Plum Blossoms in Wuhan

Wanderlust
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

East Lake was located in the eastern suburb of Wuchang, a district in Wuhan, and was the biggest urban lake in China. The total area was more than 80km². East Lake covered an area of 33km². It bearded a bird sanctuary, bird whistling woods, museums, boat rides, fishing, cycling, an aquarium, the biggest sand beach bathing area, Friendship Forest and many other activities.

An important part of the famous Wuhan East Lake Scenic Area, Mo Hill, also called Millstone Hill, lied southeast of East Lake. Covering a total area of about 5 square kilometers, it boasted abundant plants and unique gardens. Characterized by a beautiful landscape, abundant plants, Mo Hill Scenic Area attracted many tourists. In this area, the Chu cultural theme park displayed the Chu culture in China. The Botanical Viewing Garden where more than 360 kinds of plants were nursed in 13 special gardens with flowers blooming all the year round - orchids and cherry blossoms in spring, lotus in summer, osmanthus in autumn, and plum blossoms in winter - was also a tourist attraction.  Many different kinds of flowers bloomed over the whole year, and one could see various interesting strange and rare species growing vigorously in the large greenhouse. There was the Aquatic Plant Garden, Rare Endangered Plant Garden, Chinese Gooseberry Garden, Ornamental Garden, Tree Garden, Pine and Cypress Garden and Bamboo Garden for example.

However, two of the most famous were the Cherry Blossom Garden and the Plum Blossom Garden. And that was where Luhan took Mei to.

Their second day in Wuhan was planned for the East Lake Scenic Area. Despite how much Mei protested to do something Luhan really wanted to do, it was him who practically forced her to visit the things she really wanted to see.

Though, truthfully, there was nothing more to see for Luhan than Mei’s happy smile. He would follow her anywhere just to spend a blissful time with her as possible. (He just needed her and her happiness, nothing more.)

“Do you know why I brought you here?” Luhan asked as they walked through the Plum Blossom Garden. This part of the Garden was not as crowded as the Lotus area, because it was not the time of the year where the flowers would bloom. Tourists directly headed to see the blossoming, colorful lotuses at another part of the garden.

The plum blossom was also called the city flower of Wuhan. The fruit of the tree was used in Chinese, Japanese and Korean cooking in juices, as a flavoring for alcohol, as a pickle and in sauces. It was also used in traditional medicine. The tree started to flower in mid-winter, typically around January until late February in East Asia and was highly regarded as a seasonal symbol. They had colors in varying shades of white, pink, and red. The skin turned yellow, sometimes with a red blush, as it ripened, and the flesh becomes yellow.

The plum blossom was one of the most beloved flowers in China and had been depicted in Chinese art and poetry for centuries. It was seen as a symbol of winter and a harbinger of spring. The blossoms were so beloved because they were viewed most vibrantly blooming amidst the winter snow, exuding an ethereal elegance, while their fragrance was noticed to still subtly ade the air at even the coldest times of the year.

Therefore the plum blossom came to symbolize perseverance and hope, but also beauty and purity.

The plum blossom was known as the meihua (梅花), shortly mei (梅).

“How do you know this?” Mei asked, very surprised, yet truly touched.

“Hmm… I’m doing my research.” Luhan replied with a slight grin and looked up to the tree crowns where, instead of colorful blossoms, lush green leaves and fruits were hanging on the limbs.

She followed his gaze and covered her sight with her hand, protecting her eyes from the sun. Luhan had brought her to the flowers which had given her her name. Deep inside, Mei felt so warm and languorous that she thought the bliss would nearly drown her. She wondered whether he knew the meaning of the flower too. (She hoped he did.) However, Luhan’s act made her feel important, that she had somehow grown very close to him (because he had grown close to her too).

“Have you ever seen the plum tree blossoming?” She questioned. “The blossoms truly are beautiful.”

“I’m sure they are. Almost as beautiful as you.”

In a beat of a second, Mei felt like her whole body was set on fire. But it was not that kind of one which would hurt your skin, making you feel endless pain and causing you to scream because the pain was not bearable anymore. It was not the kind which you wish that would stop. It caused her heat, it engulfed her soul, it burnt her heart – it was almost unbearable, but it was pleasant. It was dangerously pleasant. So dangerous that she almost wished that it wouldn’t stop anymore.

Mei found herself blushing and according to the heat it had set in her body, her face must have been so red that it could make the red poppy envy her. Luckily, Luhan was not looking at her, so she had quite a time to calm down which she quickened with slow inhales and exhales. She tried to calm down, but somehow… it was much difficult than she had thought.

Mei didn’t know when she had felt like that the last time. Or better say… Mei didn’t know whether she had ever felt like this. It was pleasant, but it somehow scared her, because it was so intense.

“Your name, Mei 美, means beauty. And the flower symbolizes beauty, so therefore, beauty comes to symbolize you.”

(But not only beauty, Luhan thought.)

The plum blossom symbolized perseverance, therefore, the perseverance symbolized Mei. Because hidden behind her shyness, there was actually a woman who could be really persevere if she truly wanted to reach an aim.

The plum blossom symbolized hope, therefore, hope symbolized Mei. Because hidden behind her strict plans and strong schedule, there was actually a woman who was hoping for much more in her life.

The plum blossom symbolized purity, there, purity symbolized Mei. Because never in his life had Luhan ever met a person as pure, innocent and sincere as Mei.

Luhan’s words were honest, coming from the deepest of his heart. (And Mei knew it.)

“Thank you,” she said, feeling how the heat in her body got replaced with something which would last a little longer that day. Something like a little flame, which was set in her heart and would now linger there.

“Come, let’s see the lotuses.” Luhan was one step ahead to hide from her his smug smirk and his reddened face.

 

*click*

Luhan looked at the picture he had just taken and then at Mei who faced him with a rather worried expression. They were at the Lotus Area and stood by the little lake where behind of them, the flowers were adorning the landscape with their colorful and majestic appearance.

(Luhan found it was the best picture they had taken together because Mei looked very well-rested, fresh and probably more beautiful today if it was possible. It was like… something had moved her.)

Luhan laughed. “It’s not that bad,” he teased and she sighed, smiling in relief.

“Excuse me?”

Simultaneously, they turned around and surprisingly, the face they encountered was very familiar.

“Ah, I knew it was you!” The woman from the day before laughed and bowed, Luhan and Mei following the act and greeting her with a “Hello!”

“Where is your baby?” Mei asked as she saw that the woman was alone. She found it very pitiful, because her child was very sweet and it was somehow very fun to took care and play with him (together with Luhan).

“With his grandmother. Admittedly, I get tired too, sometimes, and my mother is always glad to take care of him, because she somehow misses her children in her house after we moved out. I’m Yue.”

“I’m Mei.”

“I’m Luhan.”

“Well, I’m glad I’ve met you here, because I am currently on lunch break. Do you want to join me?”

Mei and Luhan exchanged gazes, but it didn’t take them long to realize that either of them got quite hungry during midday so Mei just smiled when Luhan nodded, assuring her that he was thinking the same.

“We would gladly join you,” Luhan answered.

Yue let out a happily laughter and nodded. “I’m very glad! I would love to get to know more about the couple who took care of my children. I know it was very careless, but I can assure you that, if you would have been some criminal couple and would have taken my child away, I would have found you and brought you to the court.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter