The Red Moon

My Enemy, My Lover
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Today was the day of the Red Moon Ball. Both the Tenebris and Cinereo clans were bustling around, preparing for the one night of unity between the two clans.

The Tenebris clan was hosting the ball this year. Early in the morning, Yiru was already at the ballroom, supervising the preparation for tonight’s event. She walked around the room with her hands on her hips and her lips pursed in concentration as she watched the helpers move the tables along the sides of the ballroom.

Suddenly, Yiru heard footsteps approaching her and looked up to see her brother, Lay.

“Lay,” Yiru greeted once he was close enough. “To what do I owe this visit?”

“Need some help?” he asked. “You’ve been here for a few hours. Maybe you’d like to go get ready for the ball?”

“I’m fine,” Yiru answered curtly. “Plus I wouldn’t exactly trust you supervise which decorations should go where.”

Lay nodded. “Yeah, not really my forte.”

Yiru could sense the awkwardness between them. She was still irritated at him due to his confrontation a couple nights ago. As much as she loved her brother and appreciated his protection, she didn’t need his input in her love life and wished he would just let her do what she wanted. She knew what she was doing and what the consequences were. But she was also careful.

But she also didn’t like fighting with her brother, so Yiru figured it was time to forgive him. “Maybe you can go help set up the tables,” she suggested in a more friendly tone.

Lay offered a small smile. “Sure thing.”

“Thanks.” Yiru smiled back at him.

►◄►◄►◄

After a few more hours of setting up the dance hall, Yiru finally made her way back to the cabin to get ready for the ball. She was already tired, and a small part of her felt like skipping the ball altogether. But that wasn’t an option for her as she was one of the hosts. Plus, there was a gorgeous dress waiting to be worn by her. To be honest, one of the only reasons she wanted to go to the ball was so that Baekhyun could see her in the most beautiful dress she could ever wear. She, of course, also wanted to see Baekhyun in his formal attire.

Yiru first took a long, relaxing bath before she started to prep herself. She didn’t bother hiring anyone to help her as she thought she could make herself up decently enough. After her bath, she wrapped her damp hair in a towel and put on her white, silky robe. She made her way to the vanity and began putting her makeup on. Yiru decided to only put a little bit of makeup to allow her natural beauty to show. But for a pop of color, she applied red lipstick onto her lips - alluring, yet intimidating.

Once her hair finished drying, she curled it and let it fall around her face in loose wave. She then adorned her hair with two gold, leafy hairpins to pin some of her curls back on both sides of her head.

Now, it was time for her dress. She stripped herself of her white robe and walked over to the beautiful red dress that hung on the door of her closet. She slipped on the dress and looked at her reflection in her mirror. She ran her hands down the front of the dress, feeling the lacey, tulle fabric that covered most of the dress. The long sleeves of the dress were fitted around her arms and were almost see-through due to the thin, tulle material. The neckline, which was also made of the thin tulle, was quite high, sitting on top of her collarbone. Her favorite part of the dress, was the flowing red skirt that fell to her ankles and showed her black heels ,decorated with an intricate gold design. Her dress would allow her to move with ease as she danced around the ballroom - with, she wished, Baekhyun.

At the thought of Baekhyun, Yiru frowned a little. She was quite upset that she would not be able to dance with him tonight - at least, not without being looked upon by many pairs of scrutinizing eyes.

Suddenly, there was a knock on her door. Yiru looked up at the mirror, where she could see Lay opening the door to her bedroom. Her eyes locked with his and they both smiled at each other.

Lay walked towards Yiru with a velvet box in his hand. “You look very beautiful, Yiru,” he complimented.

“Thank you,” Yiru replied. “You clean up quite nicely yourself.”

Lay was in an all black suit with a silky black collared shirt underneath. On one side of his suit jacket, there was also a golden sun-like pin beside the lapel.

“What do you have there?” Yiru asked, pointing at the box in Lay’s hand.

Lay came closer to Yiru and handed her the box. Yiru took it from him and opened it slowly. Sitting in the center was a gold collar necklace with holes that formed a simple design along the curvy edges and a long chain of small leaves that dangled down from the collar. Yiru lifted it up from its silky bed and examined it closely.

“Our mother wore it to her last Red Moon Ball before she passed away,” Lay explained. “I’m sure she would have loved it if you wore it as well.”

“It’s beautiful,” Yiru commented with a smile. It was at this moment where she started to have nostalgic feelings of her deceased parents, who took her to her first ball many red moons ago. She remembered her mother wearing the same collar necklace with her flowing white dress. She was a beauty, and it was evident that Yiru inherited her genes.

“Let me put it on for you,” Lay offered. He stood behind Yiru and took the necklace to fasten it around her neck. Once he was done, both of them looked at Yiru’s reflection in the mirror. “Perfect,” Lay whispered. And it was. The necklace definitely gave a great finish to Yiru’s ensemble.  

“Are you ready?” Lay asked quietly with his hand held out to her.

Yiru nodded and took his hand. The two siblings made their way out of Yiru’s bedroom and down the hall. Lay suddenly stopped at the top of the stairs and let go of Yiru’s hand. Yiru looked up at him questioningly. Then, Lay raised his fist up to his mouth and cleared his throat. It was then that Yiru realized the other Exo-M members were all standing in the foyer near the bottom of the stairs. They all stared up to look at Yiru after Lay cleared his throat, looks of awe evident on their faces when they saw Yiru’s beautiful appearance.

“I would like to present the beautiful shewolf of our pack, Alpha Yiru,” Lay announced with a proud smile. Yiru stared back at him with a look that feigned annoyance, but she could not hide her amusement. Lay then ushered her to go down the stairs to make her grand entrance. “Practice for later,” he whispered.

Yiru looked forward again and gracefully made her way down the stairs. She noticed that Kris was at the end of the staircase, waiting for her with her red cloak. He opened it up to her as she neared him. “You look amazing,” he whispered to her. Yiru thanked him as she stepped into her cloak. Kris then offered Yiru his arm to which Yiru hesitantly linked her own arm.

Kris and Yiru led the rest of the pack out of the cabin and to the vehicle that would take them to the ball. As they drove to the dance hall, Yiru looked out of the window. The bright red moon was nearing its peak in the cloudless sky. Once it reached its peak, the two wolf clans would start the Red Moon ceremony that Yiru would help lead. She didn’t let on, but she was very nervous as it was her very first Red Moon ceremony as the Alpha female. And it might be her only one, considering that the ceremony only happened every ten years. It was questionable whether she would still be the Alpha fema

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter