Episode 1 (Part 3)

Monstar (Season 2): One-shot

[Background music in Indie Club: Typical jazz music]

Eun-jae gets passed through (for the first time in a nightclub) without anyone, even the two guardmen at the front door, noticing him being a minor. Instead, they check on other people entering the nightclub. It isn't a sleazy nightclub as what Eun-jae heard about those sleazy ones. Once he entered the nightclub's hallroom, it just like he has stepped inside a wooden cabin house. 

There he saw the interior decoration of some indie records along with posters of some famous indie bands like "Busker Busker" and "No Reply" for examples.

Eun-jae doesn't know why he's doing this when he doesn't even know his soon-to-be classmates well.  However, Eun-jae knows this isn't right for them being here. He'll do whatever it takes to get them out of here. He stands at a corner some moment until a microphone's wavesound is heard. The host of the nightclub is about to make an announcement.

Eun-jae: (whispers to himself) Where have they gone?

Host: (smiles widely) Good evening, everyone! Welcome to Indie Club! Tonight, you won't be feeling tired on a Monday night. We've got a band from one of the best bands in Hongdae...

[The host then talks about how he come to love some of his favourite indie bands that he made most of the customers fall asleep eventually. Somehow he's trying to drag his story for some reason.]

Eun-jae: (unconsciously walks backwards to a bar stand) (monologue) What?/ Mwo-yah? He's looking awkward.

Bartender: What drink would you like, kid?

[The bartender, who appears to be in his 20s, wearing glasses, and dressed up in a dark suit, startles Eun-jae. However, Eun-jae tries to be calm by ordering a drink without any suspicion of him being a minor.]

Eun-jae: Do you serve coffee here?

Bartender: (smirks) I know you're not supposed to be here. You're a minor, aren't you? (Eun-jae's eyes wide open) But since this is your first time, I'll let you go. We do serve coffee here you know.

Eun-jae: Oh. Then, I'll have a Mocha drink.

[The bartender walks towards a coffee maker machine to make Eun-jae's drink.]

Host: (wiping his forehead with a handkerchief) Well, I can ensure you that you'll be hyped up with this trio band performing tonight. With the help of our favourite regular guests...

Jong-hyuk and Jin-hyuk!

Eun-jae: [monologue] What's taking for this band so long to appear? (walks forward while looking at the host) No sign of...

[Eun-jae gets run into a girl wearing something similar to what Eun-jae is wearing now with the exception of her wearing black boots and a white T-shirt with a picture of a broke black heart at the centre. Then, Eun-jae notices her being the girl with her two other friends of Buk-chon High. She looks really different with all the smoky make-up now. The girl's eyes focused on Eun-jae's face for a moment until...]

Soo-bin: Shin-kyung, hurry. We're late already. [Soo-bin dresses similar like Shin-kyung, except her white sneakers and just wearing a dark purple T-shirt.]

Shin-kyung: (turns to look at Soo-bin's face with smoky make-up on) Alright. I'm coming. (leaves Eun-jae standing still)

In fact, it isn't a surprise for Eun-jae to see all of them (including the three boys) coming out of the washrooms with smoky make-up on their faces. The boys dress like they were the band members of Oasis.

The five of them are up on stage already with the host welcoming them as "Echo Band"

(에코 밴드) which most of the guests there think it's a lame name. Every member is getting ready with the tuning and the adjusting of their amplifiers.

Tae-young: Noona, who is that guy?

Shin-kyung: (adjusts her keyboard and microphone) Molla./Don't know.

Soo-bin: (tuning her guitar) That guy is quite handsome.

Tae-young: (already holding his bass) He's not, Soo-bin.

Soo-bin: Why? (smiles cheekily) You sound upset to hear me saying...

Shin-kyung: Quiet. We're starting now.

[Then, as drummer Jin-hyuk counts the beat with his drumsticks, it has begun for this band to capture everyone's heart on Echo Band's performance. Eun-jae is watching the band with full attention even if the vocal is being performed by guitarist Jong-hyuk.]

https://soundcloud.com/ms_kimsayoung/your-song-leopon

[JUMP CUT]

The guests at Indie Club give a lukewarm applause. Some of them complains about this band's performance of being "recycled". It's really harsh to Echo Band hearing these comments. Eun-jae however thinks they're good performing tonight. As he remembers his purpose, he walks towards the Echo Band members walking down the stairs at the stage's right side.

Jong-hyuk: How was my singing, Shin-kyung? (instantly grabs her right hand gently in his)

Shin-kyung: (smiles reluctantly) You were great, Oppa! So good that we should all team up to take part in the festival. (ignores Soo-bin and Tae-young's awkward looks at her flirting with Jong-hyuk)

Jong-hyuk: Alright. Maybe after the competition I'll be ready to be your guy then. Hehe.

[Background music: https://soundcloud.com/ms_kimsayoung/17-1-17-to-1-of-legend]

Shin-kyung: Oh...That would be...

Eun-jae: Wrong. (notices the members staring at him) Sorry to interrupt, but I need (stands close to Shin-kyung) to take my classmates away from here.

Tae-young: Oh. You're the guy Noona ran into just now.

Shin-kyung: (glares at Eun-jae) Excuse me/Iboseyo who the heck are you?

Eun-jae: Me? (adjusts his guitar bag forward a little) Well, you're my classmates. The three of you.

Jin-hyuk: Classmates? (looks confused) Wait...(eyes on Shin-kyung, Soo-bin, and Tae-young) are you all minors? Hyung, this...

Jong-hyuk: Shin-kyung, is it true? (raises his voice) You're a minor?!

Shin-kyung: Oppa, (begins to stutter a little) it's ridiculous hearing this...(glares at Eun-jae) "Snitch" claiming to be my classmate!

Eun-jae: (notices a woman who seems to be the nightclub owner, at the barstand, watching his conversation with Echo Band)

Hey./Yah(grabs Shin-kyung's left wrist) We've gotta leave right now.

Shin-kyung: Let go, Snitch! (talks angrily) I don't know who you are, but you're ruining my chance in entering the festival!

Jong-hyuk: Eun Shin-kyung, what's going on with you and him?

Soo-bin: (eyes looking worried) Shin-kyung, please tone down your voice. That host lady is watching us over there.

Shin-kyung: (ignores Soo-bin's warning) Oppa, (looking upset at Jong-hyuk) I've nothing to do with this punk! Let go at once, Snitch!

Eun-jae: (whispers sternly) Hey! Calm down! We'll be in jail once we stick around...

Shin-kyung: What rubbish you're talling me!! (right hand grabs her wrist) Let me go now!

[Her wrist is freed from Eun-jae's hand, but immediately her left hand knocks down the host (Tak Jae-hoon) who also tries to calm this tension down. To make matters worse, he knocks down a male waiter behind him. The waiter falls backwards along with the tray full of empty cups he carried in his hands. He didn't get cut by the shards of glass as the tray has fallen further away from him. By then, everyone is staring and whispering: "What's this?", "I think we should leave. It's not safe...", etc.]

Lady Boss: Security! [The guards coming from the entrance have entered the nightclub.] (points at Echo Band's standing) Get those minors! They're ruining this business here!!

Eun-jae: Run! (suddenly grabs Shin-kyung's hand with her looking startled) Go, (eyes on Soo-bin and Tae-young) go!

Shin-kyung: Woah! (looks at Jong-hyuk) Oppa, I'll contact you!

[Thus begins the chase scene of the two security guards trying to catch the youngsters. Guard #1 chasing Eun-jae and Shin-kyung, and Guard #2 chasing Soo-bin and Tae-young.] (Example: SUFFB chase scene in episode 1)

[JUMP CUT]

Guard #2: Kids! Stop right now!

Soo-bin and Tae-young run through the main entrance door, making other people coming in be startled of their running away from Guard #2. Eventually, they hide in a crowd who are admiring an indie band performing on the streets. Guard #2 don't see them, and runs straight ahead, mistaking another two youngsters as Soo-bin and Tae-young. Then, as he has realised his mistake, Soo-bin and Tae-young runs again far away from the nightclub area.

Meanwhile, Eun-jae and Shin-kyung are still running through the lounges. They nearly get caught by Guard #1 who says "It's over now. Hehe...", but Eun-jae sees an emergency exit on his right. He pulls Shin-kyung towards the exit door.

Guard #2: Hey! (chases them) Stop, you kids!

Shin-kyung: (grumbles) This isn't helping...

Eun-jae: (eyes on the motorbikes at the right) Here!

They dive behind the motorbikes and sit still quietly. Then, it works when the guard stops and looks around to find them, but gives up when he meets Guard #1.

Guard #1: The kids I've chased are gone. You?

Guard #2: Same here. Let's just go.

The guards leave the scene where Eun-jae and Shin-kyung peeks out to see whether the coast is clear.

Eun-jae: They're gone. (looks at Shin-kyung) We're safe.

Shin-kyung: (shrugs off his hand holding hers) Well, I wish I won't see you again, Snitch. (stands up)

Eun-jae: Are you sure? (stands up) Because tomorrow...

Shin-kyung: You...(glares at Eun-jae) How can you say this with a straight face? Aren't you ashamed?

Eun-jae: I didn't do anything wrong. Anyway, I see you want me to leave you immediately, but let me take you to a crowded place. It's dark here.

Shin-kyung: You...I don't need

Eun-jae: Please./Jebal. (talks sternly) I won't bother you again after tonight.

Shin-kyung doesn't say a word, and walks off with Eun-jae walking behind her.

[JUMP CUT]

[In the middle of a crowded Hongdae street]

Tae-young: That jerk! (whiny voice) How dare he ruined Noona's plan!

Soo-bin: Tae-young, I think it was for the best. Do you think we'll be able to keep up with the lie of being 20 something when we register then? The guys will find out by then, and they'll be upset for lying to them.

Tae-young: But, we don't have a guitarist and a drummer.

Soo-bin: You're a good drummer. And one guitarist would be enough for ourselves.

Tae-young: Yes, but we really need a bassist for our song at the Band Festival.

Soo-bin: We'll talk later. There's Shin-kyung now.

Tae-young: Noona! (runs towards Shin-kyung and Eun-jae) Are you okay?

Shin-kyung: (sounding tired) Oh. I'm fine.

Tae-young: (glares at Eun-jae) Punk, apologise to Noona.

Eun-jae: (ignores Tae-young's words) Be careful when you go home. Your parents are getting worried...

Shin-kyung: Hey. I'm tired listening to your lectures. (glares at Eun-jae) What about you? You're on the same page with us.

Eun-jae: (sighs) Goodbye then. (looks at Shin-kyung intensely) See you tomorrow. (walks off with a straight face)

[When Eun-jae leaves the scene of crowded Hongdae]

Tae-young: What did he say just now?

Shin-kyung: See you tomorrow...(scoffs) I had enough of today's disaster. Guys, let's go.

Soo-bin: Where?

Shin-kyung: My treat for the rice cakes. (smiles faintly)

[JUMP CUT]

Eun-jae walks up the stairs with him carrying his guitar bag on his back firmly. When he arrives at the rooftop, he sees Teacher Choi, dressed in a black tracksuit, facing and knocking on the entrance door. He's carrying a big, red bag in his hand.

Eun-jae: (walks towards Teacher Choi looking upset) Uncle.

Teacher Choi: (turns around and talk sternly) Jang Eun-jae. I couldn't contact you.

Eun-jae: Mian. My handphone was off the whole time. But, why are you here?

Teacher Choi: (hands the bag to Eun-jae) Your school uniform.

Eun-jae: (glances at the red bag) You didn't have to. (takes the bag's handle)

I haven't paid...

Teacher Choi: Don't worry about the payment. I've settled it already. So, how long are you gonna stay here? Aren't you going back to Okinawa later on?

Eun-jae: Actually, (silent for a moment) I'm staying here. For now.

Teacher Choi: Alone here?

Eun-jae: This is where Mom...

Teacher Choi: Eun-jae. Your Mom... (sighs) I've called your Noona this afternoon. She told me you're on bad terms with your dad.

Eun-jae looks angry when he hears the word "dad".

Teacher Choi: Look, Eun-jae. Tomorrow you can come to school, but after that I'll be arranging your flight to Okinawa. I mean, you being alone here. Unless you move in with me. Don't live here. It's...

Eun-jae: Troublesome? This is Mom's place. I'm staying here from now on.

Teacher Choi: What's going on? Why are you angry with your dad?

Eun-jae: (coldly replies) I don't have a dad.

Teacher Choi: (raises his voice) Jang Eun-jae! What happened? I thought you're okay with Hyungnim and Eun-hye for the past 3 years.

Eun-jae: You don't know? That person... caused Mom's death. (tears well up)

Teacher Choi: What do you mean? (silent) That person is your dad...

Eun-jae: I'm tired. Goodnight, Uncle.

Teacher Choi: Eun-jae!

Eun-jae slams the door. Teacher Choi is unable to move for a second as he sighs heavily, thinking what kind of trouble Eun-jae is having.

[JUMP CUT]

Once Eun-jae sits down at a long table, he puts his guitar bag gently on the floor beside him. The room is a bit old to live in, but as Eun-jae got here yesterday, he did decorating this room with album posters of his Mom's favourite indie bands. Luckily the room still has good lighting to be . Putting the red bag on the table, he takes out his school uniform and stares at it, espcially at its school badge. Eun-jae frowns and sighs when most teenagers should be happy of their first day of school. He hangs his school uniform in the closet containing his casual clothes. 

[Background music: https://soundcloud.com/ms_kimsayoung/wandering-stars]

The closet has a medium-sized baggage below, which Eun-jae takes it out from the closet. He ped the baggage and it reveals a stuff of Eun-jae's happy memories of some bright-coloured accessories and T-shirts.

Then, he sees a picture frame of his family photo taken at a park. Eun-jae and his mom were sitting on the bench with him hugging his mom cheekily. His Noona and Dad were standing behind them, smiling at the camera. Eun-jae's eyes well up with sadness as he sees his mom able to give a sincere smile even if she looked suffocating in her son's arms.

[JUMP CUT - Flashback to a few days ago]

"Eun-jae!"

Eun-jae stopped for a moment and turned back to see Eun-hye calling him desperately.

"Eun-jae, jebal."

Beside her, his dad  was looking guilty at him. That expression made Eun-jae frowning angrily at the old man. Thus, he got inside the blue taxi, and sat in the front seat next to the driver.

The driver drove away from the house Eun-jae had been living for nearly 3 years.

He saw his Noona and Dad standing there on the sideview mirror, and some tears from his eyes dripped on his cheeks. His last view was his Noona and Dad standing still in the sideview mirror.

[JUMP CUT]

Now, Eun-jae feels sadder than ever to remember his Noona's sad look at that time. He puts back the family photo in his baggage. This scene fades away with him sitting at the table silently with the study lamp on.