Appa and Umma Kim

We Can Do This Together
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

January 30 - 12 Weeks

Woohyun had just finished the last question on his homework assignment. Putting his suff away, he noticed the sonogram of their baby sitting on his nightstand. He smiled and carefully picked it up, not wanting to damage or ruin it in any way. He noted every body part he could and a hand went down to his belly.

He looked over at Sunggyu who was lying down on his floor on his stomach, humming a familiar tune with his beautiful skill. Woohyun frowned, "Sunggyu hyung," he called from his spot on the bed, shifting to the edge of the bed. 

The elder looked up from his spot on the floor and away from the phone held in his hands, "Yes?" he asked, sending the last text to Dongwoo before locking and sliding his device into his jean pocket. 

Woohyun pursed his lips before asking the question that has been on his mind, "When will we tell your parents?" his voice shook as he asked. He was honestly nervous on how to tell them. He had met them only twice since his and Sunggyu's relationship began, and they weren't exactly the friendliest. 

Sunggyu pursed his lips in thought. He got up from the floor and joined Woohyun on the bed, wrapping his arm around the younger's waist. Woohyun rested his head on Sunggyu's shoulder, "Well, I'm comfortable with telling them anytime, Woohyun ah, but are you?" he asked looking down. 

Woohyun shrugged against Sunggyu and said, "I don't know. I'm still not comfortable with telling a lot of people, not just your parents," he played with Sunggyu's fingers, still struggling through his vacillating thoughts, "Will they be happy?" 

Sunggyu leaned down and kissed Woohyun's forehead before speaking, "Of course, yeobo. They would love having another grandchild. Jieun already had a kid. She has two right now, what's one more?" a buzz came from Sunggyu's phone and he dug it out of his pocket to read the text he just received. 

Woohyun smiled at the mention of Jieun, Sunggyu's wonderful older sister, as well as her six year old daughter, Aesook, and four year old son, Daeho. He had no problem with the three members of the family. 

"I guess," Woohyun agreed, "But, they don't like me all that much, Gyu. They could accept the baby, but might not me," the pregnant male waited for a response of any kind, but instead he received silence. He turned and lifted his head from its spot on Sunggyu's shoulder to see the elder holding his phone up to his ear. 

Woohyun could hear the dial tone from the device, indicating that Sunggyu was calling someone. Woohyun's eyes widened as he put two and two together, "Wait! I'm not ready yet!" he exclaimed as he tried to take the phone away, but it was too late. 

"Umma!" Sunggyu chirped as his mother answered her own phone. 

"Ah, Sunggyu yah!" his mother answered in her smooth voice, "I'm so happy to hear your voice! What made you call so suddenly?" she sounded absolutely delighted to hear her son's voice after a while. 

Sunggyu smiled and chuckled as he held Woohyun away from his phone, "Umma, I was wondering, well, we were wondering if we could talk to you sometime soon. It's, kind of a big deal," he snickered when Woohyun jabbed his fist into the fleshy part of Sunggyu's thigh. 

"We?" Mieun asked in confusion, oblivious to the whole reason of the call. She was even more confused by the whines and complaints she heard in the background. 

Sunggyu smiled, "Woohyun and I obviously. We have something to tell you," he stated happily into the device. Woohyun finally gave up on his struggle to get the phone away from Sunggyu. It was too late anyway. He sat back, flopping onto his back onto the bed. 

"Oh, well, of course," Mieun answered, sounding uncertain, but happy overall. 

"Great! When is a good time for you to meet? We are free anytime," Sunggyu leaned over and poked Woohyun in the side, earning him a loud laugh to escape from the younger. 

There was a short silence on the other side as Mieun decided when they could come over, "Actually, is tomorrow good? At four possibly? Your appa, noona, and I all have a business meeting at five. That's the only free time we have this weekend."

Sunggyu hopped up, "Perfect, you'll all be there!" he poked Woohyun once more, but Woohyun was prepared and slapped Sunggyu's hand away with great force, "Then we'll see you tomorrow, Umma. Goodbye! I love you!" he bounced around as he said goodbye to his umma. 

Mieun giggled from the other side, "Goodbye, son. See you soon, I love you," with that, she ended the call. 

Sunggyu ended his call as well and slid his phone back into his pocket before scooting over to lie next to Woohyun. He turned to his side to face the younger and rubbed his nose against his neck, inhaling his intoxicating scent. 

Woohyun sighed, "What am I going to do with you?" he asked while leaning into the elder. 

Sunggyu shrugged and said, "I don't know, hardly anyone does," he chuckled at the second sigh that escaped Woohyun's lips. 

 

January 31 - 12 Weeks

"We're almost there Woohyun ah, just hold on," Sunggyu cooed to the younger. They were driving to his parents' house right after school ended. Woohyun was nervous about the whole settling. His nerves caused him to feel nauseous, plus the fact that he was car sick wasn't the best combination. 

Woohyun could only nod as he pressed his head against the cold window and watch the passing environment. Calm down, calm down, calm down, calm down, he thought to himself, keeping down his lunch. 

Pretty soon, Sunggyu parked in front of the humble Kim household. The elder quickly hopped out of the car and ran to Woohyun's side to assist him. 

He opened the door and Woohyun slowly stepped out, reaching out to grab Sunggyu's arm for balance. Sunggyu obliged and helped pull up the pregnant male. 

Once he was on his own two feet, Woohyun spoke, "I think I'm okay. Just, don't leave my side at all, hyung," Woohyun clung to his arm and snuggled up against his warmth in the cold air. 

"I'll do my best," Sunggyu answered, stepping forward towards the front door. 

The house did nothing to calm Woohyun's nerves. He felt his stomach flip as they took their first step on the snow covered porch. He swallowed the choking lump in his throat when Sunggyu reached up to ring the doorbell. 

Not even a second after the rusty bell sounded, the door was flung open and a cheerful and aged face answered it. The unmistakable facade of Kim Mieun. 

"Sunggyu yah!" Mieun shouted happily as she jumped out the door and flung her arms around said boy's neck in a bone crushing hug. Woohyun let go of Sunggyu's arm as to not interfere with the embrace. 

"Umma!" Sunggyu cheered, wrapping his arms around her waist, "Stay inside! You don't even have shoes on!" he lifted the elderly woman and set her back inside the house from her spot on the porch, "You'll catch a cold," he scolded when she was planted firmly on the inside. It was true. The woman was only wearing a pair of white socks. 

Mieun only chuckled and said, "Worrying about old Umma, now?" she smiled and turned her head towards Woohyun. 

Woohyun stiffened and stood alert, bowing ninety degrees in respect to her, "Hello, Mrs. Kim," he straightened up and sheepishly smiled at his boyfriend's umma. 

She wore the same smile, but a different expression was evident in her eyes, unclear and unreadable. She held out her arms as well and Woohyun stepped forward to embrace in an awkward kind of hug. 

"It's been forever, Woohyun ah. You look well," she stated when the two separated. 

Woohyun only nodded in response for lack of something to say, "You too, Mrs. Kim," out of the corner of his eye, Woohyun noticed the face palm Sunggyu committed. 

"Well," Mieun spoke up, "How about we go inside? It's awfully cold and I've made you stand here long enough," she went inside and waited for the two males to enter before closing the thick, wooden door. 

The two males toed off their shoes and shrugged off their coats, "I'll be in the kitchen for a second, be right back," Mieun said as she walked off in the direction of the kitchen. 

Woohyun hung his coat up on an empty hook, "How did I do?" he asked the elder who was doing the same. 

Sunggyu eyed him and answered, "Um, could you be any more awkward? Woohyun, at least try to act comfortable around her. You're good at acting, it should be easy for you," he added the little known fact. 

Woohyun sighed and stated, matter-of-factly, "I can, but not when it is an actual event and I have to at least connect with your umma," he let his hand fall and as it did

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter