Busan

The Replacement

[Isobel]

“I’m home!” I announced as I walk in from the front door into the house. Mrs. Kim quickly walked to my side and grabbed my stuff off me. I bowed my head, and then asked “What’s the big deal? What does my mum need me for?”

“There’s going to be a meeting here in half an hour about one of your companies down in Busan. Your mum wants you to be here when all the board members come around. You have half an hour to clean yourself up and get ready for the meeting. Your brother’s already waiting in your room for you” she explained.

“Why does the meeting have to be here? This isn’t the office.” I asked almost complaining as I roll my eyes.

“Miss Kwon, this isn’t the first time your mum called a meeting here in your home.” She pointed out. I nodded my head and walked upstairs.

.

In less than ten minutes of coming home – I was ready for the meeting. Jiyong-Oppa was still complaining about Ellie-Unnie, but for some unknown reason, that boy from school was still in my head.

“Are you even listening to me?” Oppa asked just when I snapped back into his world. I nodded my head lying, and then focused my eyes on him. “Something’s bothering you, what is it?” He asked. If there was one person in this world who knows me inside and out, it’d be

“Nothing, and don’t go changing the subject. You should just quit being a singer so you and Unnie wouldn’t have this problem anymore.” I teased. He pouted then sighed.

“I don’t want it to come to the point where I have to pick between the two. You know how much I love singing; I’ve been working hard to get to where I am. But you I love Ellie as well; I’ve worked hard for her too.” He replied.

Although Jiyong-Oppa had everything, he didn’t like taking anything without working hard for it. He didn’t want to rely on their wealth because he always says that one day it could all just go away. He liked being independent.

If I remember correctly, he courted Ellie-Unnie for one year and a half because she had so many suitors that he had to prove himself as Jiyong the independent not the Kwon Jiyong who’s the heir of the Kwon Family. Eventually, Ellie-Unnie fell for his charms and his wits, and ever since then – they have become inseparable.

“I just don’t understand why until now she’s still acting like this. We’ve been together for almost five years. I guess I’ll never get girls and their thoughts, or just Ellie and her thoughts.” He complained. I laughed a little but before I could comment on his thoughts, Mrs. Kim came informing us that the meeting was to start soon.

. . .

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah,’ was all I could hear in the meeting. Jiyong-Oppa was paying attention; he seems to be absorbing everything mum was saying.

“And as I said, I’ve already picked out the companies representative who would hold the charities down at Busan. My daughter, Kwon Isobel would be the one to take over one of our foundation in Busan…” Mum announced shocking me. “She’s got experienced with kids, she’s very well organised and she’s been trained to hold events before.” She continued.

Every board member clapped and congratulated me. I was still in shock and confused about the announcement. My mother or father didn’t talk to me about any of it, and from the looks of Jiyong-Oppa, he had no idea of what was happening as well.

“New plans for this branch are inside your entire portfolio, if there are any questions about this please ring my assistant and she will answer any of your queries. Meeting is now adjourned.” Mum continued.

The entire board member bowed their heads as they take an exit from the meeting room.

“Really mum, you’re sending me to Busan?” I started as soon as the last person walks out of the room.

“Yes, I am. Since you’re not even paying attention to your school here, maybe sending you to Busan would help you. Maybe there you’ll finally find whatever it is you are looking for.” She explained.

“And you decided this without even asking me?”

“I don’t need your permission to make a decision for you. This conversation is over, now get your stuff ready, you’re leaving tomorrow morning."