Chapter Twenty

Problems
 

Chapter Twenty

~~~

 

Taeyeon smiled at the young boy sitting across from her, "Oh yeah? What else did you do today?" she asked in a soft tone. The little boy played with his fingers and spoke shakily, "I went to school and we played dodgeball in gym," he stated in a hushed voice. The twenty two year old woman with black hair nodded, jotting something down on her notebook, "Do you like dodgeball?"

 

The boy nodded, but did not speak. Taeyeon smiled and tilted her head to the side, "What about school? Is school fun?" With one movement of his head, the boy spoke, "It's better than being at home," Taeyeon's smile faltered, but she quickly recovered, "Is that so? Well, what do you like to do at school?" 

 

Taecyeon shrugged, hands now clasped together, "I like math," Taeyeon took note of that, "Really? What are your grades in school?" Taecyeon seemed to hesitate before responding, "I'm failing," Taeyeon tried not to react to explosively to that as she continued to write down notes about the young boy.

 

"Do you know why you're failing?" Taeyeon asked, voice getting gentler with each word. Taecyeon began to slowly panic until his eyes met those of his therapist. He immediately calmed down once seeing Taeyeon's soothing eyes, "My parents don't care about my grades so I don't bother," 

 

Taeyeon did not push the subject further, she did not want Taecyeon to get intimidated. She set down her pencil and put her things into her bag, "Alright, why don't I walk you home then," she suggested, knowing that no one was going to pick Taecyeon up. Taecyeon swung his feet over the side of the slightly large chair and jumped off, "But my mom wouldn't want you to,"

 

Looping her arms through the strap of her bag, she placed a hand on Taecyeon's shoulder, "It's alright, it's going to get dark soon and I don't want you to walk alone,"

 

Go back two years and Taeyeon was a heartbroken girl but fast forward two years and here she was today. She managed to get her dream job as a therapist, a children's therapist to be more accurate. Known as Dr. Kim, Taeyeon was only just starting out in this business. Her main job was a little boy named Taecyeon.

 

Taecyeon was only seven years old and was sent to Taecyeon by his nanny. Not his parents, his nanny. After seeing a drop in Taecyeon's grades and mood, his nanny, Im Nana, hired Taeyeon. This being her second session with Taecyeon, Taeyeon already knew a lot about Taecyeon.

 

Mostly because Taecyeon reminded Taeyeon of herself.

 

Young and full of problems.

 

~~~

 

Entering the elevator of her apartment building, Taeyeon lazily pressed the button to the second floor and leaned on the side. Once in her apartment, her phone began to ring. Closing her eyes and taking a moment to breath, Taeyeon answered the call, "Hello?" she called out, tossing her bag to the side and laying down on the couch.

 

Jessica's voice rung out, "Taengoo!" she exclaimed, causing Taeyeon to pull the phone away from her ear, cringing. "Hi, Jessica," Taeyeon responded in a less excited voice. Jessica gave a giggle, "What's up, my friend?" Taeyeon sighed, "Taecyeon," Jessica flipped the page of her textbook, "Taecyeon? That little boy?"

 

"Yeah, him," Taeyeon answered, reaching for her bag and pulling out her notebook that was full of notes about all her patients. "What's wrong with him?" Looking down at her notes, Taeyeon answered Jessica, "He told me that he saw his father hit his mom before," Jessica gave a soft gasp, "What?" she asked in disbelief.

 

"I had the same reaction," Taeyeon breathed out, leaning back and closing her eyes, "I feel so bad for him," Jessica bit her lip and closed the textbook that was on her lap, "So what's your plan to help him?" Taeyeon stayed silent, thinking of a plan, "I'm going to have a few more sessions with him to learn some more about him,"

 

"Then what?" Jessica asked, genuinly curious. The black haired girl opened her eyes and sat up straighter, "Then I'm going to have a talk with his parents," Jessica widened her eyes, "Seriously, Taeng? Isn't this about Taecyeon, not his parents?" Taeyeon released a deep breath, "His parents are the cause of this whole thing so maybe if I snap some sense into them it'll work out,"

 

"Whatever you say, Taeng. You're the therapist here," Jessica shrugged before bidding goodbye to her friend. Taeyeon sat up immediately, staring at the blank TV screen. She suddenly laid back down, "Don't worry, Taecyeon," she whispered to the ceiling.

 

"I'll take care of you,"

 

~~~

 

"Tiff? Tiff? What are you doing?" Jessica asked the girl who barged into her apartment in a panicked mode. The black haired girl rushed back and forth, "He asked me to marry him," Jessica raised an eyebrow, "Again? Tiff, he asked you nearly three times and you cancelled the first marriage and said no to the last two," Tiffany took a deep breath, "But.. I don't think I want to marry him,"

 

"You're kidding me, Tiffany," Jessica stated in disbelief, "You've been together for what, nearly four years? And the two of you have been friends for longer than that," Tiffany shook her head, "I.. I don't know,"

 

"You were so damn in love with him before," Jessica commented as she sat down on the couch. Tiffany sat besides Jessica and pouted, "I know. I don't know what happened," 

 

"So you don't love him anymore?" The older girl asked, switching the TV on as Tiffany ran her hand through her hair, "I.. don't know. Jessie, help!" she called out desperately, clinging onto Jessica's arm. Jessica made a face and shoved Tiffany off of her, "Back up, sister. Your feelings are your feelings, I don't have any control over them,"

 

Jessica's phone began to ring and she picked up, "Hello? Oh, Taengoo!" she exclaimed before glaring at Tiffany, giving her the 'Don't speak' look. Tiffany nodded and let Jessica talk to Taeyeon.

 

"Oh? Taecyeon? Yeah, what's wrong?" Jessica spoke and Tiffany tried to listen in by moving closer but Jessica pushed her away, "His parents? Did you talk to them yet?" 

 

Tiffany sat back. Taecyeon sounded like a boy's name and Taeyeon wants to talk to his parents. Did Taeyeon have a boyfriend? The thought crossed Tiffany's mind and she immediately didn't like it. She scowled and crossed her arms, zoning out for a moment before realizing the way she was acting was not normal.

 

She should be happy for Taeyeon.

 

"What? You want to come over with Taecyeon?" Jessica glanced over at Tiffany, "But Tiffany's here," Hearing her name, Tiffany looked over, eyes suddenly desperate, "Oh my gosh, Jessie. Please don't kick me out, it's going to be soo awkward with Siwon,"

 

Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows and she felt her heart beat rapidly at the familiar sound of Tiffany's voice. She's heard Tiffany talk through the phone whenever she called Jessica and she's seen Tiffany walk by her in public but neither of them ever said anything to each other. They've met at Jessica's apartment briefly before one of them left to avoid any more contact.

 

Taeyeon looked down at Taecyeon, who was holding her right hand, "Well open up the door because we're already here," she ordered, walking up to Jessica's apartment door.

 

The door opened and Taeyeon hung up the phone, putting it into her pocket. Behind the door was Jessica and behind Jessica was Tiffany, seated on the couch. Taeyeon turned her gaze to Jessica then down at Taecyeon, "Taecyeon, say hi," she said gently, urging the little boy on. Taecyeon gave a bow to Jessica before hiding behind Taeyeon's leg. Taeyeon smiled and Jessica waved to the little boy before looking at Taeyeon.

 

"Isn't this your session time?" she asked and Taeyeon nodded, entering the apartment with Taecyeon trailing behind, "Yeah, it is. But I decided to take a break from asking Taecyeon questions and brought him somewhere outside my office," she grinned, using her free hand to fix Taecyeon's hair, spiking it up some more, "Where's Yul?" Taeyeon asked, changing the subject.

 

"Work," Jessica answered, closing the door and walking with Taeyeon to the couch where Tiffany was. Taeyeon bowed her head to Tiffany, who did the same. Taecyeon came out from behind Taeyeon's leg and blinked at Tiffany then at Jessica. Taeyeon spoke, "This is Taecyeon, my little friend," she introduced.

 

Tiffany looked at the little boy before smiling. Though Tiffany was never a kids person, Taecyeon had something she couldn't help but smile at. And once Taecyeon saw Tiffany's eyesmile, his cheeks turned warm and he hid behind Taeyeon's leg again. Taeyeon let out a small chuckle because that's what used to happen whenever she looked at Tiffany's eyesmile.

 

"So what brings you here?" Tiffany asked Taeyeon, still looking at Taecyeon before connecting eyes with Taeyeon. Taeyeon avoided eye contact and looked at Jessica, "I was wondering if you guys could watch Taecyeon for just a little," Hearing the news, Taecyeon hugged Taeyeon's leg, "Don't leave,"

 

Taeyeon bent down to get on eye level with Taecyeon. She fixed his hair, "I'l be right back, okay? These noonas are very nice," Taecyeon let out a pout and Taeyeon gave a smile, which almost immediately calmed his small heart, "Okay?" Taeyeon whispered and Taecyeon nodded. She smiled even wider, "Be good for noona,"

 

The black haired girl looked over at Jessica, standing up and walking closer to whisper in her ear, "I need to visit his parents," Jessica turned her head and from Tiffany's view, they were extremely close, which she didn't like. "Already?" Jessica asked. Taeyeon nodded and moved back a little.

 

"What are you going to ask them?" Jessica questioned and Taeyeon shrugged, walking to the door, "I'm going to wing it. Wish me luck,"

 

~~~

 

"Ow," Taeyeon mumbled as Tiffany dabbed some disinfectant on Taeyeon's cheek, "Sorry," Tiffany whispered, dabbing some more on. Taeyeon hissed and clenched her jaw but let Tiffany clean out the cut on her cheek. The younger girl gave a soft chuckle, "His parents weren't that friendly, huh?" she asked in amusement as she reached for a bandaid. Taeyeon's eyes travelled to Tiffany's finger where the engagement ring used to be. It was missing.

 

"Yeah," was all Taeyeon responded with as Tiffany lifted her chin with her hand, "The mom did this?" she asked, looking at the small gash on Taeyeon's cheek. The older girl shook her head gently, looking into Tiffany's eyes that were looking at her cut, "The dad," Tiffany's eyes flickered towards Taeyeon before back at the cut, "Oh," she whispered, not able to say anything else because the scene seemed oddly familiar.

 

"Good thing Taecyeon went out with Jessie," Tiffany stated, placing the bandaid onto Taeyeon's cheek. Taeyeon nodded but released a small sigh, "Yeah, but Taecyeon would know it was his dad who hit me," Tiffany furrowed an eyebrow, connecting eyes with Taeyeon, "Why is that?"

 

Taeyeon turned her eyes down to the bathroom tiles, "He saw his dad hit his mom before," Tiffany raised her eyebrows, "Wow," she breathed out and Taeyeon looked over to her, "Yeah. All I asked them was for them to at least care for Taecyeon just a little," 

 

Tiffany stared into Taeyeon's brown eyes and noticed the genuine worry and care she had for Taecyeon, "Do you normally care about your patients like this?" Tiffany asked. Taeyeon's lips curved up and she smiled, releasing a small laugh, "Not normally. But Taecyeon's special," Tiffany nodded before standing up from the edge of the bathtub and Taeyeon followed her to the living room. Right as they reached the couch, the front door opened and in walked a very excited Taecyeon and a very tired Jessica.

 

Taecyeon's eyes lit up when he saw the familiar black haired woman and he ran to her, hugging her leg. Taeyeon widened her eyes at the sudden gesture and stumbled back a few steps before smiling, "Did you have fun?" she asked, looking down at Taecyeon. Taecyeon looked up and the excitement in his eyes dimmed down as he saw Taeyeon's bandaid, he reached up and pointed at it. 

 

Taeyeon released a soft smile and Taecyeon widened his small eyes before hugging Taeyeon's leg tighter, hiding his face, "I'm sorry," Taeyeon bent down and hugged Taecyeon's small body, kissing his head, "Why are you sorry?"

 

"It's my dad's fault he hit you," Taecyeon mumbled.

 

Tiffany was surprised at how easily Taecyeon knew. Her heart constricted.

 

Taeyeon patted Taecyeon's back, "Don't worry about it. We should get going now, we don't want your parents to get even madder at me," The young boy nodded, "Okay," and he released Taeyeon's leg and reached for her hand. Taeyeon bid goodbye to Jessica and Tiffany before walking Taecyeon home.

 

As Taeyeon was walking, her mind wandered to Taecyeon's problem. Taecyeon liked to be alone at school, he didn't like to talk, and he was very hard to approach at first. Just like her. The thought made Taeyeon smile to herself softly.

 

Even young people have problems too.


BLEH! Brain got featured \o/ 

and almost 150 votes on this! CAN WE DO IT?

I FREAKING LOVE THIS COMMENT

tipco09 (Feb 21, 2014 10:14:29) says about chapter 20: Poor Taeyeon. She personifies the fact that people who care the most, are hurt the most.

 

oh well. comment/upvote!~