After

The Last Straw

After

October 27, 2014

 

“Baekhyun and I are supposed to be married today.” Chanyeol announces, a soft smile can be seen in his face.

“I know.” Yifan smiles while he fixes Chanyeol’s tie.

“Do I look nice? I feel nervous.”

“You always look good.” Yifan teases.

“Isn’t it a bad luck to see your partner before the wedding?” Sehun asks while his eyes are focused on his device, playing with his phone.

“I don’t know?” Yifan answers.

“You should be, if he’s the one you’re going to marry.” Sehun points at the tall figure.

Chanyeol laughs and pats Yifan’s back,

 

 

“Your husband can’t wait to see you.”

Yifan sighs but welcomes the guy who just entered, “What are you doing here, Zitao?”

“Kyungsoo… he”

Before Zitao could answer, Sehun dashed out of the room.

“Will Kyungsoo be okay?” Zitao asked.

“Of course, Sehun is there.”

Chanyeol was supposed to be worried but he knew Sehun was there, Sehun will always be there. Kyungsoo will be fine, because Sehun was there, Sehun was the one who was always there.

 

 

                The day after the news about the plane crash, the video which Baekhyun prepared was played in the concert hall of their old university. Kyungsoo was there, Yifan was tasked to be there. Sehun never left Kyungsoo’s side.

                Jongin drifted away from Kyungsoo after the plane crash. He rarely was in the apartment. So Kyungsoo decided to give him some time.

 

                It was Yifan and Tao’s wedding. Jongin did not attend. Kyungsoo was hoping that Jongin would be present but all calls were left unanswered.

                “Kyungsoo hyung.” Sehun uttered while he slowly walked towards Kyungsoo. Seeing the sulken body of the shorter guy, a pain stabbed his heart.

                “I thought he’ll be here Sehun. But again, he did not come.”

                Sehun did not reply. He just closed his distane and gave the shorter guy a hug.

                “Let’s go to the back, they are waiting for us.” Sehun smiled. “I want to see Kris hyung cry.”

                That made Kyungsoo smiled softly.

 

 

                “Good morning!” Kyungsoo greeted Chanyeol and Sehun.

                “Hi Kyungsoo.” Chanyeol greeted.

                “You know, Jongin came back last night. I was so happy that I just stared at him for too long. I knew he’ll be here on his birthday.”

                Sehun smiled faded. Chanyeol just patted Sehun’s back.

                “I made kimchie spaghetti. Jongin’s favorite. Come on guys, let’s eat.”

                The plates were arranged beautifully. Kyungsoo made the table look elegant with four china wares all in shining white and the food was arranged almost like a fine dining.

                “It’s beautiful.” Chanyeol compleneted.

                “Of course, it’s for Jongin.” Kyungsoo giggled.

                “Stop it.” Sehun suddenly burst out, both Chanyeol and Kyungsoo were taken aback.

                “Why Sehun?” Kyungsoo asked worriedly.

                Sehun was about to say something when he saw the pleading look on Chanyeol’s face, he stopped.

                “Nothing. Let’s just eat.” Sehun silently uttered.

                “Okay, I’m just gonna call Jongin.”

                Sehun cringed, Chanyeol just ruffled the boy’s hair.

 

____

                “Jongin, when are you coming home? I barely see you.” Kyungsoo pleading the guy at the other end of the phone.

                “I don’t know.”

                “Please Jongin, come back. I miss you so much.”

                The line went dead.

 

 

____

                “Jongin, will you be here during Christmas? I miss you so much.”

 

                “I’ll be waiting for you, no matter what Jongin.”

 

 

                “I love you.”

 

 

 

____

 

“Jongin, I miss you so much. Come back home. Please.”

“Let’s have our forever, Jongin come back home.”

 

 

____

 

“Jongin. I love you.”

 

 

 

____

 

                “Hello, Jongin. Please come home. I love you so much.”

 

____

 

                “Jongin, I want a forever with you.”

 

 

 

 

                October 27, 2015

                “You said we could have our forever, Jongin.” Kyungsoo was in a state of shock when Jongin suddenly appeared before his eyes. For months, he tried to reach Jongin and he could only speak with him through phone.

“Pleas Jongin,” Kyungsoo was in tears as he begged Jongin for a second chance.

                “I don’t believe in forever anymore.”

                With his last words, Jongin left.

                Kyungsoo was a sobbing mess. He couldn’t understand why Jongin would just leave him hanging.

 

 

                The following days, Jongin’s phone could not be reached.

                Kyungsoo continued to dial but it was left unanswered.

                Kyungsoo called Jongin numerous times but all went to voicemail. He was freaking out.

                “Sehun, is Jongin with you?” Kyungsoo’s voice cracked while he continuously sobbed.

                “Kyungsoo.” Barely audible, Sehun said from the other line.

                “He is not picking up his phone. Damn it Sehun. Where is he?” Kyungoo continued to cry.

 

 

                “Don’t go anywhere Kyungsoo. I’ll go there.”

                Not ten minutes had passed, Sehun found himself in front of Kyungsoo’s apartment.

               

                As Sehun was running towards Kyungsoo’s apartment, he called Chanyeol, “I can’t do this anymore hyung. I can’t stand it anymore.”

                Sehun did not wait for a response from the older because he already made up his mind. He will end this whole thing.

