Happiness

My Enemy, My Lover
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sound of crunching leaves and snapping twigs filled the air as Yiru sprinted through the forest. She was a blur between the trees due to her unearthly speed. Her eagerness to see Baekhyun was getting the best of her even though it had only been a day since they last saw each other. Her adrenaline was pumping, and her mind was clouded with thoughts of Baekhyun and their last meeting. Nothing else mattered at the moment. She didn't care that it was four o'clock in the morning or that the sun hadn't even risen yet. She figured she and Baekhyun could watch it together, and she knew Baekhyun was already waiting for her in a secluded part of the forest, far from any civilization. It was a perk that came with mating, being able to sense where one's mate was. 

A few meters away, Yiru could see Baekhyun standing in the middle of a circular, treeless area. The area was about two miles from the river and was on Tenebris grounds. Yiru thought it was quite brave of Baekhyun to cross the boundary numerous times for her sake. She had only crossed the river to the Cinereo territory once when she and Baekhyun had their first secret meeting. 

Once she was a few strides away, Yiru picked up her pace and bolted to where Baekhyun, whose back was turned to her, was standing. A smile formed on her face when she was only a few inches away from him. 

Baekhyun turned around as he heard the light, quick footsteps behind him, but before he could completely catch sight of the runner, Yiru tackled him to the ground with her hands on each of his shoulders. He grunted once his back hit the ground with a thud, while Yiru laughed. Baekhyun couldn't help but chuckle along with her. 

Yiru looked down at Baekhyun's face as she lay down on top of his body. His eyes were closed, and a small grin was on his face. "Hi," she whispered softly.

Baekhyun slowly opened his eyes and found Yiru gazing down at him with her dark brown eyes, but he could see tiny specks of red in them. "Hi there," he replied. "This is an odd way of greeting someone."

She knew he was referring to her tackling him. "I like to keep things interesting," Yiru said with a small smirk. 

"Everything is interesting whenever we're together."

Yiru nodded in agree. "That's true." And without even thinking about it, she pecked him on the lips before helping him up to his feet. Baekhyun was a bit surprised at her sudden display of affection, but he couldn't deny the fact that he liked it, maybe a little too much even. 

"Are we crazy for wanting to meet at four in the morning? The sun hasn't even risen yet," Baekhyun said as he caressed the back of Yiru's hand, which she had offered him to help him up from the ground a few seconds ago. 

"I don't think we are." Yiru grasped his hand tighter and started to drag him forward. "Come on." Baekhyun let Yiru lead him to the trees surrounding the open area. She stopped in front of a very tall tree then looked up at him. "Let's climb up."

Baekhyun stared at her in bewilderment. "We're wolves, not birds," he joked. He wasn't necessarily afraid of heights, but he preferred solid ground over a shaky branch, which could break under his weight. If he could morph into a winged creature, then maybe he would enjoy being up in a tree. He was okay with climbing on low branches, but he couldn't stomach the feeling of being so high up.

Yiru didn't reply to his joke and was oblivious to his uneasy gaze. She began to climb up the tree with ease and gracefulness. 

Everything she does is so perfect and beautiful. Baekhyun looked up at her ascending figure while his hands lay still on the trunk of the tree. 

"What are you doing just standing there? Climb up," Yiru said as she looked down to find Baekhyun looking dazedly at her. 

Baekhyun snapped out of his thoughts and did as he was told. Cautiously, he put a foot on a sturdy branch and pulled himself upward. He continued to do so until he reached the branch Yiru was sitting on.Yiru reached her hand out to him, which he gladly took, and pulled him onto the branch. Once he was situated, Baekhyun breathed out and looked down. The ground was so far away. "Wow...We're really up high."

"It's great, isn't it?" Yiru said with a dreamy smile.

"Yeah...great. Definitely." 

Yiru picked up on the uneasiness in his voice and turned to face him. "Are you afraid of heights?" she suddenly asked.

Baekhyun blinked at her before replying, "Not necessarily. I just prefer the ground."

"Most wolves do." Yiru chuckled as she held her hand out to him. "Will you feel better if you hold my ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter