footprints (1/1)

Footprints

footprints (1/1)

 


 

Baekhyun looked up from the music score sheets scattered on his table and scrunched up his nose, using the end tip of his pencil to nudge his glasses upwards on the bridge of his nose. Junmyeon, a junior high school and the president of the music club, was grasping a giant kid by the shoulders, literally steering him towards Baekhyun. Baekhyun sat up in his chair, curiously watching the two boys as they weaved through the messily arranged seats in the clubroom.

"Baekhyun-ah! Look who I found!" Junmyeon flashed his megawatt smile at him, and Baekhyun squinted. He could somehow imagine Junmyeon's pearly whites shining like the sun. A weird image, really, but somehow befitting. Baekhyun cocked his head to the side before leaning back in his seat, gesturing at the tall, serious looking boy.

"You, uh...found a titan, hyung?" Baekhyun asked nonchalantly, briefly remembering an anime episode he saw his little brother watching one time. Junmyeon sneered at him in mock disdain before pushing the tall boy onto a seat.

"I found us our new composer!" Junmyeon announced, slamming his hands onto Baekhyun's table and ignoring how the latter gasped, taken aback.

"Yah! Hyung, you ruined my music sheets! What the ?!" Baekhyun swatted away Junmyeon's hands before carefully gathering his music sheets, pouting at how they got crumpled under Junmyeon's palms.

"Young man, that's no way to talk to your sunbae. Now, as I was sayi--

"That's no way to treat my music sheets, either! I worked hard on these!" Baekhyun whined, and they both suddenly turned their heads to the side when their tall companion cleared his throat awkwardly.

"Well, uhm, this is nice, watching you guys argue and all, but I actually have to meet someone right now, and if I'm not needed here anymore, I'll just go." He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly as he spoke, shifting in his seat under the gazes of Junmyeon and Baekhyun.

Baekhyun was the first one to break the silence. Tipping his glasses down, he stared at the tall boy before breaking out into a smile. "Your voice is so deep. I didn't expect that."

"Ah, yeah, I get that a lot." The tall boy chuckled softly as he shrugged his shoulders.

"Okay, so now that Baekhyun's over his music sheets, let me introduce you two properly so that Chanyeol-ssi can go on his way. Baekhyun-ah, this is Chanyeol. He's going to be the new composer for our club." Junmyeon clapped Chanyeol on the shoulder good naturedly, and Baekhyun turned to him.

"But I'm the composer. What are you talking about?"

"You'll work together. Didn't you say that you needed help?"

Baekhyun frowned but shrugged nonetheless. He smiled at Chanyeol as some form of acknowledgement, and Chanyeol returned the smile. He quickly stood up and bid his goodbyes at the two shorter males. As the door closed, Baekhyun lightly tapped the end of his pencil against his lips, quirking an eyebrow at Junmyeon.

"I never said any of that, gramps."

"Well, he's good! Jongdae tells me that the music he makes are perfect."

"And Jongdae knows that, how?"

"They're classmates, Baekhyun."

"Oh."

"...well, tell me if he's good or not. Either way, this club needs new stuff."

"...thanks. I know my stuff , but no need to rub it in my face, gramps."

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Uhm, Baekhyun, right?"

Baekhyun jumped up in surprise when somebody tapped him on the shoulder. He quickly pulled the earphones out of his ears and looked up to see Chanyeol looming over him. The latter smiled a little at him before sitting down beside him on the grass field in their school.

"Junmyeon-hyung told me you'd be here. He said that maybe we should start working on the what the music club would perform for the music festival." Chanyeol explained as he saw the questioning look on Baekhyun's face.

"Ah. That. Right, I  see. Uh, okay. Hi." Baekhyun grinned awkwardly, and Chanyeol did the same.

An uncomfortable silence passed as they sat beside each other, not exactly knowing how to break the ice. Baekhyun impatiently tapped his knees with his fingers when a black bug found its way on his arm. He takes a full five seconds of silence before screaming bloody murder, shaking his arm around and swearing to all the gods that he knew that the spawn of Satan or maybe Satan himself had just landed on his arm.

Chanyeol watched him scream his head for a while before taking hold of his arm and carefully swatting the bug away, making sure not to crush it on Baekhyun's arm. He supposed that a dead bug with its insides splattered all over the smaller male's skin would be infinitely worse for Baekhyun.

"The bug's gone, Baekhyun! Calm down!" Chanyeol shook Baekhyun's arm for good measure, and Baekhyun turned to him, an unreadable expression on his face.

It's an understatement to say that Chanyeol got the shock of his life when Baekhyun literally threw himself at him, gushing out words of gratitude and promises of lunch treats and whatnot.

"Thank you so much! Jesus Christ, I thought I was going to die! I'll treat you to lunch from now on, I promise. Just...not every day but...yeah." Baekhyun pulled away and sat back in his seat, grinning at Chanyeol happily.

Chanyeol could only laugh in pure amusement, his eye twitching as he slapped his knee in glee. Baekhyun pouted, but later on joined Chanyeol in his moment. It was weird, really, but they both felt that undeniable click. It was the start of a beautiful friendship, and neither of them knew that it would eventually turn into something more.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol leaned out of the window in one of their school hallways and watched as Baekhyun crouched outside just below the said window. He was clutching something in his hands tightly, and Chanyeol could see the tips of his ears blushing in an adorable shade of red. Clicking his tongue, Baekhyun looked up at him, his face akin to that of a deer caught in headlights.

Upon seeing that it was Chanyeol, he visibly relaxed. Being friends with each other for a year already (and literally hanging out every day) made them know each other like the back of their hands, leading them to develop an unbreakable bond that they couldn't imagine making with another person. They became fast friends, and one could say that they were best friends already.

Baekhyun beckoned Chanyeol to come out, and the latter shrugged, obliging. He made his way out of the room and towards Baekhyun's hiding spot. Once he was outside and in Baekhyun's view, the latter sprang up from his feet and threw himself against Chanyeol wordlessly, arms wrapping around the taller male's waist. Chanyeol cocked an eyebrow before patting Baekhyun's shoulders.

"Okay, okay, what is it now? You only hug me like this when you're crying over movies, you know." Chanyeol steered them away from the main walkway, and Baekhyun looked up at him, his face troubled.

"Yeol, I...I got something." Baekhyun confessed, pulling away and offering Chanyeol a piece of folded paper.

Quirking an eyebrow at it suspiciously, he took it from Baekhyun and unfolded it. He quickly scanned the words, and felt something churn in his stomach. He looked up to see Baekhyun fidgeting in his spot, clasping and unclasping his hands nervously while his cheeks remained in that adorable shade of pink. Chanyeol waved the paper around nonchalantly as he spoke.

"A, uh, love letter? From who?"

"Remember that tall Chinese basketball player who played in the district tournaments?" Baekhyun asked, and Chanyeol shifted his weight to one foot as he tried to remember.

"Uh...You mean, Huang Tao? Jitao, or...I'm not sure about his name, but whatever. Him?" Chanyeol asked, briefly remembering how he had seen the said male one time in a Gucci store in the local mall. He didn't seem like a guy who would call Baekhyun, 'a pretty butterfly'. The note was cheesy, really, and Chanyeol thinks that the churning in his stomach was because of it.

"No! Not him. The Canadian exchange student. Kris was in the game with Huang..." Baekhyun's cheeks flared up into a deeper shade of red as he mentioned the name, and Chanyeol felt that churning in his stomach again, but this time, it also manifested in his chest.

"Ohhh, him...He gave this to you?"

"Yeah...he talked to me earlier while I was on my way to take out the trash and...Chanyeol, he kissed me on the cheek. What do I do?!" Baekhyun covered his face with his hands, and Chanyeol, for the first time, was at a loss for words with Baekhyun.

The image of somebody kissing Baekhyun on the cheek, or anywhere for that matter, made his chest and stomach hurt. It wasn't hunger, it wasn't stomach ache or heartburn, but something else. He didn't know what, but he didn't like it. However, as Baekhyun peeked through his fingers while he waited for Chanyeol's answer, something tugged in Chanyeol. He forced out a smile (he didn't even know why he was having trouble doing so) and pulled Baekhyun's hands away from his face, proceeding to pinch his cheek.

"Aish, this lover boy. Do you, uh, like him, too?"

Baekhyun pouted as he looked away. The blush spreading on his cheeks was enough of an answer. Surprisingly, Chanyeol felt that heartburn-like sensation again. He ignored it.

"Then go for it! If he hurts you, I'll kick his , okay? That's what best friends are for, and unfortunately for you, this giant has decided that he's your best friend. You're stuck with me, Smurf." Chanyeol smiled at him, and when Baekhyun hugged him in thanks, somehow, he couldn't bring himself to let go.

Later on in the day, Chanyeol finds the crumpled love letter in his pants' pocket. He read it over again, and an overwhelming sense of loss overcame him. He doesn't know why he ripped the love letter, but it made him feel slightly better.

 

 

 

 

 

 

When Baekhyun cancelled one of their daily lunch dates for the first time because Kris was taking him out on a date, Chanyeol doesn't know why he was suddenly not hungry anymore. He was happy for Baekhyun, especially when the smaller male was literally bouncing on his feet as he gushed about how Kris was so perfect, but there was always an unexplainable heavy feeling in his chest whenever he saw Kris and Baekhyun together.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Junmyeon patted him on the shoulder one day as Baekhyun, for the seventh time, walked away from their lunch table with Kris, their hands linked together as they conversed in hushed tones. Baekhyun would giggle cutely, and Chanyeol had to muster all effort to tear his gaze away from them and back to his food.

"Sorry, man. Really."

Chanyeol looked at Jongdae questioningly. He couldn't wipe the frown on his face anymore, and he already gave up about it. He was already used to it since it happened only when Baekhyun wasn't around, and the sad truth was that Baekhyun wasn't around anymore as much as before.

"What do you mean? Why are you saying sorry?" Chanyeol asked, and Jongdae clicked his tongue beside him in exasperation.

At the same time, their other friends, Kyungsoo and Lu Han, arrived with their own trays of food. Situating themselves beside their friends, they took one look at Baekhyun and Kris' retreating figures, and then at Chanyeol's untouched food. They all proceeded to pat his back in sympathy. Chanyeol was confused.

"What? What's happening?"

"Aish, look at this oblivious idiot." Jongdae slung an arm around his neck and pulled him. Chanyeol was about to get Jongdae back for choking him when Kyungsoo leaned over on the table, shrugging at him.

"We see the way you look at him, Chanyeol. I don't know why it's not so obvious to you. You're in junior year already, you should know these things. You're in love, Chanyeol. You're in love with your best friend."

Chanyeol stayed quiet, mulling over Kyungsoo's words. He thinks back to all those romance movies and teen dramas he watches with Baekhyun every weekend. He thinks about how the characters act and feel when they see their love interest with another person, and then suddenly, just like that, everything clicked together.

Chanyeol thinks that jealousy is a , and love .

 

 

 

 

 

 

On the night of their high school graduation, Baekhyun experiences his first heartbreak.

It seemed that Kris had been with Tao all throughout the year, and he just had a cool off with him. He used Baekhyun as some kind of junior year fling, and Baekhyun found out the hard way (he saw the two kissing each other after the ceremony).

He cried all night, and he only calmed down when Chanyeol knocked on his window (they were neighbours). He let his best friend in, and for the first time in months, everything felt right again as he fell asleep in Chanyeol's arms, the familiar warmth and sensation lulling him to sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"You look ugly."

Baekhyun woke up the next day to see Chanyeol walk into his room carrying a tray of breakfast for them. He laughed at the comment, and nodded as he ran his hand through his hair.

"Yeah, well, I just got my heart broken. Give me a break, Yeol." Baekhyun patted the space next to him, and Chanyeol occupied it, placing the food tray in front of them.

Chanyeol reached out a hand and patted Baekhyun's head before pulling him in for a hug. "Just let it all out until the pain goes away. I'm here."

Baekhyun remained quiet as he clutched onto Chanyeol's shirt. "...don't go anywhere. Please." He whispered, and Chanyeol hugged him tighter in response.

They spent the rest of their first day of vacation cuddling in Baekhyun's room, watching his DVDs of Doraemon and Tom and Jerry, forgetting reality and responsibilities just for a while.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Stay still, Chanyeol. I can't put the sun block lotion on properly. Stop squirming or I'll shove this bottle up your ."

Chanyeol hugged his knees as he pouted. Baekhyun hummed as he lathered on a generous amount of lotion on Chanyeol's back. Beside them, Jongdae watched in mild amusement. Upon learning that Kris had broken Baekhyun's heart, Junmyeon had called for an emergency beach healing outing, much to Baekhyun's joy.

Kyungsoo and Lu Han were having some kind of contest in the water, and Junmyeon was hovering around them, worried that somebody might slip and drown. Jongdae stayed with Baekhyun and Chanyeol, opting to read a book instead.

"Such a sweet boyfriend. You're even applying sun block lotion on him."

Jongdae snorted, quickly coughing to hide the action. Baekhyun and Chanyeol looked up to see Minseok carrying a basket of ice cold bottled drinks. He was Junmyeon's childhood friend and the son of the beach house's owner. He handed out one for each of them, and ignored the way Chanyeol sputtered like a fish and how Baekhyun waved him off casually.

"Well, I try to be the best boyfriend out there." Baekhyun shrugged, smacking Chanyeol's shoulder and telling him to stay still because he wasn't done yet.

Jongdae grinned at Chanyeol knowingly, and Chanyeol flipped him his finger before staring straight ahead and ignoring everything around him. He just wanted Baekhyun to change his ideas for jokes. It wasn't funny, and it was making his heart ache.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol woke up in the middle of the night to Kyungsoo shaking him gently. Kyungsoo's eyes (more like the white parts of his eyes) stood out in the dark, and for a second, Chanyeol thought he was seeing the kid ghost in Baekhyun's favourite horror film, The Grudge. Shaking the weird thoughts away, he sat up and frowned at Kyungsoo.

"It's, uh, two in the morning, Kyungsoo. What the hell?" Chanyeol swung his legs over the bed as Kyungsoo shrugged, pointing out of the window.

"Baekhyun's outside. I think he's crying by himself at the beach."

Chanyeol didn't question him any further. He slipped off his bed and headed out of the beach house.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"You look ugly."

Baekhyun swiftly turned around and glared at Chanyeol half-heartedly. His glare faltered, and he sighed, closing the distance between him and his best friend. Just like the time when he told Chanyeol about Kris' love letter, he wrapped his arms around Chanyeol's waist and buried his face on the taller male's chest. He didn't say anything, and released a breath he didn't know he was holding in when Chanyeol hugged him back.

"It's cold out here. Let's go back inside, Baek." Chanyeol murmured as he rested his chin on top of Baekhyun's head.

Baekhyun shook his head, hugging Chanyeol tighter and wriggling his toes. The sand got in between his toes, and it felt sort of nice. "I just want to be alone."

"Should I go, then? Give you some privacy?"

"No! Don't go." Baekhyun pleaded, clutching on to the fabric of Chanyeol's shirt.

Chanyeol hummed in response, and he slightly swayed them around as they stayed tangled around each other. He pulled away and slipped his hand down to hold Baekhyun's hand. He pulled him along the beach, and didn't say anything as Baekhyun continued to sob quietly.

Chanyeol suddenly turned around, and let out a low chuckle. Baekhyun sniffled before turning around, curious as to what got his best friend's attention. Chanyeol grinned at him as he pointed at the footprints that they made.

"Look, Baek, your footprints are so small compared to mine." Chanyeol laughed, and honestly, Baekhyun didn't know what was so funny about it.

"It's because you're a titan. You should stop drinking milk."

"It's not my fault you're a Smurf."

"Shut up."

"Look. Over there." Chanyeol then pointed at the first footprints they made. Baekhyun watched as waves from the ocean washed it away gradually. Chanyeol gripped his hand tightly, and he turned to look at him. "You'll move on, Baek. You'll forget about that . You'll meet somebody else who'll wash away the bad memories, just like how those waves washed away our footprints."

Baekhyun bit his lip to stop himself from sobbing. He looked away and continued observing their footprints. The ones he made really were small compared to Chanyeol's. "...that is so deep, Chanyeol."

"Only for you, Baek." Chanyeol chuckled, and Baekhyun didn't miss how his heart skipped a beat. Chanyeol bumped their shoulders together. "Somebody else will wash away those memories, and hopefully, that same somebody else will make newer footprints with you that'll stay."

Baekhyun and Chanyeol stayed in the beach for another hour. Baekhyun fell asleep with his head on Chanyeol's lap, and the last thing he remembered hearing was Chanyeol muttering something about how love big time. He couldn't agree more.

 

 

 

 

 

 

They all went to the same college, and it was high school all over again, except that they were now in control of their schedules, and the classes and professors were a pain in the . They all took music courses. Baekhyun, Kyungsoo and Jongdae majored in vocals (and had Lu Han and Junmyeon as their upperclassmen) while Chanyeol majored in composition.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol shared one room in the dorm. Jongdae and Junmyeon shared one with some pokerfaced guy from the dance department whose hair colour changed almost weekly. Kyungsoo and Lu Han shared one with a guy from Chanyeol's department. Lu Han calls him fat lips when he's alone with his friends.

All in all, college was the same for them. Except for one thing in Chanyeol's case. He just found himself liking Baekhyun more and more as they spent more time together, and it wasn't a good thing, especially when Baekhyun told him, just before college started, 'I'm just going to focus on studies; no more love stuff'.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Come on, Chanyeeoool! Come with us! Finals just finished, loosen up!"

Chanyeol groaned under his sheets as Baekhyun kept on pulling on his foot, wiggling it around. He really wasn't in the mood to go partying, but never in his whole life had he mastered the art of refusing Baekhyun's puppy dog eyes and killer pout. Grunting out a begrudging affirmation, he watched as Baekhyun cheered happily, plopping down on his bed as he waited for Chanyeol to get ready.

Chanyeol went to his wardrobe in their shared room, looking through his clothes. They were all too casual-- hoodies, shirts, jeans-- nothing to match Baekhyun's 'party' look, which consisted of a black wife beater under a grunge leather jacket, his shapely legs clad in tight-fitting acid wash jeans. His eyes were lined, too, and his hair was messed up in a, would Chanyeol dare think, y way. Baekhyun beamed up at him, and he momentarily got blinded by his best friend's unparalleled beauty.

"Aren't you going to change yet? We're meeting up with the others in five."

"O-oh, I, uhh, don't have anything...decent, to wear. Unless down jackets and hoodies are okay." He watched as Baekhyun laughed, before standing up and walking up next to him.

Baekhyun leaned closer and Chanyeol shut his eyes tightly. Baekhyun was getting too close into his personal space. Chanyeol was never one to care about skinship, but lately, he was becoming more and more conscious of his growing feelings for Baekhyun. It didn't help that Baekhyun was really nice and caring to him, and the fact that he was as oblivious as a wall. Baekhyun liked walking around their room during the summer in only his boxers. Chanyeol hated the summer.

"How about this? This seems oka-- Chanyeol, are you okay?"

Chanyeol's eyes fluttered open as Baekhyun's fingers softly brushed against his cheek. He flinched away, and saw the look of surprise on Baekhyun's face.

"Uh, sorry? Well, here. This shirt is okay, and so are these ripped jeans...are you okay? You can just stay here if you're not feeling well." Baekhyun said softly, offering the pieces of clothing to Chanyeol.

Chanyeol nervously took them, grinning nervously at Baekhyun. "Uh, no! I'm fine, I can go. Uh, thanks, Baek. I'll just, uh, go change."

"Okay then, you do that. I'll wait outside with the others. They're probably there already."

Baekhyun stepped away, only to step closer again, eyes trained on Chanyeol's face. Chanyeol felt his heart thundering in his chest. He briefly entertained the thought of how he'd clean up the mess if his heart decided to pop out of his rib cage.

"Chanyeol, wait. Close your eyes."

Chanyeol's eyes involuntarily closed. He didn't know what was going to happen. Gripping the clothes in his hand tightly, he felt Baekhyun step closer, hand brushing against his cheek. And then, there was nothing. Chanyeol opened his eyes again, only to see Baekhyun grinning at him, hand held up to Chanyeol's face. His index finger and thumb were pressed together, and Chanyeol frowned. For a moment, he had really  thought that Baehyun was going to kiss him.

"There was an eyelash on your cheek. Here, make a wish! If it sticks up here on my index finger, your wish will come true."

It was silly, Chanyeol knew, but so was his unrequited love. Four years, and he still hadn't done anything. Sighing softly, he closed his eyes as he wished for the impossible. I wish that Baekhyun will finally notice me.

"Done?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, let's see....oh, that . It's stuck on my thumb. Your wish might not come true, Chanyeol." Baekhyun informed him sadly, and Chanyeol wanted to lie down in a corner, curl up and weep. It was so ironic that it was Baekhyun telling him that.

"I see. That , indeed."

"What'd you wish for?"

"Not telling, Baek, go be a nosy Smurf somewhere else." Chanyeol made a face at him, and Baekhyun stuck his tongue out before blowing the eyelash into the air.

He patted Chanyeol on the shoulder before heading out, leaving Chanyeol to change and have a moment with himself. Chanyeol asked all the gods, for the umpteenth time, on why he had to fall in love with Baekhyun.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo nudged Baekhyun's foot under the table as they did their homework in the library. Baekhyun scrunched up his nose in annoyance before focusing back on his notes, his glasses threatening to fall off its perch from the way Baekhyun was hunched over. Lu Han was sleeping beside them, the side of his face planted on the table as his arms hung by his side. Jongin, their new friend and Kyungsoo and Lu Han's dorm mate, sat beside Baekhyun. Kyungsoo caught his attention, and pointed at Baekhyun. Jongin nodded before elbowing Baekhyun in the ribs. The latter sat up straight, scowling at Jongin.

"What is your ing problem, Kim Jongin?!" Baekhyun hissed angrily, and Jongin held up his hands defensively before pointing back at Kyungsoo. Baekhyun turned his murderous glare towards the other male. "You."

"Yes, me. I've been trying to get your attention since forever, Baek."

"I'm trying to study, in case you haven't noticed."

"I noticed, that's why I got Jongin to elbow you on the ribs."

"Screw you."

"Speaking of screwing, what do you think about Chanyeol?"

At that, Baekhyun's face fell totally blank before blushing a furious shade of red. He shut his eyes tightly, pressing his palms to his face and shaking his head furiously. Kyungsoo and Jongin watched with amusement as Baekhyun kept on doing that for a while, his hair flying wildly in all directions. After a while, he stopped, and he looked dizzy.

"Jesus Christ, Do Kyungsoo, can you not do that again." He breathed out, and Kyungsoo cocked an eyebrow.

"Do what?"

"Plant...plant weird and inappropriate images in my head. And about Chanyeol, too! Have you no decency, young man?!" Kyungsoo mentally laughed at Baekhyun's wording, blaming their literature homework sprawled out on the table.

"I wasn't planting anything. I was just asking."

"Asking what? Me? And Chanyeol? For heaven's sake, no. The guy's my best friend." Baekhyun frowned, fixing his glasses and returning his gaze to his homework, grumbling. "I cannot believe you disturbed me for that."

Kyungsoo waved him off before leaning closer. "So what if he's your best friend? It can still happen."

"It won't, Kyungsoo."

"Why not?"

Baekhyun glanced up at him, an eyebrow raised. "He won't dig a guy like me, or any guy for that matter. He's straight."

Baekhyun looked back at his homework, missing the unabashed disbelieving expressions on Kyungsoo and Jongin's faces. The two shared a look, and shrugged, mentally praising Chanyeol for being able to hold out for this long. Baekhyun was indeed as oblivious as a wall.

 

 

 

 

 

 

During their last year in college, Chanyeol had reached the point in his life where his unrequited love for Baekhyun was pretty much hard to hide. He was sure that everyone around them knew about it. Their friends, their professors, their classmates, the baristas working at their favourite cafes, etcetera. Random people probably knew, except for the one person who mattered; Baekhyun.

Baekhyun was a die-hard fan of rom-com dramas and romance chick flicks, but he was one hell of an oblivious guy. Chanyeol could understand why Lu Han and Jongdae had felt the urge to knock his head onto a wall countless of times already, but Chanyeol calmed them down, saying that he really didn't want to ruin the friendship that he had with Baekhyun. Kyungsoo had snapped at him that day, totally flipping out.

"Stop being a ing martyr and confess already before somebody else does!"

A few days later, Chanyeol regretted why he didn't take Kyungsoo's advice.

He woke up on a cold Sunday morning to see Baekhyun leaning against the door, his face flushed and chest heaving as he tried to catch his breath. Chanyeol sat up, and Baekhyun looked at him before breaking out into a smile. The smaller male quickly pushed himself off the door, running up to Chanyeol and hugging him. Chanyeol, still sleepy and confused, just grunted.

"Chanyeol, Chanyeol! Guess what!"

Trying to blink away the sleepiness, he scrunched his face as he focused on Baekhyun. "What? It's too early for guessing games, Baek."

"One of my seniors asked me out on a date tonight! Remember that really, really good vocal major I told you about? That's him!"

"I...I thought you said you were done with this love stuff." Chanyeol asked lamely, and Baekhyun bit his lip shyly, giggling softly.

"Well, I take it back, then! This senior, he's really nice, you know? He kind of reminds me of you at times." Baekhyun laughed airily, and the simple comment sent Chanyeol's mind reeling.

Chanyeol felt lightheaded, and he could only nod, giving a forced lopsided grin in encouragement. Baekhyun, too blinded by his happiness, failed to miss the pained look on Chanyeol's face. He pushed himself up and bid Chanyeol a quick goodbye, saying that he was going to meet up with said senior.

As soon as Baekhyun left, Chanyeol went back under his sheets, curling up into a ball and taking deep breaths. It hurt too much.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Two nights before their college graduation, Chanyeol and his friends went to a bar to celebrate. Over time, his friends had lead better love lives than him. Jongin ended up asking Kyungsoo out, and Lu Han finally gave in to Sehun's maknae charm. Baekhyun, too, was happy with his boyfriend, the vocal major (Chanyeol and co. refused to refer to the guy by his name-- Chanyeol because he was too bitter, and the others simply because they wanted Chanyeol for Baekhyun). Junmyeon and Yixing, a medical student at their school, somehow hit it off, as well. Basically, as Chanyeol had so eloquently put it, they were all homieuals.

Chanyeol occupied a corner in their cubicle, and Kyungsoo wedged himself closer to Chanyeol, a judging look plastered on his blushing face. Kyungsoo was getting slightly drunk, his speech slurred. "Sooooooo. Three, uh, no...four? Five? Whatever, Park, you've been a ing doormat for so long, I can't even count properly how long. Baekhyun's been snagged, like, what, twice already? Aren't you going to do something?"

Chanyeol sighed before pushing Kyungsoo away and into Jongin's arms. Thankfully, the guy was still sober. "Kyungsoo, stop. I'm not going to do anything...he's happy with vocal major." Chanyeol muttered, and Kyungsoo let out an annoyed sound, somewhere in between a scoff and a sigh.

"Happy? Happy? Is happy constantly crying to me and Lu Han about how insensitive vocal major is? Happy? , screw my promise with Baek, I'm not going to keep ing quiet about this. Vocal major's not all glitters and rainbows and perfect prince charming, Chanyeol." Kyungsoo snapped, pointing accusingly at him.

"...what?"

"Vocal major's a ing douuuche, man. Baekhyun's just putting up with him because he doesn't want a repeat of...of, uh...oh, The Kris." Kyungsoo snapped his fingers (or more like rubbed his fingers together in a lame way; he was getting drunk).

Before Chanyeol could react, Lu Han came skipping up to them, Sehun in tow. The pink haired male had a worried look on his face. "Hey, where's Baekhyun? I've been looking all over for him."

Chanyeol looked up at him, eyebrows creased together into a frown. "Did Baekhyun drink?"

"Maybe? I think I saw him downing bottles earlier with vocal major." Sehun answered, and Chanyeol sprang up to his feet, frantic.

"Bottles? , Baekhyun's not good with his alcohol. , where'd that er take hi-- Baekhyun!"

Chanyeol was panicking, all sorts of images flooding into his mind. It was almost midnight, and they were in a bar. Baekhyun, who wasn't good with his alcohol, drank, and he was with his douche of a boyfriend doing God knows what. Chanyeol ran around the place, yelling Baekhyun's name and hoping to catch even a glimpse of the smaller male. Lu Han and the others tried to calm him down, but he wouldn't let them. When he was sure that Baekhyun wasn't in the establishment, he ran outside. Winter was almost done, but the air was chilly and cold, biting into his exposed arms. However, he didn't care. He turned to the side and saw an alleyway. He had a weird, wrenching feeling in his stomach as he looked at it.

He ran towards it, and saw an almost unconscious Baekhyun pinned against the wall by none other than vocal major. Baekhyun's cheeks were flushed from all the alcohol he drank, but Chanyeol could see his best friend's futile attempts in pushing away his douche of a boyfriend. Chanyeol swore that his vision turned red. The next thing he knew was Jongin and Sehun restraining him, his knuckles hurting like es, Baekhyun passed out in Kyungsoo and Lu Han's arms, and vocal major panting heavily, the corner of his lip busted and bleeding. Junmyeon was on his phone in the background, probably calling the authorities.

"You ing . Don't you dare go near our Baekhyunnie again, or I will skin you. I swear on my vocal chords, I will." Kyungsoo threatened, and vocal major scoffed before running away.

Jongin patted Chanyeol on the cheek, and Chanyeol tried to catch his breath. "Are you okay, man? You've got a bruise on your cheek, too. And the skin on your knuckles are cracked..., they're bleeding."

"I'm fine...Baekhyun?"

"He's okay, Chanyeol."

As soon as he heard Lu Han's relieved voice and words, Chanyeol passed out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Right after graduation, things related to vocal major and the little incident were never mentioned again. It was an unwritten rule in their book of friendship that they go on a beach outing every vacation. As they sat squished together in Jongdae's family van, Chanyeol and Baekhyun sat at the very back, the smaller male asleep and curled up into Chanyeol's side. Kyungsoo looked back at them, and smiled in a sympathizing way.

"This is a really stupid pattern, Chanyeol." Kyungsoo commented, turning back to the front.

Chanyeol frowned. "What is?"

"This. You two. Baekhyun's going to fall for someone, and you'll just cheer him on, ignoring your own emotions. He's going to get dumped one way or another, and you'll be there as damage control. Again. Don't tell me this is going to repeat again next year."

"I'm not the one who decides things like that, Kyungsoo. Stop blaming me."

"I'll stop blaming you if you'll finally get the balls to tell Baekhyun that you like him."

"He's my best friend."

"He thinks you're straight and that you won't dig him."

"When did he--

"Not important. Chanyeol, you at least deserve a chance to confess. , you've liked him for five years already and counting. Man up!" Kyungsoo turned around again, his voice raising an octave higher.

"Keep it down, I'll strangle you if Baekhyun wakes up and hears all the crap you're spouting."

"It's not crap. It's the truth. You guys are meant to be, I don't know why you both don't see that. For once, Park Chanyeol, will you just please man up? We're tired of seeing you two run around in circles."

"Technically, it's up, or...gay up." Jongdae piped up from the driver's seat. Lu Han answered him with a 'hmm, eyes on the road, Jongdae'.

Chanyeol didn't answer Kyungsoo anymore, opting to just stare out the window. Unbeknownst to all of them was Baekhyun currently trying to will away the blush spreading on his cheeks. It was all too much to take in, and for the mean time, all he wanted to do was pull away from his intimate position with Chanyeol. He failed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just like that time all those years ago, Chanyeol was woken up by Kyungsoo in the middle of the night. Swinging his legs over the bed, he ran a hand through his hair and grunted in some sort of greeting. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes before pointing out of the window.

"Baekhyun's out there."

Chanyeol let his gaze follow where Baekhyun was pointing. Frowning, he shrugged before starting to move back into his bed. Kyungsoo hit him on the back of the head with a slipper. Chanyeol scowled.

"That hurts!"

"And your heart doesn't?"

Chanyeol wanted to gag at that moment at how cringe-worthy Kyungsoo's line was, but he couldn't deny it. Kyungsoo could read him and Baekhyun like open books. Exhaling through his nose, he looked back outside and grumbled.

"Why should I go out there?"

"...why should you?"

Chanyeol looked back at Kyungsoo, and Kyungsoo was smiling at him. Chanyeol let his gaze fall back on Baekhyun's small figure sitting out on the beach. He knew that everything that Kyungsoo said was right. Standing up, he gave Kyungsoo a slight smile, and the other returned it with his signature heart-warming heart-shaped smiles.

"Go get him, Park Chanyeol."

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun hugged his knees as he sat out on the beach. He poked his fingers into the sand in a straight line, watching the little dots disappear as the wave washed them away. He stretched his legs forward, wriggling his toes in the water. He sighed heavily, leaning back on his hands and looking up at the stars in the sky.

"Huh...somebody who'll wash away the bad memories...hmm..."

"Isn't that line from my pep talk for you?"

Baekhyun jumped up, startled out of his wits. He whipped his head around, eyes wide as he saw Chanyeol sitting on the sand not too far from where he was. He suddenly remembered a certain conversation in the car a few hours ago, and he could feel the blood rushing to his cheeks. He turned away, focusing on the waves lapping up against his bare feet.

"So what if it is? It was something my best friend told me, so of course I'd remember it." Baekhyun mumbled, and Chanyeol's deep rumbling chuckle answered him.

"Right. Best friend...say...what if I didn't want to be your best friend anymore?"

Baekhyun felt something painful sting his heart. He turned around abruptly, frowning at Chanyeol. He opened his mouth to speak, and closed them again when nothing came out. Clenching and unclenching his fists in the sand, he felt the little grains rolling against his skin, the same sensation he felt back then when Chanyeol was comforting him.

"You...you don't want to be my best friend anymore?" Baekhyun asked quietly, and Chanyeol shrugged.

"Well...not exactly."

"...what..."

"What if...what if I wanted to be more than that? What if I wanted us to be more than that?"

Baekhyun looked up at him, shaking his head. "No...you don't want that...you're...no, you're just...I just broke up and...Chanyeol."

"Why not? Why can't I like you and all those other guys can?" Chanyeol asked him, brows furrowing and lips pressed into a thin line.

"Because we're best friends! I can't...I...Chanyeol, I..."

When Chanyeol chuckled softly, the sound ringing bitter and hurt, Baekhyun couldn't help but feel like someone was crushing his own heart. He felt like how he did whenever he lied to his mom. It was wrong, it felt heavy, but he couldn't bring himself to say anything else aside from denials. He watched as Chanyeol stood up, dusting his shorts.

"Sorry. I just thought maybe, but...at least I tried." Chanyeol smiled at him, and Baekhyun felt tears prickling his eyes. Chanyeol started walking back to the beach house, back turned to Baekhyun. When he spoke again, his voice wavered at the end, and Baekhyun knew he was holding back a sob. "Whenever you feel sad or just plain unloved, know that you're wrong, Baek. I'll always be here for you."

"Chanyeol, I..."

"That's what best friends are for, right?"

Baekhyun, the words lost in this throat, watched Chanyeol's retreating back. His gaze then landed on the footprints that Chanyeol made. The tears fell when he saw how his best friend's prints were right next to the ones that he made on his way to the beach. The waves couldn't reach their prints.

Nothing was going to wash away Chanyeol.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Their friendship took a turn for the awkward after that fateful night. Chanyeol was still his hyper and caring self, but Baekhyun noticed how he had lessened his skinship with him in particular. Baekhyun couldn't blame him, for he did the same, trying his best to not be alone with Chanyeol anymore. Graduating from college and living life as an adult made it much more easier for him.

Chanyeol rented an apartment with Jongin and Sehun, Baekhyun rented an apartment with Kyungsoo. Chanyeol was busy with life as a trainee composer in an indie music company, while Baekhyun, along with Kyungsoo and Jongdae, were flocked with offers from different music companies due to their outstanding performance during college. They were all busy, so they rarely had time to hang out. When they did, however, Baekhyun and Chanyeol weren't the same as before. There was an air of detachment hanging around them, and their friends hated it.

Their first Christmas as adults, they met up at Junmyeon's house for a small get-together. Kyungsoo cooked, Baekhyun and Lu Han helped, and the other guys set up the place. As Kyungsoo finished cooking, everything was set.

"Okay, so, I think I texted you all who your exchange gift partner is, right? I picked for you guys through draw lots and, yeah. Hope you brought something." Junmyeon started, and Lu Han jumped up from his seat.

He skipped over to Chanyeol, throwing a small box at him. Chanyeol laughed, and said his thanks. He opened it to see a pretty little guitar pick taped over a leather-bound notebook, a note written by Lu Han saying 'go compose more amazing !' on top. Sehun came up next, approaching Lu Han and giving him a little, rectangular box containing a customized necklace that was a letter 'S' and 'L' on top of each other. Lu Han smothered Sehun with a hug right after.

Kyungsoo came next, going over to Junmyeon and giving him a limited edition album of Junmyeon's favourite singer. Jongin got Yixing a Polaroid camera. Baekhyun got Jongin a pair of new dancing shoes. Junmyeon got Kyungsoo a down jacket for the winter. Yixing got Sehun a newly released video game. Jongdae gave Minseok a bracelet, and Minseok gave Jongdae a beanie with his initials. Lastly, it was Chanyeol's turn to stand (of course).

Chanyeol got out a little white box wrapped with a pretty gold ribbon. He gave Baekhyun one of his practiced guarded smiles before placing the box on top of Baekhyun's lap. Baekhyun looked up at him, unsure of how he should react.

"Uhm, that's probably not anything you're expecting. I...you know how impulsive I am when it comes to gifts. I just...I thought of you when I saw that so I bought it and...yeah."

Baekhyun nodded his head, pocketing the box and opting to open it later. Their party continued with Jongin and Chanyeol hitting the karaoke, Lu Han and Sehun taping everything as they laughed while the others tried to eat all the remaining food. As they were all busy having fun, Baekhyun remained seated on the lowest step of the staircase in Junmyeon's house. He pulled out the box that Chanyeol gave him. Carefully unwrapping it, he almost dropped the box out of surprise.

"That's a pretty ring."

Baekhyun looked up to see Kyungsoo gazing at him with something akin to pity. Baekhyun nodded.

"Yeah...it's pretty."

I don't deserve this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Baekhyun, are you coming or not? We'll be late for our flight."

Baekhyun snapped out of his reverie as he looked up at his friends. Lu Han, Kyungsoo and Jongdae stood at his bedroom's doorway, each with a bag slung over his shoulder, ready for their trip. Baekhyun nodded his head as he jammed his mobile phone into his duffel bag, zipping it close and hitching it over his shoulder. He stood up from the bed and made his way to his friends, but something  dropped from his hand as he did. The thing rolled over on the floor towards Kyungsoo's foot, and Baekhyun suddenly looked guilty. Kyungsoo bent down to pick it up.

"...Baekhyun." He started, eyeing the object in between his index and middle finger, the sunlight filtering thru the window, making it glint.

"I...Uh, I don't know how it got there...I'll, just, uh, put it back somewhere. Here, give it to me." Baekhyun looked uncomfortable as he held out his hand rather shakily, but Kyungsoo frowned at him, clutching the object in his hands protectively.

"You know, just go." Kyungsoo sighed in what seemed like exasperation and defeat, and Baekhyun could only shake his head furiously.

"No, no! It's okay, really, just give it to me, I'll put it away, and then we'll go--

"You need him. That much, we can see, Baekhyun. We're not holding you back." Lu Han spoke out this time, a sympathizing smile on his pretty face as he placed a hand on Baekhyun's outstretched arm.

"I-I don't..." Baekhyun took a deep breath as his voice cracked, and suddenly, his bag seemed heavy and his knees felt weak.

He slumped back down on his bed, and his friends promptly rushed to his side, sitting down beside or in front of him. Kyungsoo took a hold of his hand and put something in his grasp, enclosing his fingers around it patting his hand in a form of 'good luck'.

"Go, Baekhyun. He's waiting for you. He always has been." Kyungsoo's voice rang with a certain need, and Baekhyun could only grip the object in his hand tightly.

"What if...what if he doesn't want me anymore? I...I've been nothing but ing insensitive to him...I..." Baekhyun's breath hitched, and he blinked his eyes rapidly to clear it from the tears blurring his vision.

"We don't know that. He might want you, he might not want you, we won't know." Kyungsoo said, cupping Baekhyun's face and squeezing his cheeks gently.

"Then let's just go. There's no need for me to go back." Baekhyun whispered brokenly, and Kyungsoo shook his head, a sympathizing smile playing on his lips.

"You won't know until you try, Baekhyun. You need to try, because..." Kyungsoo seemed to hesitate if he should continue or not, but Lu Han saved him.

"Because all these years, wasn't he always the one who stayed by you? Who stayed with you? The one you went back to every single time somebody broke your heart? Baekhyun, he's the one for you. You guys knew and felt that at one point, so I don't see the reason why you won't feel it again. Go." Lu Han smiled at him.

As Kyungsoo pulled him up to his feet, he looked at his friends helplessly. Lu Han and Kyungsoo gave him two thumbs up signs each, and Jongdae held up a hand at him, shaking it around gently. Baekhyun quirked an eyebrow, and Jongdae rolled his eyes before pointing at his own ring finger.

"The ring. Put it on when you go to him."

Baekhyun could only tighten his fist around the ring in his hand, feeling the circular shape of the band dig into his palm. Taking a deep breath and biting his lip, he nodded and turned to his bag, fishing out his mobile phone. Clutching the gadget in his hand, he dropped his bag and smiled gratefully at his friends. He hurried out of the bedroom, and as he exited his shared apartment with his friends, they heard his faint, 'Hello, Jongin?' before the front door closed.

Jongdae was the first one to release a deep sigh as he flopped down face first onto Baekhyun's bed. Kyungsoo came next, sitting down on the bed and shrugging off his jacket. Lu Han kept his eyes trained on the door, as if he could still see Baekhyun.

"Well, there goes our flight to Japan, and our supposed musical debut." Jongdae's voice was muffled by the bed, and Kyungsoo grunted in approval.

"There's always next time...maybe." Kyungsoo hummed, carefully folding his jacket and placing in on top of the bed. He had always been the neatest of the four.

"I hope they get back together..." Lu Han mumbled quietly, and Kyungsoo and Jongdae stayed silent. They hoped for the same thing, too.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Baekhyun? What are you doing here?"

Baekhyun swallowed, trying to catch his breath as he rested his hands on his knees. He had called Jongin on his phone when the battery suddenly died. Lost in his panic, he decided to take the bus to Jongin's apartment. One stop more, and he deemed the bus too slow. He got off and ran all the way to the apartment complex. Jongin stared at him incredulously.

"Baek, uh, aren't you supposed to be on the plane right now?"

"N-no...I......Kim Jongin...I...where the is Chanyeol?!" Baekhyun stood up straight, half-shrieking and half-gasping out his question. Jongin cocked an eyebrow before shrugging his shoulder.

"He, uh, just left....man, are you okay?"

"No! No, I'm not! ing-- where'd he go?!" Baekhyun pushed past Jongin, barging into his shared apartment with Chanyeol.

He partially heard Jongin asking him to take off his shoes, but he ignored him, directly stomping off towards Chanyeol's room. Swinging open the door, alarm bells started ringing in his head as he took in the neat appearance of the room. The bed was made up, the computer table had nothing, and the open wardrobe had little to no clothing left. Baekhyun would have given anything to at least see one familiar hoodie or down jacket in there.

He walked inside, fingers running along the computer table. His gaze fell on the bulletin board placed above the table. He inspected the messy handwriting that he had grown so familiar with over the years. He felt tears prickling his eyes, and he blinked them away. Something tacked on the board made his heart churn in a painful way. On the corner of the bulletin board was a small photo, the quality suggesting that it was taken by a mobile phone. In the photo was Baekhyun, sitting on the beach near Minseok's house. Behind him was his own trail of footprints, alone and incomplete. Baekhyun didn't know when it was taken, but he had a good guess.

"Baek, what are you-- oh."

Baekhyun turned to the doorway to see Jongin watching him curiously. Baekhyun looked away to wipe the tears on his eyes before staring back at Jongin.

"Where'd he go?"

"He...why do you want to know?" Jongin asked, and Baekhyun noticed how Jongin suddenly seemed so guarded.

"Because...just tell me, Jongin. He's my best friend, I have a right to know where he went."

"Did you meet somebody else again?"

Baekhyun frowned. "What? No! What are you saying?"

"Are you going to tell him about some wonderful new love you found again? Are you going to hurt him again?" Jongin spat, suddenly feeling very protective of his tall friend.

Baekhyun stomped his foot angrily and shook his head, fists clenching beside him. He took deep breaths as he tried to collect his thoughts. It was hard to finally voice out the thoughts he's had ever since the night that Chanyeol gave him 'the pep talk'. All this time, he just thought that it was because he had just broken up with Kris, but now that he thought about it, every single guy he liked or found cute or dated, all had some kind of similarity with Chanyeol. Be it a single habit, an experience, the height, whatever it was, always had something to do with Chanyeol. Baekhyun stared defiantly at Jongin, which soon faltered as he opened his mouth to speak.

"I-I..." Baekhyun started weakly, holding his own hands and wringing them nervously.

"You what?"

"I...I was stupid and...oblivious and...Jongin, where is he?" Baekhyun looked up at Jongin, his eyes pleading.

Jongin watched him for a while before sighing, jerking his thumb towards the door. "He went out half an hour ago before you came here. Packed his bags and said that he was going to Minseok-hyu--

Baekhyun didn't let him finish. The smaller male pushed past him and hurried out of the door, heart thundering in his ribcage and imagining all the possible reasons on why Chanyeol had just left without telling him anything. Jongin watched him go, and he shook his head in mild amusement.

"He went to Minseok-hyung to take a break. Baekhyun might've misunderstood me. Oops."

 

 

 

 

 

 

Relying only on public transportation turned a supposed one-hour drive into a two-hour commute, what with the frequent stops and transfers, but thankfully, Baekhyun finally arrived at Minseok's beach house. It was already way past bedtime for some people, so it didn't surprise him that no lights were on in the house. Walking along the usual pathway that he ran on with his friends during their beach outings, he let his gaze travel around, the silver band on his finger and feeling very lost.

He had panicked and ran as soon as Jongin had told him where Chanyeol was. He was so jumpy during the first few minutes of his journey, but as the seconds turned to minutes, he finally calmed down. He had looked at the ring countless of times already, smiling bitterly at how perfectly it fit. He didn't know what he was going to say to Chanyeol.

Somehow, he had found himself walking along the beach. He sighed deeply, slipping off his shoes and holding them with one hand. He walked slowly along the shoreline, watching as the waves barely reached his feet. The cold air bit his exposed neck as he had forgotten his scarf at home due to his hurrying. He briefly remembered how Chanyeol would always be there back in the days to keep him warm. At this thought, he felt a prickling sensation in his heart. It hurt, but he didn't dare cry, because he knew that Chanyeol, for six years, must have gone through more pain than he ever did.

"I'm so stupid..." Baekhyun whispered into the air, and a cough from behind him caught his attention.

He abruptly turned around, almost losing his balance and dropping his shoes into the waves. Standing before him, clad only in pyjama sweatpants and a thick knitted sweater, was Chanyeol. His eyes were wide as he took in Baekhyun's appearance, and his mouth hung open. Baekhyun was frozen in his spot as well, and he just watched wordlessly as Chanyeol took out his phone and checked the time.

"Uh...aren't you supposed to be in Japan right now, Baekhyun?" He asked carefully as he looked back at Baekhyun, and Baekhyun's throat felt dry so he could only nod. Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows. "Then why are you here...?"

"I...I forgot something." Baekhyun breathed out, his voice coming out in a whisper.

"Forgot...here at the beach? What, your swimming trunks or something?" Chanyeol laughed dryly, and he stopped when Baekhyun didn't even budge, face still scrunched up like he had a severe case of stomach ache.

They remained standing on the beach, not saying anything. Baekhyun looked down at his feet, wriggling his toes in the sand as he listened to Chanyeol's steady breathing. He consciously tucked a stray lock of hair behind his ear, and he looked up in alarm when Chanyeol let out a choked sound. He then realized that Chanyeol saw the ring on his finger. Baekhyun flushed red, quickly pulling his hand back down and refusing to make eye contact with Chanyeol. When the other didn't do anything, Baekhyun sighed before taking a deep breath, looking at Chanyeol with determination.

"I..I forgot to say something, actually." He started, and the look on Chanyeol's face looked like he already knew what was happening.

"Baek...uhm. You're...you're...the ring...last Christmas...uh."

Baekhyun nodded, and he swallowed nervously before speaking. "I was stupid. I...I never realized that what I felt for you was different. Whenever I dated somebody, I never realized that I was unconsciously looking for someone like you. I...Even before Kris happened, you've been with me, Chanyeol. You...everybody left footprints in my heart, but the times I spend with you is the wave that washes those away, and then you come along to make newer, permanent footprints that nothing can wash away. Chanyeol, I...I think I like you, so please forgive me for being a wall and don't go anywhere." Baekhyun spoke so fast that Chanyeol wouldn't have understood him if he hadn't been best friends with the smaller male for six years.

"...are you serious?" Chanyeol asked curiously, and Baekhyun nodded his head furiously, stepping forward.

"Yes! And...and when we had some kind of fall out after you told me your feelings, I-I felt the worst and...Chanyeol, please don't go anywhere. This might be selfish but...stay with me, just like you always have." Baekhyun pleaded softly, his words coming out in a whisper, the sound of the crashing waves almost drowning him out.

"I'm not...I'm not going anywhere. What are you talking about?"

Baekhyun frowned at him. "Jongin told me you packed up and went here...I'm assuming you won't stay here, so you'll probably go somewhere else and--

"I'm just here for a temporary job, Baekhyun." Chanyeol sounded amused, relieved, and Baekhyun didn't miss it.

Baekhyun gazed at him longingly, and Chanyeol was the first one to make a move, stepping closer and closing the distance between them. Baekhyun felt like crying as the familiar warmth that he had grown accustomed to for the past six years engulfed him again. He didn't feel so cold anymore as Chanyeol's large hands caressed his head. He could faintly feel the beating of Chanyeol's heart, and it reassured him that he wasn't the only one whose heart was beating madly.

"I told you, you're stuck with me for life, Baek." Chanyeol whispered, and Baekhyun laughed softly.

He wrapped his arms around Chanyeol's waist, just like how he did back in the days, but this time, it felt warmer and nicer. There was a certain sense of finality in how tight Chanyeol held him, and how his warm breath fanned against the top of his head. Baekhyun rested his chin on top of Chanyeol's shoulder, leaning his head on Chanyeol's and finally letting himself smile.

"You know, Chanyeol...you were wrong." Baekhyun said, and he felt Chanyeol stiffen. Baekhyun hugged him tightly, and Chanyeol relaxed.

"I was?"

"You said somebody new would come into my life and make newer footprints....nobody came."

"Oh, really?" Baekhyun could hear the smile in his voice.

"You've always been here, and I was just too stupid to see that."

Chanyeol laughed and pulled away from the hug, gazing at Baekhyun lovingly. "You're right, you were stupid."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry I hurt you." Baekhyun said softly, and Chanyeol cupped his face, a little nervously. Baekhyun smiled.

"It's okay. You're here now."

Chanyeol smiled back at him, thumb caressing Baekhyun's cheek. Baekhyun closed his eyes as he let the feeling sink in. None of the panic and abandonment he had felt for the past year remained, but instead, a soothing calm replaced everything. His heart beat wildly, but it was a feeling that he gladly welcomed. Chanyeol continued thumbing his cheek, and Baekhyun's smile widened.

"Look, your footprints came from the other end, but it somehow joined mine." Baekhyun commented, looking past Chanyeol's shoulders and grinning at the set of footprints they made. Indeed, their footprints both started out from different locations, but halfway through, were now side by side. Chanyeol hummed in agreement.

"Your footprints are still smaller than mine." He laughed, looking back at Baekhyun.

"...are you going to kiss me now?" Baekhyun laughed at the way Chanyeol blushed.

Reaching out, he hooked his arms around Chanyeol's neck and pulled him down for a kiss. The kiss was already six years late, but he didn't care. They had all the time in the world to make-up for all the lost kisses, dates, hugs and memories and Baekhyun was sure of it. After all, Chanyeol never goes back on his words. He did say that Baekhyun was stuck with him for life, and Baekhyun was going to hold on to that.

 


 

A/N: Hullo~ I  tagged this as angst but halfway through, I realized it wasn't that sad. Lol. Oh well, have some ChanBaek for the holidays~ Happy holidays to y'all! ♥