 

 

                “Kyungsoo.” Sehun uttered.

                “Did you find him? Is Jongin with Chanyeol? Why isn’t Jongin answering his calls?”

                “Kyungsoo, stop it.”

                “Stop what? Calling him?”

                “Kyungsoo, please. Wake up.” Sehun started sobbing while he tried to grab Kyungsoo’s arms

                “What the hell Sehun.”

                “Please.” Sehun cried harder. He knew this will eventually happen. They have been praying, Chanyeol and him that Kyungsoo can wake up from his delusion. It had been two years, and he decided this has got to stop.

                At first he thought, this was fine but seeing Kyungsoo, Sehun could not bear it anymore.

                This has to stop.

                It pained Sehun to see Kyungsoo suffering but it will just hurt him more if they will continue to support Kyungsoo in the wrong way. So he decided this was the last straw.

 

 

                “Jongin died two years ago, Kyungsoo.”

                “What the ?”

                “Kyungsoo wake up.”

                “Damn it, Sehun!”

                “Kyungsoo, I beg you. Please, wake up.”

               

 

                “Please” Sehun begged like he was begging for his life.

 

               

                “Kyungsoo, you have to wake up. Jongin’s gone. He died on that plane crash with Baekhyun.” Sehun fought his emotions but sadness was overwhelming that he can feel his heart crumbled into pieces. He felt sorry for Kyungsoo. He felt sorry for Jongin.

                “Kyungsoo, he died two years ago, Jongin’s gone. Jongin is dead.”

Kyungsoo punched Sehun in the face.

                “ you.”

                “Jongin is here yesterday. He broke up with me Sehun, why are you saying he died?”

                “Kyungsoo, please.” Sehun, disregarding the pain in his left cheek.

               

                Sehun gave Kyungsoo a polaroid. A shot months ago, Kyungsoo’s selca with Jongin that was taken months ago during Jongin’s birthday.

 

Jongin was not there but Kyungsoo is.

               

 

 

 

 

                “He promised me a forever.”

 

 

 

 

 

Epilogue

“Thanks for all your help Sehun.”

“How’s Kyungie?”

“He’s doing great. He was asked to stop taking his medications and he started to sing again.”

Sehun nods as he lights a stick of cigarette.

Kris stops for awhile and weighs the situation carefully, trying to process Sehun’s state.

“I heard Luhan is doing well too.”

Sehun nods and places a basket of flowers on Baekhyun’s grave, while a box of cigarettes on Jongin’s.

“Kris hyung.” Sehun utters, “We should go now or we’ll be late. Kyungsoo is waiting for us.”

Without a word, Kris walks away with Sehun.

 

Kyungsoo had been admitted to a rehabilitation center. He was getting better day by day. Kyungsoo was left in a state of depression that led him to believe that Jongin was still with him. After he heard that the plane crash happened, his mind closed the idea that Jongin was in that plane too.

Jongin left October 21 2013 to personally buy the perfect gift for Kyungsoo. His flight back was supposed to be a day after BAekhyun’s but at the last minute, Jongin decided to fly back with his hyung because he can’t stand a day without Kyungsoo.

“I love him hyung, we will have a forever.” Jongin proudly said to Baekhyun before they boarded the plane.

Kyungsoo knew all about the changed of plan because he was too excited to see Jongin again. Though, it was just days when he last saw Jongin, he couldn’t shake of the idea that Jongin should be with him. He loved Jongin too much.

When Sehun called him, Kyungsoo’s brain shut down the idea that Jongin was in that plane. Kyungsoo did not process the fact that Jongin died with Baekhyun.

Chanyeol was too hurt about Baekhyun's death to even  notice that Kyungsoo’s state was far more worrisome than him. He remembered the time when he went to watch the proposal made by BAekhyun, at first he thought that Jongin was there, he even imagined that Jongin was there talking to him, hugging him, crying with him but it was not Jongin, it was Sehun. Sehun was there, was always there.

                For 2 years, Sehun and Chanyeol would see Kyungsoo talk with himself, laugh with himself, prepare food for two. For Kyungsoo, Jongin never left him. Kyungsoo doesn’t want the sad reality. He wanted his forever.

                Kyungsoo wanted his forever,

His forever with Jongin.

 

___

 

“Guys, you’re here too.” A loud voice welcomes Sehun and Kris as they enter the halls of the center.

 

“You’re still loud.” Kris comments while taking off his coat.

 

Disregarding the remark, Chanyeol happily talks with Sehun, “Just in time for the party.”

“You’re pretty excited about this, you know.” Kris points out.

“Don’t ruin the mood Yifan. Just go, go there and find your seat. The party will start in a few minutes.” Chanyeol pushes Kris into the room while gestures at Sehun to tail along with them.

 

Everyone in the rehabilitation center was present in the hall, Chanyeol, Yifan, Tao and Sehun prepared a birthday party for Kyungsoo.

                The doctors assured that the party was a good idea not only for the past recovery of Kyungsoo but as well as the other patients. Because most of the patients suffered from depression and what they need the most are love, care, and happiness.

               

                The party went well, Kyungsoo was happy though he barely smiled.

 

                “I want to see him.” Kyungsoo suddenly uttered.

               

                “Let’s go.” Sehun replied, knowing what Kyungsoo really meant.

 

 

 

 

a/n

 

I'm sorry.

@baekmesomeyeol