Graduation

We Can Do This Together
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

May 28 - 29 Weeks

Today was the day. Finally, it was the day. Graduation. The last time any of the graduating seniors of 2014 would step onto the high school grounds. The day everyone had been waiting for. May 28th, 2014, a day they would all remember for the rest of their lives. 

Woohyun sat in the gym with the rest of his fellow graduates, 342 to be exact. They had already done their graduation practice earlier that morning, having gone outside and sat in the chilly morning and they only went through ten names before sending everyone back inside to put on their caps and gowns. They had the chairs set up like they were outside for all the students to sit and be as comfortable as they could. 

Woohyun sat by himself among the sea of white gowns. Everyone was happily chatting with their friends and making a rainstorm of noise. Woohyun sat by himself relatively. He sat next to people who he had gone to elementary school with, but their friendships were long over. The girl to his right was talking to her boyfriend in front of her, and the girl to his left was talking on the phone loudly and obnoxiously. Woohyun sat quietly to himself with his phone in his hands. He was texting his friends who were graduating today as well and was growing nervous. The entire football field was going to see a very pregnant Woohyun walk across the stage and recieve his highschool diploma. 

Dongwoo was texting him the most. He was always fast to respond and the one who always kept the conversation going. At the moment, he was being hyper and was excited about graduating and was sending about six texts at a time. Woohyun barely had time to respond before he was receiving another two texts about how we was graduating and getting married as well in less than a week. 

Woohyun let Dongwoo ramble on, but he was mostly worried about himself. His eyes were focused on his lap, if he could see it anyway. His round belly was in the way, pushing against his graduation gown with its size. He was wearing the largest size they had, which was double XL. His belly barely had room, and it was the worst when he was sitting down. He had more room standing up, but not enough. It was uncomfortable to say the least. 

Underneath his gown was his outfit. He wore a white, long sleeve button down with a tie and dress pants and a pair of black dress shoes. He was really wearing two layers of clothing, all rubbing together. The heat and the friction on his body was uncomfortable, and he was in an air conditioned building. He still had to go outside in the summer with two layers of clothing and while pregnant. He felt like he was going to die. 

A voice sounded over the gym, but Woohyun was barely listening. He got the gist of what was said, they were all leaving to go outside and sit on the lawn chairs they rented for all the students to sit on. The sea of students started to rise as they stood up and started to file out of the gym. Woohyun was closer to the middle so he had time before he was to stand up. He watched his friends stand up ahead of him and it started to feel real. 

Eventually, Woohyun was standing up too. He struggled a bit more to do so than anyone else would due to his swollen belly. The girl to his right glanced from the side of her eyes and suddenly made a move to help him. She grabbed his arm and lifted him up. Woohyun was a bit embarassed, "Thank you," he sheepishly spoke, smoothing his hand under his belly. Jinkyoung was moving around, awake from her nap. 

"No problem. You looked like you needed some help," she smiled kindly. Woohyun knew her. They were friends in seventh grade, but grew up differently as they liked different things. Her name was Tiffany Nam. She was from California and full blooded Korean, fluent in both Korean and English. She was nice and pretty much everyone knew who she was. 

Woohyun nodded and spoke, "What are you doing after graduation?" the line of students started moving and he followed Tiffany. They were headed out of the gym and out of the school to the football field. 

"I'm going to Cal Tech after this!" she was chipper and excited obviously. Cal Tech was a great school to go to in California and was a great school in general. Woohyun felt excited for her just from her attitude. 

"That's great! I'm so happy that you got in! That's such a great school!" 

"Yeah, what are you doing after graduation? When are you due?" she asked, lightly petting Woohyun's belly. She looked surprised at herself for touching Woohyun but she stayed calm and gently took her hand away after feeling. Woohyun was surprised as well, but he was more used to it since everyone thought he was their personal petting zoo. 

"August 13th. I'll have Jinkyoung and stay home with her for a year, then I'll go to college the next year," he explained. He felt as though he had to validate and explain himself so he didn't seem like he had failed in school. He was going to have a career and he was going to be a good mother to his baby. He wanted to make sure that that was clear even to someone like Tiffany. 

"That's exciting!" she genuinely said, "It's hard to be a parent so young, but I believe you can do it," she encouraged with a smile, "You're a hard worker and I think you will be just fine. And I knew Sunggyu before he graduated. He's a hard worker and I know he loves you. I'm excited for you."

Woohyun smiled and placed his hand on top of his belly, "Thank you," he said. There wasn't much more talking after that as they reached the gates that led to the football field. All the chatter among the graduating students died down to nothing as the excitement of graduating really got to them all. The only noise came from the families in the stands. 

Woohyun felt his nerves betray him as he began to feel anxious about the event. It was a happy occasion yes, but he was also extremely pregnant and clumsy at the moment so the chances of his tripping as he walked across the platform were high. He almost panicked at the idea, not being good for him or even the baby if he were the fall into something. He was completely nervous and was freaking out over everything. 

He stood in the shade from under the bleachers and looked up to see a million feet on top of the bleachers, waiting for the graduating class to finish so they could go and celebrate with their kids. Woohyun just wanted this over with, he was uncomfortable and ready to lie down with Sunggyu. He was ready to spend time with his family today and he wanted nothing more than that.

Suddenly, the classic graduation song started playing, echoing across the entire football field. It was go time, time to graduate. 

Woohyun stepped out from under the bleachers and stepped into the sun. Woohyun was taken aback by the heat. It was hot as heck! It bore down on him, robes heating up and thus heating him up even more with all the layers he had on. He was burning up and he only just stepped out. He still had an hour and a half to sit through, he was going to die. 

The walk there took forever and the students were supposed to go at a fast pace to their seats, but Woohyun was beginning to waddle as Jinkyoung grew bigger and bigger and he was starting to waddle when he walked. He was falling behind Tiffany a bit and the distance was growing larger the farther they walked. He was starting to panic again, thinking he was looking like a fool, so he took larger steps. He was able to catch up and they eventually made it to their seats on the turf. 

The chairs were uncomfortable and hot. As soon as Woohyun sat down, he could feel the heat through his robe and pants. He shifted

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter