II

The Iron Maiden
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

II

 

Many a full moons had come and go; a new sun had risen again for another day. The flowers bloomed and withered; the planted seeds grew in to trees. The seasons had their cycles. Life lived on.

 

And today, in a sunny morning, Miyoung sat alone under the shade of nature in the palace garden, a book resting on her hands, widely opened as it brought forth the knowledge it contained.

 

“Boo!”

 

“Ah!” The book fell as a shriek sounded in surprise.

 

Miyoung gritted her teeth. She doesn’t need to turn her head to figure out who the culprit was. “Seriously, when are you going to grow up, Taeyeon?” She picked up her book and bookmarked the last page she was reading on before putting it down.

 

“Ihihihihi. And when are you going to liven up? I swear, all you do is study, study, and study. Two years, and all I see in your hands are books.” The girl sat beside her.

 

“And all you do is play, play, and play.” Miyoung rolled her eyes and pointed a finger at Taeyeon’s face. “So do not ridicule my books, mighty princess.”

 

Taeyeon ignored the last statement and took the book Miyoung was holding earlier. Her tongue automatically stucked out when she read the title. “Advance Alchemy IV. Meh.”

 

“Oh, puh-lease. Don’t patronize me.” She huffed and took the book from Taeyeon’s hands. “Just because you’re talented in this area, doesn’t mean I can’t study and do well in it too.” She looked down as she pursed her lips.

 

“Well, everyone’s gotta be good at something.” Taeyeon grinned. It was true. Her brilliance in that science compensated for her lack of interest in elemental magic. But the thing is, where she excels, Miyoung falls behind.

 

In a recent event, the High Magi bowed in awe at Taeyeon’s (and Jessica’s) creation of the Panacea—a medicine able to cure all known diseases. And everyone in the Kingdom celebrated their genius.

 

Apparently, the House of Black Tortoise is known for their ancestry and line of recognized healers. So, it was a greater honor for Taeyeon’s mother that she has attained such feat alongside the young prodigy, Jessica.

 

“It just happens that mine is growing some herbs and making potions. And yours, dear Miyoung, is…well, kicking people’s asses. ‘Cause you’re a powerful badass of a princess. Ehehehe.”

 

Miyoung slapped Taeyeon’s shoulder, her eyes squinting.

 

“Ouch. I swear, you’re getting more and more violent as time goes by!” She rubbed her harmed shoulder.

 

“Stop swearing and just tell me why you’re bothering me again.” Miyoung crossed her arms.

 

“Be glad. Be very, very glad that I, Princess Titania Aeon, am a pacifist. Or else—“

 

“Or else what?” Her voice was playfully threatening.

 

“Or else…I will…I will…”

 

“You will what?” Miyoung’s eyebrow rose, a smirk on her face. She knew Taeyeon wouldn’t—couldn’t—hurt a fly even if she needed to.

 

Throughout their two years of friendship, Miyoung had come to understand why Taeyeon didn’t like learning how to control her elemental magic. The girl simply didn’t like hurting others, or causing harm with the abilities they were gifted with. And Taeyeon deemed that once she learned to control it, others might take advantage of her abilities for their own personal gain, even at the expense of the well-being of others. This, she had feared greatly. So, she deviated from combat teachings and studied Alchemy with Jessica instead. She thought that curing people is far more worthy of her devotion than studying warfare magic.

 

Taeyeon’s selfless view on this had made Miyoung respect her more. Taeyeon is not someone who would be used without her consent. She is more than a woman of great virtue—someone not greedy for power. She’s wise and her cheerful display of immaturity through pranking others masks her wit. People just didn’t know, as they merely judge the book by its cover.

 

“I will—“

 

Miyoung’s lips pursed before she can complete a sentence.

 

“Oh no, not the pout. Please not the pout! Do not show the pout to Taeyeon. It’s too early in the morning!” And Taeyeon earned another jab on her shoulder. “AW! You know, for a princess, you’re so strong. And violent! Aren’t you supposed to be graceful and feminine, and whatever-a-princess-should-act-like?”

 

“Tsk.” She pushed her tongue against her cheek. “You’re one to talk. Can’t you just tell me what you want?”

 

“What?” Taeyeon’s mouth went ajar. “You make it sound like I only go to you when I need something. Which is totally the other way around.” A slap on her shoulder. “Aw, ouch! Okay, okay. Stop hitting me.” She stood up, her hand on the spot where she got smacked. “I came to ask you if you wanted to go to the forest with me. I’m going to get some plants for some concoctions that I’m planning to make. And, I figured, you might want to join? Get a breather away from the palace? It’s such a nice weather today, you know. Time to get off those boring books.”

 

“You’re asking me this because Jessica told you that I’m being a gloomy little Lamb again, didn’t she?” Miyoung caught how Taeyeon’s mouth opened wide at the mention of her cousin.

 

Nothing gets past Miyoung that easily.

 

It was actually true. She was feeling rather anxious. Her days in the House of the Blue Serpent had come by so fast that her 18th birthday seems so near. She liked being here. Being with Taeyeon. And Yuri. And her cousin, Jessica. But there’s a part of her that fears for the coming future. For her destiny. For her husband-to-be. For everything. And inside, it made her wish that time would just stop.

 

“What is this gloomy little lamb you speak of? I know nothing. I haven’t even seen Jessica, or have, in any way, spoken with her. Today. Yet.”

 

“Taeyeon.”

 

“Okay, fine. We talked yesterday. And it’s not like I don’t see you lost in space at times. I swear, you look just like Jessica when she’s spacing out. Minus the scary aura….or not.”

 

Another slap. But this time, Taeyeon evaded.

 

“A lamb, huh?” Miyoung scowled at herself. She hugged her knees and in a whisper said her next words. “More like a pig.” ‘Waiting to be slaughtered.’

 

Taeyeon heard it. And she knew the girl must be feeling the pressure, and fear, on her shoulders. A sigh escaped her. She doesn’t like seeing Miyoung sad.

 

“But on the bright side…pigs are pink.” Taeyeon said in a matter-of-factly voice before she ran away, laughing hard—fully knowing that she had just equated Miyoung’s favorite color to the fat animal.

 

Miyoung’s eyes were squinted as she stared at Taeyeon’s retreating back. When the girl was gone, she pushed herself up. A small smile was on her lips.

 

Taeyeon had never failed in making her feel alright. Even in the weirdest way she could.

 

///

 

Miyoung usually garbed herself in an ankle-length white linen with two intertwined golden cords just above her bosom and below her chest—fastened together on her sacral area with a silver knot at its end. A red triangular wool was draped over her neck and pinned with ruby feathers on her left shoulder. Her braided raven hair was adorned with a garnet metal band and a golden plated armlet bearing the crests of the White Tiger and the Red Phoenix was on her left arm. These were her common clothing, the symbol of her lineage as a royalty.

 

 

But that afternoon, as Miyoung thought, she did not need to be a princess. For where they’re going is no palace. And Taeyeon is no stranger. No, not anymore. The girl had grown on her. And they had been more than any sisters could ever be.

 

And so, she wore a simple mahogany dress with a black belt wrapped around her waist and a pair of leather sandals for her feet.

 

“Here. Put this on.” Taeyeon passed a black cloak to Miyoung. “Let’s not get ourselves caught, okay?” Taeyeon playfully winked at her.

 

“Hah. I knew you were trouble. A cloak, really? Can it make me invisible though?”

 

“Cut the sarcasm and just put it on. It’s not that we’re sneaking out. It’s just for protection.” Miyoung raised an eyebrow at her. “Okay, maybe we’re sneaking out.” The raised eyebrow remained raised not to mention the intense stare she was now getting from the girl. Not wanting to back down easily, Taeyeon returned the stare, only to still lose in the end. “Okay! We are sneaking out. You already know that we’re not allowed out of the Kingdom without escorts. And what fun could we have if we have those burly men following us, right?” Taeyeon finally admitted. “Yuri and I knew a way out without getting caught. Just wear the cloak and act like a commoner, we’ll be out in no time.”

 

“Fine.” Miyoung conceded and donned the cloak around her, concealing her visage.

 

They took a horse from the stables and journeyed out of the Kingdom stealthily. Taeyeon held the straddle and Miyoung sat at the back, hugging the petite girl. The ride was smooth. And they had arrived at their destination peacefully.

 

They passed hundred-year-old trees on their way into the deep forest. To which the enormous trunks cannot be encompassed by a single person’s entire arm span. As the body was huge, its thick leaves served as roofs; its shade, dimming their sight.

 

It was dusk when they had arrived at their destination. It was still pretty much early, though the sky already looked darker, and the stars had already shown its light. Taeyeon recognized the danger of going too deep into the forest as they reach this part of the forest, so she decided to make camp under one of the big trees.

 

“You and Yuri always go out like this?” Miyoung asked while starting a small bonfire.

 

“Ugh. Only when we can.” Taeyeon finished setting up their tent and sat beside her. “We almost got caught once. I thought we would be locked in the palace forever. Luckily, my brother Jiwoong helped us.” She tossed a twig into the fire.

 

“Your brother.” Miyoung stared at the burning coal, pulling the cloak tighter for more warmth. “You really do love him, don’t you?”

 

“Yes.” A long silence engulfed them that only the cries of the cicadas nesting on the nearby branches can be heard.

 

“He’s a good brother.” The silence was broken as Taeyeon said this with a reassuring smile. “He’s the best brother in the whole wide world,” she continued.

 

Miyoung smiled back. She knew that Taeyeon must have felt her fears crawling under her skin again. Her insecurities and the things she was scared of were haunting her.

 

Albeit short, Miyoung’s stay in the House of the Blue Serpent changed her views on the aspect of ‘living’. She learned to lower her guard, to be more trusting of her new friends, and to live a happy life. Taeyeon, Jessica, and Yuri had made her live. They were the ones who saved her from merely existing like a puppet. They gave her something to look forward to, every waking morning she had. Especially Taeyeon. The girl is more than a miracle—a gift from the heavens—to her once miserable life.

 

Taeyeon started off as her oasis in a desert—a savior to a being dying of thirst. She did try pushing her away at first, but the cheerful girl has found a way to soften her hardened heart. As time went by, Miyoung has learned more of Taeyeon, and Taeyeon, more of herself. Without realizing it, Taeyeon has become her other half, the one who made her feel complete. All the things she kept inside, in fear of hurting others with her petty emotions, Taeyeon could verbalize. And even in silence, their actions and eyes tell each other so much more than words can express. Taeyeon understands her. Sometimes, even more than herself.

 

And Miyoung was so happy, so grateful, that she has her by her side. Finally, she had a place to call home. But…what happens when she marries Taeyeon’s brother? Will she still be allowed to be with Taeyeon? Will they be the same or will they have to change towards each other? Will they grow apart? Society’s hierarchy, its politics—she hated having to deal with it again.

 

Her eyes hurt from staring too much at the blazing fire. She closed her eyes, putting back moisture to her irritated eyes. She straightened her back, stretched her hands and stood up, putting the cloak around her.

 

“Where are you going?” Taeyeon looked up to her.

 

“You’re right. I need a breather. I won’t go far. I…” She exhaled. “I just need some space to think by myself. I’ll be back in a few. Don’t worry.” She lighted a torch and went on her way.

 

///

 

It was her intention to be alone—to think by herself. About the life she had lived, the life she’s now living, and the life she will have to live. As Miyoung, fully. Or as the Lamb, half-heartedly.

 

And she was so sure; she knew what she was doing, where she was going. She was holding a lighted torch, using its light to guide her way, a thicker garment over her body to keep her warm, and a dagger strapped on her waist, a weapon to protect her from wild animals. Everything seemed fine for she is a powerful Nephilim and has the ability to defend herself from stray beasts. She can handle anything by herself, on her own.

 

Guess not.

 

In a moment, she was crouched behind a tree, the torch completely extinguished. The looming fear made the surrounding atmosphere heavy. And her dagger—oh, why didn’t she bring a sword instead? As if that could help!—was clasped in her trembling hold.

 

Out of all the places to have a snack, the Drakon just had to choose that forest—that place, the very spot she chose to continue her thinking, where she was contemplating at.

 

The leaves swayed as the gust of wind caused by the creature’s wings brushed through it. The ground shook as the beast landed—a cow’s hide dangling at the edge of its mouth, secured within its enormous jaws.

