Of Late Nights, Warm Milk, and Honey

Of Late Nights, Warm Milk, and Honey

 

Sehun, I can’t sleep.

 

Luhan whines, as lazy feet drag themselves out of bed and into the living room, where his roommate is lazily flicking through channels. I’m sleepy, but I can’t seem to fall asleep.

 

Sehun says nothing as the sleepy-but-not-sleepy-enough Luhan curls up against his side. It’s well past midnight, and all that’s playing is either news, or reruns of daytime dramas. He settles for a late night music show on Arirang.

 

Make me some warm milk, Is what Luhan mumbles next. Sehun is about to whine, but Luhan’s sleepy pout makes him unable to resist, and his whiny Please has Sehun up on his feet and into the kitchen.

 

Sehun picks up a clean saucepan from the kitchen rack, and the carton of milk from the fridge, on his way to the stove. Turning the heat on low, he pours enough for two mugs (he decides he wants some milk as well, their practice is scheduled early the next day, he might as well figure out how to get sleepy) into the pan. He remembers (not that he ever forgets) to add a teaspoon of honey.

 

He hears silent footsteps before he feels Luhan’s chin perched on his shoulder. Did you add honey?

 

Yes.

 

Did you make some for yourself, too?

 

Mhm.

 

Can’t sleep either?

 

Yeah.

 

‘Kay.

 

Luhan squeaks as he yawns, and Sehun finds it absolutely endearing. He turns slightly on his side, and his nose brush against soft, faded orange hair. Luhan’s hair smells like strawberries.

 

The milk warms up quickly, and Sehun has to (reluctantly) pry himself away from Luhan for him to pull out two mugs from the cupboard, making sure not to spill in pouring the milk in equal amounts.

 

Sehun, carry me. Comes Luhan’s whines, yet again, and Sehun simply rolls his eyes and replies with a cheeky No, hyung, and Luhan is too sleepy to insist. He simply follows Sehun back to the living room, where Sehun is already seated, an arm extended over the backrest.

 

Luhan thinks it’s an invitation into Sehun’s arms, and Luhan is right. He tucks himself under Sehun’s side, a warm mug now in hand.

 

Luhan smiles a sleepy smile, and Sehun’s eyes turn into little crescents as he returns the gesture. Thank you, Sehunnie.

 

You’re welcome.

 

It doesn’t take long before the emptied mugs are set onto the coffee table, and Sehun’s arm is still around his hyung. Luhan’s head is on Sehun’s shoulder, and once again he yawns a squeaky yawn. This time, Luhan’s eyelids feel heavy. I’m sleepy enough, now.

 

Good night, Xiao Lu.

 

The familiar nickname has Luhan’s lips curling back into a smile, and Sehun’s heart feels much warmer than the milk. . Sehun plants a kiss on Luhan’s temple.

 

Let’s sleep here, tonight.

 

Sehun wouldn’t have it any other way.