Chapter 22 - Dying Dreams

Monkey Love Fishy II - Forever and Always

E POV

            “Eunhyuk! Come over here!” Ryeowook’s startled cry and the sound of the television droning on entered my ears as I ran down to see what had happened. Everyone had gathered and their faces were white as their eyes were glued to the screen.

            A red flash of breaking news was flashing on the screen and the anchor spoke. “This just came in. There has been a horrible flight crash on the KoreanAir line. The departing plane was said to be headed from Taiwan to Korea before it exploded without leaving the runway. More information on this will be coming later.”

            The words swam through my head. KoreanAir, plane explosion, Taiwan to Korea. The coincidences were too much for me to take. I sat on an empty space in the couch and watched commercial after commercial go by, trying not to comprehend. The other members were murmuring and talking amongst themselves as I tried not to freak.

            “Call him! Someone call his phone!”

            Kyuhyun grabbed his cell and dialed Donghae’s number. He hung up in disgust. “Went straight to voicemail. I don’t know.”

            “Call the crew! Call Siwon! Ask if Donghae left.”

            “Hello? Neh, Siwon-shi is Donghae still here?” Kyuhyun placed him on speaker.

            “Didn’t he have a flight this morning?”

            “Yeah, but did he leave?”

            There was a flurry of movement and voices talking before one of the staff spoke. “Yes, we personally sent him to the airport. He just made his flight too. Had to run to the terminal but he made it. I saw him show the attendants the ticket.”

            “Thank you.” But the information was not what we had wanted to hear. We wanted to assume that Donghae had not gotten on and was still perfectly fine.

            “We’re back with more news on the horrific airplane crash in Taiwan. There has not been a lot of information yet released but we know that the plane crashed as it was leaving the runway, preparing for takeoff. The flight number is still undisclosed but there will be footage of the explosion soon. The flight as we know, had a total of six hundred passengers, and so far there is no sign of survivors.”

            The implications were scary. No surivivors? I held onto Yesung’s arm and we remained tense, staying around the television, always alert for anything. Kyuhyun was searching furiously on his laptop, trying to find out any information. There was another breathtaking few minutes when the anchor came back on.

            We rounded around the television, rewatching the image of the plane going down. Each time it dropped and burst into flames, my heart squeezed painfully. “That is our first footage. Apparently the plane made it off the runway but didn’t rise far before there was a gas explosion.”

            Leeteuk changed the channel. “Flight #446 of KoreaAir has gone down right after takeoff in Taipei. There are no survivors.” The same video played but only the words hummed in my head. 446, the number echoed in my head. That was Donghae’s flight.

            Ryeowook lunged for the remote and shut the television off. He waield and clutched his shirt, acknowledging the number as well. Yesung and Shindong had to keep him up. Leeteuk embraced a sobbing Heechul. Everyone else stared into empty spaces. Kyu’s head was bowed and tears dripped down his nose. Sungmin mindlessly traced a pattern on his jeans. But I wanted to laugh. Donghae couldn’t be gone; he was just here.

            To test myself, I coughed out a laugh. Startled, everyone turned to stare. I giggled before collapsing on the couch, the laughter hurt so much my head hurt, my abs hurt, my heart broke. Tears, torrents of them, came gushing out. I emitted an eerie broken screech. The guttural noise trudged up my throat and came out in two jagged pieces.

            Somehow I carried myself to my room. I still couldn’t, wouldn’t believe it. No survivors? Impossible. Donghae was forever. He was always by my side. I sat by my computer and opened up the document I’ve been working on for the past few weeks and continued typing.

            I let the memories swirl around me, keeping him still alive. But the tears clouded my vision and soon I could not read anything I was typing. My hands shook and typos occurred everywhere. I crawled off the chair and went on the bed.

            I plugged in my headphones and turned the music to the max. I closed my eyes and tried to lose myself. I hit shuffle and closed my eyes. The songs melted in the mess of my head and always I picked out Donghae’s voice.

            “On and on precious love,” his voice caressed my ear. My eyes jolted open. Donghae’s voice. See. He couldn’t be gone if I could still hear him so clearly. I replayed that part over and over until my thumbs hurt and I threw the headphones across the room.

            Donghae couldn’t be gone.  

 

First day of senior year. Whoo~ Such a hard schedule. Sorry it's so short @__@