Chapter XXIV

Miscalculation

Kyungsoo sat down at his table in art class, where no one else was sitting. It was only day two, and school was wearing on him already. He didn’t like that Sehun wasn’t in any of his classes. He didn’t like that Jongin was, and he was treating him like crap, even if it was just an act. So far, Jongin’s friends hadn’t really talked to him or more than glared his way. So far.

He could see Jongin out of the corner of his eye, and the younger was avoiding him, like everyone else in the class. People knew better than to acknowledge his presence when Kris Wu was in the room. However, today a boy came in when the room had filled, and there were no seats left but the ones at Kyungsoo’s table – some of the boys had even taken chairs from his table and dragged them away, cramming into a space at another table. The boy didn’t seem to notice the awkward tension surrounding  Kyungsoo, and sat down across from him. Kyungsoo tried not to glare at him, but still ended up giving him a frowning stare.

Who are you, and why are you so stupidly sitting there? Kyungsoo hadn’t seen the boy around before. Actually, he had – he was on Kyungsoo’s bus in the mornings for the past two days now, though he hadn’t been the previous afternoon. He also hadn’t been in this class yesterday. He had blond hair, a pretty face, and the aura of a foreigner. Definitely striking Kyungsoo’s curiosity. He didn’t speak until the teacher took attendance and gave them instructions to draw – anything or anyone in the room. There were dozens of objects set up on the back wall to draw for still life, or of course people could draw one another. Kyungsoo was scanning the room for something to inspire him when he heard the boy across from him speak.

“Hey,” he said casually, immediately getting Kyungsoo’s attention. People didn’t say ‘hey’ in Korea. It was a very Western term. “I’m Kibum. My friends call me Key.”

“Key?” Kyungsoo wondered aloud.

“K-E-Y, like the English word for 열쇠,” the boy explained.

“I’m Kyungsoo,” he introduced himself. “You’re not from around here, huh?”

Key shook his head. “I lived in Korea most of my life, but the past two years I’ve been studying in America.”

“That explains a lot.”

“What do you mean?”

“Your nickname, your English slang, your blond hair,” Kyungsoo nodded at the boy’s hair, and Key gave a smile. “And the fact that you sat with me. Most people know better.”

“Why don’t people sit with you?” Key asked. “Are you somehow far scarier than you appear? Because to me, you just look cute and not remotely scary.” Kyungsoo gave him a glare to prove otherwise, and Key raised his eyebrows, impressed. “Alright, you’re a little scary now. So what, do you just glare at people so they stay away from you? Very anti-social. Still cute.”

“Thanks,” Kyungsoo said indifferently. “But that’s not really it. I mean, I don’t like people, but they don’t like me either. The ‘cool’ kids make sure of that.” Key waited for further explanation, and Kyungsoo sighed. “That guy over there,” he gestured subtly towards Kris. “And all his friends, they’re s, and they don’t like me. But since they’re so popular, no one else will go near me.”

“That’s dumb,” Key said. “I’ve seen that happen in America too. It . I don’t really care if they don’t like you, I’ll still sit here.” Kyungsoo just shrugged, and looked back to his blank paper. He needed something to draw. He considered drawing Jongin, but if Kris noticed… that wouldn’t be a good idea.

“Can I draw you?” Kyungsoo asked the boy across from him. Key didn’t answer, just smiled and held up his own paper. On it was the outline of a head, with a couple features and narrow shoulders. Still in the rough work, but Kyungsoo could tell, Key was drawing him. He didn’t even ask. But it was sort of amusing, this weird guy who had come from America and just sort of… did what he wanted. That was also a bit frightening, because he had called Kyungsoo cute, and he didn’t want the guy to try and take advantage of him. Kyungsoo shuddered at the idea, and the memories that accompanied it. Key noticed.

“You alright? It’s not that bad, is it?” He looked at his drawing in mock-concern, trying to find what had offended Kyungsoo.

“No, it’s fine. Just… cold,” Kyungsoo lied.

“Do you want my sweater?”

“That’s okay.” But Key was already sliding the sweater off his arms, tossing it lightly to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo decided to play along and accept it, even though he wasn’t really that cold. It smelled nice, like a faint cologne that somehow seemed foreign.

The conversation continued to flow easily between them, and Kyungsoo was surprised at himself. He couldn’t understand what was motivating him to talk to this boy. He asked him questions about why he’d chosen America, and what it was like there, and why he hadn’t been in class yesterday (it turned out he had a dentist appointment, inconveniently on the first day of school, and so he’d missed the last period of the day). However, when something Key said (a funny story about an experience he’d had in America or something) made Kyungsoo laugh – a little too loudly – Kyungsoo’s eyes trailed to Jongin, who was watching the pair of them enviously. Kyungsoo couldn’t help but think he might, just a little, be using this boy to make Jongin jealous, even if he did find Key was a nice person. And really, it didn’t bother him that much.

But it sure as hell bothered Jongin.

(And even if Kyungsoo had finally told Jongin he’d been using him, and he had admitted to himself that it was a pretty jerk move on his part, he couldn’t help enjoying this. And hey, it wasn’t like Jongin was exactly being nice here either. Kyungsoo could play the game just as well as Jongin. Maybe even better.)

At the end of class, Kyungsoo kept up his act with Key, walking with him to the boy’s locker, and then to the bus with him. He knew Jongin was watching, and he enjoyed the jealousy that practically radiated off the boy.

“These first two days have been so awkward, I’m glad I’ve finally made a friend,” Key said as they stood outside waiting for their bus. Kyungsoo didn’t like the word. Friend. But he didn’t say anything about it. Maybe he shouldn’t encourage Key, but it couldn’t hurt to have someone in his art class when Jongin had Kris. When Kyungsoo would be alone otherwise. And Key seemed nice enough, as long as he didn’t get too nice.

“Bad choice in a friend,” Kyungsoo told him, and Key hit his shoulder lightly, laughing. Then Kyungsoo saw Kris, Jongin, and the rest of their friends heading their way, dropping off Yixing to wait for the same bus as Kyungsoo, and then going to Kris’ car. As they passed, they looked Kyungsoo’s way, clearly annoyed, and Key stepped closer to him in a seemingly protective action. The group laughed, but carried on past the two without comment. Yixing stopped a few feet of way from them, saying goodbye to his friends, and the bus pulled up a moment later. When Kris and the rest were out of sight, Sehun came practically out of nowhere, running towards them.

“Hi Sehun,” Yixing said before Kyungsoo could even open his mouth.

“Hey,” Sehun said, smiling, not even seeming to notice Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo stepped towards him, smacking his arm, maybe a little harder than necessary. Sehun turned, pouting. “Oh, hey Kyungsoo.”

“’Oh, hey’, that’s all I get?” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. “I’m not your best friend or anything.”

“Hello, my dearest Do Kyungsoo,” Sehun said sarcastically. “How have you been in the two hours since I saw you?” Kyungsoo hit him again. “Ow, alright, enough! What are you wearing, anyway?” Sehun picked at the sweater Kyungsoo was wearing – Key’s. He’d forgotten he’d been wearing it.

“It’s Key’s,” Kyungsoo told him, looking back at the blond boy who was getting onto the bus. Kyungsoo followed him, and Sehun trailed after them.

“Who?”

“Key,” Kyungsoo repeated, pointing at the boy and shedding the sweater. Key took a seat, and Kyungsoo sat down behind him, handing him the sweater. “Here, Key. Sorry, I forgot I was wearing it.” Key turned around, taking it with a smile.

“It’s cool,” Key assured him. “I don’t mind. It looks good on you.”

Sehun squished in beside Kyungsoo, giving the two a strange look. And, without Jongin to show off around, Kyungsoo was less enthusiastic about accepting Key’s compliments. But he smiled half-heartedly anyways.

“Kyungsoo.” Kyungsoo glanced over to see Yixing, a seat ahead and across from him, giving him a curious look. The Chinese boy laughed a bit. “You’re making Jongin mad.”

“Am I?” Kyungsoo asked innocently. Already? Kyungsoo tried not to let his amusement show. “I’m not allowed to make new friends?”

“Is he one of those guys?” Key asked quietly, staring at Yixing. “The ones who hate you or whatever?”

“Sort of,” Kyungsoo said. “He’s alright.” Kyungsoo glanced at Sehun. “He’s sort of dating my best friend.”

“Yah, he is not!” Sehun yelled. Key smiled, and so did Yixing, making Sehun blush. “Why are you telling this guy everything?”

“I’m not,” Kyungsoo said indifferently. “You’re awfully defensive about it though.”

“It’s cool,” Key put in. “I mean, if you two are dating.”

“We’re not!” Yixing was laughing as Sehun defended himself, and both Kyungsoo and Key were enjoying the whole ordeal immensely.

“Sehun-ah wouldn’t date me,” Yixing explained teasingly. “He’s going to spend the rest of his life alone because he got his heart broken, and now he doesn’t want to be with anyone else ever again.” Kyungsoo nodded in confirmation, and Sehun started telling them off again, making the group laugh.

“Seriously though,” Kyungsoo said. “Sehun thinks his fine was only made for one man’s , and he won’t allow anyone else’s near him.”

“It wasn’t you, was it Kyungsoo?”

“No, I would never date this jerk. Kyungsoo has a boyfriend.” Thanks for selling me out, Sehun. Kyungsoo frowned, wondering if that would put a chip in his plan to use Key to make said boyfriend jealous. Key, more than anything, seemed surprised at this information.

“You have a boyfriend, Kyungsoo?” Kyungsoo nodded slowly, internally cursing Sehun. “Wow. Korea changed a lot while I was gone, huh?”

“What?” Sehun asked, confused.

“I’ve been in America the last two years, and they’re pretty cool with the whole gay thing. But, Korea was always… I dunno, against it.”

“It’s still like that,” Kyungsoo assured Key. “But some people are okay with it. Mostly, the people who are gay.”

Key laughed. “Yeah, I guess that would make sense. I can’t say I’m surprised you’re with someone,” he added. “You’re so cute, if you weren’t dating someone, I’d probably end up asking you out myself.” He looked a bit disappointed at the lost opportunity.

“Don’t be trying anything on him,” Sehun said immediately, glaring.

“I – well, yeah I might have tried something,” Key admitted. “But he’s dating someone, so I wouldn’t. I’m not a jerk like that.” Okay, so maybe it wasn’t so bad that Sehun told him about Jongin. He might have just saved Kyungsoo from trouble down the road.

They kept on the topic of dating for a while – Key telling them about a few of the people he dated in America, both boys and girls, while Yixing and Kyungsoo awkwardly had no input because they had never dated anyone before, and Sehun didn’t really want to talk about Luhan still. Eventually, each of their stops came, and soon Kyungsoo was alone, getting off at his own house.

He didn’t think to check his phone until he got into his bedroom, and then he was facing the wrath of an angry, jealous boyfriend. Six new messages, ten missed calls. Kyungsoo was surprised Jongin had refrained so well.

Who is he??”

“You’re wearing his sweater… Why~ ㅠㅠ”

“Hyung, really... What are you doing… Why are you acting like this ㅠㅠ”

ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ Kyungsoo, why are you being so mean to me? Where are you going with him, he’s going on your bus with you? Why~ What are you doing hyung……”

“Yixing says he’s flirting with you. Yah, why aren’t you answering me…”

“You’re breaking my heart, hyung. Who is this guy you’re being so close to… I love you, but you’re hurting me, why is it like this…”

Good lord. Kyungsoo felt nauseous at the drama Jongin was making this out to be like. He sighed, typing back a quick message.

Why are you being so over-dramatic, seriously? He’s just a guy in our art class who takes the same bus as me.”

Though there was ten minutes between Jongin’s last message and Kyungsoo’s first, Jongin replied almost immediately, which made Kyungsoo roll his eyes because he knew that meant Jongin was staring at his phone, waiting for Kyungsoo’s answer. What if he hadn’t answered? Would Jongin have waited all night and gone to bed disappointed? Ugh, Kyungsoo couldn’t deal with that amount of clinginess, really.

Why didn’t you answer me? ㅠㅠ”

“Stop being a baby. I just checked my phone when I got home.”

“You were wearing his sweater… Why were you being so close to him?”

