The Wedding Breaker

The Wedding Breaker

 

        It was still dark out when Nina fluttered her eyes open and she came face to face to a breathtaking sight that made her smile wide. Her sleepiness was long gone and she for the first time in her entire life, she woke up feeling light and her feelings were over the clouds. She could feel her heart hammering in her chest and her cheekbones were starting to hurt thanks to the smile on her face.

        She recalled how nervous she was when Kris had pulled her in his room but felt her feelings soar when Kris smiled gently and led her to his bed. When she was seated at the edge of the bed, Kris walked to his huge closet and pulled out some clothes for her to change into. She was sceptical about it at first but he assured her that he wanted nothing more than just lie in bed with her. Blushing madly at his words, she reached for the clothes in his hands and changed in the bathroom. Once changed, she joined Kris who was standing at the balcony of his room, gazing out at the beach behind the house. 

        Kris had turned to her with such a dazzling smile that took her breath away. She let him encircle his hands around her waist from behind. They had stood in silence, holding onto each other, before she felt her eyes drooped and she leaned her weight against his. Kris then carried her inside and gently placed her onto his bed before climbing in and turning off the light. He wrapped his arms around her waist and she tiredly placed her head on his chest, letting his heartbeat be her lullaby. The last thing she heard before she fell asleep was Kris humming her a tune.

        Nina was pulled out of her memory when Kris groaned and stirred in his sleep. She held her breath as he rubbed his closed eyes and released her breath when he resumed sleeping. Unable to content her smile, Nina slowly leaned in and placed a very soft kiss on his cheek. Not wanting to wake him up, Nina slowly got off the bed and walked out of the room, quietly shutting the door behind her. The house was extremely quiet since she was the only tenant awake and she continued to silently make her way downstairs to the kitchen to get a glass of water.

        Upon entering the kitchen, her eyes trailed to the glass sliding door and she stopped in her tracks. The sky was turning brighter as the sign of dawn and she was taken away with the beauty of it. Forgetting the reason why she had came down at the first place, she walked out the glass door and stood at the veranda for a moment before deciding to go down to the beach and enjoy the morning breeze. 

 

 

        Kris smiled at the sight before him. Never before has he realised how beautiful the beach would look like during sunrise until the lone figure standing at the shore entered the scene. It was difficult for him to see her face clearly due to the sun, but it was clear from the oversized T-shirt and pajama pants that it was Nina. Her hair flew with the wind and she would occasionally push it off her face. The cold morning breeze made her rub her arms a few times to stay warm, but she made no move to come back into the house.

        He chuckled at that and walked towards her, a blanket tucked neatly in his arms. Without her realising, he approached her and wrapped her in the blanket, causing her to slightly jump before relaxing in his arms.

        "You're awake already?" her voice rang softly in his early.

        "You weren't there," he replied and he felt her body shook as she chuckled. "Why are you awake so early?"

        "I just woke up. Good thing since I get to watch the sun rise," she replied and leaned her head against his shoulder. "It's so beautiful."

        Kris smiled knowingly to himself. "Yes, it is."

        They stayed like that for a few more minutes before Kris decides that it was time to get back inside. Nina nodded and the two linked their hands together as they slowly made their way back into the house. Kris slid the door shut behind him and sat down at the kitchen table as Nina started on breakfast.

        "What are you making?" he asked as he watched her raid the refrigerator.

        "I was thinking of having some English breakfast," she replied without turning to him. "A simple one though since we don't have enough ingredients for a full breakfast."

        "Fine by me." Nina nodded and took out some eggs, bacon and sausages before turning to the kitchen counter and laying down all the ingredients on it. "Can I help?" he asked and she smiled at him before nodding. Kris got up from his seat and washed his hands before turning to her. "So, what do you me to do?"

 

 

        Mrs. Wu came downstairs to the sound of laughters in the kitchen. Smiling to herself, she made her way over and found Nina setting the tables and Kris standing behind the stove, a spatula in hand. Her jaw dropped at the sight of her son cooking - even though it was just eggs - and she blinked many times to make sure she wasn't hallucinating.

        "Good morning!" Nina cheerfully greeted her and she turned to smile at her son's girlfriend who seems to be exceptionally bright that morning. 

        "Good morning, my dear." she greeted back.

        "Morning, mom!" Kris hollered from the stove and she hollered back a reply. "I hope you like what we've prepared," he told her.

        "We're making English breakfast." Nina informed her. "Come have a seat, mom."

        The elder nodded and sat on the right sight of the table and Kris soon came over with a plate full and placed it on in front of her. "Breakfast is served, madam." Mrs. Wu smiled at his playfulness. Had it been before this, she would've gotten a heart attack. Nina then came with two more plates and she placed one at the end of the table and one at the left where she sat. Kris came back with an orange juice in hand and poured it in their glasses. "It's been a while since we had a full breakfast, huh mom?" 

        His mother nodded and took a sip of the juice before turning back to him. "It has. I think the last time would be when we were in Canada," she replied.

        "When was the last time you were in Canada?" Nina asked, joining in on the conversation.

        "A year ago," was Kris's reply as he grabbed his fork and started eating. "Or less."

        "Less than a year ago," his mother corrected him as she chewed. "A few months before your supposed wedding."

        The two froze for a moment and exchanged glances before slowly resuming eating. Mrs. Wu inwardly chuckled at their behaviour and continued eating, pretending that she didn't notice the nervous glances they shared as they ate. "This is delicious, darling." She praised as she looked up at Nina.

        "T-Thanks. But Kris was the one who fried those eggs." 

        "Which reminds me," she suddenly said and placed her utensils down and turned to her son. "I didn't know you can cook."

        Kris chuckled. "They're just eggs. Plus, who says I can't?"

        "I've never seen you cook before," she accused him.

        "That's because I only cook when I feel lazy to leave the condo and I happen to have food in the fridge," he casually replied, totally aware of the surprised looks on the two. "I usually cook western dishes for myself and sometimes the guys would get a taste of them if they happen to drop by."

        "You can cook and I knew nothing? And you fed your friends but not me? Seriously?"

        Here we go... "I'm sorry, mom, but you never asked. And I hardly drop by at your house too. Besides, even if I do, I want to eat what you cook."

        "But you could've told me and cook for me," Mrs. Wu pouted.

        Nina laughed from the side. "Don't worry, mom. Let's have him cook lunch for us." Mrs. Wu nodded her head excitedly at this and the two lovers can't help but smile at her. 

        "Alright," Kris agreed. "Prepare to be blown away. You're going to love it so much that you'll want me to cook all the time," he bragged.

        "I'll be the judge of that," his mother said with a scoff, earning a fit of laughter from Nina. When the laughters died down, she placed down her utensils and turned to them. "I have something to tell you guys."

        "What is it?"

        "You're father's coming home."

 

 


Hey minions! What do you think of this chapter? Lame? Urgh... I know. I've been so tired and stressed lately that I feel like I'm losing my touch. My imagination's a bit rusty at the moment. Just bear with me okay? Mama's sorry...  *cries*