Chapter 40 - Words

Monkey Love Fishy II - Forever and Always

K POV

            Donghae told me the time and place and all we had to do was go there. I’ve decided that for the sake of Eunhyuk’s sanity, I don’t tell him anything but I also knew that this plan could backfire on me. “Yoona, you keep his mind off of this. I don’t want him asking questions.”

            And so while Yoona went to take him around the city, I called Donghae.

            “Tell me all the details.”

            “I don’t think I’m ready for this,” he was panicking.

            I was ready for this, anticipated this and this was why I had sent Eunhyuk away. “Lee Donghae, you breathe. You made a promise and you are going to keep that promise. Five months ago, you made this decision and now you are going to stick to it.”

            He hesitated. “I don’t know if I can do this.”

            “You can, and you will,” I ordered him.

            “Okay. Rockefeller Center. I will see you soon. Is he mad at me?”

            “For good reason.” And before he could further protest, I shut off.

            It was going to be hard work getting the two of them together but that was okay. I knew Eunhyuk was willing to reconciliate. And now I just had to get them together.

D POV

            I knew I didn’t have long to hide. And soon the designated time came and this time I knew I wouldn’t have fireworks, I wouldn’t have a plan. I would have nothing but me and my words to be able to explain to him that all I have done was for his own good.

            My mouth was dry and I waited with my heart in my throat. How would I feel? It wouldn’t be a surprise now that he knew but how would he react? Would he hate me? Would he still love me? That last question was one I didn’t want answered because for his sake, I wished the answer would be no. For the sake of what I’ve done for the past five months but for myself, I wanted it to be a yes and that was selfish.

            There were foosteps behind me and I stilled. I turned around really slowly and saw him standing there. His mouth was set and he was staring right at me. My heart hurt. “Hyukjae,” I said because that was all I could manage.

            He didn’t even respond. I could see his jawbone jumping and I knew he was trying to hold back tears. That did it. I tilted my head back and felt my throat close.

            “Why?” his voice was hoarse. Gosh, how I missed hearing him. He had come closer but there was a large distance between us and I wanted to keep it like that.

            “Because,” I wanted to tell him because I loved him but that would only destroy my purpose. “Because it’s the only way to keep both our careers.”

            “How would you explain to all the people who thought you were dead? You couldn’t have just told us and had the rest of the goddamned world think that you were gone? Or maybe just leak it out to LeiLei?” He was yelling now. That was fast. He normally kept his temper.

            I shrugged. I had to keep it distant. “It was just easier that way. The more people who knew the less likely I could have pulled it off.”

            “So what now you’re going to come back, oops that was funny and go back to normal?”

            “Hopefully things have changed.” I winced. I finally touched upon it.

            “Like what?” his voice was wooden and I knew he must know.

            I took a deep breath and went for the plunge. “You know why I did it. I wanted to see if you could forget me. Did it work?”

            “Did you think it did?” His tone was dripping with sarcasm and I knew that I had touched upon the nerve.

E POV

            I was impressed with how calm I was. I never thought this conversation would be that easy. But I kept my eyes straight ahead and just babbled on. “Did you think it did?”

            He looked at me, surprised. “I hope it did.”

            “Why? Is it really because of LeiLei or is it because you don’t love me anymore?” I was pathetic. In the end, this was all I cared about.

            He seemed to hesitate and I knew he was going to lie to me. “Donghae, can we please put this behind us?” I was pleading because I was desperate. “Please. Come back to me. The media will be different, it’ll be okay. I just, really need you next to me.” And just like that, I gave myself away.

            He didn’t move to touch me and I cried. I was right. He was done with me and we were over. I curled into myself and wanted to leave. If I stayed, I would probably jump over the railing. Underneath, the cars were running through the streets. Life was still going on.

            Then I felt it. A feather light touch and then he pulled on my shoulder and then his arms were around me again and I felt my world righted until I heard the next words on his lips. “I’m sorry.”

            I clung onto him. “Don’t be sorry. Just come back.” I felt him shake his head before he did it but I had to hope. I had to because otherwise, my heart would tear apart by the seams.

            I didn’t know what did it but suddenly his lips were on mine and I felt like I was home again. I scrambled to taste him but too quickly, he pulled away. “We shouldn’t,” he fumbled. But I grabbed him back.

            “We should because you promised. Because you said so. Because it’s what we’re meant to be.”

            And just like, we were okay again.

 

Gah, one more chapter!

I feel like I've lost a lot of you and for a while I was debating not to write a third, but you know what? This series is my baby and I will do it if not for you guys, but for myself. So be prepared