Ugh. Ugh, ugh, ugh. Kyungsoo wanted to reach through his phone and hit the younger boy. “It’s called a friend, Jongin. You should know, you have lots.”

Is that what this is about? I’m sorry, babe, I’m working on it, really <3”

It’s not about anything. I just made a friend.” That wasn’t entirely true. But he really didn’t want to have to deal with this anymore, like wow, Jongin was annoying when he was jealous. It was very discouraging of Kyungsoo’s plan. It wouldn’t be any fun to make Jongin jealous if he was just going to be like this about it. Kyungsoo would have to figure out a way to get him not to be so whiny, while still being envious. This was a challenge he would (mostly) enjoy tackling. And he had a few ideas that might work.

I’m happy you made a friend, just… you seem so close already..”

“Because he’s nice. And he didn’t seem to care that I’m not.”

“You are. You’re the only person who doesn’t think so.”

“Haha -.-”

“Love you.”

“That’s nice.”

ㅠㅠ I’m the only one allowed to love you.”

“I have no control over that.”

“I do.”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. “You’re not allowed to beat up people just because they’re nice to me. That’s not an encouraging message to send out.”

Jongin continued to text him, but Kyungsoo ignored his phone, focusing on his homework. It was only the second day, so there wasn’t much, but he was still done in half an hour. He decided to draw, because he wanted – and needed – to build up his art portfolio. The art teacher had asked that they all bring in at least some of their portfolios to show her, so she knew where everyone was at in terms of skill. Not that Kyungsoo didn’t already have a ton of artwork he could bring in, but it couldn’t hurt to have more. He didn’t even realize how long he was working for when his mom was calling him for dinner, and then as soon as he was done eating, he went right back to drawing. It was nearly eight o’clock when he finally pulled himself away from his desk to go take a shower and get ready for bed. Then he spent an hour or two reading and finishing a book he’d been working on, and went to sleep. Life was back to its normal, uneventful self.

Kyungsoo didn’t enjoy it as much as he used to.

The next few weeks went more or less the same, and Jongin was somewhat out of control with his jealousy because of Kyungsoo’s blossoming friendship with Key. Although Key was a year older, he sat at their lunch table with Kyungsoo, Sehun, and Joonmyun. Joonmyun even had a class with Key, so they got along well. Only Sehun seemed discouraged about the foreign boy, but Kyungsoo figured that could be expected from Sehun, being the bratty maknae he was. Key and Kyungsoo got along, although they only spent lunch and last period together, not getting together after school or anything. Jongin (and sometimes Sehun) was still the only one who had that privilege.

Dealing with Jongin was difficult. He really didn’t like Kyungsoo’s interactions with Key, no matter how much Kyungsoo dismissed them. And since the complaining drove him nuts, Kyungsoo decided he would do things for him to show how much he liked Jongin, and not Key. He said that every day he went without whining, Kyungsoo would reward him. It was easy enough to please Jongin – Kyungsoo could make him a cupcake and Jongin would love it. But Kyungsoo tried to go beyond that too, trying to do things that would really make Jongin happy, things that he could only do for Jongin. He had to push himself, but he knew his boundaries would have to be redrawn if he wanted to really play with Jongin. His rewards became ual favours and make-out sessions where he would allow Jongin to take control until Kyungsoo felt they were going too far and would stop them. And despite Kyungsoo’s reluctance to have with his boyfriend, he could tell from the look in Jongin’s eyes, from the way the boy became so serious and desperate when they made out and things would heat up, that Jongin really, really wanted it. Jongin wanted Kyungsoo, wanted to take him in every way and he was being driven out of his mind with lust. Jongin had told him he hadn’t had with anyone in a year now, waiting for Kyungsoo to be ready. Which Kyungsoo wasn’t. And he didn’t think he ever would be, and he didn’t know how to tell Jongin that at all. He wanted to sleep with him, if only to make Jongin happy (which was saying something, because it was never in Kyungsoo’s interest to make someone else happy), but he was also terrified at the idea of how wrong it could go. If it turned out like before… No. Kyungsoo really couldn’t handle that. He was trying, truly. Around the end of September, he finally – finally – grew the courage to go down on Jongin, which was scary but for the most part went well. (The only issues Kyungsoo faced was Jongin’s hips ing and choking him. It, of course, wasn’t on purpose, but it gave him flashbacks anyway and almost made him pull away. He managed to bear it and finish the boy off, only to nearly be sick at the taste of Jongin’s . After that, he’d had to brush his teeth until his gums were bleeding, and wash out his mouth with mouthwash for a solid two minutes before going to bed and having nightmares that woke his whole house up with his screams. It was hard to go down on Jongin after that.) Okay, maybe it wasn’t entirely well. And he couldn’t imagine having would end up being any better. For Jongin, sure, of course it would be good for him. For Kyungsoo, it seemed like torture.

One night, he decided to bring it up to Jongin. They were lying in Jongin’s bed, the same bed that Kyungsoo had had in for the first and last time, and Kyungsoo had pulled away from Jongin as they started reaching levels of uncomfortable passion while kissing. Naturally, Jongin’s desire was making Kyungsoo feel guilty.

“Jongin-ah…”

“Yeah?” Jongin’s fingers twisted into his, and he pulled Kyungsoo up onto him, looping an arm around his waist. “What is it, hyung?”

Kyungsoo glanced up at his eyes, then lay down, resting his cheek on Jongin’s shoulder. “Do you think you should be with someone else? Maybe not – not all the time, but just sometimes? Or maybe, at parties, you could find someone to be with. I don’t know…”

“What are you even saying?” Jongin’s voice was full of disbelief. “What is that supposed to mean?”

“I know you want to have , Jongin, and I’m afraid I won’t ever want to. So if you wanted to go be with someone else… I think that would be good, don’t you? Instead of getting into it and then having me back off when we go too far.”

“I don’t want to have with someone else, hyung,” Jongin said firmly. “I’d rather never have again than have with someone who wasn’t you.”

Kyungsoo sighed, frustrated. “You say that now, but what happens when you reach your breaking point, and you go off with someone else? Or…” Kyungsoo bit his lip as a thought occurred to him. “Or you get tired of waiting for me to say yes…”

“Don’t say that!” Jongin gasped. “I would never, ever, ever even touch you without your permission. I don’t care if I hadn’t had human contact in twenty years, I still wouldn’t touch you if you didn’t want me to! I’m not going to you, hyung. I’ll wait until you’re ready.”

“What if I never am, though?” Kyungsoo shot at him, looking up and pushing himself away from Jongin slightly. “What if I’ve become aual and never want to have again? If you want to have , then you should, Jongin. Go to a party, get drunk and enjoy yourself, honestly. I don’t want to be holding you back.”

“You’re not holding me back,” Jongin said with a sigh. “This relationship isn’t just about for me, you know.”

“Yeah, but it would make you happy,” Kyungsoo mumbled.

“What makes me happy is knowing you’re happy,” Jongin told him. Kyungsoo frowned at his cheesiness. “It might sound corny, but it’s true. We already do a lot without having . If you ever do want to have , I’m willing. We’ll take it easy, if you want it. If not, what we have now is fine, hyung, honestly. I’m lucky to just have you at all.”

“You’re really not,” Kyungsoo assured him.

“I’m gonna keep you anyways,” Jongin smiled. “If you’ll let me.”

Kyungsoo gave up, lying back down on Jongin comfortably. “I guess so.”

“Hey, Kyungsoo?”

Kyungsoo tuned in, focusing his gaze on his blond friend. “Huh?” Oops, he hadn’t been paying attention at all – busy working on his painting as they sat at their table in art class – and he had a feeling Key had asked him something. Maybe not. He didn’t know. He really should stop zoning out so much.

(It wasn’t his fault he hated reality as much as he did.)

“There’s this thing.”

“Wow,” Kyungsoo said. “It sounds awesome. Definitely not vague at all.”

Key laughed. “Shut up and let me explain, without being sassed.” Kyungsoo grinned and waited. “It’s kind of like a… concert, show thing.”

“Are you asking me on a date?”

“No! Can you not interrupt me for five seconds?”

Kyungsoo chuckled. “Sorry hyung. My lips are sealed.”

“Damn right, they better be,” Key mock-scowled. “Okay, anyway. It’s just like this thing where you can sign up and do something. Sort of like a talent show but it’s just… I dunno, there’s no prize or anything, it’s just part of this like festival thing, just for entertainment or whatever, you know? And I wanted to be in it, but I was hoping someone would go in with me. Are you any good at singing?”

“Kind of,” Kyungsoo said slowly. “You want me to be in a talent show with you?”

“It’s not a talent show, it’s just like… an open concert kind of thing where people showcase the things they’re good at.”

“So… a talent show.”

“Didn’t I tell you to lay off the sass?” Key said sternly, before laughing. “Okay, but would you go with me?”

“Why don’t you ask Joonmyun?”

“I did, he said no.”

“Well, he .”

“If you say no, that means you too,” Key pointed out.

“I do anyway.”

“That’s more than I need to know.”

“Yah!”

Key ducked, dodging Kyungsoo’s hand as he went to smack him. “Will you do it with me or not?”

“It’s not really my kind of thing,” Kyungsoo sighed.

“Ugh! Why did I even become friends with you?” Key groaned. “I hate you. That’s all I’m saying.”

“Sorry,” Kyungsoo shrugged. “Actually, I think Sehun was talking about it the other day. I dunno, I was tuning him out-”

“As always.”

“-but I think I remember him mentioning it at some point. He was gonna dance in it, with Yixing or something, I don’t know, he talks way too much for me to care.”

“I seriously don’t understand how you two are even friends,” Key scoffed. “You both seem to hate each other far more than you like each other.”

“I’m pretty sure that’s the definition of best friends,” Kyungsoo noted. “Anyway, when is this thing?”

“Like a month. November 5th. If you won’t go in it with me, we should at least go to the festival. You can bring your mystery boyfriend.” Key still didn’t know who Kyungsoo was dating. It wasn’t that Kyungsoo was keeping it a secret so much as he just wanted Key to try and figure it out (and he was doing a really bad job at it. They’d been friends for a month now, and Key still hadn’t gotten him yet. However, during the past month, they’d become pretty good friends; Key – who was much less nice than Kyungsoo had originally thought and far more of a sarcastic diva – was on pretty equal levels of sass with Kyungsoo, and this seemed to be a good bonding glue for them. Kyungsoo just really liked him, like an older brother – or maybe, more accurately, sister – he’d never had). Key was slowly being driven to madness trying to figure out the boy Kyungsoo was in a relationship with, and Kyungsoo was pretty sure the only way he would find out was if he told Key himself.

“I’ll talk to him about it. I’m sure he’ll be impressed to know you’ll be there.”

“Hey, he doesn’t have to come.”

“If he had to choose between being with you, or leaving me alone with you, I know for a fact the former would be his immediate option, as much as he would hate it. He’d rather get to shove it in your face how I belong to him than be stuck paranoid for the whole night that I might fall in love with you hanging out with you alone for a night.”

“He really seems crazy,” Key pointed out, as he had a million times before. “Crazy possessive boyfriends who get jealous easily are the worst.”

“He’s annoying,” Kyungsoo agreed. “But I like him anyway.”

“You’re not just with him because you’re afraid to leave him, right?”

“No. He’d be far more devastated than me if we broke up,” he said certainly. “I have more control in this relationship than he does.”

“’Cause you’re a badass who don’t need no man?”

Kyungsoo snorted. “I don’t even know you. Don’t speak to me ever again.”

“You love me and you know it,” Key smirked.

“Only on Thursdays,” Kyungsoo quipped, a line Key always said, though Kyungsoo didn’t know why. Key said he’d picked it up in America. They both grinned at the sort-of inside joke they had.

On the other side of the room, Jongin was pouting.

A/N: Aish, what even was this chapter? ㅠㅠ Intro of a new character plus Keysoo bro interactions. Key is totally Kyungsoo's gay best friend (even if Sehun is actually his gay best friend). Also, complications of Kaisoo - there cannot be progress without drawbacks with these two, ugh. Anyways, I'm sorry I've been so busy lately, and haven't been able to write ㅠㅠ I will be able to write more once the holidays hit (aka, next week ^^). Thanks for all the subs and upvotes and everything! <3