A Turn of Events?

The Perfect Two
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Over the weeks Taeyeon and Tiffany’s relationship blossomed. Taeyeon was happier, a little less afraid and tiny bit more daring. However, she still had the lingering insecurities that Tiffany would leave her at any minute. Tiffany was the best thing that had ever happened to her and she wondered how she had survived those difficult times without having the girl by her side. Mr and Mrs Kim could clearly see the changes in their daughter and suspected something was going on between Taeyeon and Tiffany. They did not question anything though for they were overjoyed to see Taeyeon slowly opening up again.

 

Taeyeon often felt guilty. Tiffany was too good for her, Tiffany deserved someone better. She never gave Tiffany anything yet she had received so much. Tiffany’s birthday was coming up this Saturday and Taeyeon wanted to do something for her girlfriend, but she had no idea what. She wasn’t a romantic person by nature so planning the perfect birthday event, to her, was harder than finding a cure for cancer.

 

[What do you and Jessica do when you hang out?] Taeyeon messaged Yuri.

 

[Go shopping, see movies, I go over to her house and she comes over to mine, sometimes I take her out for a drive] Yuri replied.

 

Taeyeon read Yuri’s message over and over again feeling her heart sink more each time. She couldn’t do any of those things. Go shopping and see movies? There would be too many people around and she would definitely have an episode. Go over Tiffany’s house? That seemed reasonable but if Tiffany’s dad were to be there she couldn’t predict how things would turn out. And Tiffany had come over to her house way too many times so that wasn’t special anymore. Drive? Taeyeon didn’t even have her learner’s permit yet.

 

[We went to the amusement park once, afternoons in the park are great when the weather’s cool or my favourite – naps together on a lazy afternoon, you know how much Sica likes sleeping :) ]

 

Taeyeon sighed why did she have to be so difficult? If she were Tiffany she would never date herself.

 

[You want to do something with Tiffany?] Yuri asked after Taeyeon never texted back.

 

[Yeah, her birthday’s this Sat, but you know I can’t do any of those things…]

 

[I can’t go on normal dates]

 

[I can’t do anything right…].

 

Yuri frowned when she saw Taeyeon’s depressing messages.

 

Yes you can, I’ll make sure you can.

 

Yuri sat up and began dialing a few numbers.

 

***

“Are you sure you don’t want any help?” Yuri sat on the kitchen stool, munching on an apple, while Taeyeon struggled with the cake batter, the flour flying in all directions as the the electric mixer.

 

Taeyeon broke into a coughing fit as she was enveloped in the cloud of flour, Yuri quickly leant over the bench flicking the off switch.

 

“Positive.” Taeyeon waved her hands up and down to clear the flour, shaking some out of her hair. “It’s for Fany and I want to make it myself.”

 

“Should I be jealous that you’ve never baked anything for me before?” Yuri threw away the apple core and began wiping down the flour-covered table-top with a washcloth.

 

Taeyeon stopped dusting the flour from her clothes and turned to face Yuri with furrowed eyebrows.

 

Yuri laughed at Taeyeon’s guilty expression.

 

“Just joking, I’m not that petty.”

 

Taeyeon grinned and resumed folding the batter with a wooden spoon before attempting to use the electric mixer again.

 

 Yuri opened the cupboard pulling out a large bowl of her own.

 

“I think I’ll try baking something for Sica too.”

 

***

 

Saturday came and Taeyeon paced back and forth in front of the door waiting for Yuri, who enthusiastically volunteered to be her chauffeur for the day.

 

She heard the sound of a car horn beeping and quickly bolted out the door after bidding her mum and sister goodbye.

 

“Good morning Miss Kim, Kwon Yuri, your personal driver at your service.” Yuri grinned and opened the car door for Taeyeon.

 

“Hi Yul. Thanks for everything.” Taeyeon smiled.

 

“Anything to help my cuz get her girl.” Yuri winked.

 

Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

 

“Flowers?” Yuri pointed. “And you said you were hopeless at romance.”

 

“Umma’s idea. I got up early and picked them from the garden, wrapped them myself.” Taeyeon said proudly.

 

“As if the cake wasn’t enough.” Yuri teased and reached for the box Taeyeon was holding. “I’ll put it in the front so Tiffany doesn’t see it.”

 

“So how do I look?” Taeyeon the spot.

 

Yuri placed her hand on her chin and narrowed her eyes, scrutinising Taeyeon’s choice of clothes. “Definitely not my style…” Yuri circled Taeyeon once and stopped in front of her. “…but pink perfectly suits Tiffany’s taste.” That was all Taeyeon needed to hear.

 

“To Tiffany’s house?”

 

“Yes please.” Taeyeon nodded.

 

Yuri pulled up outside Tiffany’s apartment building and turned to face Taeyeon in the back seat.

 

“Would you like me to go up and get her or is she coming down?”

 

Taeyeon slumped in her seat. She would have loved to personally go up to Tiffany’s apartment herself. She imagined herself standing nervously outside the door, finger poised on the doorbell and then pressing it once the clock struck exactly 9 o’clock. Then the door would open and she would be greeted by the brightest of eye-smiles. She would then present Tiffany with the bouquet of flowers and compliment Tiffany on her choice of dress. Tiffany would then take her hand and they would walk down to the car together, exchanging shy glances along the way.

 

“She’ll come down.” Taeyeon put her phone away after texting Tiffany.

 

“One day Taeng, one day you’ll be able to march up there and pick her up yourself.” Yuri cheered.

 

One day…

 

Yuri hopped out of the car and waved as she saw Tiffany approaching.

 

“Hi Yuri?” Tiffany tilted her head to the side puzzled why Yuri was here.

 

“Happy Birthday miss Hwang. I’m driver Kwon, your chauffeur for the day.”

 

“Wow, thanks.” Tiffany smiled.

 

“She’s nervous and a bit moody because she couldn’t personally go up and pick you up at your front door.” Yuri whispered and then opened the car door gesturing Tiffany inside.

 

 “Hi.” Tiffany greeted Taeyeon, taking a seat on the far side of the car. “Is this seat taken?” She pointed to the empty space beside Taeyeon.

 

“…” Taeyeon was speechless for a moment as she took in the sight of the girl before her, the girl whom she called her girlfriend. “Blue.” She said the first thing that came to her mind as her eyes ran down the length of Tiffany’s baby blue dress.

 

Tiffany chuckled. “Yes, blue. Your favourite colour…and pink, mine.” Tiffany eyed Taeyeon’s shirt, before taking Taeyeon’s hand and intertwining their fingers.

 

The warmth of Tiffany’s palm snapped Taeyeon out of her stupor and she quickly picked up the bouquet of flowers from her lap.

 

“H-happy Birthday Fany.” She blushed and held the bouquet in front of her face trying to hide her rosy cheeks.

 

“Aww, they’re lovely. Thanks boo.” Tiffany took the flowers from Taeyeon.

 

Boo.

 

When she first heard the word she had to look up what it meant. Now, it had to be one of her favourite terms of endearment. Tiffany was always inventing new nicknames for her. However, she still liked it best when Tiffany called her “Taeyeon-ah”, just the way it was said, Taeyeon could feel she was loved.

 

“She woke up early, picked them from the garden and arranged them herself.” Yuri said.

 

“Yul.” Taeyeon warned, that was something Tiffany didn’t need to know.

 

“Really? I love them even more!” Tiffany leaned over and kissed Taeyeon’s cheek.

 

***

 

“Taeyeon-ah, are you sure about this?” Tiffany voice was laced with worry as the car rolled to a stop in front of the amusement park. The park would be teaming with people, especially on the weekend, and Tiffany was concerned that it would be much to overwhelming for Taeyeon.

 

“I’ll be okay.” Taeyeon squeezed Tiffany’s hand but the gesture didn’t do much to dampen Tiffany’s apprehension.

 

Taeyeon stepped out the car first and pulled Tiffany out behind her. Tiffany found it strange that the park was so quiet.

 

 “Ah, I see.” Tiffany’s worries left her when they entered the park which was devoid of people, courtesy of Taeyeon’s father, who rented the whole park out at Yuri’s request. Mr Kim did not even question why for he was much too overjoyed to hear that his daughter would be spending the day outside of the house. 

 

Tiffany would have been angry if Taeyeon had deliberately wasted money and rented the whole park out just for her but Tiffany knew that Taeyeon needed things to be this way. She was determined that the next time they visit, things would be different.

 

“I hope you like thrill rides.” Taeyeon pulled her in the direction of the roller coaster.

 

“My favourite kind.” Tiffany quickened her steps.

 

“Welcome.” The female staff member greeted the couple. “Taking your girlfriend out on a date?” she asked Taeyeon who quickly hid behind Tiffany’s back, shying away from the stranger. Thankfully, Yuri had requested the park to only have female staff working for the day.

 

Tiffany glanced over her shoulder seeing Taeyeon with her head lowered. She reached both her hands behind her back, circling Taeyeon’s waist before clasping her hands together behind Taeyeon’s back.

 

“Yes we’re on a date, a birthday date!” Tiffany answered for Taeyeon, smiling as she felt Taeyeon’s arms knotting around her own waist.

 

“Aigoo, look at you two, joined at the hips.” The lady teased. “Now where would you like to sit?”

 

“Definitely the front seat.” Tiffany pulled Taeyeon along with her.

 

Tiffany let Taeyeon take a seat first, on the far side, so that there was a distance between Taeyeon and the female staff member. She pulled the safety bar down over the girl before doing the same for herself.

 

Taeyeon frowned and gripped the safety bar tightly, silently berating herself for not being able to take care of Tiffany.

 

“Make sure to kiss for the camera. Free movie tickets if the kiss gets captured.” The lady winked as the cart began to move.

 

“Woohoo.” Tiffany raised her hands in the air as the train slowly crept up the slope.

 

Taeyeon remained silent.

 

“Hey.” Tiffany placed her hand over Taeyeon’s. “Smile please, it’s my birthday.” Tiffany reminded.

 

Taeyeon turned to face Tiffany with a slight tug on the corner of her lips.

 

“I know you can do better than that Taetae.”

 

Taetae.

 

That was new.

 

“Taetae?” Taeyeon repeated.

 

“Yes, doesn’t it sound cute? I thought of it last night. Uh oh, here we go.” Tiffany grabbed Taeyeon’s hand and lifted it above their heads ready for the descent.

 

Taeyeon flashed Tiffany a toothy smile and raised her free hand, her moodiness quickly dissipating at the knowledge that she occupied Tiffany’s thoughts at night.

 

The roller coaster slowly came to a stop and the safety bars were released. They both enjoyed the ride immensely, loving the feeling of being airborne and having the wind in their hair.

 

“Aww, sorry girl’s you missed the camera.” The lady held pointed to the screen showing a photo of the two just moments before they kissed.

 

“Aish, it was so close too.” Tiffany sniggered as she replayed the kiss in her mind. It had been a difficult task that had them both in a laughing fit afterwards. Kissing while travelling at more than 200 kilometres an hour wasn’t an easy feat, Tiffany lips ended up on the tip of Taeyeon’s nose and Taeyeon’s lips on her chin.  

 

“Again?” Taeyeon whispered.

 

Tiffany turned to Taeyeon and nodded.

 

Tiffany could still feel the butterflies in her stomach as the ride ended. For sure they had succeeded this time. She could still feel the warmth from Taeyeon’s palms on her cheeks where the girl had held her face in place as she leant over for a kiss, her lips were still tingling. Assertive Taeyeon was always the best Taeyeon.

 

“Congratulations, the movie tickets are yours and I’ve printed out a copy of the photo for each of you.” The lady held out an envelope.

 

“Thank you.” Tiffany beamed.

 

“Enjoy the rest of the rides.” She waved.

 

***

 

“Cotton candy!” Tiffany shouts and points to the stand.

 

They both made their way over to the cart, Taeyeon standing closely behind Tiffany as the girl made her order.

 

“Can I please have a pink one please?” Tiffany said but the two ladies had their backs turned to them.

 

“Ummm, excuse me.” Tiffany raised her voice a little louder.

 

“Yes. It’s coming.” The shorter of the two staff said still with her back turned.

 

“Yah, you’re doing it all wrong.” The short girl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter