Live and Love

Something Flutters
Please log in to read the full chapter

Present Day

The halls are exactly how Sehun remembered. The lockers are still the same school colors, though it looks like they've received a fresh coat of paint since he graduated. He towers over them easily now, but there's something about coming back to his high school that makes him feel as though he's a teenager again, roaming the halls with his partner in crime.

 

“Nothing's really changed,” says Luhan as he squeezes Sehun's hand. He points at his old locker from senior year. “I think I still remember the combination.”

 

“Want to try? We can also see if you can fit in it now as an adult,” Sehun teases.

 

Luhan pinches Sehun's chin in retaliation. “Ha ha.”

 

Sehun smiles. “I can't wait to see everyone.”

 

“Same.”

 

Sehun would have liked to check out some of their old classrooms, but he could tell that Luhan was eager to enter the gymnasium, where their high school reunion celebration was being held. Honestly, it's quite unexpected to come back to their former school so soon, but Sehun couldn't come up with an excuse not to go. There were a few classmates he would love to see again. It's a nice opportunity to see how everyone was doing, what careers they've chosen, how they're coming along in terms of building a family.

 

The only thing Sehun didn't look forward to is the attention – how everyone is going to be hyper-focused on Luhan and him. He's sure most people in their school, teachers and faculty included, are interested in finding out their current relationship status. Yixing tells him that he gets questions about them all the time whenever he runs into an old classmate. Years later and people are still curious.

 

Sehun quickly finds out that he isn't wrong.

 

As soon as they enter, the guests all turn their heads and the whispering starts. Sehun puts on his best lawyer face, and Luhan, who notices this, laughs. “Sehun, we're not in the courtroom. Don't intimidate our classmates.”

 

“What if I want to intimidate them?”

 

“Sehun.”

 

“Fine.” He lets Luhan lead him to the middle of the party, mindful that they're still holding hands. A few of their classmates start to crowd around them, most of them cheerfully greeting Luhan before doing the same to Sehun. There's a bunch of small talk, but Luhan looks like he's having a great time catching up. Sehun simply stands by his side, occasionally answering questions thrown his way. Most people were interested in Luhan's restaurant and his new cookbook, as they should be. It's not exactly annoying to watch people close in on Luhan, but it's not something Sehun enjoys either. Thankfully, it's not long before Yixing and Suho approached them, knowing smiles on their faces.

 

“The guests of honor have finally arrived,” Suho announces, and Luhan smiles before giving him a playful tap on the arm. He turns back to chat with three of their former classmates.

 

“I thought you were going to arrive late to make a statement,” Yixing adds jokingly.

 

“That would be a Baekhyun move,” Sehun explains.

 

Yixing grins and Suho nods. “You're right.”

 

“You two look nice,” Sehun states. “Didn't think a doctor could pull off a neon-colored tie.”

 

“It glows in the dark,” Yixing explains, eyes brightening. “It's not as expensive as your tie, but I think its glowing quality can put it on top and name me 'Best Dressed' later.”

 

“There's no such thing, Xing,” Suho interjects.

 

“Not officially.”

 

Sehun laughs. “Right. Well, you definitely get my vote.”

 

“Thank you, Sehun.”

 

Sehun looks over to Luhan and sees him taking pictures with their classmates. He wonders if he'll appear in the background, forever watching over Luhan just like their old yearbook photos. Luhan likes to about it from time to time.

 

“Do you know if Tao is coming?” Suho asks.

 

“Unfortunately, he can't make it. Something about a new sub-company launch. He fears that everyone's thunder would be stolen if he suddenly appeared with his fabulous celebrity status. His words exactly.”

 

Yixing chuckles. “Typical Tao response.”

 

“Tell me why I'm excited to see you guys even though I see you almost every weekend,” demands Jongin as he walks up to them with Kyungsoo by his side.

 

Luhan turns around at the sound of Jongin's voice, and he immediately greets the two of them, giving Kyungsoo a hug.

 

“Because we're fantastic people,” Yixing answers. Kyungsoo rolls his eyes at this.

 

Jongin shakes his head. “That can't be it. Sehun is nowhere near fantastic.”

 

“You're right,” says Luhan. He gives Sehun a side hug as he returns to his side. “He's even better.”

 

Jongin rolls his eyes, causing Luhan to chuckle. “Spare me.”

 

Sehun opens his mouth to retort, but then Ms. Lee, Sehun's former homeroom teacher, approaches them, requesting to speak to Sehun. His friends all looked at him as if he was in trouble, and as he's walking away, Sehun could feel Luhan's curious gaze following the two of them.

 

“Is everything okay, Ms. Lee?”

 

“Oh. Um. Yes,” is Ms. Lee's embarrassed response as she takes out a magazine from her handbag. Sehun recognizes the cover immediately since Luhan keeps two copies at their house, one in the living room and one in his personal desk. “I know you're probably tired of hearing this request, but I was wondering if you could sign this for me?” she asks as she flips the magazine to the page with Sehun's photo.

 

He smiles and takes the magazine from her hands. She quickly hands him a red marker, the one she uses to grade her students' papers. “I would love to,” he says as he signs next to his face, underneath the bold heading that named him one of the most successful lawyers in the city.

 

“I just couldn't believe that one of my own students appeared in a magazine! I tell all of my students about you.”

 

“Hopefully only good things.” He hands her back the magazine and marker.

 

“Of course. I've always known you would be successful. I saw it in your eyes. You were always determined, Sehun.”

 

“I guess things turned out good for me.”

 

Ms. Lee smiles. “Better than good. I'm very proud of you, Sehun, for following your dreams.”

 

“Thanks, Ms. Lee. That really means a lot to me.”

 

She places the magazine back inside her handbag and tells him, “If you ever have any free time, do come by my class and have a talk with my students. They always need some motivation.”

 

“I would love that.”

 

She gives him a pat on the back just like old times. “Enjoy the rest of your night, Sehun.”

 

When Sehun makes it back to his group of friends, he finds only Luhan and Jongin because Yixing and Kyungsoo were somehow convinced to join their old chorus group to sing an impromptu song for the event.

 

“Did you get in trouble?” Jongin asks. “Did the school find out you didn't get enough credits to actually graduate?” he adds with a chuckle.

 

“No, but Ms. Lee did mention you not passing a certain class,” Sehun counters.

 

“Right,” says Jongin, his eyes looking a bit more serious than before. Sehun tries not to laugh at his slightly gullible best friend.

 

“Why did Ms. Lee call you over?” Luhan asks.

 

“Oh. She wanted me to sign something,” answers Sehun as he puts his arm around Luhan's shoulder.

 

“That's sweet,” says Luhan, looking like he wants to kiss Sehun.

 

“Look who's finally here,” interrupts Jongin, his eyes on the crowd of people swarming one of the most famous student from their year.

 

Kim Jongdae. The celebrity chef with his own cooking show. A familiar friendly face for all the moms in Korea.

 

“I'm surprised he didn't come with his team,” Sehun states. He remembers Jongdae asking if he could bring his manager and stylist to his and Luhan's wedding. It was an odd request, but Luhan was too nice to say no.

 

Upon spotting Luhan, Jongdae excuses himself from the adoring crowd and heads to where they are. He greets Luhan with a wide smile. “It's been so long, Luhan! How have you been?” He pulls Luhan into a tight hug before Luhan could answer and holds him for longer than necessary. Jongdae's eyes are on Sehun, and he recognizes that mischievous glint. That sneaky devil.

 

As soon as he releases Luhan, Jongdae offers his right hand to Sehun. “Hey, Sehun. You probably want to tell me that I shouldn't be hugging Luhan for that long.”

 

Sehun calmly shakes his hand. “You know it, Kim Jongdae.”

 

“Bothers you, doesn't it?”

 

“A bit.”

 

Jongdae grins. “Consider it payback for all the times you answered Luhan's door without a shirt on.”

 

Luhan's eyes widen. “Wait – Sehun, you answered the door without a shirt?!”

 

“I knew it was Jongdae,” Sehun explains.

 

“Don't be mad at him, Luhan,” says Jongdae. “It makes me feel special that Oh Sehun would go out of his way to discomfort me.”

 

“Well, I had to entertain you somehow. Otherwise you would just terrorize the hallway.”

 

“I wasn't –”

 

“Okay, you two,” Luhan jumps in, recognizing that Jongdae and Sehun were engaging in one of their many mental games. “Nice to see you here, Jongdae. We honestly didn't think you were coming.”

 

“And miss this?” Jongdae gestures towards the jubilant crowd. “Never.”

 

“No entourage today?” Jongin asks, taking his spot next to Sehun.

 

Jongdae looks at Jongin carefully as if he just realized Jongin was there. “No, I gave them a day off. They deserve a break.”

 

“How generous of you.”

 

“Of course.” Jongdae takes a look around, his eyes searching for something. “Ah. I see the school's chorus line is preparing something.....What is Suho doing there?”

 

Sehun looks over to the chorus line and spots Suho standing next to Yixing, looking deeply immersed in what was being said by the frail chorus teacher, who apparently didn't realize he was never one of her students.

 

“He has attachment issues,” answers Jongin.

 

“Thinks he could blend in,” Sehun adds.

 

“The poor soul is obsessed with that dimpled genius,” says Jongdae as he shakes his head. He turns his attention to Sehun. “I have a proclamation for you, Sehun.”

 

“I'm listening.”

 

“This hasn't been revealed anywhere yet, so you're one of the few people who are hearing this first. I actually have big plans for next year, and I was hoping you would help me.”

 

“With?”

 

“I plan on starting my own network. It was great having my own show on SBS, but I think I'm ready to branch out and expand my brand. In order to get the best out of my negotiations with the studio heads, I need a strong legal team.”

 

“And you're interested in hiring my team?”

 

“You weren't named one of the top firms in the country for no reason, correct?”

 

Sehun smirks. “Correct.”

 

“Then yes, I am interested in your firm helping me with this transition. What do you say?”

 

Sehun takes a moment to contemplate Jongdae's offer. He knows his team can easily get Jongdae the deal he desires. Also, Jongdae's celebrity status would just enhance their clientele profile. It's almost a no-brainer that he should take the offer.

 

“Well, I say –” Sehun takes out one of his business cards and hands it to Jongdae. “You got yourself a new legal team.”

 

Luhan gasps. “Sehun! You brought your business cards with you?”

 

“Babe, I swear it was already in the suit.”

 

Luhan crosses his arms in disapproval. “You said you were going to keep work out of this.”

 

“Jongdae brought it up first.”

 

“He has a point,” states Jongdae. “There's nothing wrong with Sehun being prepared. I actually appreciate that quality of his.”

 

“Yeah, I say you should still punish him,” Jongin interjects, earning a glare from Sehun.

 

“Well, since you have your business cards with you, I guess I can go ahead and tell our classmates that they can come to you for legal advice. A few of them were too nervous to approach you with questions, but that should no longer be a problem,” says Luhan before walking away.

 

“Thanks a lot, Jongin.”

 

Jongin squeezes Sehun's shoulders. “That's what best friends are for.”

 

“You got yourself a tough one,” Jongdae notes. “I bet you rarely win at home.”

 

Sehun scoffs. “I win sometimes.”

 

Jongin and Jongdae both look at Sehun as if he was telling them something strange. Something unimaginable. Sehun rolls his eyes. “I said sometimes.”

 

“Once in a blue moon then,” Jongdae quips with a knowing grin.

 

“And just for that, I'm charging you extra.” Sehun grins when Jongdae's smile falters at the mention of money. It's nice to win against someone.

 

After spending half an hour dishing out legal advice to his classmates, Sehun finds his way to a round table near the front, one facing the stage. He sits down next to Luhan, who doesn't turn to look at him.

 

“Lesson learned,” Sehun tells him.

 

Luhan looks at him innocently. “What lesson?”

 

Jongdae, who's sitting o

Please log in to read the full chapter