table. He stared down on his laptop and then he looked over his shoulder to see Junmyeons familiar gaze. Minseok’s lips parted to say something but Junmyeon beaten him to it, “She sounds happy.”

Minseok’s lips left parted like that, unable to say anything for a second or two. He ended up sealing his lips together after mumbling a soft, “I know…”

Junmyeon closed his book, putting it aside as he felt bad for Minseok – how can someone not?

Minseok was a really nice guy and he’d do anything to have Hee Young as his own. Some, at first glance, would think Minseok was desperate but he wasn’t. Heck, he could never be, really. If they said that Hee Young was his only choice at the moment, that wouldn’t be the truth when there are actually a few girls who have found Minseok attractive; they’ve even asked him on a date but guessed who turned them down in hopes someone would finally glance at his way?

I don’t think anyone needs to answer this question, truthfully.

Minseok rubbed his face in his hands, shaking his head with a groan, “What do I do…?!”

Junmyeon got up from his bed, pacing over to Minseok as he patted the latter on the shoulder, “I think it’s time you’ve done what you’ve been planning for a while now. Your completed file has been sitting in there ever since you’ve completed it; shouldn’t you do it? Once and for all?”

Minseok sighed, burying his face further in his hands with a groan – why were things so hard? Things were going just fine before Kai came along. And if it wasn’t for him, Minseok would’ve had her all to himself. As selfish as that sounds, Minseok had nothing to lose when it comes to Hee Young – he would put it all on the line for her and if only Kai knew that.

Well, maybe he does – no one exactly knows.

“Alright,” Minseok breathed out, moving his hands away to glance at Junmyeon who stood by his side, “Call Jongdae. We’ll get things prepared.”