-10

Take My Breath Away

Chapter Ten

2nd of April 2014

 

"Hey! Hee Young!" A slightly high pitched voice entered her ears, making her flinch as she lifted her chin from her locker to turn it to the side. Her eyes landed on a group of guys, people that she's seen around here but she never really cared. They were walking her way, the only thing that made her widen her eyes as she stared at them with a quiet thought as her tongue clicked - oh, these guys...

Her mind easily crossed Kai away, leaving her with just the remaining five coming her way. She can't even tell who was the one who called her out. Well, out of the four, that is - she spotted Lay and she crossed him out as well.

Just what do they want? Her mind groaned, loudly.

She knew how these guys could easily grab any girl's attention. By 'any' girl, it's 'every' girl in this place - the girls were all head over heels for them because they had incredible looks. They look good, she'll admit that - but looks isn't everything to her. When the few of them stood by her locker, she slammed it and tried to walk away, but a hand on her shoulder pulled her back, "Not so fast, princess." A familiar, cocky voice cooed, making her throw her head back as she spun around to slap Kai's hand off her shoulder. She blew her fringe away from her forehead with a sigh, her hands gripping onto the heavy books she was holding onto - she had somewhere to be, after all.

"Speak." She snarled at Kai, but he stepped aside, causing the four pretty boys to step forward as Lay and Kai stood by the side. It was as if there was a spotlight shining down on these four boys who came front. 

"I'm Luhan." The pretty deer-eyed boy spoke up.

"Kyungsoo." A hand waved, a small smile on his face.

"Kris." The tall attractive one spoke.

"Tao." Another tall boy, next to Kris spoke up in a dark voice.

"And I'm Minseok!" A voice shouted behind Hee Young, making her shoulders cringe as she accidentally bumped into Kris, the one standing closest to her. His hands extended to hold onto her, making sure she didn't fall. Kai's eyes darkened when he saw that, but he brushed it off easily - Kris was just being nice, that's all...

"Are you alright?" Kris asked, almost amused when she saw how her death glare was this close to slicing Minseok to pieces.

She stood up properly and gave a nod, shrugging Kris's hands away lightly with just a tiny smile of appreciation, "I'm fine - but he's not."

When she took a step back where she was standing earlier, Minseok had already came by her side as he waved at her exictedly, "Hey!"

She narrowed her eyes at him and he slowly let his hand fall with dejection, "Sorry... wrong timing?"

She scoffed, "You nearly gave me a heart attack."

He could only grin, "Don't I always?"

She rolled her eyes at him, giving him a shake of her head as she faced forward to look up to the four guys who introduced themselves earlier. "Sorry, you were saying?" If only she could sound like she cared, but she really didn't. She had a test to study for - one with Minseok and she had plans for the day. She had to go somewhere and later on she had to go buy a damn dress for the spring dinner. Everything seemed to be so time consuming that she gave up on planning her schedule properly.

She was just winging it all the way and prayed she had enough time for everything.

It didn't help either that right after the spring dinner, it'll be the start of her dance practice.

If the Lord could hear her right now, she would be begging for more hours in her daily life.

"So... Tomorrow, the six of us are heading for a movie and we have extra tickets." The one with the pretty eyes spoke - Luhan, if she remembered correctly. "Would you like to come?" Kris, the one closest to her gave her an eye smile, making her lips part in expectations of the guys to accept (like all the girls here would) but all she did was close her lips and shake her head as she muttered, "I'm not a movie person."

"But I am!" Minseok chimed behind with a grin, causing Hee Young to look over her shoulder where she used her head to point at Minseok for a brief moment, "There's your filler. Have fun this Friday, Min."

As she tried to walk, Kai hollered, "We have two extra tickets! You have to come!"

She scoffed and looked over her shoulder as she walked, "I said I'm not a movies person!"

"Then you can forget about me being your spring dinner date!"

That was what made everyone gasp - partially. They didn't exactly know what was a 'spring dinner' but the moment they heard the word 'date', it definitely left the small chatters and whispers to start. She halted her tracks and if glares could kill, Kai would be dead by now. He did not just expose that. And if Kai could take back his words in time, he would because now she was turning on her heels back to face him where she gave him a sardonical smile, "Then you can forget about me being your dance partner."

A chorus of 'ooh's erupted from the guys, this was all so amusing. A battle of words like this hasn't taken place in a long while. It was refreshing to see Kai get worked up over something like this, and it was funny for Minseok watch as Hee Young let herself go in saying whatever she had to say just to get the last say in this.

Kai shook his head and spoke up, "Can't you just come for the movie and make our lives easier?"

She her lips in an angry manner, her hands shifting uncomfortably from holding the books heavily and Minseok came to her side just in time for her to shove it into his hands (in which, she would apologize for later). "It's not my fault you guys bought extra tickets. What am I? Your financial planner?"

"Then how about yo-!" Kai cut himself off when Lay nudged him by the arm, the six of them focusing at the sight of Minseok talking to Hee Young softly. "Just think of this as returning the favor to Kai?"

She scoffed and took her books back, "Oh yeah? What for?"

Minseok frowned, "He did offer to be your spring dinner date. You and I both know I won't be able to make it..."

She wanted to argue back but when she saw that look Minseok gave, she couldn't say anything back. She sighed and looked ahead of her where she could see that they were still waiting for an answer. The stares that she got from the people around her didn't make her feel comfortable either. She groaned and narrowed her eyes at Minseok, "Just... tell me when it is. I'll be there." Her eyes glanced over to meet with Kai's where he still waited, "Just pray and hope I don't kill them..." Hee Young grumbled before she turned and paced away to the library, leaving Minseok to dash over with a grin on his face. "She said she'll be there!"

Lay smirked, giving Luhan a low five, "The plan is going to work fine."

Luhan smiled, "I'm sure it is."

Kai frowned - what plan?

"What are you-?"

"Nothing." The two guys whose name started with 'L' repelled one another, walking away to separate places whilst Kai was left there with the remaining guys who stood by his side, equally confused as Kai was. He looked around and analysed them one by one, "Do you know what they're talking about?"

All of them shrugged.

Kai sighed and shook his head, "I must be thinking too much, then. See you guys later." Kai waved his hand, causing them to just reply with the same lifeless wave Kai gave them before he his heels to walk down the hall.

 


 

"I have a feeling that she's not a dress person." Minseok commented while from the other end of the dressing room, he heard a soft scoff. He faced forward only to grin at the other girl with him here as well, "I guess she really isn't a dress person."

Hee Min grinned, "She never really liked dresses."

Before the two of them could converse any further, the door flung open as she opened it with a bit too much force. She bit her lower lip when the door came opening so fast and wide that her eyes clenched shut while the other two pair of eyes were popped open like saucers as the sight was undeniably beautiful. The white dress hugged around her body nicely, emphasizing on her curves along with her hair swept to one side as for her she felt hot but to them they could see how beautiful she was (not that they didn't know that, anyway). Her eyes opened slowly, completing the whole look of the white dress that covered up till her knees, the mirror behind her exposing her V-cut on her back along with the sleeves that rolled up 'till her elbows - she looked like an angel.

"You look..." Minseok breathed out shyly, his eyes glued on her as his breathing got heavier as he stared at her.

"Amazing." Her sister completed his sentence he started with, making him snap out of his senses as he blinked at her a few times with a faint grin forming, "Y-Yeah! Amazing! You look... beautiful, Hee Young..."

She rubbed the back of her neck, wanting to just get out of the dress but the compliments and the reaction she got was rather refreshing that she squeaked out a soft, "Really?" She looked down on her dress for a moment - the doubts came flooding her mind. "Maybe I should get a different dress?"

"No!" A reply came from Minseok, almost too quick, if anyone would ask.

Two pair of eyes were on him this time as they wondered what's wrong. "Why not?" Hee Young asked, a huff escaping her lips as she stared at him. He gulped and rubbed the back of his neck this time, nervously as he looked away, "This dress is perfect, Hee Young. Just get this one..."

She heard the tone of his voice and she wasn't used to that tone.

It sounded so foreign, so... nervous and there was this hidden feeling she could sense from that as she gave a quick nod.

"I... I was just kidding, Min. I'll change back and we'll get this. Then we can head back to the dorms." With that, Hee Young closed the door and backed away from it. She patted her cheeks and shook her head with a sigh, "No... Minseok. No..." She mumbled to herself but she slapped her forehead when she probably realized that Minseok could hear it. He hurriedly sprang up a random topic, throwing it at Hee Min who pitied Minseok as she replied him however she could because Minseok deserves so much more for being strong right now.

 



"They're probably not coming." Tao commented as the six boys leaned back against the walls, avoiding the whistles they got from the girls as they conversed with one another in their own dimension. Luhan frowned, nudging Tao's arm, "Maybe they're caught up in traffic!"

Kyungsoo scoffed, rolling his eyes, "Really? Traffic at a time like this?"

Kris nodded, "Yeah, I'm sure they would get caught up in the empty roads."

Luhan clicked his tongue, "Well excuse me for trying to be positive."

Lay patted Luhan on the shoulder, "Hey, I appreciate it."

A grumbled came from Luhan, along with the shoving of Lay's hand away, "Oh screw off..." 

Kai could only laugh along with the boys, not until his eyes roamed away to focus on a motorcycle pulling up by the side of the cinema. In the parking lot, his eyes narrowed and tried it's very best to focus but all he could make up was the driver of the motorcycle to switch off the lights of the motorcycle before swinging their leg off the motorcycle. When he saw that waves of hair came falling down onto her shoulders, he knew that it was a woman.

His eyes widened when she walked out from the parking lot, onto the sidewalk where she made her way towards the entrance of the cinema with her tugging onto her jacket. A look so simple on her, with just a pair of jeans to match the look has never looked so natural to him. He blinked at her, the rest of the bunch already greeting her whereas she replied with just a smile and a nod for each of them. When they met eyes, there was this hush in the air, everyone just stared at the two of them as they had this little staring battle.

She was the first one to call it off as she looked away, down to her bag where she pulled out his jacket. She then tossed it over cleverly towards him where he caught it with a hand of his, a smirk on it's way to his lips - "You remembered my jacket."

She shrugged, "I figured you might need it now."

He smiled, the rest of them giving him a knowing look as he did so, "Thanks."

She looked away with a tiny smile he managed to catch as they waited for the remaining star of the night.

Maybe tonight wouldn't be as bad as she thought it would be.

 


 

"Alright! We'll be doing this like usual, guys!" Tao hollered the moment they had everyone they had for tonight. Hee Young and Minseok furrowed their eyebrows a little, confused as they looked around, "What's the usual?" Hee Young took the liberty of asking on Minseok's behalf as well, causing Lay to explain briefly, "This isn't your usual movie theather. The seat layouts are set in a way where it's a two people seater on each column."

"So we usually pair up." Kyungsoo finished Lay's explanation, causing Hee Young to give a faint nod. Before she could even ask how they they would choose partners, a hand had already reached over to enclosed around her wrist where he had tugged her over to behind of him, "Partnered." A soft simple word came from his lips as he then proceeded to tug her towards the doors where he led her in, leaving the rest behind to pair themselves up.

"Bastard." Kris laughed as they headed in together after the two ahead of them.

It may sound absurd but she doesn't even know who was the one who was dragging her in right now. It all happened too fast while she was in a daze as she looked up, focusing on his back profile as she tried to make up who it was. When he looked over his shoulder to ask, "Want anything before we head in?" She tugged him backwards, causing him to stop walking as she stared at him. He turned around swiftly, eyes locked down on her where she stared at him, "What?"

Her eyes glanced down to see that his hand was rather tight around her wrist, as if he was afraid someone would swipe her away. He hurriedly let her go, his hand moving back to his side where he lifted his chin back to lock gazes with her. "You were the one who dragged me in here?"

Kai laughed sarcastically, "Well you wouldn't have came in here without an invitation."

She glowered, "Kai..."

He sighed, "I just thought you would be the best partner out of the rest, alright? Tao whines too much, Kris is a kid at heart, Luhan clings onto people like a koala, Lay won't even focus as he'll sleep in the movies, Kyungsoo is way too serious and I'm not too sure about Minseok so I just went with..."

She didn't know if she should feel as if she's being used or... happy. That he had the guts to just grab onto her and pull her in here on his own. It was rather interesting for her and it amused her a little as she gave Kai a slight grin. A smile crept onto his face this time as he looked at her, "What's so funny?"

She shrugged and shook her head, "Nothing. Uh, let's just go in. I don't really eat or drink in the movies."

He snickered unintentionally, "On a diet?"

She narrowed her eyes at him with a fake smile, "How understanding, but no. I just... don't."

He gave a quick nod and used his head to point at where they would need to hand the tickets but at this point, they would just point at Luhan and head in. "Tickets with him." Kai jabbed over his shoulder, directly at Luhan as the two of them headed in, a jittery feeling in their gut as they headed in.

"Hey, you listening?" Kris waved a hand in front of Minseok, making him blurt out a soft 'huh?' as he looked back up to Kris. Kris snorted and pointed ahead of him, "I asked if you wanted to buy anything before we head in."

Minseok glanced over at Hee Young as she waited outside of the theather room as Kai told them to wait for the rest before heading in. Of course, with that, the two of them were conversing and for the first time, he could see that she wasn't even this close to killing him. She was even on the edge of laughing but she was trying her best to hide time. Well, from here, he could see it clearly and he cursed himself for even staring. He looked back at Kris and shook his head with a sheepish smile, "Nah, I'm fine... I'm not hungry."

Kris gave a weird look, an eyebrow cocked up, "Really? You said you loved getting popcorn earlier."

Minseok took one last confirmation at his answer when he saw that Kai managed to make Hee Young crack up, a quiet laugh escaping her lips as she shook her head while pushing Kai away who was shaking up to her.

Minseok looked back at Kris with a shaking of his head, "I guess I'm just not in it for today."

And deep down in his itty bitty heart, he knew exactly why he wasn't in it.