Secrets

Agent & Dr. C

Kyuhyun and Victoria had their bodies interlaced, in what looked like a cuddle, and were enjoying sleeping in on a Saturday morning. Victoria greeted this moment with joy after a long week of work and an exhausting night shift, only a few hours before. When she got home, she found her boyfriend sleeping on the couch waiting for her. She had promptly helped him move to their bed, in which they fell asleep in each other’s embrace. Neither of them knew how long they had slept when the sound of a ringing phone woke them up.

“Pick it up,” grumbled Victoria, after the third ring.

“It’s not mine, it’s yours,” replied Kyuhyun, eyes still closed, hoping to get some more sleep.

“Nope, I turned mine off when I got in. Pick it up and change your ringtone. It’s ridiculous having the same one,” she insisted. Kyuhyun groaned and reached for his phone, realizing in defeat that it was indeed his phone ringing. 

“It’s work,” he groaned, before getting up and answering the call. Victoria looked at him leave and decided to take over the bed knowing he wouldn’t be coming back. To her surprise, she heard him make a phone call, after he had hung up.

 

Sooyoung was abruptly woken up by the sound of her phone vibrating on her night table. She cursed loudly, annoyed at the fact that she still couldn’t figure out how to change the vibrating intensity of her phone. So much for being a nationwide renowned doctor she thought.  

“Choi,” she answered, trying to supress a yawn.

“Dr. Choi, it’s Detective Cho,” announced a sleepy voice.

“Good morning, Agent Cho,” she answered, letting her head fall on the pillow.

“We have a new case. There is a set of remains that were found on an archaeological site near the DMZ this morning…”

“I am sorry, Agent Cho,” interrupted Sooyoung. “I don’t work on bodies that don’t have flesh. I only do fresh bodies. What you need is a forensic anthropologist. I’ll give you the name of Dr.…”

“I know the difference,” grunted Kyuhyun. “I’ll be over at your house in 45 minutes. Please call you assistant,” he ordered before hanging up. Kyuhyun walked over to the shower in defeat, even half asleep that woman still tried to outsmart him. He got in the shower trying to forget about her, trying to forget why he had called her Summer the other day. When Kyuhyun got out of the shower, he found that his girlfriend had taken over the bed and was fast asleep. He kissed her neck lovingly, grabbed his belongings, and left the apartment in a hurry.  

 

Forty-five minutes later, just like he had promised, Kyuhyun and Luna were seated in his SUV, in front of Sooyoung’s apartment building and waiting for her. After he had left his place, Kyuhyun had gone to Luna’s apartment to pick her up, and then to the Institute to pick up the equipment the doctors needed. The duo had then made their way to Sooyoung’s apartment building, in the outskirts of Gangnam. They had been sitting in the car for not over five minutes, when Kyuhyun noticed a familiar figure making its way to the apartment building. Kyuhyun was out of the car before Luna could say anything, and was making his way towards the figure.

“Dr. Choi,” he called out. The tall figure, turned around, looking for the person who had called it. 

“Dr. Choi,” he repeated, once he was in front of the person.

“I am sorry, do I know you?” asked the individual, in confusion.

“Ah, I am sorry,” chuckled Kyuhyun, extending his hand for a handshake. “Detective Cho Kyuhyun, with the Korean National Police Agency. You were my trauma surgeon three years ago."

“Yes, I think I remember you,” answered the tall man, returning the handshake. “Dr. Choi Siwon, but call me Siwon. How are you? I hope you are not here for a lawsuit,” he said with a chuckle, trying to sound friendly with his old patient.

“No, I am just here waiting for my colleague. I was wondering if you could help me with something,” questioned Kyuhyun, eager to fill in the missing gaps of his past.

“Oh look at that,” interrupted Siwon, not hearing a word that he had just said. “The other doctor that worked on your case. Dr. Choi,” he called out. Kyuhyun turned around, to see Sooyoung come out of the building. Her smile looked like it radiated when she saw Siwon, and she even made a run towards him.

“Siwon,” she exclaimed, embracing him for a tight hug, to which Siwon responded fully.

“How have you been Sooyoung-ah? I didn’t know you lived here. Are you the new neighbour?”

“Yes I am,” Sooyoung answered, breaking the hug and looking at him, completely ignoring Kyuhyun. “Are you still living in this dump? I thought you’d be living in one those fancy new apartments they’re building. What’s your apartment number? I am 900.”

“I am 1500,”he chuckled. “Don’t call this place a dump, it’s fantastic.”

“It’s a dump compared to your standards and the money you earn,” she retorted, giving a light punch on his arm, enjoying teasing him.

“You haven’t replied my question, Sooyoung. How have you been? Have you two sorted things out?” he asked looking towards Kyuhyun. Sooyoung’s pupils dilated at Siwon’s remark and she went into the same damage control mode she had in the emergency room, when she was losing a patient.

“No we are just colleagues,” she answered, flustered. “I do the autopsies on cases he has to solve. Actually, we are on our way now. We should go, Agent Cho,” she insisted, pulling him towards his car. “It was nice seeing you Siwon. I hope I’ll se you around!”

“I hope so too,” replied Siwon, with the same look of confusion Kyuhyun had. “Nice seeing you again too, Detective Cho.” Kyuhyun bowed at the second Dr. Choi and climbed into his car, too dumbstruck to say anything.  

“Oh, by the way Siwon,” yelled Sooyoung before getting into the car. “If you see the Fish tell him to give me a call.” Siwon frowned and shook his head. “I am not passing on that kind of information Sooyoung.”

“Please,” she pleaded with pout. “It’s his turn to call me.” Siwon looked at Sooyoung and nodded silently.

“Thank you, you’re the best,” she answered, after closing the car’s door. “I owe you one,” she said, while Kyuhyun pulled the car away.

 

They drove in silence for a while, having as only discussion where they wanted to have breakfast and Kyuhyun’s briefing on the case.

“They found his body this morning, when he didn’t show up for breakfast,” explained Kyuhyun. “They think he was shot, due to all the blood around him, but nobody heard any gunshots last night. Local police have secured the area and ensured that no one touches the body or the belongings, so as to not interfere with our investigation.” Sooyoung nodded and noted everything down, without a word.

“Aren’t you going to say anything?” asked Kyuhyun, annoyed at her silence.

“No,” was the only answer Sooyoung provided him.

“Dr. Choi doesn’t like speculating cause of death before we arrive on site. She thinks we must go there with a blank mind,” explained Luna, who was sitting in the back of the car.

“I see,” mumbled Kyuhyun, before plunging the car into silence again, leaving everyone to his or her own thoughts. Kyuhyun replayed the scene with Siwon over and over again, but after awhile he couldn’t take it anymore and finally asked his question.

“What did your friend mean by we finally sorted things out?” he asked, trying to sound as casual as possible. Sooyoung looked over at Kyuhyun, who had his eyes set on the road. She had dreaded the moment he would ask about Siwon’s words. She used the entire ride to think about a possible explanation and couldn’t find anything that could possibly make sense.

“I don’t know why he said that,” she finally answered after a long silence. “He must have had you confused with someone else,” she concluded, trying to make her answer sound as natural and composed as possible. Kyuhyun took his eyes away from the road for a few seconds to look over at Sooyoung. He was one of the best detectives in Seoul, if not Korea, yet he could hardly read Sooyoung. He had questioned hundreds of criminals, pinpointing every single lies they told him, but Sooyoung remained a mystery to him.

“Then who is the Fish?” he asked, eager to get something out of her.

“It’s none of your business,” she answered, turning her head towards the passenger window. Sooyoung stared at her reflection in the glass. She stared at her big brown eyes and slowly her eyes made their way to Kyuhyun’s reflection. She smiled sadly and wondered how they had managed to become two total strangers in a blink of an eye.

“Can I ask a question?” she asked, still looking at the passing landscape.

“Go for it,” he answered, switching lanes to pass a car.

“Archaeological sites, especially the ones concentrating on the DMZ, are federal jurisdiction. Yet your jurisdiction is in Seoul. Why are they sending us here?”

“Because,” he replied, bringing the car back into the right lane.

“Because?” insisted Sooyoung.

“Because, just like you I have my secrets Dr. Choi,” he answered, exiting the highway. Luna looked at the exchange from her seat and silently sighed. She let her body get rocked by the movement of the car and wondered how her two bosses could be so cold to one another, yet seem to crave each other's attention. Soon after they had left the highway, they to a countryside road that lead them to a check point.

“Detective Cho, from Seoul,” said Kyuhyun, presenting his police badge. “And these are Dr. Choi and Park with the Forensic Institute of Seoul,” he added passing their ID cards to the guard. The guard looked at all three pieces of identifications, nodded, and gave them back to Kyuhyun.

“To your left,” he said, lifting up the gate. Kyuhyun followed his orders and brought the car close to an old traditional house. Kyuhyun left to inspect the scene, while Sooyoung and Luna busied themselves preparing their equipment.

“Nice jumpsuits,” chuckled Kyuhyun, when they joined him in dark blue rubber jumpsuits.

“Shut up,” grumbled Luna, crouching to get under the yellow crime scene ribbon. “Where’s the body?”

“Follow me,” he ordered. The two doctors followed him through the corridors of the house until they reached the infamous room.

“Nobody has been in?” asked Sooyoung, popping on some light blue plastic gloves.

“No one, since the guy that discovered him and the forensic theme who collected evidence,” replied Kyuhyun. 

“Perfect. Dr. Park, take some pictures and try to form your own idea of what went wrong, then I’ll go in” ordered Sooyoung.

“Can I go in?” asked Kyuhyun.

“You can, but you’ll have to wear a jumpsuit like us,” snickered Sooyoung, handing him one. Kyuhyun starred at the jumpsuit. He hated being left behind in an investigation, but he also hated to lose his pride. He reluctantly took the jumpsuit from Sooyoung’s hands and put it on.

“Don’t forget the shoe covers,” she added, when he had finished tying his shoes. “Dr. Park are you done?” inquired Sooyoung.  

“Come in,” called on the apprentice.

“How do you do to work with these things on,” grumbled Kyuhyun, following her into the bedroom.

“Solving crime is not a fashion statement,” laughed Sooyoung, somewhat happy to hear Kyuhyun’s cynical attitude. Her smile quickly faded when she saw the dead body in front of her, lying in a pool of its own blood. “Oh my God,” she exhaled, crouching down to have a better look. “I’ve seen this before,” she said looking at the gunshot wounds in panic.

“Where?” Asked Kyuhyun and Luna, both looking over Sooyoung’s shoulder.

“At the ER,” answered Sooyoung, instinctively bringing her hand to where what she thought was the first gunshot wound. “First they shoot towards the neck, aiming for the jugular vein and carotid artery, creating a mass haemorrhage and cutting almost all the blood supply to the brain. Then,” she continued, running her hand down the body. “They shoot at the thigh, hoping to hit the femoral artery and finish off their victim. The bleeding is so intense and fast that the victim barely has time to call for help. This is military style,” she declared “It’s fast and it aims at all the places a bullet proof vest doesn’t protect.”

“How long does it take for the person to die?” asked Kyuhyun, looking at the places the victim was shot. They were exactly the same as his.

“It’s a matter of minutes,” replied Sooyoung. “Twenty at the most.”

“What happened to the case you got at the ER,” asked Luna.

“He came in in a pretty bad shape,” answered Sooyoung. Continuing her observations of the body. “We barely had time to stabilize him and he was off to get surgery. A few more seconds and he wouldn’t be with us today,” finished Sooyoung. “Dr. Park, how far away do you think the gun was from our victim?”

“Judging by the damage to the flesh and the amount of blood, I’d say pretty close.”

“Very good,” applauded Sooyoung “That means two things, right?”

“Either the victim knew his killer or he was drugged,” finished Kyuhyun, getting up.

“Or, he knew the killer and then got drugged,” added Luna.

“Nice jumpsuit Cho,” interrupted a mocking voice, coming from the bedroom’s entrance. Kyuhyun closed his eyes in exasperation, of all the people that had to see him in that jumpsuit that person was the last one he wanted to.

“Changmin,” he said, with a smile, turning himself around to look at his friend. “I wasn’t expecting to see you here.”

“Well you know, I don’t like being kept out of the loop,” laughed Changmin, walking into the bedroom.

“Oh no, you can’t,” smirked Kyuhyun, pushing him out of the room again. “See this jumpsuit? It’s the reason I am allowed in. To protect the evidence.”

“Oh, he can come in,” interrupted Sooyoung, getting up. “We’ve taken all the picture and gathered the information we need. Dr. Park you can tell forensics to come and take the body to the lab.”

“And who are these two beautiful young ladies,” asked Changmin eyeing Sooyoung’s slim body. Kyuhyun looked at his friend devour Sooyoung’s body with a pang of jealousy and sudden urge to protect her.

“She’s my partner,” he declared, proudly. “Dr. Choi Sooyoung and her assistant Dr. Park Sunyoung, but we all call her Luna.”

“Special Agent Shim Changmin,” he said, introducing himself, and extending a hand to Sooyoung, whom he only had eyes for. Sooyoung blushed at the sudden attention she was receiving and foolishly smiled.

“Nice to meet you, Special Agent Shim. I would shake your hand, but I am afraid mine is full of blood,” she said with a laugh, showing him her bloody glove. Changmin smirked and nodded.

“We’ll shake hands later,” he said, cracking a second smile at her. “What have you found?”

“Nothing much,” answered Kyuhyun. “Only that the victim was shot in the neck and thigh. And that he probably knew his killer, or was drugged by him. Or he knew him and then was drugged.”

“We’ll run some tox screens, when we get the body back to the lab,” added Sooyoung. 

“Great! Can you confirm cause of death then?,” asked Changmin.

“I can confirm it, but I can't sign it off just yet. I need to know if he was drugged or not.”

“Perfect. Cho, when she signs it off, please send it to my office and I’ll wrap up the case. Ladies, it was a pleasure working it you,” he said before leaving.

“What about me?” asked Kyuhyun.

“I just said it was a pleasure working with you, Cho. By the way, you’re off the case. Please remove your car from the property as soon as possible. Dr. Choi, here is my card, in case you need to contact me. Have a good day ladies!” Kyuhyun looked at the man he called his friend leave.

“Did he just call you a woman?” asked Sooyoung, also looking at the man leaving, enjoying the view.

“And took me off the case,” gloomed Kyuhyun.

“Why would he do that,” she asked, looking towards Kyuhyun, this time.

“To take away the glory of your knowledge. Like you said earlier, this is federal jurisdiction, not mine.”

“Well, he is dreamy,” concluded Luna, whilst taking her jumper off.

“I thought I was dreamy,” retorted Kyuhyun.

“No. You are hot. He is dreaming,” corrected Luna.

“Whatever. Let’s get out of here. This place gives me the creeps,” he said in a defeated tone, also walking away from the crime scene. The ride back to Seoul was as silent, if not more than the morning one. Kyuhyun was still fuming at his friend, for taking advantage of him. Sooyoung and Luna were both thinking about what they had to do once they got back at the laboratory. Kyuhyun drop them off at the laboratory so that they could do their thing, like he called it, and went back home annoyed. Annoyed at Changmin for pulling him out of bed and away from Victoria for nothing. Annoyed at Changmin for flirting, or trying to flirt, with Sooyoung. Annoyed at Sooyoung for blushing when Changmin talked to her. Annoyed at Sooyoung for not telling her who the Fish was. Annoyed at himself for caring so much about Sooyoung, when he had the perfect girlfriend at home. Kyuhyun was annoyed.

 

A few days later, when the storm in Kyuhyun’s head had passed, Sooyoung was sitting at her desk. She looked hopelessly at the amount of files she had to sign off, but before she had time to grab the first file, Kyuhyun came into her office.

“They made an arrest in that case we had the other day,” he announced, slouching on one of her couches.

“Did they? Who was it,” she asked, sitting next to him, on the couch.

“A friend of his and like Luna predicted: he was drugged by his friend and then shot.”

“Why would a friend do something like that?”

“Apparently they were fighting over some sort of archaeological discovery the victim made and wouldn’t share with this so called friend,” explained Kyuhyun, waiting for an answer from Sooyoung. Sooyoung stared for a long time at the painting in front of her, before giving an answer.

“It’s sad how you think you know someone, but you don’t. I mean, this guy probably thought he knew his friend well enough, but his friend killed him. Over what? A work secret?”

“I guess keeping secret from each other isn’t a good idea then,” said Kyuhyun, looking over at Sooyoung, hoping to make eye contact with her. Just when she turned her head around, to look at him, her phone rang.

“Excuse me,” she said, getting up and walking over to her desk to answer the phone.

“Hello?” Kyuhyun looked at her answer the phone. The scene felt so familiar. Both of them, sitting on a couch, the phone rings, someone gets up to answer it, but somehow the look on Sooyoung’s face made it seem that the phone call wasn’t at all familiar for her. The conversation went on for a while, with Sooyoung taking notes occasionally and talking in English.

“I understand,” she finally said. “I’ll be there as soon as possible. Thank you very much, goodbye,” and with those words she hung up.

“I didn’t know you spoke English so well,” teased Kyuhyun, with a smile on his face, but when he saw her face, all the joy on his face went away. “What’s wrong?”

“Kyuhyun,” she breathed out. Forgetting all formalities she used with him.

“What’s wrong Summer,” he asked again.

“There are talks about a chemical attack in Syria. That was the UN. They are putting a team together to investigate the claims of a chemical attack.” A silence fell between them. Kyuhyun sat on the couch again, fearing what was coming next.

“They asked me to go and perform some autopsies…and I accepted,” she finally said. Kyuhyun suddenly felt very heavy, like the weight of the news had fallen on him and wouldn’t let him move and then a surge of energy and anger took over him.

“How could you accept something like that,” he snapped, getting up from the couch “Don’t you know how dangerous it is out there? It’s a full out civil war! What if something happens to you? What…” What will I do, he thought.

“What, what? Don’t you think I know about the situation out there? Don’t you think I’ve seen the images too? So what if something happens to me? So what? I don’t have the luxury you and Luna have. I don’t have someone waiting for me at the end of the day at home. So what if I die? No one will notice. No one will care,” she said, raising her voice with tears falling down her eyes in anger. “But I care about those people. I became a doctor to do something good, not sit back when I faced danger. I have a chance to bring justice to the people who died, no matter who committed the attack. Of all the persons out there, I would’ve thought you would understand the most. You are the cop, not me. Now leave, if you are not willing to help leave. You’re just some guy I got paired up with for work. It was too much to hope that I could share secrets with you.” Kyuhyun looked at the tears roll down Sooyoung’s chubby cheeks and sat down for the third time to absorb what she had just told him. Sooyoung looked at him in anger, pushing away the tears on her cheek with her hand.

“Didn’t you understand what I said? Leave,” she said, with a pleading voice. Kicking his leg, with her foot. “Leave.”

“What does your flight leave?” he asked, looking at the floor and ignoring her kicking.

“What?” she said, stopping her kicking.

“When does your flight leave?” he repeated firmly.

“Tomorrow afternoon. I fly to The Hague and then when the Syrian government gives the okay, we go to Damascus.”

“How long will you be there?”

“I don’t know, as long they need us.”

“I’ll bring you to the airport then?”

“What?”

“I’ll bring you to the airport tomorrow,” repeated Kyuhyun, losing patience. “Your parking fee will be expensive if you park your car there and I would hate talking that money away from the UN.”

“I can take the subway,” she mumbled.

“No, I’ll drive you,” insisted Kyuhyun.  

“Okay,” agreed Sooyoung, looking straight into Kyuhyun’s eyes and feared it could be one of the last times she’d get to see such beautiful eyes.

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

A/N: Omg, finally an update! Consider this my Christmas gift to you! Marry Chritmas or Holidays, and if I don't get a chance Happy New Year! I am so sorry for the super late update ;__; This semester was pretty hectic, but I do hope to update more starting from now! I am so excited about this story! Anyways, comments are always fun, I like to know whant you guys think of the update. Do you have any ideas? Special requests? Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this new chapter! Merry Christmas!