Between Life and Death

Night School

Thank you for subscribing and giving feedback! ^^


 

People say that life is not easy; but so is love. Being a high school teenager with only a quite pretty face along with ordinary figure, ordinary intelligence, and basically ordinary everything else; dramatically said, it’s quite a struggle for me to cope with my life; be it life in general or love life, especially since I like someone out of my reach, who might not even aware of my presence on earth.

But hey, life must go on. Even if Sehun might not know that I exist, I only have less than a year to be blinded by his good look and after that, college life is waiting for me. Maybe by then I will have many faces to admire, those who actually know my name. Life is too beautiful to be wasted by weeping over something like one sided crush. For example, my mom promised to cook my favorite dish tonight. Now that’s something to wait for. Screw Sehun and his ‘who-are-you’ face; I’m going to eat curry rice tonight, and-

Being too absorbed on that thought, I cross the road without checking, or noticing that a motorbike is speeding towards me in high speed. Nor do I realize the screeching sound the wheels make when the driver desperately tries to avoid me. It is a second before the crash when I gaze to see the young face of the driver painted with fear and shock, and then everything turns dark.

 

***

 

It’s like I’m awaken from a long sleep and I feel like my head is twirling; but aside of that I can’t feel anything at all; as if I’m paralyzed. I try to lift my hands like I usually do every time I wake up from sleep, but there is no motion at all. Confused, I try to open my eyes, but to no avail. My body feels like it’s not functioning, except for my ears which can still hear my surroundings; the chaos from somewhere near.

“Her pulse is weakening!” there’s a loud sound just next to my ear. I want to grunt and tell whoever it was to shut up, but of course I can’t. There are more commotions and I can finally hear my mom’s voice which trembles hard.

“Mihee!” she cries. “Mihee!”

“Ma’am, please step aside, we’re trying to help your daughter.” a voice with urgent tone says, and eventually my mom’s voice is muffled down. I’m too dizzy to defend my mom and tell the person off for acting like that to her. Before I can even think what I should say, another voice talks with more urgency.

“He stops breathing!” there’s panic in that voice and I’m just about to wonder who the person is talking about when suddenly my mind goes blank. There’s sweet scent and I feel like floating away, the voice surrounds me feel like coming from somewhere far and begin to tone down bit by bit.

The sound of ambulance along the weep and cries of a familiar sound near me can vaguely be registered in my ear just before I open my eyes to reveal ten young men and women who lean down to gaze at me curiously. It takes me a moment before I realize that I’m lying on the floor with those people surrounding me. I blink once; and then twice before eventually decide that it’s time to get up. When I do so, as if reading my thought, one of them; a guy in his teens with handsome face offers his hand to me, smiling.

“Hello, welcome to the Night School.”

 

 ***

 

I don’t react right away. It takes me quite a long time to even gather the concentration to really see my surroundings. The first one to catch my eyes is the guy, whose hand is still reached out, waiting for me to accept it. He has dark hair and eyes, and rather tanned complexion. But that smile is one of the brightest I have ever seen for my whole life. My eyes stay on him for a few seconds before an irritated voice come from a girl who is, I realize it a bit too late, standing protectively near him.

“Can you stop looking at him and just take his hand?” she rolls her eyes and I quickly take the guy’s hand, embarrassed. He helps me standing up and by then I get a clear view of those people.

The girl who just talked to me has a pretty face and long straight hair. She has a strong aura coming from her like that of popular girls from school. A little behind her is a tall, feminine-looking girl who is smiling at me with a graceful smile.

“Hello.” she greets warmly and I greet her back just enough with my still confused self. Why am I here and who are these people standing in front of me with my school uniforms? There are two people who seem to be a couple next to that short haired girl. One is blonde with wavy hair and the other has dark hair and eyes and a really manly feature. Both are looking at me interestedly; the girl has a friendly smile on her face.

“I’m Hyoyeon.” she’s the first person to tell me her name. “And he is Yunho.” she put her hand naturally on the guy’s arm. The guy nods at me, to which I nod back.

“I’m Jinki.” another guy speaks up. He has a melodious voice and good looking, friendly face. A guy near him who has small eyes and a cute face waves at me while saying his name.

“I’m Baekhyun.” he says. “I’m the visual here.” A really pretty girl beside Baekhyun smacks him playfully at his witty remark before shifting her attention to me, smiling widely.

“Don’t believe him.” she says at first. “I’m Yoona, by the way.”

“He is Taemin.” A tall handsome guy points at a seemingly younger guy beside him who looks quiet and shy. “And I’m Minho.”

“I’m Jongin.” the guy who helps me get up finally introduces his name. “And she is Soojung.” he tilts his head towards the chic girl standing at his side. The girl only side-eyes me, doesn’t look likes she is willing to greet me at all.

“My name is Seohyun.” the feminine girl suddenly butts in.

I can only nod, having trouble to memorize their names and faces, or even understanding the fact of why I’m there with those people I’ve never seen in my life before.

“Okay.” I say politely. “But why are you here and why am I here?” I throw my gaze around again to make sure that I’m not mistaken. The whole thing doesn’t make sense. I can’t be at class. I have already walked out from school for sure; except if that memory was not true and I only dreamt during class. But even that won’t explain why these strangers are at this class with me. I’m sure I remember walking home, and then grunting about Sehun, and the screeching sound, and the noise…

I suddenly feel shiver down my back and my head feels extremely busy as the sudden rush of memory flows in. There was a lot of pain; yes, it was unbearable. But I can’t feel anything now except for the dizziness in my head. And I remember the weeping sound, the loud serene of ambulance.

“Why am I here?” I ask again, this time anxiously. Ten faces stare at me with a sympathetic expression. The guy who claimed himself as the visual nudges the other guy beside him.

“Hyung, you told her.” he says, but answered by a strict refusal as the other guy shakes his head.

“No  way. I’ve just told that guy. You go ahead if you want.” he firmly rejects.

All of them exchange glances with each other and completely ignore me for a while until the manly guy, Yunho, come towards me.

“What is your name?” he gently asks. Hyoyeon smiles encouragingly beside him. I don’t know why I should tell my name to a complete stranger who could be a serial killer for all I know, but there’s something in this guy that makes one want to believe him.

“Mihee.” I reply with a low voice. “I’m Kang Mihee.”

“Kang Mihee.” he says my name seriously. “Do you remember what happened? I mean before you wake up here.”

All of them are looking at me expectantly, waiting for my answer. Still extremely confused, I slowly nod my head, pressing the side of my head which feels like burning.

“There was an accident.” I shut my eyes while forcing my head to think. “A motorbike crashed me. And I was in an ambulance. Someone was shouting. What happened to the motorbike driver? That guy?” I suddenly ask Yunho, remembering the young startled face I last saw before I lost the consciousness.

“Hello.” a guy who I didn’t notice before comes from his seat at the other side of the room, walking calmly with hands in the pocket. I didn’t notice before, but he is really good looking with his long legs, dark hair and that confident smile. “I’m Chanyeol.”

“Chanyeol arrived here not long before you.” Minho nicely informs me. I stare more intently at that feature. It’s really him, though his expression is calm now and there’s no helmet covering his face, the wide eyes and that face is really what I saw before. But that means-

“Wait, that wasn’t a dream?” I frown. “You were the one who crashed into me?”

“Sorry for that.” he nods. “Though to be honest you are mainly at fault, crossing the road without checking at all and-”

“Wait, wait.” I stop him, ignoring his words. The whole thing doesn’t make sense to me. “Then aren’t I supposed to be in the hospital?” I ask more to myself before directing my attention back to Chanyeol. “And you, you are alright? But I remember hearing that you stopped breathing!” I exclaim; panic is starting to fill my voice.

“That is what these guys here don’t have the guts to tell you.” Soojung suddenly says. “He’s dead. You are dead. We are all already dead.”

The information sinks inside my mind but I can’t find anything to say. That can’t be true, right? That must be a joke. These people will laugh any second suspecting that I believe this girl’s words even for a bit. There must be some sort of explanation. I can’t be dead. Not now. Not when I’m so young.

“Soojung!” Yoona reprimands the girl, frowning at her. “You should be more sensitive. You can’t drop it that way.”

“What? She needs to know the truth.” Soojung defends herself, slightly pouting by the unapproved looks addressed to her.

“Yeah, why can’t she?” Chanyeol suddenly says, moving to stand right in front of me. “She needs to accept the truth like I did. Kang Mihee, we got into accident and fell unconscious. We were rushed to the hospital but died in the way. I died first, and you stopped breathing not long after. Our bodies must still be in the hospital. We are dead.” he explains frankly. My heart must have stopped breathing at the sudden news, but there’s nothing happening. I run my hand to my chest, but I can’t feel the beat. Flustered, I quickly grab my wrist, but there’s no pulse.

I am dead.

“But I was in pain!” I almost yell from exasperation, my voice has become hoarse. “I can’t feel pain if I’m already dead.”

“That’s because you are new.” Jinki explains with a sad expression. “All of us experienced it. That’s like a reminder of how we died; but it will go away once we know and accept the truth. After that, your body will no longer be able to feel pain.”

“It’s not hurting anymore, right?” the feminine girl approaches me, talking with a soft voice. “That’s because you already know the truth.”

‘Truth of what?” I shouted angrily, rushing to the door to get out from this nonsense; but my hand goes through the handle when I try to reach it. I can’t touch the handle.

I’m stoned in my place, staring at my hand which went transparent for a short while before it goes to its normal color again.

“Mihee.” Hyoyeon is suddenly already behind me, placing a hand on my shoulder to calm me down. “I’m sorry. We’re really sorry. But you need to accept this. You already passed away; just like the rest of us.”