My first swimming class

Shori The Victory

It was refreshing after I took my bath before I head to Johnny. As I was walking out from the entrance, I saw Miyuu-chan was walking with Sou. Grrr, him again? Can I meet somebody else that can make my eyes feel calm and happy to see? Why do I have to see him again out of million people on this Earth?

“Oh, Sato-kun. You’re swimming just now? Aww.. I missed out to see.” She said, standing in front of me.

“Err…heh. Yeah.” I replied. Oh my god. I have to lie. If not she is going to tell everyone in the school if she knows I can’t swim.

“I see. Hehe, okay. See you later Sato-kun.” She bid farewell and I saw Sou was smirking behind her, mouthing ‘good luck’

When I was on my way, I dropped by to have a cup of latte and accidentally hit someone at my back. “I’m sorry.” I said and bowed to her. Her things fell on the floor as she quickly fished everything and bowed to me saying sorry. I helped her to take her things and hand it to but when I was about to see her face, she had her wavy covered her face. Her eyes were covered with shades. 

Just watching her running out of the café and speechless. Maybe she is in hurry but then I saw a piece of paper under my feet. I picked it up and saw it was a swimming class advertisement. Hah….this is a good opportunity since it says ‘you can swim at any age.’ I should give a try and it is not that far from Johnny. Okay.


“Good job everybody. You have worked hard.” I said and bowed to the seniors and other trainees. The clock showed it is almost five. It is enough time for me to go to the club and register for the swimming class. I grabbed all my things and ran towards the clubhouse.

“Am I too late to register?” I said, puffing for air as I slammed my things on the table. Oh..? This table is too high. As high as my chin.

“No. Registration are still open until 6 dear..” said the lady in charge. She gave me a form and I quickly filled every information they need and after that I paid the registration and monthly fee straight away since today is the first day of the month.

“Miss, is the class start today?” I asked.

“No. Since you requested for a private class tutor, your class will start tomorrow and every Saturday from 8-12. Will it be okay if your tutor is a lady?” She asked, looking at me with those eyebrows rose in curiosity.

“I’m okay. As long as I don’t mix up with the amateur or kids.” I said again. The woman plastered a smile and the registration is done as I permitted to go back. I wonder who is going to be my private tutor. Is it a man? A woman? Or a single woman? Or maybe someone is younger than me? Ayyyy, that couldn’t be.. Never mind, I will know it though. Good luck!

-The Next Day-

I got my trunk change and walked towards the indoor swimming pool. The woman said this is the place for me yesterday. While I was peeking from the entrance, I saw a girl is swimming gorgeously for a 500-meter distance. An Olympic size that I could never ever reach to the bottom. The way she swim really make me amaze at how smooth it is. She saw my presence and swim to the corner; climbing onto the stairs. The water dripped from her fringe does really made me stunned as if lights were glooming around her, shining brightly like an angel just got down from heaven.

“Are you Sato Shori-kun?” She asked, wiping her hands with the towel that she grabbed from the chair nearby.

“Y-yeah..” Why am I stuttering? She has the same height as me! It can’t be that she is going to be my…..

“My name is Sakurako Yuuzuki and I’ll be your swimming tutor starting from today. You can call me Sakura or Yuuzuki. But I prefer people to call me Sakura.” She said and reached out her hand.

“Y-Yes, sensei..” I replied and shook my hands with her.

“So, shall we start now? Since you said you wanted for an intermediate class, so I guess you know how to jump from that place..” She said and pointed at the plane. NO! “Let me see your skill towards jumping.” She added, getting ready at the plane to jump into the water. Wait wait wait! I do really take intermediate but jumping into the water is a no-no to me. How am I going to jump into the water when I can’t even walk in a 1 meter deep!

“Sakura sen-sei.. I…I…” I started, standing near the plane, looking at her putting on her goggle.

“Em?”

“I..I can’t swim actually. The truth is I can’t swim and I can’t even walk in water just 1 meter high.” I said again. She became silent and her face was looking down to the water.

“I see. You should have choose beginner instead of intermediate.”

“I know but…but I’m so ashamed of myself because I can’t swim.” I said again, stomping my right foot in frustration.

“Wait me at the corner there.” She said and jumped into the water. It went smoothly and flexible as her reflection in the water made her look graceful. She swim towards the corner and opened her goggle, letting it stay on her head.

“So I guess, we shall start it from paddling then. Come and get into the water slowly. Don’t worry, I will be at your back.” She said. I feel so nervous. My knees started to shake and sweating a lot. I took a seat and slowly put both of my legs into the water.

“Okay. Slowly get into the water and grab the wall. You won’t be drowning in if you hold onto it tightly.” She said while floating.

“O…Okay..” I wanted to become brave and without thinking, I slide into the water and grabbed to the wall of the swimming pool but then my fingers slipped as I drowned in the water. SENSEI! HELP ME SENSEI! I’M DROWNING!

Sakura sensei hugged me from behind and swim up, letting me sit on her lap as I hold onto the wall tightly, choking and panting for air. It was so scary. It is way too scary down there. It reminds me of last time. Sakura sensei patted me at the back, helping me get the water out from my throat. “Are you okay Sato-kun? Why do you slide down so fast? It is dangerous you know. Luckily I’m at the back to help you.” She scolded but her tone was calm and soft.

“Sorry sensei..” I said, still choking.

“Okay, hold onto the wall tightly and I will slowly let go of my leg. At least you can hold longer without drowning.” She said and her hands hold onto my hands as I can feel her hot breath at my neck. It was so close. I can feel she is removing her leg slowly and nothing is beneath me but just water brushing to my loose trunk. Sensei’s hands were still on mine but then she slowly let go and my body started to sink little by little. My fingers grabbed tightly as I pressed hard to the wall.

Yeah.. you can laugh at my position. I look like a retarded wet chipmunk right now, both of my arms were stick closely to my body and I really look like a lizard as my body was like sticking to the wall of the swimming pool. “Sato-kun, try to paddle with your feet.” She said.

“No sensei! I’m scared!”

“You have to try if not it will be hard for you!” Her soft voice is echoing throughout the room and I can say she is quite far from me.

“Sensei please help me! I’m scared if I will get drown again!” I can hear paddles from behind and her hand grabbed to the wall as she is floating right next to my left.

“I’m here.”

I slowly paddle and it is hard. You can feel the pressure on your toes as you paddle to the big amount of water. I…I can paddle in the water! Yay! “Yay! I can make it sensei!” I said in joy, smiling as bright as you can imagine.

“Good job! Let us move forward. Try to paddle on the surface of the water. Still, grab onto the wall.” She said.

“How? I can’t float like you..” I said.

“You must push your lower part of your body up. You can float after that. Trust me.” She said. I tried to pull up but it can only go for a 45 degree, not more than that. “Push it harder. You can do it.” She said.

I tried as hard as I can but then my legs fell back and stick to the wall. “This can’t help. Please excuse me.” She said and get into the water. Sakura sensei pushed my body up and let my body laid on her arms while she was paddling and floated in the water. “Stretch your arms out and paddle.”