The Wedding Breaker

The Wedding Breaker

 

        Yup, you're dead alright.

        Nina tried to remain calm as Kris's mother rant out about how unsatisfied she was regarding the wedding incident. Although she did got the honor to witness the CEO of Wu Empire shrink at the sight of his mother complaining about his past activities, she wasn't able to enjoy such experience since they were practically discussing ideas on how to find the culprit and sue her.

        She's practically sitting right in front of her and listening to everything you wish to do to her if she is found. Good luck, Nina.

        "...I wonder who hired her?" Nina snapped out of her thoughts and met eyes with Mrs. Wu. She felt a shiver down her spine at her sharp eyes and gulped nervously.

        "Uhh, w-who?" Way to cover up your tracks, girl.

       "The wedding crasher of course." Mrs. Wu said before reaching for the umpteenth candy in the bowl on the coffee table. Kris frowned disapprovingly at that and removed the bowl away, earning a glare from his mother. But Kris refused to back down and passed the bowl to Nina, who shakingly reached out and put it aside, away from the lady's reach. Upon seeing that, she placed down the magazine she had in her hand onto the seat next to her and sighed.

        "Anyways, when I find both of them, I'll drag them to court and have them behind bars."

        So this is how I die.

        Kris chuckled in amusement at this. "I don't think they'll be put behind bars for such thing. No matter how intriguing the idea is," he added quickly as he took a quick glance at Nina who seemed to pale even more.

        "Not when I have a say in this." Mrs. Wu smirked.

        "You or dad?" Kris challenged.

        "Both of us."

        Kris sighed and turned to Nina as his mother continue to flip through the magazine in her hands. She was pale as sheet, slightly trembling even and he couldn't help but pity her. He knew that she didn't want to do what she did, only doing it as a favor from her friend. Kris scowled at the thought of Yuri asking such thing from her and then leaving her to deal with the consequences alone. He glanced up at her and immediately regretted teasing her though he doesn't know if his mother was serious or not and decided to be a last minute hero.

        "Mom," he called and turned to her. His mother placed down the magazine to look at him. "You must be tired. You said you're staying the night, right?" he asked, getting a nod from her. "Well, let's get you settled then."

        "Hmmm..." was all she said as she shut the magazine and placed it on the coffee table. 

        Kris was kind enough to place a hand on Nina's shoulder to snap her out of her thoughts and slightly smiled to calm her down. Nina frowned in confusion but immediately stood up as she saw Mrs. Wu heading towards the staircase from the corner of her eyes.

        "Go up to your room and I'll see you there." Kris instructed. Nina tiredly nodded and trailed after his mother.

        Upon reaching the top of the stairs, Nina abruptly stopped as Mrs. Wu turned to her with a kind, motherly smile on her face. She managed a small smile in return and mentally cursed herself for being so obvious. However, Mrs. Wu remained oblivious and slowly approached the nervous female. "You're so beautiful," she suddenly said, catching Nina by surprise.

        "T-Thank you."

        "I can see that you're a wonderful girl, Nina. I can't help but feel that you're too good for my son, but I want the best for him. I know he can be quite a handful, but I hope you'll help change him and turn him into a better person."

        "I-"

        "You must know about his old habits, right? Sleeping around with random girls and such?" Nina nodded. "Well, I'm sure he's learn his lesson after the incident and if he doesn't, I'll make sure he does. I didn't expect him to find someone so soon, but I guess I wasn't surprised either. You're different, Nina. I can tell that you are."

        Nina blinked. "I am?"

        Mrs. Wu chuckled softly and nodded her head. "Yes, you are child. I've met a few of Kris's girlfriends or one night stands - whatever he calls them - but he's never introduced them to me and made sure she was present when I'm around. You're the first."

        "I am?"

        "Yes." Mrs. Wu chuckled in amusement now. "I can see that you're surprised at this bit of info. Well, so am I and I can't deny that I like it. I like this small change and I hope you can bring out a better person in him in the future." Mrs. Wu looked past Nina's shoulder and smiled at the sight of Kris coming up with her baggage. "Took you long enough," she teased.

        Kris scowled. "I called Tao to make sure he's sent everything I need for tomorrow's meeting to my office."

        Nina frowned disapprovingly at that. "You know, you shouldn't be bothering him on his rare day off."

        "I can do what I want, whenever I want. I'm the boss, remember that." Kris said arrogantly.

        Mrs. Wu was about to scold him but Nina beat her to it. "Wow, arrogant much? Don't be too conceited, sir, cause you never know when the world turns upside down and rips the title off of you."

        Kris stared at her in surprise and Nina immediately bit her bottom lip. I did not just say that. She turned to the equally surprised lady and glanced around nervously until she heard the lady laugh. Man, was she really in it. She laughed so hard that tears formed in her eyes and she was clutching her stomach with one hand and holding the wall to balance herself with the other.

        "Mom, why are you laughing?" Kris asked bitterly.

        It took her a while to respond to her son's question, but when she did, she had a big smile on her face. "Because she's the first girl I've seen snapping at you. She's a keeper, Yifan." Mrs. Wu said and turned to Nina. "I knew I'd like you the moment I saw you. Well, bed time. I'll see you two in the morning." 

        The other two watched as she disappeared into one of the guest rooms and then glanced at each other, albeit Nina doing so nervously. She then bit her bottom lip and turned to head to her own room.

        "What did she say to you?" Kris suddenly asked, making her turn to him.

        "P-Pardon?"

        "My mom... you two were talking when I walked up. What were you talking about?"

        Nina frowned and shrugged. "Nothing much."

        "Really?" Kris eyed her.

        Nina nodded and bid him good night before scrambling into her room without waiting for his answer. She quietly closed the door behind her and took a seat on the edge of her bed, a hand holding onto her chest. She felt her heart beat uncontrollably due to the pressure she received the whole night. But she didn't know which was worse; the fact that his mother is going to skin her alive when the truth comes out or the fact that she likes her enough to depend on her to change Kris.

        But we're not dating. Well, not until two hours ago when she suddenly popped in on us.

        She sighed. She didn't know what got into her to agree to act as Kris's girlfriend in front of his mother, which - truthfully speaking - is adding more burden to her. She has been desperate to find a way to leave this place though reluctantly and now she has to stay due to the new role she's playing. 

 

 

        Kris walked into the kitchen which smelled rich with coffee and another sweet aroma. He stopped short at the sight of Nina moving about in the kitchen with what seems to be a plate of pancakes in her hands while the coffee brewed on the kitchen counter. Totally clueless of his presence, Nina moved about to prepare the table and placed the pancakes down onto the table. Kris was so immersed in the new scene that he failed to notice her turning and finally noticing his presence.

        "Good morning." 

        Kris blinked and cleared his throat. "Good morning," he stiffly replied and hesitantly walked into the dining area. "You prepared breakfast."

        "Obviously." she muttered sarcastically. She immediately threw him an innocent grin when Kris raised an eyebrow in her direction. "Is your mother not awake yet?" she asked as she took three mugs from the top cabinet and placed them onto the table.

        "She is. But she's on the phone with my dad." Kris replied and took a seat at the head of the table. 

        "Ahh... Are you going to the office soon?" Nina asked as she took a seat on his left. 

        Kris swallowed hard. For some reason, he found it entirely weird that there's someone else other than Tao sitting at the dining table with him. He felt his stomach churn in an odd way when Nina poured coffee for him and even placed a slice of pancake on the plate in front of him. Is this how it feels like to have a wife tending you? he suddenly thought.

        "...want some?"

        Kris blinked and turned to Nina confusingly. She surprised him with the worried look on her face and felt something inside him softened at the sight. What is happening to me?

        "Are you alright?" Nina asked with a worried frown on her face.

        Kris smiled softly and nodded. "Yeah. Uh, what did you say earlier?"

        Nina seemed to not believe him but didn't question him further. "I asked if you wanted the maple syrup to go with your pancake? Or would you rather eat it with honey?"

        "Oh... maple syrup would do." Kris replied. He then felt a tingling feeling in his chest as Nina poured the syrup onto his pancake and threw him a smile. 

        "Eat up or you'll be late for that meeting of yours." Kris nodded and immediately dug in.

        Delicious.

        "Good morning!" The duo looked up to see Mrs. Wu coming in with a smile on her face. She looked fresh from the shower, clad nicely in a purple blouse and black skirt - a simple dressing that neither scream reach or poor. Nina smiled and stood up to greet her while Kris slightly frowned. Mrs. Wu noticed this and immediately dropped her smile. "What? Did I walked in onto the two of you getting busy or something?"

        Nina's eyes widened before her cheeks turned crimson red, and she struggled to hide her blush. Meanwhile, Kris was totally unaffected and simply stared at his mother suspiciously. His eyes followed her movement as she took a seat on his right. He finished munching the remaining food in his mouth and placed his fork down on the plate.

        "Your smile says that something's up." Kris immediately shot and with the surprised look on his mother's face, he knew he was right. "What's up, mom? Weren't you talking to dad earlier? What did he say?" he questioned.

        Nina quietly took her seat again and poured coffee in Mrs. Wu's mug while she smiled smugly to her son. "Yes, I was. Apparently your father has to fly to Canada for an urgent meeting today. His flight leaves at noon."

        "Ooookay?" 

        His mother glared at him and Kris simply shrugged. "Well, he recalled I was supposed to go back to the city today and called in to tell me not to." Both Nina and Kris stopped eating and stared at her. Mrs. Wu mentally smiled at this before dropping the bomb. "So, I'm staying here until he comes back."

 


I don't know if you guys have heard of the bad news that happened yesterday (Sat, 8 March 2014) but a Malaysia Airlines plane had disappeared and had yet to be found. Do take a moment of silence to pray for the missing passengers and their families. Whatever happens, I hope they would return to their families who are anxiously praying for their return. I know no one on that plane, but my heart aches for them. May God be with them always. #PrayforMH370 #MH370 #MalaysiaAirlines