 

Chomp. Chomp. Chomp. It devoured the animal in no time. Blood, flesh, and bones. There was no leftover.

 

Miyoung tried to even her breathing. The monster must not find her. She just needs to be still and let the Drakon do its thing, finish its snack. It’ll be done, and off it’ll go. She would be safe and things will go back to normal. She’ll be safe. Pretending she wasn’t there is all she needed to do.

 

“Miyoung!”

 

‘Taeyeon!’ Gasp! She almost forgot about her.

 

Miyoung wasted no time. She gained control of her numbed legs, and a glance at the source of the voice. And there standing meters away from the Drakon was Taeyeon, staring at it—dumbfounded. The beast was crouched; its sight was completely on Taeyeon, they were staring at each other.

 

Miyoung didn’t let another minute pass, she lunged forward making her way towards the beast, the dagger held so tightly. “RUN! TAEYEON!”

 

Taeyeon’s eyes widened at the sight of Miyoung running towards the humongous serpent. “NO! Don’t—” She tried to stop her, but she was too late. Miyoung threw the dagger at the Drakon. Its golden hide deflected it and it bounced off to the ground.

 

“RUN!” Miyoung shouted as she saw how the dagger didn’t even scratch the fiend, she summoned a ball of fire on her hand with all her strength. She fired it to the direction of the humongous beast.

 

The Drakon bellowed as it was hit. Its fangs shone and its acid saliva burned the ground. Its blue eyes constricted as it spotted Miyoung. And the girl was about to run to Taeyeon when it stomped its hind legs and the earth shook, creating a wide and deep rift between the two girls.

 

Adrenaline filled her senses as she pivoted towards the monster. She wasn’t going to let the serpent hurt Taeyeon. She was going to fight. She will kill it first before it can harm Taeyeon. Or she will die trying.

 

She widened her stance, a greater amount of aura used and a bigger fireball shot at the Drakon. The beast had it. A deafening roar echoed throughout the open space and with the swiftness of the wind, it darted towards Miyoung.

 

Taeyeon who was frozen on her spot saw the fiend lunging towards Miyoung. The girl will die and she will not have it. She ran, her heart thumping against her chest. No. She won’t let Miyoung die.

 

Miyoung didn’t know the exact order of what had happened next. It was so fast that a mere blink of an eye had made it hard to contain the scenes that transpired. All she knew was that she was pushed into the crevice the Drakon caused. Taeyeon followed, her body over her—protecting her.

 

There was blood, so much of it—that the scent lingered in her senses. Miyoung looked at her body. A few scratches but she wasn’t harmed much. She raised her eyesight and saw the Drakon’s blue eyes. Its head was visible through the crack, looking right at her.

 

No. It was looking at Taeyeon. And Miyoung could swear that she saw the blue pupils constrict and turned purple. A blow of smoke came from its nostrils and when she thought that it’ll be their end, the Drakon stepped back, opened its bat-like wings and flew away.

 

Miyoung’s body slumped to the ground in relief, too exhausted of the earlier events, when suddenly, she remembered—blood. There was blood. So. Much. Blood.

 

And it wasn’t hers.

 

“Tae—“ She called the girl. Taeyeon was in front of her, her back facing her. She was kneeling and then, Miyoung knew. Miyoung saw. The blood was Taeyeon’s.

 

“Taeyeon!”

 

Miyoung took the half-conscious Taeyeon into her arms and laid themselves on the ground. A fatal wound was on her neck and blood was gushing out. Miyoung tore the hem of her dress to help stop the bleeding. But, even applying pressure didn’t help at all. The cloth was soaked in no time. And Taeyeon was bleeding to death.

 

“No! No! No! Taeyeon! No!” Tears were running down her cheeks now. “Please, no, Taeyeon.” She looked up, searching for any way she can go up and get help. But the chasm was too deep. She wouldn’t be able to climb up. She couldn’t get help. She glanced at the girl. Taeyeon was losing color and her eyes seemed to be getting heavy as if her eyelids were fighting to remain open.

 

Miyoung leaned her forehead against Taeyeon’s, her other hand cupped the girl’s cheek while the other continued to put pressure on the wound. “Taeyeon.” She muttered. “Please. Don’t die. Don’t die. Please.”

 

Taeyeon’s eyes were losing its vitality and Miyoung, through tears and sobs, tightened her hold. She wouldn’t let her go. “It’s all my fault. I shouldn’t have gone alone. I’m sorry. Please. I’ll do everything you say. Just please. Don’t leave me. Don’t die. Please. Taeyeon, please. Fight it.” She felt Taeyeon’s breath getting uneven. She was losing consciousness. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. Please. Don’t leave me. Please.” The azure moon shone ever so brightly upon them, highlighting their figures against the stone canvas they were in.

 

Miyoung saw how Taeyeon’s eyelids slowly closed. And then, she knew she was going to lose Taeyeon. Forever.

 

She knew she wouldn’t let that happen. Not in her arms. Not that night. Not if she can help it. She would do anything, everything. Just to save Taeyeon.

 

But how could she?

 

///

 

Miyoung woke up feeling all of her strength drained from her. Her body ached like a massive boulder fell on top of her. She gradually opened her eyes. She saw the familiar scene she always wakes up to. The blue curtains, the flag bearing a turquoise serpent emblem, the bricked stone walls, a bed—her bed, the one she’s lying on—, a couch, a bookshelf, and fire on the hearth. It was her room in the House of the Blue Serpent. But why was she in her room? She was in the forest with Taeyeon.

 

TAEYEON!

 

She was with Taeyeon. She tried to sit up; she used her arms as she leaned against the bed for support. She had to know what happened to Taeyeon.

 

“I’m glad; you’re awake now.” A girl wearing a black ankle-length tube dress with a white shawl over her shoulders entered. A small black diamond crown laden with fine pearls was on her head, her hair tied in a bun on top. “But you shouldn’t be moving that much, you know. You’re still weak.”

 

“Taeyeon. What happened to Taeyeon, Jessica?” Miyoung is now sitting at the edge of the bed.

 

“Hmmm…water?” She poured a glass and gave it to her.

 

Miyoung accepted and took a sip. “Taeyeon. You haven’t answered me yet. Where’s Taeyeon? And what happened to her?” She put the glass on her bedside table. Her tone was more than impatient.

 

“Taeyeon’s with Yuri. In her room.” Jessica sat on the bed beside her. “Now, tell me what happened.” Her eyes held rigor in it. And Miyoung knew, the girl would only give this kind of gaze when she could had gotten herself in serious trouble.

 

“Thank god, Yuri went after you two. She said that she found you two in a fissure in the forest. There was too much blood. But she checked. None of you were bleeding. A few scratches on you, perhaps. But no fatal wounds. The both of you were knocked out. We had to lie and say you two were infected with some contagious cold so people won’t pry. And we’re glad they didn’t. Especially when I said that I would be the one who’ll handle your treatment.” Jessica sighed. “And in case you were wondering, you’ve been out for a week. I’m surprised you’re not complaining of hunger.”

 

As if on cue, Miyoung’s stomach grumbled.

 

“Okay. There goes the complaint.” Jessica snickered.

 

Miyoung coyly smiled, her hand on her stomach. It was true. She suddenly felt hungry. And another protest was heard from her stomach.

 

“Fine. Let’s get some food, so that little monster can shut up. And then, you tell me what happened, okay?”

 

Miyoung nodded. “Can we go eat in Taeyeon’s room instead? I want to see her.”

 

Jessica stared at her for a couple of seconds, contemplating if it would be the best to allow them to meet now. A sigh. “I guess it couldn’t be helped. Get dressed. I’ll tell the servants to deliver our meals to Taeyeon’s chamber.

 

///

 

The first time Miyoung saw Taeyeon’s dark brown hair, she clapped her hands and squealed in delight. She knew the princess is beautiful. But she’s more beautiful now than when she had her hair black. Taeyeon looked really cute with the lighter hair color that partnered her baby blue dress.

 

Apparently, as Jessica would put it, something happened in Taeyeon that altered the way she is. They’re still trying to find out what the changes were—so far, the different hair color is the most obvious one—but Jessica pointed out the necessity of finding out what had transpired completely on that fateful night in the purpose of pinpointing the exact reason of the transformation, and to probably foresee other changes that might occur.

 

“So, you were saying that you met the Drakon and it just left you. Just like that?” Yuri still can’t believe their story.

 

Miyoung was the one telling the account while Taeyeon was busy eating her sweet bread at a corner. The four of them decided to have lunch in Taeyeon’s room. And all of them just sat on her bed instead of eating at the table.

 

“Yep. Actually, it happened so fast that I couldn’t even remember everything.” Miyoung bit a piece of the bread.

 

“The Drakon injured Taeyeon on the neck, right?” Jessica raised an eyebrow. “Then, what happened to the wound?” Nothing escaped the meticulous Jessica; even to the slightest detail she probes for the facts. And Miyoung bit her lower lip at the inquiry. She didn’t know whether she could tell them what she did. It was making her feel uneasy.

 

“I’m patiently waiting, Miyoung.” Jessica narrowed her eyes, sarcasm on her tone as she waits for her answer. “Please don’t exhaust my patience. I can only tolerate so much for a day.”

 

“She kissed me.” Taeyeon answered innocently while munching another piece of her sweet bread. And all the heads turned to her direction.

 

If Miyoung could sink into the ground on that exact moment, she would have. The color of her face has matched the garnet metal band on her hair. And when she thought she could no longer be more embarrassed than she already was, Taeyeon had to open and say more.

 

“Right here.” Taeyeon pointed at her lips and grinned.

 

Jessica’s eyes widened and Yuri’s mouth went agape as both stared at the now red Miyoung.

 

“I…I…” Miyoung peeked at the princesses and her eyes fell on the bed. She couldn’t look up anymore. She felt in their eyes. “She was bleeding. And…and…I thought she was dying. And…I bit myself. And…she was dehydrated. And I…I thought…I…I…gave her blood…my blood…and…she was dehydrated…so I…I…” She was stuttering as she mumbled this, her eyes on the floor.

 

“So, you kissed Taeyeon.” Yuri’s hand was over covering a teasing smirk on her face.

 

“I…I…dehydrated…she was…I…was…trying to save…yes, save….her…to save her.” She knew she was a complete blabbering fool right then and there. But she felt like she had to defend herself from them.

 

“So, how does it taste like? The kiss—erhm—I mean, the blood.” It was now Jessica’s turn to fire the cannon of torment at her cousin.

 

“I…ugh…I” Miyoung was at a loss for words. It felt like she was caught in the act of doing something naughty. She was sinking and she couldn’t do anything to save herself anymore.

 

And Taeyeon just had to add coal into the fire. “It tasted sweet and her lips were really soft.” Taeyeon nodded and then, continued to gobble her sweet bread.

 

That day—starting that day—Miyoung was teased about the kiss saving she did.

 

 

A month had passed and Taeyeon’s hair had completely turned light brown. People noticed the change, good thing that Jessica was quick to lay a remedy.

 

They spread a tale that she and Taeyeon were experimenting on a new panacea and one of the effects was causing the latter’s hair color to lighten. Because of their unquestioned reputation, the gullible people were quick to buy any explanation they provide. After all, it was for everyone’s sake that they were doing it. Or so they thought.

 

“I’m hungry.” Taeyeon pouted, her arms crossed as she whined to Jessica across the table.

 

“I know.” Jessica continued to mix some gold fluid in a flask. The two of them were in Jessica’s lair, trying to come up with a solution to Taeyeon’s agony. “You’ve complained for more than ten times already; even faster than when I can say your full name.” She said, still absorbed in her task. “But we can’t have you drain Miyoung, you little parasite.”

 

“But I’m hungry. Just a little bit, a tiny drop of blood, please?” Taeyeon tried to negotiate.

 

Taeyeon’s change was drastic. Just a month had passed and she grew stronger, faster, more powerful, more agile than any creature they’ve ever known. She can leap from high places to another, almost like flying—Yuri would comment. Her porcelain skin turned pale white as it became more insusceptible to incisions. Jessica even tried to cut her once with a sharpened blade, surprisingly, not only did it not leave a single scratch on her, it also ended up bent after Jessica exerted a considerable amount of force to penetra

Please log in to read the full chapter