The Race

Roll Like A Wolf

 

Tao’s heart pounded in beat with his paws, thudding on the ground with a desperate gait. He ignored the continuous hurls of snarls from his right and willed for his body to go further, stretching in earnest towards his pack. He listened to Sehun’s strides, the younger struggling to match his pace.

 

Tao could sense it before it happened.

Sehun momentarily misplaced a foot and stumbled.

In that moment, Tao knew that Sehun would be too slow to make it.

But Tao was moving too fast to think to slow down.

 

Instead he dug his claws into the earth, hanging onto it surface and propelling him around to face the oncoming threat. Although Sehun stumbled, he managed to catch his feet before he fell and rushed past Tao, reacting too slowly to match Tao’s reflexes. But he tried anyway. He turned around to join Tao, ignoring Tao’s low growls for him to continue going.

 

Sehun stationed himself and stood tensely next to Tao, his body pressed up against his ‘brother’, laying low and ready to confront the incoming rage of three wolves.

 

Tao and Sehun stood silently in the middle of the meadow, Tao wasn’t sure if it was because he was standing still of if the meadow was just too spread out, but everything seemed to slow down. Everything became muffled to his ears as he stared at Kris and then back at Luhan.

 

In that moment he wanted to run. He wanted to run and hide from everything and everyone. He didn’t want to choose between either of them if they came to fight each other. Tao stared blankly into the distance between them and froze.

His senses shut down.

The world was blank.

There was nothing that had colour to it. There was no wind on his face or grass beneath his feet. Just the two alphas running head on to each other.

 

And at that moment. It seemed as though Tao’s silent screaming was heard as an amber brown wolf burst out through the tree line heading straight for Kris.

 

 

 

 

Lay had caught up to Tao and Sehun just as he saw Kris coming out onto the meadow with Chanyeol and Kai. He watched silently as the chase between the seven wolves unfolded. He watched as Tao’s eyes turned blank as his body shut down. He stared at those mismatched coloured eyes and drank in all of his emotions in at once.

 

His body began to move on its own.

He didn’t know what he was doing.

But his feet led him straight towards his own alpha.

 

The moment his feet began running, Lay really knew there was no turning back this time.

Kris could feel Lay’s presence, as the smaller wolf approached with speed. Kris threw his head up to howl, calling for Suho and Chen to join them, knowing that they would outnumber the intruding pack.

 

He didn’t even have time to finish his call when he felt the impact of Lay’s body knocking him off his feet. Chanyeol and Kai didn’t even have time to process what happened as they stopped in their tracks a few metres in front.

 

Lay pinned Kris down on the ground with his weight as Kris looked up at him with dumbfounded eyes. Lay knew that Kris could have easily flipped him over if he wanted to but instead, Kris waited. The two wolves seemed to have a silent exchange that drained the rage from the alpha’s eyes. Chanyeol and Kai, more confused than ever, watched in disbelief. But in that moment, Kris’ eyes flashed back towards Tao as he caught the glimpse of Tao’s.

Running towards another wolf.

 

The sight of the black wolf’s back caused Kris to quickly knock Lay off and started again to run towards Tao.

 

 

 

 

Tao was planted with his claws deep in the soil as he watched the scene unfolded in front of him. Both him and Sehun were at a loss for words as Lay pinned Kris down beneath him. The soft thud of Kris’ body against the grass was like a clash of thunder to his ears, snapping him out of his trance and made him turn instinctively towards Luhan, Baekhyun and D.O.

 

For Tao and Sehun, everything else had stopped when they finally reached the three wolves. Lost in the moment they reunited in pure joy. They rubbed and sniffed each other in silence, searching each other for injuries. No words were needed between them.

Even though their territory was far away, they were home at last.

 

However, their reunion was cut short with the growl from behind them.

 

“Tao”

 

Tao looked back, surprised as Lay suddenly launched forwards again between the two packs, facing Kris with his back to Tao.

 

“Lay get out of the way” Kris snarled lowly, a warning vibration of sound escaped from his throat. “I don’t know why you knocked me over, but I don’t want to hear it right now.”

 

Lay didn’t budge.  

 

Kris’ tone prickled at Luhan’s senses as he stepped forward in front of Tao and Sehun, protecting them from Kris’ sight. Immediately, Kris was annoyed. He didn’t like it.

 

“Lay move!” Chanyeol barked as Lay continued to stare Kris down.

 

“Don’t” was Lay’s only word to Kris.

 

Kris was already annoyed at the new wolves but became increasingly agitated at Lay’s disobedience to him. He didn’t understand at all.

 

Luhan’s voice sliced through the thick silence.

“We’re are sorry for intruding. But we are taking Tao and Sehun back” He firmly stated whilst staring directly into Kris’ eyes.

 

The two alphas eyed each other, silently assessing the one another. The silent battle of dominance tensed the atmosphere, making the wide meadow seem like a narrow enclosed cave.

 

Kris didn’t like the tone of Luhan’s voice at all. The hackles on the both alpha’s necks rose, each crouching low ready to strike. All the other wolves began to tense up, knowing that if they began, there was no turning back. Kai searched for Sehun, catching his eyes through Luhan’s legs. Sehun looked back with a blank and defeated expression. His eyes no longer warm to Kai’s gaze. Chanyeol also looked at Baekhyun, but Baekhyun’s eyes were staring straight past him and onto Kai, marking Kai as his target.

 

Everyone was tense. Except for Lay

 

He stood his ground and steadily held Kris’ eyes.

 

“Don’t make him choose”

 

The words came out in a whisper, only audible for Kris’ ears.

But deep down both Lay and Kris knew.

Tao had chosen already.

And that choice would shatter him.

 

 


After such I long time I finally was able to continue this story.

Its already been about 2 years since the last chapter. 

I've been wanting to continue for a long time now but ever since I changed my computer,

and its been hard to continue this story as well as the fact that exo now has 9 members.

But forever OT12 <3 T-T

I really want to thank everyone that commented during my unannounced hiatus,

you were the ones that really got me to continuing writing this story even when I had decided to stop writing it.

After this chapter there should be one or two more chapters left, and I might even include a bonus chapter to thank everyone that has been here to support this story. 

Please leave some comments! <3 <3 <3 

Thank you so much 

exotichime ^-^/