158

Red Skys and Royal Cards
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I woke up to the songs of birds from outside. The blaring of my ring tone and vibrating on the side table it was charging on shattered the peaceful morning. Groaning in annoyance I rolled over, taking note of the body I rolled across, and picked up the obnoxious device. Pulling the charging cable from the bottom I accepted the call with a sleep filled, husky voice.

“Get up, Cousin. You have matters to attend to today.” Youngjae’s voice crackled through receiver. “Uncle Aydin updated us on what is happening on campus and told us to take you to where those apprehended are being held. Something about keeping some kid uninvolved and you had to make the decisions on the matter.”

I sat up, rubbing the sand from my eyes with my free left hand. “Already?”

“Yes, Sky.” Youngjae sighed. “We aren’t taking threats to the safety of the Descendant family lightly. Especially with one residing on campus at all times. All our Warriors were mobilized to handle this and contain it as quickly as possible. I’ll come get you at eleven this morning.”

The past few days have been rather uneventful. I was still trying to figure out what to do about the curse and how to break it without risking any of their lives in the process. What L informed my family about was still upsetting and I hoped it got sorted quickly and without any casualties of those I care for.

I haven’t heard anything from my father yet on the matter, but it was only a matter of time before I would hear from him regarding this.

Dad called last night to inform me he would be on campus soon and we would have to talk about something important. Once it was safer for all of us he would be paying a visit to the house, and it didn’t sound like it would bode well for us.

Now I was getting calls from my cousin, who hasn’t talked or acknowledged me since the last incident, about the matter L brought up. Everything was starting to change in my life. Both in my relationships and my responsibilities.

Chaos taking over and I had to find a way to hold on to it or I was going to be swallowed up.

“What going on?” The deep groan emitted from the body I was still half laying across.

I rolled of the boy and stared up at my ceiling. “I have matter to deal with today, apparently. It has to do with L.”

“That kid from last week?”

I hummed in response to Xiumin’s question.

Xiumin had been sleeping in my room since I found out about the curse. We would talk before we fell asleep about what could be done to break the curse and what it meant. We still had yet to have any luck.

I found it calming and reassuring to have him with me. I didn’t know what was going on around me anymore, and I enjoyed having someone close who knew wheat I was going through and could calm me.

Whether it was Xiumin or any one of the other’s it would still be the same feeling. Having the Warriors close to me was more healing than anything else.

I had my final competition match the next day. So long as I won this, I would be top of my class and have won the Competition at the level of the first years in Dealer Combat. I did not care much for the title, but I wasn’t about to lose to Dealers that didn’t know how to fight properly.

 

Youngjae walked into the kitchen where we were having an early lunch with Chen following behind him after letting him into the house. He was dressed in black jeans and a lose fitting red top. A black jacket was pulled on over top and his hair styled away from his eyes. The metal case his Cards were held in hung from a chain woven though the belt loops of his pants.

He surveyed the room and observed each of my Warriors before his gaze landed on mine. “Are you ready to leave?”

I looked up at the clock glowing from the microwave. “I still have ten minutes. I plan to finish lunch first.” I replied going back to the pasta on my plate. “Have a seat and wait.”

“We don’t have time to wait around.” He sighed, frustrated. “This is highly important and you need to see to it as quickly as possible.”

I watched him defiantly as I placed another bite of pasta in my mouth and chewed slowly. He let out a groan as he leaned again the wall. “You need to take your duties seriously if you are going to take your place beside Aunt Aura in the future. I don’t want to fight with you, Cousin, I’m on your side in the end, but could you please cooperate a little since this matter is about the lives of your family?”

Swallowing, I answered back. “I’m not taking anything lightly. I acted quickly as soon as I learned of the danger, but if I wait a few extra minutes to eat I will prolong the terror of those that wit for my arrival. Hopefully properly scaring the one I seek to listen to what I have to say to him. Fear can be a great motivator, and I plan to use a little of it.”

“Stay safe, though.” Kai commented quietly. “Fear only goes so far to control, too much and they rebel.”

I nodded his way as I finished the last of my lunch and stood up. I made my way to Youngjae and waited for him to push off the wall. “Let’s get going, I have to attend to the matter I began and requested to remain a part of.”

Youngjae and I left the house and he fled me through the busy streets of the Academy. We gained many eyes, but none of them spoke a word about the two of us being seen together.

Once again I was led to the Administrative building. I climbed the steps just behind my cousin as he continued to lead the way to where I was to assist with what was going on regarding what L informed me of.

“Are we going through the tunnels?” I asked as we continued along the same path Carter led me.

“You know about them?” He asked in surprise when he stopped in front of the entrance to the underground maze.

I nodded. “Mom’s Warrior brought me here when the instructor was sentenced and executed for breaking Dealer law.”

“I heard you were the sign off, but had no idea you were in attendance.” Youngjae commented. “Yeah, we have to go through the tunnels.”

“Why the tunnels?” We passed through the door and began to make out what through the torch lit, damp, brick corridors. The sound of water dripping from the ceiling in shallow puddles could be heard along with our footsteps.

“Best place to contain and trap those dangerous to society awaiting trial. And if anything were to go wrong they would have very little chance of escape.”

I hummed in understanding before be continued along in silence. I wasn’t sure what to expect as we continued around, but we had already begun to take a different path through the tunnels.

We continued walking through the tunnels, seconds growing in minutes and the minutes never seeming to end. My shoes were soaked to the point I could begin to hear the sqich of my socks in my shoes on each footsteps. Frustrated far more than I should be, I reacted hastily and forced the water out of my socks shoes and all the water on the floor of the tunnel in front of us.

Youngjae jumped and cursed in shock at the blast of water exploding out in front of us. “Are you going psychotic, or is your Ability getting out of control?”

I shot him a glare. “How much longer are we going to be walking through these water covered tunnels?”

Youngjae looked down at his watch. “We’ve been going for about a half hour, so, another forty five minutes, roughly.”

I growled low. “You have got to be kidding me.”

Staring down at the now dry floor and Youngjae’s walking feet, I began to think about the encounter’s I had with L, what he said, the way he looked. Slowly, a fog filled my mind’s eye, beginning to clear as the moving image of L chained to a wall in brick chamber.

Mentally scanning the room he was in I was able to locate his older brother and a dozen other boys and girls I couldn’t recognize. A door led out of the room and I let the picture in my head shift to what lead beyond the door. Another room greeted my vision. It was empty of people and had an open archway that lead further into the tunnels.

As I was picturing the location I wanted to go, I allowed the power and energy to encircle me and encase me to protect me as I moved between places. Reaching out I grabbed hold of Youngjae’s shoulder. Waiting a moment for the protection to cover him before surrenderi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter