Sugar & Milk

Agent & Dr. C

Darkness, it surrounded Sooyoung. She could hear in the distance helicopter choppers, trucks going by, and a man shouting orders. There was no denying it. She was in a war zone. She tried to soothe her mind with the tasks that awaited her once she would be out. The sun would burn her skin, a skin she had worked years at keeping away from it. A milky white skin tone that was naturally tanned, maybe she preferred the darkness. It was safer.  She moved slightly, changing her position, trying to get comfortable. The young doctor suddenly felt a presence in front of her and froze. Who could it be? Her senses were suddenly on high alert as she tried to process the information that she knew, but in vain. After a long moment, she managed to gather enough courage to open her eyes. Sitting in front of her, in the hotel lobby, was a well-built man, with fair skin, blue eyes, and blond hair: the stereotype of the western man thought Sooyoung. The young man smiled at her and offered her a cup of coffee.

“Coffee? The buffet just opened and I noticed you’ve been here for a while.”

“Thank you,” said Sooyoung, reaching for the cup of coffee, relived that it was someone she recognized. She had noticed the man looking at her, the night before, at the debriefing meeting.  

“I also brought you milk and sugar,” the young man said, with a smile, pushing towards her small milk containers and bags of sugar. Sooyoung smiled back, taking her time calculating how much sugar and milk she was putting into her coffee.

“That looks like a complicated chemical reaction,” teased the man. Sooyoung let out a small laugh before answering:

“A…” Sooyoung paused for moment, choosing her words properly. “A patient of mine thought me this technic. It’s actually pretty good, but I usually take my coffee black.”

“Ah, a purist, just like me,” teased the strangers, seated in front of her. Sooyoung looked up at him and smiled again. He looked a bit older than her, but not too much, she placed him in his late twenties, early thirties. He had a strong British accent, but his teeth were straight and it troubled her.

“Your teeth are straight,” she blurted out, noticing her error after the fact. The British man swallowed his coffee and laughed out loud.

“It that all you foreigners think of us? That we have bad teeth?”

“No, we also believe that you have crumpets and tea for breakfast, every morning,” teased Sooyoung, trying to make up for her mistake.

“Well, Madam. I do miss my crumpets, but as you can see I am more of a coffee person.”

“I am sorry,” mumbled Sooyoung.

“It’s okay. I come for the wealthy part of London. My parents paid for all the dental treatments I needed, sent my to all the private schools and when I told them I wanted to do my undergrad at the London School of Economics, they almost disowned me, so I had to do my masters and PhD at Cambridge and Oxford.”

“You poor thing, you must have suffer all your life!”

“I’d rather not think about it,” he chuckled. “What’s your story?”

“Me?” asked Sooyoung, biting her lower lip and playing with her cup. “Born to two medical doctors. My parents always wanted my sister and I to become doctors, so we did. But, I fell in love with one of my patients, went through disciplinary actions and became a coroner. And now I am here telling my whole life story to a total stranger.”

The man seated in front of her smiled and answered. “I just have one question. Are you still with that patient?”

“No, no I am not,” responded Sooyoung, after a long pause. “He chose his nurse,” she concluded with a nervous laugh.  

“Well he is stupid for letting go such a beautiful woman go away.”

“I like to think that too,” answered Sooyoung, laughing at the situation for the first time.

“So, are you with the medical division?”

“Yeah, you?”

“Chemical, I’ll be doing soil sampling.”

“Doctor?” she asked, raisin an eyebrow.

“Yes, but PhD, not MD.”

“Same difference,” taunted Sooyoung, with a sheepish look.

“Your name,” asked the English man, slowly falling under the spell of the black coffee drinker. 

“Dr. Choi Sooyoung,” she said, offering her hand.

“Dr. Andrew Baker,” he answered, shaking her hand. “I am sorry, but how do you pronounce your name? Soo…?”

“Sooyoung,” she repeated slowly, cracking a smile when his expression remained blank. “You can also call me Summer.”

“Summer?  That is a lovely name. I shall call you Summer,” cheered Andrew, relieved that he would be able to pronounce her name. “You know Summer, if you ever need help while we are here, just tell me. I took some self-defence classes before leaving the UK,” he said proudly, eager to impress the doctor from Korea.

“Oh thank you, but I am red belt taekwondo, so I think I can fend for myself,” she retorted, putting down the coffee cup on the glass table.  Sooyoung looked at the chemist’s gaze lose its sparkle. She felt sorry for pushing him away like that, but she had promised herself never to depend on a man again.

“Have you eaten yet?” she offered. “I am starving and don’t know when we’ll get a change to eat again.

“A girl who is not afraid to love food? This is refreshing,” answered Andrew getting up.

“I can’t stand girls who are always on a diet,” defied Sooyoung, following him to the dinning room of the hotel.

 

*                                 *                                 *

 

The sun had come down on Seoul long ago, but for some the evening was just starting. In his kitchen, Kyuhyun was attempting to cook some nachos for a well-deserved calm evening with Victoria. 

“Kyu, hurry up, the show is starting,” urged Victoria, from the living room.

“Coming,” he replied, taking the tray of nachos out of the oven. The detective transferred the nachos quickly into a plate, trying not to burn himself.

“Did I miss anything,” he asked, when he had finally made it in front of the TV.

“No, just the recap,” answered Victoria, reaching for nacho. “Ow, it’s hot,” she yelped, blowing on her finger.”

“Careful, it’s hot.”

“At least its’ not burnt like last time,” teased Victoria.

“Funny,” replied Kyuhyun, giving her a death stare.

“Anyways, I won’t eat much. I am on a diet.”

“Again?”

Victoria didn’t have time to defend herself as the must anticipated show interrupted her. The couple snuggled together in front of the television set, ready to enjoy their favourite drama and the few moments of peace they could enjoy together. However, just as Victoria had been interrupted moments before, their program was also interrupted.

“Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen, we are sorry to interrupt your regular broadcast, but we have some breaking news coming out of Damascus tonight,” announced the news anchor.

“Oh come on,” shouted Victoria, annoyed.

“Shut up Victoria,” snapped Kyuhyun, feeling a chill take over his body.

“What? This is ridiculous. Who cares?”

“Just, shut up Vic,” interrupted Kyuhyun, putting the volume up. Victoria looked at her boyfriend and then at the screen. An image of Sooyoung quickly appeared and then the focus went back on the anchor.

“Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen and welcome to our special broadcast. I’m Cho Soobin. We have some unsettling news coming out of Damascus tonight. The ceasefire that was established between the Syrian government and the Rebels has been broken putting in the middle the UN convoy en route to Aleppo. Our correspondent in London Choi Minyoung joins us now. Minyoung-shi what are the updates?”

“Well, unfortunately not much, as the information is still new,” started the young reporter, as the camera focused on her. “All we know, at the moment, is that the UN convoy, travelling from the hotel to the suburb of Aleppo, has been attacked by snipers, in a sort of buffer zone between government control areas and Rebel controlled territory. At the moment, we do not know who is responsible for the attack,” insisted the reporter. “The only updates we’ve had, from the UN, is that the convoy is on its way back to the hotel to assess the damages.”

“Are there any injured people?” asked the anchor.

“Frankly, we do not know at the moment. About half of the convoy is back, but the UN hasn’t said anything, ” replied the reporter. Kyuhyun looked at the screen anxious for answers about Sooyoung’s state. He mentally begged the anchor to request information, a prayer that was quickly answered.

“And what about our own Dr. Choi Sooyoung, do we have any news about her state? Is she okay?”

“Unfortunately at this moment, we just don’t know of her whereabouts. What we do know, is that in the last images we have of her, she was leaving the hotel and talking to a man,” the images on the screen showed both Sooyoung and Andrew talking together in front of the white UN Jeeps. They were both wearing navy blue bulletproof vests and combat helmets. “The man in question has returned to the hotel, as we can see in these images, but he is not with Dr. Choi. At this moment, we can only speculate that she is either in the hotel, but we haven’t seen her yet, or she might still very well be with the second part of the convoy.” The rest of the interview went on, but Kyuhyun’s mind was somewhere else. Where could she be? He slowly got up, responding to an unknown command inside him.

“Where are you going?” asked Victoria.

“Work,” replied Kyuhyun, walking towards the front door of the apartment.

“But it’s almost midnight,” exclaimed Victoria. “Please don’t tell you are going to try to find her. It’s not even your jurisdiction. It’s a world away. ”

“I am not,” snapped Kyuhyun. “This just reminded me that I forgot to sign some papers she asked me to sign, before leaving,” lied Kyuhyun.

“You can do it tomorrow,” insisted his girlfriend.

“I can’t. It’s a John Doe. His family has been waiting long enough. I’ll be back as soon as I can.” With those words, he was out the door and on his way to his car. Victoria looked at her boyfriend leave the apartment and slouched back on the sofa. She looked back at the television and saw images of Sooyoung. Her hair was back to its natural black colour and she was wearing a white blouse, with a bulletproof vest on top of it, She was also wearing olive cargo pants with what looked like hiking boots, and a combat helmet. The images showed Sooyoung packing equipment into one of the white Jeeps and then giving a thumbs up to someone. The next images showed a recap of the recent events. Victoria turned off the TV and bit her lip. Would the Mystery man be able to take Sooyoung’s attention away from Kyuhyun? Would it keep her from speaking? No. She wouldn’t speak, of that she was sure.

 

Kyuhyun drove for a long time and had a sole companion the sound of the radio, bringing him up to date with the new upbeat songs. Once he was far from the downtown core of Seoul, he pulled into a laneway where he was greeted by a security guard.  

“Haven’t seen you in a while Agent Cho,” grumbled the security guard, while looking at his papers.

“Sorry Joon, I’ve been busy lately,” offered Kyuhyun, as an explanation, taking back his papers.

“On a mission?” asked the guard, putting up the gate.

“Wouldn’t be able to tell you that, would I? Jun, have a good evening,” he said, pulling his car away from the gate and further into the laneway. In front of him was a big glass building that awaited him and as he made his way to it, surveillance cameras were following his every move. Once he had parked his car, in his parking space, Kyuhyun locked it and walked towards the building. His building. His secret. He swiped his card on an access pad, which gave him access into the building. Inside was a second security guard.

“Agent Cho, wasn’t expecting you here tonight,” offered the guard.

“Neither was I,” he answered, walking up to guard. “Who is on duty tonight?”

“Your friend who likes to be called Max,” answered the security guard, with nonchalance.

“Great,” grumbled Kyuhyun. “Just what I need. Thank you,” he said, before leaving the security counter.

“Agent Cho,” called the guard. ”You forgot your ID badge.”

“ID badge,” repeated Kyuhyun, looking for it in his pocket. He reached for the small plastic card, with his picture on it, and clipped onto his waist. The security guard gave him a thumps up, before returning his watch on the security cameras and Kyuhyun made his way to the elevators. Once inside the elevator, Kyuhyun pushed on the button that would bring him to the third level, the command center. It was only at that moment that he realized he could’ve taken the stairs. He promised himself to take the stairs on his way down and opt for the healthy option Victoria was always promoting. When the elevator called the third flower, Kyuhyun got out and walked into an area that separated the elevator from a bigger section, the command center. The two sections were divided with a wide bulletproof glass. He swiped his card and entered a password that opened the sliding doors and permitted him to go into the command center, which was dimly illuminated and had monitors organized in sections, with agents monitoring event. He turned his gaze to the left and saw Changmin walking toward him to welcome him. 

“Agent Cho. We weren’t expecting you tonight. Is something wrong?” he asked, offering his hand for a handshake, a handshake that Kyuhyun skilfully avoided by focusing his gaze on the monitors.

“I want to know if you have any news about Dr. Choi,” he said, looking for a station that was monitoring the situation.  

“And why is that?” asked Changmin, following him around the center.

“Because, she is my partner and I am worried,” answered Kyuhyun, looking at screens where she appeared.

“You are,” repeated Changmin, sarcastically.

“I am,” confirmed Kyuhyun, trying to sound as calm as possible. Changmin looked at his old friend and sighed.

“We found her, well more like the media found her about 15 minutes ago,” explained Changmin, crossing his arms, while looking at the screens. “Her car was one of the first ones in and the car that was attacked was behind her. That is why she took so much time to come back. The personnel on the ground and the images we are seeing right now confirm the fact that she is okay, maybe shaken up, but okay.”

“What about the guy that is with her?” inquired Kyuhyun, relieved that Sooyoung was okay. “Do we know anything about him?”

“No, why would we care about him? He’s not Korean.”

“I’m just wondering,” mumbled Kyuhyun. “We should run a check on him. See if he is clear.”

“Of what?” frowned Changmin. “It is not our job to run security checks on every foreigner that talks to a Korean citizen.”

“I just want to know who is around my partner, “retorted Kyuhyun.

“Agent Cho, please follow me,” ordered Changmin, walking towards the elevator. Once they were both outside of the command center, Changmin looked at Kyuhyun gravely.

“Your partner? You speak of her like an overprotective boyfriend. May I remind you that you have a girlfriend? May I also remind you of who was in charge of placing you where you are right now? Your mission is to gather information for us, Agent Cho, not fall in love with your partner. If you keep indicating that you are getting too attached to this woman and putting in jeopardy our investigation, I will not be afraid to ask to take you off the case and tell your current girlfriend. Are we clear?” insisted Changmin, raising his voice.

“I have another question for you Changmin,” retorted Kyuhyun, getting closer to him. “When did you stop viewing me as your best friend and started seeing me as your enemy?”

“You want to know why,” shouted Changmin. “You took away my glory that night. You took away what should’ve been my claim to fame, my promotion. You took it away and kept it for yourself. You should’ve passed on the message to me, it was my case, not yours.”

“I did it so I could save my best friend’s life,” spat Kyuhyun. “You know that I was better trained for that kind of situation. You wouldn’t have been able to succeed Changmin you would’ve died. Even I almost died that night.”

“And it’s a shame she saved your life that evening,” hissed Changmin.

“She?”

“That’s right,” scoffed Changmin, looking away from his friend. “The only thing that keeps me going is that I remember everything and you don’t. It must be a shame not to remember…” Changmin suddenly stopped and smirked. “No, I won’t say it.”

“Say it,” ordered Kyuhyun, reaching for his gun, that wasn’t there.

“That’s right,” sneered Changmin, showing his gun under his blazer. “You’re just a city cop now. You’re not allowed to carry guns on you.  Listen to me Cho, focus on your mission and stay away from your Doctor or else, you won’t see her again. Goodnight,” finished Changmin, turning around to go back into the command center. Kyuhyun looked at his old friend walk away and felt his blood boiling inside of him. He pushed the elevator’s button harshly and cursed loudly.

 

Seated in his office, Kyuhyun faced his computer. The lights were off, he didn’t want to attract too much attention, even if there was no one on the floor, except the security guard. Eager to get the answers Changmin hadn’t given him, Kyuhyun was running a facial recognition of the man that accompanied Sooyoung. He stared at his computer, with the desperation of a starving animal. Praying that the man had entered Korea and that they had records of him. After what seemed like an eternity, a match was found. Kyuhyun rapidly opened the folder and read. His name was Andrew Baker and he was born in 1985. The only record the database had of him was one entry to the country, four years before, for a conference on nuclear radiation. He had only spend a few days in Korea and then flown out directly to London. Kyuhyun finished off his search by checking his passport information, it read single. A sudden wave of fatigue took over Kyuhyun. He sat back and closed his eyes. Reality was sinking in. Why did he care so much about Sooyoung and Andrew Baker, when he had a girlfriend at home? He had a perfectly warm, cheerful, and fun girlfriend. A girlfriend, he had a girlfriend and he shouldn’t be worrying over another woman. He had Victoria.

 

*                                 *                                 *

 

Sooyoung woke up, on the 7th and last day of the mission, with the gentle sunrays tickling her face. She lazily reached for her phone and looked at the time.

“What time is it,” grumbled a voice behind her.

“Almost 9 o’clock,” she answered, rolling into Andrew’s strong arms.

“How did we go from being the first ones at the buffet to the last ones?” he asked, with a chuckled.

“I blame you,” teased Sooyoung, nibbling on his earlobe.

“Me? No, I blame you,” he retorted, running his finger down Sooyoung’s back and stopped at the beginning of her gluts. Sooyoung shivered at the contact of his finger and smiled foolishly, she was happy, but she was suddenly brought back to reality when she heard the sounds of gunshots in the distance.

“We need to talk Andrew,” she said, sitting up and covering her body with her pillow.

“I know, I know,” he grumbled. “This is just and when we leave this hotel, we must forget about it. You’ve made that perfectly clear Summer.” Andrew got up from bed in frustration and started looking for his briefs.

“No, actually, I was thinking,” she mumbled, playing with the corner of the pillow. “I mean if you are still interested and you come by Seoul…maybe we could pick things up where we are leaving them today?”

“Really?” he asked, standing fully in front of her.

“Yes,” mumbled Sooyoung.

“So, does that mean that if you come to London we can do the same thing?”

“Yes,” repeated Sooyoung.

“Well then, I guess there is no need for breakfast then,” replied Andrew, crawling onto the bed towards Sooyoung.

“Are you crazy? That buffet is perfect, I am not missing our last buffet,” she exclaimed, getting out of bed, and readying herself to take a shower. Andrew looked at her run into the bathroom and chuckled.

“You know, I feel bad,” he said, running his hand through his hair and ruffling it.

“Why?” echoed Sooyoung’s voice from the bathroom, where she was already making the water run for a shower.

“Well they are paying for my hotel bedroom, but I’ve been sleeping here for more than half the trip,” answered Andrew, looking at his suitcase next to Sooyoung’s.

 “So, help this hotel save some money and shower with me,” said Sooyoung, getting into the shower. Andrew looked over at Sooyoung get into the shower and smirked while making his way to the shower.

“By the way, you were really loud last night,” he said, while he was being pulled into the shower.

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

I am back~~ Well the fic is back not me. What did you think of it...I kinda ship Sooyoung and Andrew, so he might be back... ><

So two super big annoucments.

1. I changed my username...I was so tired of the other one...I don't know how you guys put up with it...really it was horrible. So now it's strawberry, because it's my latest addiction!

2. I need your help guys! I need to know how you want this story to end. So there are two options  :

a. Kyu discovers the secret: Yay secret is out. Okay story over, goodnight.

or

b. Kyu discovers the secret and the story goes forward with more Kyuyoung moments!!

So please, a or b??

Anyways love you all so much *blows kisses* have a good week. Hope this story can make your Monday brighter~~